“Great place for relaxation and peaceful serenity” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Casa Que Canta

You added La Casa Que Canta to your Saves list
La Casa Que Canta
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino Escenico a Playa La Ropa | Colonia Playa La Ropa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, CA
“Great place for relaxation and peaceful serenity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2004

We spent five days at La Casa Que Canta and enjoyed every minute of it. For those that wrote in to say that it was over-priced or that they did not enjoy their stay, I believe this is because they had misguided expectations. La Casa Que Canta is for couples (and believe me, everyone who goes there is part of a couple) that want solitude, privacy, and relaxation. There are no TVs, internet, etc. so be prepared to just lounge, swim, and eat. The hotel is small and exclusive so you probably won't interact with other guests; you will have plently of time for yourself. My fiance and I stayed in one of the suites with our own infinity pool and it was definitely worth the price! Lounging in our own pool in our own room, while looking down onto the waves crashing in the ocean was priceless. The hotel staff were also extremely friendly and helpful; we spoke little Spanish but that was not a problem at all. The hotel helped us arrange to rent a private fishing boat where we caught very large tuna and marlin. We brought the tuna back to the hotel chef who made ceviche and sashimi with it (the best I've ever had!). Since the hotel restaurant is pricey, I do suggest that if you do not want to pay for an expensive meal, just walk down to the beach hnd eat at one of the many restuarants there. There is really nothing bad that I can write about La Casa Que Canta; this is the place to go for absolute relaxation.

• Stayed July 2003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2004

My husband and I visited La Casa Que Canta for our 1st wedding anniversary. I have to say that our stay could not have been better! The beauty of La Casa Que Canta and Zihuatanejo Bay is truly amazing!
I can see the reason that celebrities stay there and movies (when a man loves a woman) and advertisers (expedia) use the grounds for their settings! It seemed to us that all the rooms were wonderful and we were especially impressed with the privacy. Each room seemed like a secret hideaway with a spectacular view. As we were visiting in the low season, there was no need for a room with a private pool, as we often had the main fresh water pool to ourselves. The hotel was very quiet and subdued. The rooms were beautifully decorated and I was gaga over the architecture. Gorgeous! The pools were outstanding - and you could look down over the cliffs and see huge yellow and blue tropical fish and spotted rays swimming by the rocks.
The staff at the hotel was wonderful- gracious and friendly, always remembering your name. We ate at the hotel each morning for breakfast, and two times for dinner. We also ended several evenings at the bar by the pool, drinking tasty margaritas and looking out at the twinkling lights across the bay. The food at both breakfast and dinner was delicious. The meal was always perfectly seasoned. An employee told us that the food was prepared to be fresh and "not too strong" but that if you wanted it spicier, you could simply ask. We usually eat much spicier at home, yet the food at LCQC was so tasty! I was very impressed! I also was impressed at the bill at the end. We thought that all the food and beverages that we added to the room tab would make our eyes pop out of our heads - but it was very reasonable. The hotel is quite expensive, but we are used to Hollywood fanciness, so we felt we got our money's worth. I also have to add the the recommended tip seemed waaaaay too paltry after all the great service. We more than doubled it, and it was still quite reasonable.
As far as LCQC not being on the sand, we found the short walk down to the beach to be no problem. I should mention however, that the hotel and walk down to the beach involves lots of steps, and at night it is dark. We used the beach palapas at Villa del Sol two days (for a charge). The staff and facilities there were very nice as well, but I did not find it to be as wonderful as LCQC, especially the food and views. However, it was wonderful to use their beach facilities and my husband liked the more casual atmosphere. The beach was great fun, with parasailing, banana boats, kayaks and all the requisite beach equipment for rent. We bodysurfed and boogie boarded and got pounded by the waves. The water was very warm.
We also visited Las Gatas beach and Ixtapa. I'd pretty much have to say YUCK for both of these. The surf was very rough in Ixtapa so no swimming (black flags), and we were expecting some exciting nightlife, but it was dull. Las Gatas is supposed to be a great pristine beach for snorkeling. The sand was very white and the water relatively clear, but the beach was rocky and the water crowded with motor boats. The beach was also covered with vendors and restaurants. We walked back to LCQC along a very rocky coastline from Las Gatas to La Ropa. Just fyi not the easiest trip- more like a sweaty scramble in flip flops. We also walked into Zihuatanejo town from LCQC. Probably about 20 minutes at the most, an enjoyable stroll.

Our stay at La Casa Que Canta was wonderful! I did not want to leave. All the service and amenities were amazing! Highly recommended if you are looking for privacy, views and peacefulness.

• Stayed September 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2004

I planned a trip to Zihua and a stay at La Casa Que Canta for my partners birthday. From the moment we arrived at the Zihua airport and were greeted by a La Casa Que Canta driver who was holding a silver tray with cool, scented towels for us to refresh our faces after our travels- I knew this was going to be good! The hotel is so beautiful and peaceful and our room was, I think, the best and most private one in the hotel. It was a master pool suite, located on the highest level, and offered magical views of the bay and Zihua. The waves crashing below our room added to the magic. Even though it was August - and supposedly their slow time - there were several honeymooning couples there. We went to the main pool only one day - but could not resist the privacy and luxuriousness that was our own private pool. Also - after a day of walking around dowtown Zihua in the scorching Aug. heat - it was so great to go back to our room and just plunge right into our pool, drink a couple of beers, order lunch on our balcony - and then take in a siesta! On my partner's birthday - not only was cake waiting for her in our suite when we arrived in from dinner that night (as I had requested) but they also had written out her name with "Happy Birthday" in flower petals on the bed that night! We were so touched that they did that - truly 5 star service. I have read other reviews of people saying that the food they ate in Zihua was bad - we did NOT find this to be true - the food at the hotel was above-average, and we had one of the best meals at a local place right next door to the hotel - at the restaurant "El Mare". As much as everything was SO perfect at LCQC - I would advise not to bother with the overpriced spa. Compared to the service-level we get in Chicago, the pedicures were very substandard, and the massages only average. Also, they appeared to be low on staff - as we had difficulty getting appointments. Overall - get a plunge pool room at this magical place and you'll be convinced that it is indeed the House that Sings.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2004

We honeymooned at LCQ after seeing it featured in Travel & Leisure magazine in 1997. When my husband told me we were going to Zihua I was thrilled; when he said we were going to La Casa Que Canta I was floored. Okay, all you Villa Del Sol lovers - here is my take on the comparison: I have always said the guide books make them sound comparable and that if I had believed them and stayed at VDS I would have been sitting on the ground floor at the decent beach looking up at the cliffside view at Casa Que Canta and pining that we weren't there instead. As far as people keeping to themselves - no one is intrusive but will speak if spoken to. We made some of our closest friends with a fellow honeymooning couple that we STILL correspond and visit with seven years later! Just tonight at dinner my husband was imitating a German traveler we had met there who was talking about his vodka drinks. The staff was SO FRIENDLY it was unreal - we were all comparing signatures with the waiters because their signatures are like individual works of art. We stayed for 10 days and venture into the town markets, hit the beach at Playa Del Ropa at night for dinner, etc.; dined at the waterfront in Ixtapa; did horsebackriding on the beach; and ate at Coconuts twice. The taxis were so convenient and dirt cheap it was ridiculous; I have no idea what people are complaining about with that. As for the food, my husband and I are outrageously picky and we still PINE for the tomato and oaxaca cheese salad, and both the tortilla and black bean soups and lime pancakes - not to mention the unbelievable luxury of having phones everywhere you might be relaxing where you can be brought ANYTHING you want) including towels, magazines, or shrimp tacos) in a moment! From the other reviews, I'm guessing our room, "El Cascabel", was not the best room in the hotel, but it was so amazing I thought it must have been until I read otherwise. Our friends were in "Paloma Blanca" and everywhere we went we would ask the musicians to play the song for our room names and it was awesome and hysterical and totally fun. When we did get sick from one of the cheap meals on the beach, we just called down to the front desk and mysterious pills that obliterated our illnesses were produced instantly. We have two kids now and dream of the time when we can return. There was plenty to do, but we would joke with our friends that the hotel kept "sucking us in" for the day because who would ever want to leave? My husband convinced a colleague to go for his honeymoon and he is eternally grateful. Anyone who wants extraordinary service in magnificent surroundings would CRY if they found themselves at VDS instead of Casa Que Canta. There is NO comparison, believe me!!

Menlo Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2004

My partner and I vacation frequently in Zihua so we have racked up a lot of time at both Casa Que Canta (4 stays) and Villa del Sol (2 stays). It's unfair to pair the two in competition since they are very different but since it's been done here before: my two cents --

Casa Que Canta is for couples who want nothing more to do than relax, float in the one of the two pools, sun or shade themselves, read in same sun or shade (or in the pools as I like to do), loll in bed late at night whilst the surf pounds the rocks directly below your room, stroll around the exquisitely whimsically arty grounds up and down the terraces -- all furnished with great places to sit and sit. Retire at night to a bed of floral delight, rise in the morning to breakfast on your private terrace. Walk down the short but steep alley to the best beach in town -- Playa La Ropa -- the same beach the fronts Villa del Sol: swim, dodge the waves or walk there at night (my fave thing). The food at Casa Que Canta is very good indeed but does suffer from not offering a wider variety of dishes, especially those of Mexico. Drinks are fab -- do not miss their Rum Punch (ron ponch).

Rooms -- oh, to die for, so romantic, so perfect and comfy. The bathrooms -- well, I could live in them -- large, lovely, immaculate and worth spending time in.

Service is the best I've experienced in Mexico; better than anywhere in the U.S. for that matter with the single exception of the Hotel Bel-Air in LA and I rate the two neck and neck for service. Service at Casa Que Canta is amazingly genuine. Don't ask me how they do it, I don't know. But, when we checked out last August, we added $100 to the service charge suggested by management.

There are very few places like this in the world. Why, yes, in fact, it is expensive but, for what one gets, not nearly as expensive as many other luxury locales. Not at all; a bargain, all in all.

Villa del Sol is a different kettle of fish entirely. It's directly on the beach -- Playa La Ropa -- and that is a plus. But not so the peddlars strolling the beach which is, and correctly, public access. What I like best about Villa del Sol are its beach access, it's Friday night Mexican buffet, and its pools. Generally the restaurant wasn't much, breakfast the best meal by far. The rooms initially are romantic with the gathered-up mosquito net pavilions ... but you can't relax much since there's only a built-in sofa in most rooms (jr. suites) and its not comfy. The bathrooms are delightful however. Except for the notices therein along the lines of -- don't you dare smear your mascara on our towels and the whole penalty-perverse essay about what happens to you if you lose one of their beach towels.

During both my holidays at Villa del Sol, I was unimpressed by the service. Yes, there are some wonderful people there but not enough of them.

Since Villa del Sol is slightly less expensive than Casa Que Canta, penny pinchers may prefer it. Keep in mind, however, once you compare rates, the difference isn't salient.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2004

Casa Que Canta is very simply the most over-rated hotel I have ever been to...ANYWHERE.....Over priced, average food (and we ate at some of the best resturants in town), snootystaff, no beach...I recommend you avoid the hotel at all costs (and it is costly). Villa Del Sol is vastly superior in all respects to CQC. I would not go back if it were free !!!

liny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2004

just returned from zihua and stayed at both casa que canta and villa del sol. cqc is unimaginably beautiful, and my wife and i agree that it has a certain magical quality to it. the staff was impeccable, and that means everyone from chambermaids to upper management. the rooms (i saw quite a few as the hotel was not full) are architectural wonders, as is the entire hotel. also, all meals eaten were superb, and i did not find the sevice snooty as has been mentioned on this site and others. when you walk through the door of this place, you enter another world. a very peaceful and quiet world where there is virtually no guest interaction, and enough hidden lounging areas to make sure it stays that way. this is by no means a complaint; you just need to know what to expect. which brings me to villa del sol.
i have read countless comparisons of cqc and vds, including one account where the reviewer could not wait to leave cqc, and saved their zihua trip by fleeing to vds. while vds is a nice place with beautiful rooms, there is just no way to compare the quality between these two hotels. food,staff, and public spaces are just not on the same level at vds. if you like considerable interaction, maybe cqc is not for you. but 5pm poolside at vds with a boombox, people doing cannonballs into the pool, and shouting to the bar for more drinks was not particularly for us. again, the room at vds (we only saw one-ours) was fabulous, but it did not make up for the other shortcomings between the two properties.
regarding the beach, cqc is on a cliff with beach access only. the amazing salt water pool made up for it, however. vds is directly on the beach which is good and bad. beach vendors are pleasant but non-stop. also, this is not the caribbean. two women boogie boarders received relatively bad facial injuries after being crushed by waves which do not particularly look all that threatening. (one fx'd nose and the other some pretty bad scarring)

Been to La Casa Que Canta? Share your experiences!