“Great waterfront resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Sur Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Costa Sur Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Costa Sur Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carr. Puerto Vallarta a Barra de Navidad Km. 4.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48390, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
50% off room rate
Ranked #36 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Great waterfront resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Superb views, great service and good food. Rooms are right at the waters edge with a wonderful setting. Small resort and friendly, the rooms are comfortable overlooking the bay. The staff is very friendly and attentive. They remember your name and room number, make anything you would like to eat or drink. The pool and outdoor bar are nice and they have live music at times. I would go there instead of a big resort where you get lost in the crowds. Very charming and comfortable. So glad i stayed there. It is on the South edge of town away from the hustle of the big resort. I visit to the Botanical garden should be on your list of things to do.

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the water of the bay, I could see whales right off shore from my room or outdo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. i am glad you got to see whales from the balcony in your room!
It is a true miracle of nature to be able to see such beauty.
Hope you come back to visit us soon.
Greetings from Costa Sur Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
WA & HI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This resort was outside of Puerto Vallarta on the highway headed to Mismaloya. It had everything you needed. The tower we stayed in was oceanfront and had maid service every day. The restaurant had good food and you could dine undercover but open air or right out near the beach. Had the barefoot bar and two (2) pools with an area for sunning and an area for reading. Chairs & umbrellas down on the beach. Also had an onsite store and was stocked very well. Looked like a bus stop was right across the street from the entrance of this resort. We enjoyed relaxing here and watching the boats go by!!! Plenty of tables and chairs down in the pool area. Our room had a large screen TV but had no reception. Resort was kept clean. Each day they have a special drink of the day and one happy hour. I splurged on the Kelly drink and it was worth it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan,

It makes me so happy to read about the wonderful experiences our guests have. I appreciate you sharing yours with the rest of the travel community.
Hope you come back to Costa Sur very soon!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My friend, her mom and I went for a week and all had an amazing time. The rooms were simple, but we had plenty of room and the shower pressure was great. At a place like this, you don't spend much time in the room anyway. The view was amazing!! We felt like we were the youngest people there but we didn't mind. Everyone was soo nice and welcoming, the guests and employees. I don't know what people are talking about saying the food was gross because we loved it. Pricey, but good. And they always made the plates look so beautiful, we never wanted to eat it! The shrimp tacos and chicken chimichurry was amazing. We never tried the buffet, so I don't know if it was good. I never have liked buffets. People who say they got food poisoning probably drank the water there, stick to bottled water. Every time we left, there was always a cab right outside. The people at the front desk always had great restaurant recommendations. I recommend casa naranjo!! The beach was the only downside...it was beautiful but small. We spent most of the time at the pool/bar. All in all, we loved it and never wanted to leave.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Michelle,

Thank you for posting your review about Costa Sur Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta.
We really appreciate your feedback and I am sure it will be most helpful to our future guests.
Come back to visit us soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed there for New Years... Yes wedding people we watched your wedding from our balcony! The rooms are NOT like the pictures as ours was outdated and needed many repairs. The stove (2 burner hot plate) took 50 minutes to boil water for pasta. Other than that we were ok with the place. I always wonder how places can still show pictures of what the building was like NEW when it is no longer new... They do it. I know the people we talked too all loved it and will come back... Some have for 16 years... Maybe that is where the pictures came from.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Gary,

Thank you for your review....
We did remodeled rooms but not the kitchenettes...sorry

I promise we will work on this as the next step.

For now our focus was on giving guests the very best good night sleep on a very comfortable and big mattress...this is why all beds and linens were changed along with flat screen TV's and i-pod docking stations, new drapes, new ceiling fans and new sofa beds. This is all new as of September 2011 so a little over a year ago...

There are somethings that i promise you will always remain the same no matter what: our fantastic ocean view, our unique ocean lagoon where you can snorkel and warmth and friendly staff...that will never get old..

Hope to see you back in Costa Sur soon...
Mexico Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and I hired this hotel's services for our wedding and that was the best choice ever made as all went even better than planned. If you want to feel like home this is the right place. Once you get in, there will be no need to get out ('til chech out comes) as all you might need can be found within the hotel.
We had the best time during our stay (a whole week!). Defenetly this is a must.

Room Tip: All rooms have balcony with sea view, so any room is the best option.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Jonathan for your review!
It was our pleasure to host yours and Luz's wedding.
Look forward to welcoming all of you back into Costa sur soon!
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Costa Sur was a location we reserved simply due to its availability with timeshare trade. The accomodations are very simple. The room was clean and bathrooms decent. The kitchen is functional if dated. We had a large tv in our room, but with spanish channels there wasn't much appeal. The main complaint of our room was lighting - all energy efficient bulbs in a very cold blue color did not add appeal, and many of the fixtures needed new shades, i.e. were bare bulbs. Felt a bit cold. The front desk was helpful and friendly. The prices are very high at the resort for food, so if you are able, stock up at a grocery store in town before getting to the resort. Not much of a beach. The pool area is simple but relaxing. The main pool is not heated. Not a great resort for families, but okay for the budget traveler. The location is right on the ocean and a bus will take you right to Puerto Vallarta for 7 pesos.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.
I have taken your bulb suggestion and will implement! I also feel a yellow light will bring a lot more warmth into the units.

Regards
Toluca, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I took a time to write this review because I wanted to be objective and quiet making my final impression. Excuse me for my English, it might be not perfect.
For beginning general impression about this hotel seemed good but only until the first lunch/dinner.
So about the food. Unfortunately Costa Sur doesn´t really care about the quality of the food. Even I´m not talking about the taste, cause everyone has own preferences about that. But as for me – it was the worst food I´ve ever tried and trust me – I´ve tried a lot. But when they used to organize Italian or Mexican buffet, it´s so awhull... I live in Mexico 2 years and I know how the real mexican food tastes like. And Italian. And French (onion soup in Costa Sur it´s just a lot of boiled onion with vinegar). Even that day I asked a waiter if their chef was a mexican? He said yes, all of them, indeed... If I had cooked such food for my husband, he would divorce me already.
What made me think that food quality is bad? Was not my imagination, no. Let me tell you what I saw by own eyes:
They serve a breakfast at morning and then without washing the dishes on the same plates they serve lunch and dinner. I discovered that eating a green salad for the lunch and I found watermelon seeds into it.
I saw a lot of insects flying around some "fresh" vegetables and salats.
The buffet is serving on the open area, the average temperature of those days was about +28. And normal duration of the breakfast/lunch/dinner about 4-5 hours. Is simply dangerouse to keep the products outside with these conditions.
During Mexican night there was a guy (kitchen assistant, not a chef) who was serving tacos with choriso. When he thought that nobody was looking at him, he opened a pot with chorizo and ate it. By hands.
The pork a la mexicana was not prepared, half ready and with blood.
The food in general seems to be recyclated.
On the third day of our stay there I´ve got food poisoning after trying mexican buffet. I didn´t eat outside, I was washing my hands before to go to the toilet, and I didn´t drink alcohol.
On Sunday night I felt bad, I´ve vomited more than 12 times for few ours together with terrible diarrea. When at 6am my husband went to report on the reception about my situation, a porter (Andres) said that it was my own fault because nobody else was complaining. A-a! You´re lying! The same week there was another case with an american couple, they also got food poisoning and you can check another review on this page from 12th of Nov.
So Monday morning we went to the nearest hospital and I made blood test. I attached the results so everyone can check that I´m not lying. The doctor said that this kind of poisoning is caused because of the bad quality food or spoiled products. So my only mistake was to choose Costa Sur for our vacation. We´ve expected to spend great time and in the end the most of vacation I spent in the bed and I couldn´t eat during 4 days. Is this what we paid for?
So the only one thing I liked was the waiters staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Helena,

I can only begin by saying we feel terribly sorry for what you went through.
We would never consider your complaint as a lie so please let me apologize on behalf of the hotel staff if the receptionist even suggested that.

I have forwarded your review to F&B for an immediate revision of procedures on buffets and staff.

What others consider a complaint I consider an area of opportunity and there is always room for improvement.

I do want to let the rest of our readers know, breakfast buffet is out from 8 - 11 am but hot dishes remain hot and cold dishes are iced. We do have ongoing controls in F&B but I will make sure we investigate this issue to the fullest.

Thank you and please contact me directly if I can be of further assistance...

gfadul@playadelsolpv.com

Been to Costa Sur Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!