“Really pleasant place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Juarez No. 105, San Blas 63740, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in San Blas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mexico City
“Really pleasant place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I was in San Blas for work reasons and stumbled on this hotel. It is really delightful. The hotel dates to 1883 but has been entirely renovated. Great bathrooms. Spacious bedrooms with high ceilings. The central courtyard is a gem. There are a zillion things to look at on the public walls -- old photos, memorabilia of the region, etc. They seem to have a huge DVD collection as well with an eclectic choice of movies. Drawbacks: They offered no breakfast while I was there. The pool was off to one side, surrounded by a nice garden. But there was some detritus in the pool and lots of skeeters back there.

Room Tip: While there was no functioning restaurant in the hotel, there were very good restaurants within a fe...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

We were in San Blas for the holidays. I had stayed at the Hacienda Flamingos 30 years ago and loved it then, so I had to go back. It has been restored now and is beautiful. It is truly an extraordinary experience to stay in a building with so much history and beauty. We had rooms Catarino and Alejandro which had terraces and hammocks outside on the pool side of the building. These rooms were really wonderful and worth any extra cost.My teenage sons spent hours looking at the wonderful coffee table books available everywhere in the courtyard. They told about everything from Mexican history to art. Who would of thought my family would spend hours sitting the the courtyard looking at art books? The atmosphere is so elegant, relaxed and unique. Each family member from teenager to adult loved it. You will not find another hotel like it. To visit San Blas and not spend at least one night here would be a tragedy. Their web site in no way portrays how lovely and extraordinary it is. It was built in 1863 and served as a German consulate for many years before becoming a hotel. We also found the restaurant to be very good and just as affordable as the other places in town. The location is also perfect, being only a couple of blocks from the city center and also close to where the fishing boats come in. Saturday there is a market right around the corner. I can't say enough good things about our experience at Hacienda Flamingos.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver B C Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Driving down to Sayulita from San Miguel de Allende where we used to operate a B & B (Casa Don Pascual) we just so happened to find Hotel Hacienda Flamingos and stopped there for one night.
We found the staff to be extremely friendly, smiling and knowledgeable, a true pleasure. The owners were present and paid attention to every detail.
Very clean premises and rooms. The Restaurant offered very good food for reasonable prices. We shall be back to this very pleasant place.
Herbert & Pascal

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Mexico City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at this beautiful hotel just in July 2008. We chose it because of the nice look of and Old 19th Century house and the refreshing pool it had for the uncommon heat we were feeling at that moment.

The common areas were carefully conditioned, so many plants and details around the central patio and even in the pool area. Our room was small, but the amazing thing is that it had all the amenities you would expect from a 5 star hotel such as shower robes, TV, DVD, a musical selection on CD, Air Conditioning, among others, but even above them all, I loved the attitude and extreme care for every detail. The restaurant is almost new, but they had the attention to let us know that with a glad message left on our table, asking us for patience (great detail I think). Food was very good, and another nice detail was that in the night I asked for something they didn’t have on the menu, but they offered to prepare it and even take it to our room, even they didn’t had room service.

If I had to return to San Blas I would choose this beautiful place for which I payed just 90 USD a night. Just be careful of the JeJen mosquitoes, they’re rude and wont hesitate to bite you out.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2008

The last time I was in San Blas was in 1973. I camped on the beach.
35 years later we did it in style and stayed at this fabulous little hotel.
Spend the extra money and stay in one of the poolside rooms. Each day we took a nice siesta in the hammock they provided.
The room was spacious and kept clean. Furnished with antique furniture too.
We did not take any meals in the restaurant but the menu looked good and none of the other guests complained.
We spent 4 nights here and loved every moment.

• Liked — spacious comfortable room and pool area
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

My husband and I were really looking forward to a restful stay at Hacienda Flamingos but got the exact opposite. At check-in, the staff was downright unfriendly-- no smiles, no welcome, nada. The courtyard is lovely, but the rooms are nowhere near as nice. My real problem, however, is with the noise. You could hear absolutely everything going on in and around the building. At around 8 p.m. a large band began to play in the park across the street. They continued on until 3:00 am. I could hear every single note of the tuba all night long. At midnight, I went to the front desk to complain, but there was only a security guard stationed there-- no other staff. The security guard said he thought the band would be done by 12:30, but 12:30 came and went and I could still hear the tuba plain as day in my room. My husband went out at 2 am and asked the band leader when they would stop and he said in a little bit. They did not stop until 3 am. The next morning, when we told the staff what happened, there was no apology of any kind. When we asked for a refund for the second night (we had paid in advance), they refused to give it to us. Even worse, when we asked if there would be music again the second night, the response was, well, we are right next door to a disco, it might be open tonight. After that, the staff just gave us dirty looks every time we came and left. This was seriously the most frustrating hotel experience I have ever had. Do yourself a favor-- skip San Blas all together and stay in one of the smaller beach towns along the coast. Definitely skip Hacienda Flamingos.

• Liked — the courtyard
  • Disliked — the noise and the surly staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

I'd intended to stay one night in San Blas while exploring the Nayarit coast south from Mazatlan. I checked out the rooms in some other hotels before finding this gem.

Originally, I'd intended to stay in a hotel with an ocean view, but found the rooms at that hotel a bit lacking. This hotel only cost $690 pesos for a night ($65 at time of writing), and was immaculately furnished. It's location two blocks West of the main square is ideal for an evening stroll in search of fantastic mariscos or tacos de Carne Asada.

The hotel is in a 125 year old Hacienda organized around a central courtyard. The building was apparently completely renovated in 1996. The main entry is gated at night, and opens into the courtyard which has furnishings scattered around the central garden. The thunderstorm which woke me at 5 A.M. dumped streams of water into this central courtyard in a wonderful fountain-like display.

The rooms retain their original hardwood (mahogany?) trim and wonderful new furnishings. My room had a TV with satellite, DVD/CD player (with a CD they made for the room), a refreshingly quiet air-conditioner, a office like area, and a spacious bath with a wonderful huge shower. The front door opened onto the courtyard, with french doors at the other end of the room opening onto a tiny, narrow garden with a sitting area.

The hotel offers fenced parking, bike rental, paperback books to exchange, DVD's to check out, and two conference like areas. My laptop Wi-Fi connection worked in the main area at the front of the hotel, but not in my room.

The pool is smallish but beautifully designed with a large archway that sprays mist on one end of the pool and has two water jets that will soak your head and give you a scalp massage if you stand beneath them. The room had two fluffy terry-cloth robes to take to the pool.

I will DEFINITELY stay there again, for more than one night. San Blas is convenient to the north part of Mantachen Bay (Las Islitas beach is superb) and has it's own area of "ramadas" on a Borrego beach just south of town (easy bike ride distance).

• Liked — Wonderful Renovation and Location
  • Disliked — Not Waterfront
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Hacienda Flamingos? Share your experiences!