“Don't Miss Out on Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Viceroy Zihuatanejo

Save Saved
You added Viceroy Zihuatanejo to your Saves list
Viceroy Zihuatanejo
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Playa La Ropa s/n, Zihuatanejo 40880 , Mexico (Formerly The Tides Zihuatanejo)   |
Special Rate
Save 50% Plus Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 79 hotels in Zihuatanejo
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't Miss Out on Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Don't be foolish, visit this hotel and you will not be disappointed...we recently returned from another visit to the Viceroy this time we were on a 7 day vacation. We've been going to the Ixtapa - Zihuatanejo area for about 15 years and have been to this hotel 12 times, we love it here...you will undoubtedly feel the same once you visit. We've enjoyed this property so much that when we could we've visited twice in a year and we started with the original owers of the Villa del Sol.

Although times have changed along with the hotel, it is still a wonderful location with superb service. Hotel management knows there is need for attention to maintenance and I'm sure that will come...this is by no means a hotel falling apart but some things need a refresh. That said, the outstanding beach and service keeps us coming back. Meals are for the most part fantastic and what is great is that the restaurant is very accomodating to guests, with enough notice a special meal is yours for the asking. That is key tip for any vacation to Mexico and especially this resort...if you want something just ask and you are likely to get what you're asking for or at times even better!

Ok now some recommendations: Top management needs to meet with the guests, not a meeting - just say hello and ask how things are going and most importantly introduce yourself. I may have spoken to you but I wouldn't know since nobody introduces themselves by name - fix that. Make sure your returning guests know you appreciate their returning - we've made a concious choice to return, that should be noted. I know times are tough but it's just not profitable to have the bartenders on the beach also waiting palapas or poolside, I can't spend my money if I can't get a drink. And don't make your bartenders and waiters run from one side of the hotel to the next to get a check, I saw people lined up in the afternoon waiting for checks - when they were trying to get to spa appointments, not good. As I said earlier, the service is what keeps us coming here, our waiters/bartenders were going all out but they could have sold more with the right mix of staff.

I will definately return and those that have not been to this resort, do yourself a favor and get there soon...your worries just melt away at this gem of a hotel!

To my friends Orlando, Heriberto, Diego, Jorge, Marcos, Cristino, Guapo, and Fidel: Hasta proximo ano!

Room Tip: If you can afford it get a Lagoon Suite or better, but if you're on a budget and will spend most...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear PlayaDiablo,

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !!

I want to thank you for taking the time to write such a nice comment about your experience at our resort.

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed our services and facilities and please rest assured that we will look into your recommendations as we wish to continue providing the service that we are recognized for.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future. Gracias.

493 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed a week (Feb 23-March 2, 2013) at the Viceroy, formerly The Tides and,before that Villa del Sol. We have been there before about 4 years ago and it remains one of the most beautiful properties, lush with gardens, abloom with bouganvilla and local flowers. In acres and acres of gardens nestle only 75 rooms and the Playa la Ropa beach is wide and pristine, raked daily by the Viceroy staff. Attention to detail had declined a bit since our last visit - little things like a hurried check-in that overlooked how to operate certain room functions like the door key and the I-Tunes player, as well as the overlooked mini-bar restocking. But when you are living in Paradise you quickly forget the small stuff.
Heavenly...

Room Tip: Our Sala Dies (10) was in the heart of the property close to the bar/restaurant and the beach. It is...
Dear Fosdick,

I appreciate your feedback especially in such a positive and constructive way you did. We will keep all the good things you mentioned and we will take the suggestions to improve our service and make you continue returning to our beautiful paradise.

Please let me know when will be your next trip to our place to make sure you have a memorable stay.

General Manager,
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We just returned from our first trip to both Zihuatanejo and the Viceroy. We are avid travelers and are definitely nothing but the best when it comes to our travel. We frequent hotels such as the O&O Palmilla (many, many times), St. Regis Bora Bora etc. I say this because I am writing this review with a very specific experience of luxury and on most accounts the Viceroy is on par with the best of the best!

In all honesty, I gave the resort a 5 star rating but if I could give the hotel 4.5 stars I would. In some areas, most specifically the service, a definite 5 stars. In our short stay we were simply blown away by the service (most specifically at the beach!).

The beach is beautiful, busy and charming. We didn't go in the water but it was pretty and many others did, definitely looking calm enough to swim in. There are Hobie Cats, parasailing vendors, jet skis, you name it right in front of the resort.

The food at the resort was shockingly good and exceeded our expectations dramatically. We are vegetarians and not only did the resort have separate vegetarian and vegan menus, they also had many options to choose from on the main menu and were happy to create any special requests. Not to mention, in the evening, they dot the beach with tables and candles so you're dining with your feet in the sand just steps from the water's edge. Pitch perfect, casual beach chic!

The rooms were lovely. We were upgraded from a Lagoon Suite to a Beach Suite (we booked through whatahotel.com, which also got us free breakfast and other amenities). Both were lovely but I do recommend getting a Lagoon Suite at minimum for the space, location and private plunge pool.

I've read many reviews saying the Viceroy is expensive. We could not disagree more. Nearly any delicious cocktail, blended or otherwise, is around 90 pesos, coming in at about $7 usd. From 5-6 it's two for one! Not just in the bar but even at your beach palapa! At that point we're talking 3.50ish usd!?! I mean, I can't tell you how many $20 cocktails we've been served at other resorts. Lunch and dinner were also reasonably priced (per resort standards). Considering the quality of dining and the fact that you can have it served on the sand steps from both your room and the water, we were definitely not complaining in that department! There were many restaurants with in minutes walking distance on the very same beach. We thought they looked fun but ended up eating three meals a day, everyday, at the Viceroy. It was just too great to leave!!

There were a few negatives however.

- The bed. Awful. Hard as a rock and the pillows and linens were tired and needing replacing as well.
-This isn't so much a negative but a suggestion. Turn down service had no charm. We came back to bright lights and a barely turned down room. Little chocolates or something, dim lights or candles and slippers by the bed would be a nice touch. It's not that anyone NEEDS these things but they add up to a more magical experience.
-We had a couple of issues with our plunge pool. No big deal but would've been nice to have it fixed (we made multiple calls).
-Every night when the beach staff would take the cushions from the beach chairs and stack them, they would stack them in a very high pile in front of our room (BS 8). This totally blocked all and any view! My husband spoke to them each night and helped them move the cushions. Look, no big deal but those rooms are quite expensive if you're not upgraded to them and little things like looking at a stack of cushions instead of the beautiful ocean is a big detractor! I think they should be placed in front of/near/by the pool where no one's view is at stake. The instant they were gone we could see the moon dancing on the water.

Overall we were totally enchanted by the Viceroy and what we saw of Zihuatanejo. We will definitely return in the next couple of months! It's just too easy to get there and to us, we feel a great value for the experience. It's really a beautiful place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Ms. sunandsurfgirl

Please do not hesitate to contact me for your next visit.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have been meaning to write for sometime about our honeymoon stay at the end of September 2012. This was to be a holiday of a lifetime and boy did we choose the right place! We went in the quiet season which was pure bliss, on some days we were the only people on the beach and received so much care and attention. All the staff were lovely and felt like friends! We stayed at the hotel for 2 weeks before heading off to see family in Chile, so I got back into specking Spanish with the lovely staff.
The room was lovely and big, with a fantastic plunge pool, the food was to die for and often had eyes bigger than our stomachs as it was soooo delicious. We were lucky to have just one day with a thunderstorm, but it was quite fun to experience. Can't recommend it enough -

Sincero agradecimiento por una estancia maravillosa - Con mis mejores deseos para todo el personal del Viceroy,

Jane y Mr Andrew!

Room Tip: We had a lovely lagoon suite with a plunge pool - highly recommended
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Prochile,

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !!

Thank you for providing your comments regarding your recent stay at Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

I am very glad to learn that you enjoy the hotel, was a pleasure to have had you with us. Do not stop visit us please.

Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a week long stay at Viceroy where we celebrated our anniversary. The resort is manageable and well appointed with all the amenities most travelers are looking for. The service is impeccable and the staff is always courteous and determined to make sure your stay is relaxing. There is a decent workout facility, an excellent spa, restaurants, bars and of course, Plaza la Ropa, a beautiful beach.with warm water, white sand and plenty of sunshine. And, of course, there are numerous wait staff on the beach to make sure your want for nothing. Our room was always clean with plenty of fresh towels. The staff completes a turn down service each evening so the room is virtually refreshed twice daily. Highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: The resort is designed out so that most the rooms are private. We stayed in a Lagoon suite. Some o...
Dear Bob P

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !

Thank you very much for have chosen our resort to celebrate your Anniversary. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

On behalf of all the staff we appreciate your preference and we really look forward to keep welcoming you for many years to come.

Sincerely

Houston,TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at the Viceroy for a long four day weekend away from the kiddo. This was the perfect spot to go and just "forget it all". The service was amazing and always friendly and responsive. Probably the best feature is the amazing beach. Playa la Ropa is gorgeous and truly has the "small town" Mexico beach feel. And the Viceroy's position on the beach is perfect - right in the thick of things with a large, spread out private section with great beach chairs and shady palapas. Our room, the lagoon suite, was very comfortable and they always had cute touches like flowers on the bed every night and fresh shampoo, etc. Our only hiccup on our trip was that no one explained the resort credit that was included in our stay upon checkin. Had we known that we probably would have eaten at the resort more but if you don't understand this feature the prices for food and drinks do seem expensive! That being said, we ate at the resort two nights and had lovely meals with great service. We would definitely recommend the Viceroy for a lazy weekend of enjoying beautiful weather and wonderful food!

Room Tip: We had a lagoon suite which was nice but probably not necessary unless you think you'll use the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear mlred99,

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed our services and facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was about to book a suite at this hotel as it sounds so nice and is the one recommended by AMEX Platinum, but they have a 14-day cancellation policy (you forfeit half the price of your stay if you cancel 14 days or less before your trip). No thank you. Mexico is about the only place on earth where I encounter this outrageous policy. I'll stay elsewhere for this reason alone.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear HKRoy,

Warmest greetings from Zihuatanejo !!

Thank you for your interest in Viceroy Zihuatanejo. We recently revised our cancelation policy in order to be similar to many of the resorts in this area. We are sorry that this did not meet your expectation, but we hope that you’ll consider staying with us in the future.

Regards,
Carlos Blanco

Been to Viceroy Zihuatanejo? Share your experiences!