“BEST GAY Hotel to stay in PV” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Cupula

Save Saved
You added Casa Cupula to your Saves list
Casa Cupula
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Callejon de la Igualdad, Puerto Vallarta 48399, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #6 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Los Angeles, California, United States
“BEST GAY Hotel to stay in PV”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Well my friend and I have travelled to Mexico before but never Puerto Vallarta. We looked for about a month searching through tons of different hotels and came across Casa Cupula and were actually hesitant on staying there but out of all the hotels this seemed the best. When we were first were driving up to the property we thought, "Oh shoot.... we picked the wrong hotel." But boy were we wrong, we stepped into Casa Cupula and were greeted by their staff who were very warm and inviting. We stayed in the Pent House suite which was so awesome! Great views and great stereo system. The high light of our trip really was the staff here!!!!! Don the owner has a Meet and greet on Friday so all the guests can meet each other and the staff, then afterwards the staff even go out with you to go dancing. My friend is 27 and I am 23 and we had such an amazing time there! When we return we are definitely staying here again there would be NO comparison, the rooms are CLEAN, restaurant is really good, staff = AMAZING and CUTE! Can not wait to return! If you don't choose this hotel you are definitely going to be missing out.

Room Tip: Pent House Suite.. really big for just two people, great views, nice dipping pool on roof top terrac...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have mixed feelings about this place. First the good: It's very clean. It has a great gym. It has a pretty good restaurant. For the most part, the staff is charming and nice (i.e. Logan). The owner, Dan, was present during our stay, and he was very outgoing and mindful of everyone having a good time.

Now, the not so good. It is a bit up the hill from the beach. We knew this going in, but what we didn't know was that the path to the beach was very steep and required crossing a treacherous road at a blind curve. Still, being far from the beach is not a huge deal as long as the resort has a large pool and patio. Sadly, Casa Cupula has a very small pool and a tight sunbathing area which is made even smaller by cabanas that must be rented in order to be used. This seemed just wrong to me. I feel that the hotel should try to recreate a beach feel on site, and it does not.

Room Tip: Certain rooms are at pool level and have sliding glass doors for access. One's privacy is a bit...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate your honest comments. We do work hard to assure your pleasant stay.

Our location affords us a quick walk to the beach or town (4 blocks) while permitting an exclusive hideaway among the jungle trees where you can view beautiful iguanas while eating breakfast. It's quieter and calmer here, but it's not on the beach. So that's something we can't change. Our pool area was renovated this year at great expense and loved by most guests. The cabanas do require a minimum consumption of $500 pesos/day (about US$40) to use, which we think is fair for the luxury facilities.

We have always given out earplugs to everyone all the time, as noise level tolerance varies and it's a nice touch. The rooms mentioned have semi-private terraces looking out at the jungle.

We also offer a rooftop lounging deck which maybe the guest didn't find, and if you're staying in Villa Sevilla yet another pool. We feel at a luxury facility to have a choice of pools is nicer than everyone crammed into one, and it's rare that any pool is crowded as we have an abundance of public space.

The best way to avoid the walk from the beach and crossing the highway, which now has a crosswalk, is to take a taxi. The cost is $50 pesos or about US$4, which is less than it costs to even get into a taxi in New York!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Well, Where do I begin, This was my second stay at Casa Cupula!
It was another "Banner " stay!
This beautiful boutique hotel sits in the Hills of Amapas! with breath taking views surrounded by
lush Tropical landscaping.
Close to the beach but far enough to relax in utter bliss!
They have a great staff and are willing to do just about anything for you to customize your stay.
The pool area has just been re-done and is simply "Grade A " with pool/food/drink service and completed with gorgeous cabannas.
Do Not miss their "Meet and Greet "Friday night cocktail parties!...These are a blast and opened to everyone in PV, great way to meet people in hotel and others.

In addition , Do Try "Taste Restaurant" famous for their "Taste" menu, where you can choose
different cuisines all for $369 pesos.... I think this is their signature to the restaurant, this is a must!
Also do not miss their fabulous Brunch on Sundays with Mimosas and Bloody Marys and of course you must have their famous "CHILE" Margarita!....yummmmmmm! ( if you like spicy!)

I cannot thank the entire staff ONCE AGAIN! for a Fabulous Memorable Stay!
I Love and miss them all!.......already planning my stay for 2013 there!

Ron.
Brooklyn,New York.

The restaurant "Taste" is fabulous which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner!
They are famous for their "Taste" menu...this is a must!...select 3 different cuisines all for $369 pesos.

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

On my first tirp to Puerto Vallarta I opted to stay in a high end gay boutique hotel, Casa Cupula. It was every bit as beautiful as the photos on their website. My townhouse room, the Cupula Suite, was fantasitc with a huge sunny balcony and a view of the bay. The on site restaurant is truly gourmet. The on site gym was first class. The staff was very personable and helpful.I did not want for anything. Walking distance to the very nice gay beach. I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Check out the website for good photos to select your room They are all nice.
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We excel at helping first time visitors and since we know the lay of the land, we can always help each guest get the most out of his or her vacation. Each guest's interests are different, so our concierge takes the time to advise each guest individually on activities, tours, shopping, nightlife and dining, and so much more. We think this kind of personalized attention really pays off in a world of check in computer kiosks. We know you never have enough time for vacation, so it's important you really enjoy the days you have.
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My partner and I spent a few days at Casa Cupula and we could not have been happier with our experience.

Service - The staff (Edwin, Jose, Juan, Chino, Sebas, etc) were all great and very attentive to our needs. They treated us and all the other guests like VIPs.

Meals - Taste is a great restaurant. By far, it was the best restaurant we ate at during our 4 days in PV. I couldn't find an issue with any meal we had at Taste.

Room - Our room was private, spacious and clean. The only reason why I did not rate this hotel 5 stars is that the decor in our particular room, 202, was a little outdated and the carpet was a little tired and worn.

Location - I read many of the reviews written on Casa Cupula and was expecting the walk from the hotel to the beach and the Zona Romantica to be something awful. I was pleasantly surprised when it was just a 5 minute walk. Yes we had to walk up a hill to return to the hotel but after sitting around all afternoon on the beach drinking margaritas the walk up was needed exercise.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to PV.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! Edwin is new this season and you really made his day with the compliment, maybe his week! He and all the other guys you mentioned work really hard and your kind words are very much appreciated!

We renovate and update our rooms regularly based on wear and tear and, primarily, guest ratings. We're sorry you didn't like the decor as much in your room but every one of our rooms are individually designed, so just book another room your next stay for an entirely different experience. Meanwhile we'll get at that rug!

Thanks again.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

When I went to PVR, it was for a solo weekend getaway. I had so much fun that I extended my trip by a day. My trip started with me arriving at Casa Cupula and Edwin meeting me at the door. He was extremely nice, professional, and very helpful with getting me settled. He personally gave me a tour of the grounds and made sure I was aware of upcoming events and things to do both at the hotel and the city. I stayed in room 243. Apparently, it is one of the smaller rooms. That however, did not take away from its charm at all. It was clean, well furnished, spacious, had a shared large private balcony with beautiful views. And let's not forget the bed was very comfortable.

The restaurant at Casa Cupula, Taste, was great. The food was extremely fresh and well put together. The staff was very attentive.

Attentive seemed to be a theme of the establishment as there was not a single concern or question that I had that went unaddressed immediately. I singled out Edwin in the beginning as he was the one gentleman, I saw the most but the entire staff was great. Where else can you stay where the owner of the establishment offers to take you out to enjoy the scene at night.

Location wise, Casa Cupula has its advantages and disadvantages. It is nestled in a mountain which affords it an oasis feel with spectacular views and a very relaxing calm. For this, the trade-off is the distance (beach and club scene being a 10 and 7 minute walk respectively. In my opinion, it is worth it). The walk down is a breeze. The walk back up is a climb.

To sum everything up, this a a great establishment. I have already committed myself to returning. The next time I am going to attempt to convince my friends to join. I rated Casa Cupula 4/5 stars. The only reason, I couldn't commit 5 is because it is a bit expensive by Vallarta standards. That being said, given the quality of the staff, you get what you pay for and I am willing to pay it again.

Thanks Casa Cupula for making my stay wonderful!

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Simply put, this place is great. I traveled to Puerto Vallarta as a single, mid-thirties gay man with a group of friends, but didn’t want to stay up north in the resort area with them. I wanted the chance to meet and mingle with other great people if I wanted, or nap the morning away in peace and solitude, all within a short walk to the beach, restaurant, bars and shops. So, I booked a room here based upon advice from a trusted, hip friend in NYC. Life is too short to be limited to “manufactured” mega-resort experiences when you can be in the middle of creating your own, unique experience in the historic/romantic zone of Puerto Vallarta.

I expect cleanliness, comfy beds, great service, staff, good food, and a good vibe - and even secretly wish for showers that you don’t want to get out of – when I book a more “affluent” hotel such as this one. And, Casa Cupula delivered upon every point.

I’ve traveled the world for work and fun, and have been to the PV area many times and stayed a few different places. Absent of renting your own villa with a large group (chef and all), this is the next best thing for singles, couples or small groups. The “grounds” and rooms are all so well maintained and provide a unique experience upon every visit (I’ve been twice to Casa Cupula). You have the choice to be social and mingle in the common restaurant or pool areas, or to retreat for some solitude or spa services in your room (or one of the many semi-private rooftop pools). The restaurant is great and convenient and offers a lot of options with some solid discounts for guests of the hotel, especially for your lazy breakfasts and brunches. It’s got one of the best “hotel” gyms I’ve ever seen, so you don’t have to go far to keep in the routine to make up for all the margaritas.

And, the pool in the common area can be what you make of it. Frankly, most days you should just head to the beach (Green Chairs!). If I had any issues, I would simply ask the other guests directly if they might reconsider any behaviors that wouldn’t make it a good experience for all. Will note, that the pool is clothing optional during specific times, so be aware. I’m more private than this, but am always aware when I book at a place where this is an option – let’s be honest – most of the folks doing it aren’t ones you really want to see anyway. If you are a nudist, have some respect and self-awareness of this to not offend others.

Casa Cupula offers access to great tours and services without hounding you, and welcome you as part of a community if you want… for however long your stay. Your choice is open on participation in that community and creating the private or social experience you want. I met some folks here who will be lifelong friends and more for sure. And, I was there during the "down/quiet" season.

So, if you are chill, and open-minded (gay, straight, all good) and expect a high-level of quality and service – without being someone that runs around with a checklist and a critical eye on your vacation, then this place is a pretty sure bet. Think of it like a unique, chill, local and less corporate version of the W Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Casa Cupula? Share your experiences!