“Best fish and chips” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 735 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Fun, casual place with an obvious emphasis on seafood and an eclectic mix of great cocktails.
Houston, Texas
“Best fish and chips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We visit this restaurant several times every time we visit Puerto Vallarta. They have wonderful fish and chips with an all-you-can eat special on Fridays. They have 2 for 1 Mojitos every afternoon with a variety to choose from. They also have great cheeseburgers and they have a special price on Wednesdays. The serve a plate of complimentary raw vegetables before the meal and they give you a cold damp hand-towel along with your menu which is great on a summer afternoon.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Cluster What?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

As much as I try to stay away from the ex pat hangouts, I decided to give this one a try for lunch the other day, due to a special they had an offer that made me decide it was worth a try.

As I entered the restaurant, I was met by a waitress who asked me if I had a preference as to where I wished to be seated. I requested the roof top dining that I had notice existed as I walked down the street toward the restaurant. She looked at me hesitantly and said, it's a lot cooler down here. Being hot, tired and hungry from running errands I asked, what do you suggest? She sat me down at a small table against the wall across from the bar with a "great" view of the kitchen and wait staff. But it was cooler than the street.

As I looked at the menu, I noticed the waitress came down the stairs from above and walk to the front to someone waiting to be seated. She asked their preference and immediately took them up to the top level. Then I realized the other waitress just wanted me to "stack" her area for greater tip possibilities.

I ordered a shot of Don Julio with a big glass of ice water to regroup and relax and could be trusted to be good.

There were a couple of items that sounded good on a hot day. I decided to try the house guzpacho to start. After about 10 minutes, the gazpacho arrived -- over-salted and tasting of overpowering BBQ sauce, more fit for ribs than a refreshing summer guzpacho. So to combat the salt, I ultimately got the waitresses attention and asked if she might bring me some tostados, or possibly bread. When I got this blank look from her, I added, or maybe crackers. She returned with "salt"ine crackers.

About that time, there was a loud crash as something landed from the upper level onto the stairs below. Luckily it wasn't a person. So, while I tried to finish most of the BBQ gazpacho, my dining entertainment was to watch buckets of water being thrown on the walls and stairs as they "barn" style cleaned up what looked to be huge quantities of BBQ sauce and proceed to swept it into the KITCHEN. Needless to say, I was not ready for a next course.

I cannot remember a restaurant I left more rapidly than this one.

Thank goodness for the special offer! I was happy to consider it a small price to pay to learn that Joe Jack's wasn't worth a second try.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
huacho, Owner at Joe Jack's Fish Shack, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thanks for you visit and review CMartell. I sincerely apologize that your visit was less than perfect as we strive for stellar service with every visit.

Please know that we always recommend sitting downstairs during the summer (if seating is available) as it is definitely much cooler, even at night. It is unfortunate that there was an accident during your visit but, again, we apologize for letting you down. Hopefully you can make it back soon to give us another shot.

Cheers,
Joe
Monterey, California
“Best Hamburger in Town, but more than a hamburger joynt!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Super prepared food in a casual setting, I love the Gaspecho (mispelled) Mary! I have one a Joe Jack's every trip. Fish n Chips like your in London! Fish Filet your dinner and lunch the next day!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
auckland
“Awesome place to drink and eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Centrally located in the old town. Great upstairs terrace area. Happy hour is a must, best drinks in town. Tuna Pokey is really really good. Perfect at happy hour. Staff are really amazing and food is very good. Upstairs on a balmy late afternoon is the perfect place to be. Can get crowded later kn evening.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Great Fish & Chips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had the red snapper and my kids had the fish and chips.
Sat upstairs and really enjoyed the old R & B tunes that played on the music system. The owner (Joe) was seated right next to us.

Visited June 2013