“Mixed Feelings” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Cupula

You added Casa Cupula to your Saves list
Casa Cupula
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Callejon de la Igualdad, Puerto Vallarta 48399, Mexico   |
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #7 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Boston, Massachusetts
“Mixed Feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have mixed feelings about this place. First the good: It's very clean. It has a great gym. It has a pretty good restaurant. For the most part, the staff is charming and nice (i.e. Logan). The owner, Dan, was present during our stay, and he was very outgoing and mindful of everyone having a good time.

Now, the not so good. It is a bit up the hill from the beach. We knew this going in, but what we didn't know was that the path to the beach was very steep and required crossing a treacherous road at a blind curve. Still, being far from the beach is not a huge deal as long as the resort has a large pool and patio. Sadly, Casa Cupula has a very small pool and a tight sunbathing area which is made even smaller by cabanas that must be rented in order to be used. This seemed just wrong to me. I feel that the hotel should try to recreate a beach feel on site, and it does not.

Room Tip: Certain rooms are at pool level and have sliding glass doors for access. One's privacy is a bit...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate your honest comments. We do work hard to assure your pleasant stay.

Our location affords us a quick walk to the beach or town (4 blocks) while permitting an exclusive hideaway among the jungle trees where you can view beautiful iguanas while eating breakfast. It's quieter and calmer here, but it's not on the beach. So that's something we can't change. Our pool area was renovated this year at great expense and loved by most guests. The cabanas do require a minimum consumption of $500 pesos/day (about US$40) to use, which we think is fair for the luxury facilities.

We have always given out earplugs to everyone all the time, as noise level tolerance varies and it's a nice touch. The rooms mentioned have semi-private terraces looking out at the jungle.

We also offer a rooftop lounging deck which maybe the guest didn't find, and if you're staying in Villa Sevilla yet another pool. We feel at a luxury facility to have a choice of pools is nicer than everyone crammed into one, and it's rare that any pool is crowded as we have an abundance of public space.

The best way to avoid the walk from the beach and crossing the highway, which now has a crosswalk, is to take a taxi. The cost is $50 pesos or about US$4, which is less than it costs to even get into a taxi in New York!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Well, Where do I begin, This was my second stay at Casa Cupula!
It was another "Banner " stay!
This beautiful boutique hotel sits in the Hills of Amapas! with breath taking views surrounded by
lush Tropical landscaping.
Close to the beach but far enough to relax in utter bliss!
They have a great staff and are willing to do just about anything for you to customize your stay.
The pool area has just been re-done and is simply "Grade A " with pool/food/drink service and completed with gorgeous cabannas.
Do Not miss their "Meet and Greet "Friday night cocktail parties!...These are a blast and opened to everyone in PV, great way to meet people in hotel and others.

In addition , Do Try "Taste Restaurant" famous for their "Taste" menu, where you can choose
different cuisines all for $369 pesos.... I think this is their signature to the restaurant, this is a must!
Also do not miss their fabulous Brunch on Sundays with Mimosas and Bloody Marys and of course you must have their famous "CHILE" Margarita!....yummmmmmm! ( if you like spicy!)

I cannot thank the entire staff ONCE AGAIN! for a Fabulous Memorable Stay!
I Love and miss them all!.......already planning my stay for 2013 there!

Ron.
Brooklyn,New York.

The restaurant "Taste" is fabulous which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner!
They are famous for their "Taste" menu...this is a must!...select 3 different cuisines all for $369 pesos.

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

On my first tirp to Puerto Vallarta I opted to stay in a high end gay boutique hotel, Casa Cupula. It was every bit as beautiful as the photos on their website. My townhouse room, the Cupula Suite, was fantasitc with a huge sunny balcony and a view of the bay. The on site restaurant is truly gourmet. The on site gym was first class. The staff was very personable and helpful.I did not want for anything. Walking distance to the very nice gay beach. I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Check out the website for good photos to select your room They are all nice.
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We excel at helping first time visitors and since we know the lay of the land, we can always help each guest get the most out of his or her vacation. Each guest's interests are different, so our concierge takes the time to advise each guest individually on activities, tours, shopping, nightlife and dining, and so much more. We think this kind of personalized attention really pays off in a world of check in computer kiosks. We know you never have enough time for vacation, so it's important you really enjoy the days you have.
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My partner and I spent a few days at Casa Cupula and we could not have been happier with our experience.

Service - The staff (Edwin, Jose, Juan, Chino, Sebas, etc) were all great and very attentive to our needs. They treated us and all the other guests like VIPs.

Meals - Taste is a great restaurant. By far, it was the best restaurant we ate at during our 4 days in PV. I couldn't find an issue with any meal we had at Taste.

Room - Our room was private, spacious and clean. The only reason why I did not rate this hotel 5 stars is that the decor in our particular room, 202, was a little outdated and the carpet was a little tired and worn.

Location - I read many of the reviews written on Casa Cupula and was expecting the walk from the hotel to the beach and the Zona Romantica to be something awful. I was pleasantly surprised when it was just a 5 minute walk. Yes we had to walk up a hill to return to the hotel but after sitting around all afternoon on the beach drinking margaritas the walk up was needed exercise.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to PV.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! Edwin is new this season and you really made his day with the compliment, maybe his week! He and all the other guys you mentioned work really hard and your kind words are very much appreciated!

We renovate and update our rooms regularly based on wear and tear and, primarily, guest ratings. We're sorry you didn't like the decor as much in your room but every one of our rooms are individually designed, so just book another room your next stay for an entirely different experience. Meanwhile we'll get at that rug!

Thanks again.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

When I went to PVR, it was for a solo weekend getaway. I had so much fun that I extended my trip by a day. My trip started with me arriving at Casa Cupula and Edwin meeting me at the door. He was extremely nice, professional, and very helpful with getting me settled. He personally gave me a tour of the grounds and made sure I was aware of upcoming events and things to do both at the hotel and the city. I stayed in room 243. Apparently, it is one of the smaller rooms. That however, did not take away from its charm at all. It was clean, well furnished, spacious, had a shared large private balcony with beautiful views. And let's not forget the bed was very comfortable.

The restaurant at Casa Cupula, Taste, was great. The food was extremely fresh and well put together. The staff was very attentive.

Attentive seemed to be a theme of the establishment as there was not a single concern or question that I had that went unaddressed immediately. I singled out Edwin in the beginning as he was the one gentleman, I saw the most but the entire staff was great. Where else can you stay where the owner of the establishment offers to take you out to enjoy the scene at night.

Location wise, Casa Cupula has its advantages and disadvantages. It is nestled in a mountain which affords it an oasis feel with spectacular views and a very relaxing calm. For this, the trade-off is the distance (beach and club scene being a 10 and 7 minute walk respectively. In my opinion, it is worth it). The walk down is a breeze. The walk back up is a climb.

To sum everything up, this a a great establishment. I have already committed myself to returning. The next time I am going to attempt to convince my friends to join. I rated Casa Cupula 4/5 stars. The only reason, I couldn't commit 5 is because it is a bit expensive by Vallarta standards. That being said, given the quality of the staff, you get what you pay for and I am willing to pay it again.

Thanks Casa Cupula for making my stay wonderful!

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Simply put, this place is great. I traveled to Puerto Vallarta as a single, mid-thirties gay man with a group of friends, but didn’t want to stay up north in the resort area with them. I wanted the chance to meet and mingle with other great people if I wanted, or nap the morning away in peace and solitude, all within a short walk to the beach, restaurant, bars and shops. So, I booked a room here based upon advice from a trusted, hip friend in NYC. Life is too short to be limited to “manufactured” mega-resort experiences when you can be in the middle of creating your own, unique experience in the historic/romantic zone of Puerto Vallarta.

I expect cleanliness, comfy beds, great service, staff, good food, and a good vibe - and even secretly wish for showers that you don’t want to get out of – when I book a more “affluent” hotel such as this one. And, Casa Cupula delivered upon every point.

I’ve traveled the world for work and fun, and have been to the PV area many times and stayed a few different places. Absent of renting your own villa with a large group (chef and all), this is the next best thing for singles, couples or small groups. The “grounds” and rooms are all so well maintained and provide a unique experience upon every visit (I’ve been twice to Casa Cupula). You have the choice to be social and mingle in the common restaurant or pool areas, or to retreat for some solitude or spa services in your room (or one of the many semi-private rooftop pools). The restaurant is great and convenient and offers a lot of options with some solid discounts for guests of the hotel, especially for your lazy breakfasts and brunches. It’s got one of the best “hotel” gyms I’ve ever seen, so you don’t have to go far to keep in the routine to make up for all the margaritas.

And, the pool in the common area can be what you make of it. Frankly, most days you should just head to the beach (Green Chairs!). If I had any issues, I would simply ask the other guests directly if they might reconsider any behaviors that wouldn’t make it a good experience for all. Will note, that the pool is clothing optional during specific times, so be aware. I’m more private than this, but am always aware when I book at a place where this is an option – let’s be honest – most of the folks doing it aren’t ones you really want to see anyway. If you are a nudist, have some respect and self-awareness of this to not offend others.

Casa Cupula offers access to great tours and services without hounding you, and welcome you as part of a community if you want… for however long your stay. Your choice is open on participation in that community and creating the private or social experience you want. I met some folks here who will be lifelong friends and more for sure. And, I was there during the "down/quiet" season.

So, if you are chill, and open-minded (gay, straight, all good) and expect a high-level of quality and service – without being someone that runs around with a checklist and a critical eye on your vacation, then this place is a pretty sure bet. Think of it like a unique, chill, local and less corporate version of the W Hotel.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My partner and I have been coming to Casa Cupula for 5 years, with this most recent trip being our 7th visit. However, over the years, we have observed and experienced changes that we feel have had both a positive and negative impact on our opinion of Casa Cupula.

To begin, the facility is a wonderful place to stay and relax. The food and service remains outstanding. The upgrades to the pool and dining area add a needed upgrade to an already wonderful experience. The rooms are nicely decorated and well maintained. Likewise, management continues to shine, accommodate, and ensures any stay, including ours excels in every way possible. This continues to be Casa Cupula’s mainstay.

For this reason, we were pleased to invite two friends to a relaxing week at Casa Cupula to experience the wonders we’ve talked about for years. They were happy with their vacation in Puerto Vallarta, and even Casa Cupula. However, one guest had travelled with us twice before and also noticed the changes within Casa Cupula.

With that, a few other incidents have left us wondering if we will return for an 8th visit. Our issues are listed accordingly:

• With the addition of Taste to the mix, emphasis is seemingly placed on the restaurant, with guests and accommodations quickly becoming an afterthought. Complimentary Sunday Brunch and Continental breakfast are no longer offered. Muffins and rolls are offered for breakfast by the wait staff – at an additional cost, but this not mentioned until after placed on your plate. This was rather embarrassing to our guests, as well as in rather poor taste!

• Coffee in the room, that was once no cost to guests, now costs $3.50. Really?

• Concierge program is nice for first time guests, but we found it rather intrusive and pushy for the making of reservations. Know your audience!

• Pool Cabanas are a nice touch, but should be a standard amenity, instead of an extra charge. Pool space is now limited for guests; however, if you arrive when all pool lounges are taken, we noticed selective guests were offered a cabana at no cost. Where’s the equity in this?

• The new Pool Bar has been added with mixed results. During our stay, it was nothing more than a gathering place for staff to sit and talk amongst themselves. A number of times, we and our guests were ignored by staff who spent their time chatting, laughing, and turning up the music to suit their tastes (even when asked to turn it down, we were met with attitude). We had to ASK the staff for service. In one instance, we overheard staff talking to a guest of Casa Cupula about another guest. Unacceptable!

• While discretion is always welcome in a clothing optional resort, we observed two guests engaging in sexual activity in the middle of pool, during the middle of the day, while the pool staff watched, giggled, and did nothing to ask the show to end. To make matters worse, new guests were being toured who witnessed the spectacle in full view of everyone. After a few minutes of watching staff enjoy the activity in the pool, we left the pool area in disgust. We expressed our concerns to the property management, who could only apologize for the action. Sadly, this occurred on our last day in Puerto Vallarta and is the most vivid memory of our latest stay at Casa Cupula. Disappointing!

So, here we are. We continue to love the property, amenities, and accommodations that Casa Cupula continues to offer. Would we recommend Casa Cupula to others? We still think so. Will we return for an 8th visit? Based on our latest experience at Casa Cupula we have to give it a lot more thought…a lot more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
We always appreciate constructive criticism and are glad that this guest's friends were happy with their vacation. However some vital context was left out of the review.

1) The guest visited during super saver season when the net rate was $113/night (in regular season it's $185). During this period amenities are reduced for the much lower price. The all-you-can-eat Sunday brunch costs $145 pesos or about US$11. Freshly baked pastries are a new feature charged at $25 pesos or under $2, far less than Starbucks. The guest failed to note that even at this price a $45 peso discount coupon (daily per guest) is given toward breakfast, making the net cost of an egg dish about US$4.20, about on a par with McDonald's.

2) During these exceptionally low rates, coffee in room is extra and is charged at 35 pesos which at the current rate of 12.8 pesos/USD is about $2.60 for a pot of coffee, less than some hotels charge for a single cup.

3) The guest found that asking him if he would like to do any tours by the concierge during his trip was pushy, but separately compained about being ignored by staff.

4) Pool cabanas are a new optional luxury feature, and their use requires a $500 peso minimum consumption (about $39USD; a lunch and a few cocktails is sufficient) during the course of a day, while offering added amenities including luxury towels, free bottled water and cold facecloths in a semi-private space. Other guests offered the use of the cabanas met this minimum. In the past pool lounges were rarely full, and the fact that they are now overflowing speaks to the fact that most guests are delighted with the new ambience.

5) Casa Cupula, like most hotels, prohibits consumption of drinks purchased at a convenience store at the hotel pool where staff are paid to provide service to customers. The new waiter failed to enforce this rule. When a guest brings their own drinks and only asks for free ice, servers who rely on tips tend not to provide much service. Soft drinks are charged at only $25 pesos or less than US$2 each, less than in many vending machines.

6) We cannot comment on the perceived activities of other guests except to say this violates hotel policy and is strictly enforced.

Overall, as my mom used to say "you can't get something for nothing." We feel the services and facilities provided at Casa Cupula, which the guest noted provided an upgrade to the already wonderful experience do not come free in a luxury hotel.

Been to Casa Cupula? Share your experiences!