“Great View, Poor Service and Food” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 244 Restaurants in Zihuatanejo
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Chicago Area
“Great View, Poor Service and Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

El Faro is a beautiful restaurant with a great view of Ixtapa Bay. We went there last week on Friday nite for our farewell dinner with 6-other people (total 8). First of all, there is no bar, so, if you get there early, you wait in the lobby. It was not busy and they seated us immediately in the best table in the place which overlooked the bay. It was outstanding! They even gave us all a free well drink or beer. We all ordered food ($20+ for most entrees) and our waiter, Javier, was very pleasant. My wife and I ordered Ceviche as an appetizer to share with everyone along with ordering our entrees and soup. I didn't order soup or salad and neither did one of the other guys. The rest did. So, what does Javier do? He brings all the soups and salads out PLUS this other guy's and my entree. The ceviche is nowhere in site. I ask Javier why we got our entrees before everyone else and he said because we didn't order soup or salad and he wanted us to have something to eat with the others. Dumb! Anyway, he then brings the Ceviche which is good. Then everyone's entrees come and Craig and I are sitting there watching everyone eat. Not a good thing. The Sea Bass was ok, but, not outstanding. Other entrees looked good. Javier then took dessert orders and did a nice job with the Flaming Mexican Coffee. It's an art form. Really nice. About half way into dinner a guy started playing live music for tips which was very nice. He was good. We all pay and go to leave and Javier throws 2-mints on the table instead of one for each of us. Being a waiter is not an easy job, but, come on. Don't serve some entrees before others. Oh, and I ordered a second Bourbon and Coke and they brought me what looked like the same thing, but, charged me $16 for a Jack Daniels and Coke on my bill which was more than my wife's entree. I was not happy. I'd go back for the view and atmosphere, but, I'd get a few things straight first when I ordered and before I paid my bill.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

mt. sterling, ky
“A night to end our trip to Mexico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We have a habit of ending our stay in Ixtapa or "Z" on Friday night at El Faro. We normally go every Friday night but our last Friday is special for it is a tradition that is over 10 years old. We have noticed as they change chefs, the menu is tweaked also. I love their onion soup with the pastry baked over the soup and bowl- it's still hot when it's brought to the table. There are 2 menus- 1 is for the A/I guess at Pacifica and the other for the paying customers. We did New Years Eve 2012 and the view from our table of the fire works with some of the blast felt like you could reach out and touch them. With us coming back year after year, each time we arrive we are greeted by the different waiters we have had over the years and receive superb service(everyone does). The price is more than the small places but is in line with the up scale restaurants in the area. Have paid more at other restaurants and the food not as good. As everyone says, the view is beautiful. We try to get there before the sun goes down and watch the lights come on below. Seeing the beach and the hotels light up and Ixtapa- what a sight. We look forward to our next visit January 2014.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Saratoga, Ca
“Great Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We were told that the view was to die for and the food could be either good or so so, well we must have the evening just right. The View is amazing, the atmosphere is incredible, and the food was wonderful. Pierced up on the side of a hill overlooking Playa de palmar beach in Ixtapa this restuarant has it all, This evening was even complimented by a strolling musician playing a flute, alto sax or recorder that wafted throughout the restaurant. It could not have been better

• 5 of 5 stars Food
LA
“Medicore; Avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

It's a beautiful view. And it stops there. As my sister-in-law just said: "the cook needs to go to cooking school." None of the food was excellent, some was OK and most was bad. Several dishes had to be sent back (too cold; too cooked). The dishes that were served up as "redos" were not much better.

Wine is ridiculously expensive. Corkage is absurd.

Do yourself a favor. If you want a beautiful view and AMAZING food, go to La Casa Que Canta in Zihua.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Alberta
“Well Worth It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went to this restaurant last night and it was very nice. It truly is the best view in Ixtapa. The food was wonderful and the service great. We were greeted warmly at the entrance by their personable new manager, Axel. He takes great care to make sure your visit is enjoyable. Take the time to try it and you will be pleased that you did!!

• Visited November 2012