“Delicious Meal” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night
Massachusetts
“Delicious Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My family and I recently dined at Mariscos El Coleguita and had a wonderful time. The location isn’t ideal because it’s right on the highway, but the restaurant was clean and the food was delicious. There’s usually a little wait to get in, but they serve complimentary shrimp broth and shots of tequila while you wait. They are known for their coconut shrimp, so I ordered the filets of fish cooked with garlic butter with the coconut shrimp served on top of the fish with rice and vegetables. The portions were very generous, and we all took home leftovers. There is a complimentary bottle of tequila on each table served with plastic shot glasses and plenty of limes. The meal also included desert which was a fried plantain served with sweetened condensed milk and a kahlua and crème drink to finish it all off. You won’t be disappointed!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Good food, but a hectic atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Very good food, and a steal at the prices. My wife and I both had shrimp dishes, and they were tasty and fresh - and far more than we could eat. The shrimp soup that came along with the dinners was weak, though.
As far as atmosphere, there is none. But, it doesn't pretend to be fancy either. However, it was crowded and noisy, and they jammed as many folks in as possible.
I'd go there again (you can't beat the value), but not when I was in the mood for a relaxing dinner.
(BTW, they do not accept credit cards.)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Phoenix, Arizona
“What a pleasant surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I heard about this restaurant from several friends who told me that it was a lot of fun, cheap and had great food! I also heard it was similar to another popular restaurant in Puerto Vallarta (Mauricio's). My husband, being a long-time "Mauricio's" fan, was hesitant to try this new place. But, when some other friends of ours decided to go along, he agreed to go. Boy, were we ever surprised! We got there about 7:00 on a Thursday evening (right during the weekly Farmer's Market at the Marina). The place was PACKED! In fact, there was only one table left which was close to the kitchen.

First of all, when we sat down, they served us each a free shot of tequila. We ordered margaritas all around at 50 pesos ($4.00/each) which were HUGE! They tasted great, too! Then we tried the packaged chips and salsa. Now, the chips at Mauricio's are horrible, so we never ate them, but here, they were GREAT!! We ended up getting more... several times! The salsa was yummy, too. Perfect for us gringos!

Next was a shrimp soup broth. I'm not a big fan of shrimp broth, but everyone else said it tasted MUCH better than Mauricio's!

I ordered the Coco Loco (coconut shrimp and coconut fish filet). They brought me a huge plate and I couldn't eat it all. My hubby loved his garlic shrimp and everyone else was really happy and satisfied, too!

Dessert included a fried plantain with a sweet sauce and a kahlua and creme drink. Then we enjoyed an impromptu serenade by Marco, one of the guys who works at the restaurant. He blew us away with his awesome voice!

All in all, we had a GREAT time. The service was wonderful, the price was great ($119 pesos/$10 US), and the atmosphere was wonderful! In fact, we ate dinner just two days later at one of their other locations, just outside of town. I think I prefer the marina location, just because of the convenience, but the food was just as good in both locations. Me thinks that Mauricio's may have some competition now.......

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Big Portions, Low Prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is a place to go for crowds, big portions and low prices. Almost everything on the menu is $119 pesos, many fresh fissh options and a big variety to please everyone. This is not the place for a romantic dinner or fine dining. Come with an appetite and you will be well satisfied. Service is more hurried than at most Mexican restaurants....at these prices they have to keep turning those tables. While we were there one of the waiters broke into an accapella version of Malaguena. He had a fantastic voice and we were well entertained.

Next time we are at the Marina, we will definitely return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Port Hadlock, Washington
“My Best Pick In the Marina”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Ate in 7 restaurants there and this was the best food, price and selection for my taste. Waiter was attentive and capable of explaining the dishes. Avg price $120 pesos or about $10 USD. They offered two free shots of tequila, 1/4 roasted banana with cream desert, and coffee on ice with liqueur , maybe Bailey's? Tradition says they don't rush you with the bill when they serve the final coffee so you have to ask for it, a plus in my book. Next restaurant to the right looking out was where we ate the night before because it wasn't crowded and I can see why (not that good and more expensive) which is what brought us back to El Colequita. Just so happens we were there at sunset which was gorgeous. The Mariachi band did the table next to us so we had entertainment to boot.

• Visited February 2013