“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dallas, Texas
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The restaurant was recommended to us by one of my clients. It is a very small restaurant near the river and the food is fantastic. The margueritas are perfect. I had the chili picadillo which was great and my husband had the pork in ancho sauce which he loved. It is colorful, clean and has interesting pictures of Frida everywhere. The also make homemade corn tortillas.

Visited July 2014

Los Angeles, California
“Frida Would Be Pleased!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Frida Kahlo is a cultural icon in Mexico. So when I heard about The Red Cabbage Cafe and their menu inspired by dishes served by Frida Kahlo and her husband, Diego Rivera, at their many fiestas, I had to try it. Like others have mentioned the restaurant is outside the usual tourist areas in Puerto Vallarta. I decided to walk there from my hotel in Gringo Gulch and followed the directions provided by the restaurant on their website. I arrived at the restaurant in about 10 minutes and I was pleasantly surprised by the ambience as I entered. The place was eclectic and interesting! Frida's Dinner is a very good choice for the first time visitor and I highly recommend it.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Long Beach, California
“A hidden gem worth searching out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

One of my all time fav's. I was introduced to this by an expat living in PV. it's off the "tourist path" in one of the neighborhoods. A really great menu which highlights some traditional Mexican cuisine. They also have a plate for the Americans not so adventurous.

A quaint place with excellent service and food. Definitely worth finding it - I promise you'll be back!

Visited May 2014
“A MUST TRY in Puerto Vallarta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

The food is amazing. The stuffed Chiles are a MUST. EVERYTHING was delicious and the owner Lola came to our table and greeted us

The Recipes are from dinner parties of Frida Kahlo and Diego Riviera. Featured in Bon Appetite Magazine

5 stars :)

Denver, Colorado
“Hidden Charmer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I've been coming to Lola's little spot for many, many years. It simply wouldn't be a trip to Vallarta without a visit here. Yes, it is off the beaten path back in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood but I've walked it from the Zona Romantica by myself many times without a problem but you can cab or bus it easily enough. And, I think it's just unique enough to go to the trouble.

To be honest we had just about given up on this place a few years back. It was getting pretty worn out looking, no A. C., and the food was feeling tired. She has remodeled and it looks great, there is A. C. in hot weather and someone has breathed new life into the old menu. Food this time was absolutely back on track - very good representations of many of the Mexican classics. The black bean soup, spinach (cooked) salad, guacamole, chilis rellenos, carne en su jugo, ribs, fish - all just excellent. The margaritas are the best in Vallarta - no more than 2 though - they're strong. Place is an eclectic mix of Frieda Kahlo meets old Hollywood. Fun and lively - always make a reservation. Prices are not cheap but not extravagant. You should try it at least once because it is so Puerto Vallarta.

• Visited February 2014