My partner and I have been coming to Casa Cupula for 5 years, with this most recent trip being our 7th visit. However, over the years, we have observed and experienced changes that we feel have had both a positive and negative impact on our opinion of Casa Cupula.
To begin, the facility is a wonderful place to stay and relax. The food and service remains outstanding. The upgrades to the pool and dining area add a needed upgrade to an already wonderful experience. The rooms are nicely decorated and well maintained. Likewise, management continues to shine, accommodate, and ensures any stay, including ours excels in every way possible. This continues to be Casa Cupula’s mainstay.
For this reason, we were pleased to invite two friends to a relaxing week at Casa Cupula to experience the wonders we’ve talked about for years. They were happy with their vacation in Puerto Vallarta, and even Casa Cupula. However, one guest had travelled with us twice before and also noticed the changes within Casa Cupula.
With that, a few other incidents have left us wondering if we will return for an 8th visit. Our issues are listed accordingly:
• With the addition of Taste to the mix, emphasis is seemingly placed on the restaurant, with guests and accommodations quickly becoming an afterthought. Complimentary Sunday Brunch and Continental breakfast are no longer offered. Muffins and rolls are offered for breakfast by the wait staff – at an additional cost, but this not mentioned until after placed on your plate. This was rather embarrassing to our guests, as well as in rather poor taste!
• Coffee in the room, that was once no cost to guests, now costs $3.50. Really?
• Concierge program is nice for first time guests, but we found it rather intrusive and pushy for the making of reservations. Know your audience!
• Pool Cabanas are a nice touch, but should be a standard amenity, instead of an extra charge. Pool space is now limited for guests; however, if you arrive when all pool lounges are taken, we noticed selective guests were offered a cabana at no cost. Where’s the equity in this?
• The new Pool Bar has been added with mixed results. During our stay, it was nothing more than a gathering place for staff to sit and talk amongst themselves. A number of times, we and our guests were ignored by staff who spent their time chatting, laughing, and turning up the music to suit their tastes (even when asked to turn it down, we were met with attitude). We had to ASK the staff for service. In one instance, we overheard staff talking to a guest of Casa Cupula about another guest. Unacceptable!
• While discretion is always welcome in a clothing optional resort, we observed two guests engaging in sexual activity in the middle of pool, during the middle of the day, while the pool staff watched, giggled, and did nothing to ask the show to end. To make matters worse, new guests were being toured who witnessed the spectacle in full view of everyone. After a few minutes of watching staff enjoy the activity in the pool, we left the pool area in disgust. We expressed our concerns to the property management, who could only apologize for the action. Sadly, this occurred on our last day in Puerto Vallarta and is the most vivid memory of our latest stay at Casa Cupula. Disappointing!
So, here we are. We continue to love the property, amenities, and accommodations that Casa Cupula continues to offer. Would we recommend Casa Cupula to others? We still think so. Will we return for an 8th visit? Based on our latest experience at Casa Cupula we have to give it a lot more thought…a lot more.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Cupula Hotel
- Casa Cupula Puerto Vallarta
- Casa Cupula Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Cupula is one of the most luxurious boutique hotel resorts in the world, welcoming gay men, lesbians, and friends of our community. We offer the services of a five-star mainstream resort in four boutique properties: Casa Cupula, luxurious Villa Sevilla (great for groups), Private Residences and Owner's Villa. Gourmet food compliments four pools, a gym and sophisticated modern design. Located in Amapas, walking distance to gay beach clubs, nightlife, restaurants and cafes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Casa Cupula reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.