“Room with a View” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Sur Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Costa Sur Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Costa Sur Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carr. Puerto Vallarta a Barra de Navidad Km. 4.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48390, Mexico   |
Announcement
Fall specials are on!
Ranked #37 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Stockton, CA
“Room with a View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We arrived at Costa Sur via local bus shortly after noon and was allowed to check in as our room was ready. Normal time is 3pm. After spending a week in Nuevo Vallarta the 15 miles or so was an easy move after changing local bus lines three times.We traveled with carry-on luggage as the buses are very quick on/off. Taxis are expensive if you go outside your zone and they have a union. At first it was a little reality check as we had left a one bedroom high end resort and Costa Sur is an older property where we had a studio for a week. However, the location was stunning. All units face the water on the southeast side of Banderas Bay, a very small balcony (maybe 3 X 10 or 12 feet) but with room for a couple chairs. With a rocky beach and a breakwater that forms a private lagoon I was able to watch many birds and pelicans on the rocks forming the breakwater and see men fishing from the bank and rocks or small fishing boats bring in their nets which they had put out the night before. There were always about 15 or more pelicans circling the boat. And when the water was clear I could see fish in the lagoon. The studios are referred to as the north tower and the south tower next door is newer with 1,2,3, bedrooms also a timeshare property. We had reserved with Interval International as an exchange. We were ion the third floor so very close to the water and roar of the waves.
Costa Sur had two weddings while we were there. There are two pools, two bars, a restaurant, mini market, spa, and while small with modern equipment, a gym with a wonderful view of Los Arcos. Internet is free as is daily housekeeping. The small kitchen area had a good size refigerator, microwave, 2 burner gas plate with dishes and pots and pans but we didn't do any cooking. We requested a blender and they brought one, though somewhat ancient it worked. Ample closets (2) , air conditioning, large shower and lots of counter space in the bath all with beautiful Mosaico tile floors. I was told renovations took place a couple years ago.
It was easy going into town on the bus - 7 pesos (about 58 cents). The bus stop takes you to an area south of the Rio Cuale. (about a 10 minute ride) About a 4 or 5 block walk, on the island in the middle of the river is the Flea Market and the same distance towards the Bay is Las Muertos Beach. A great walkway goes over the river to the Malecon and goes north for about 12 blocks. Just to the right is the main plaza and the cathedral of Guadalupe. You are close to everything. Of course shopping is everywhere. Art galleries, silver, clothing, pottery. You can't get away from it. Souvenirs are "in your face" but who wouldn't want a reminder of Puerto Vallarta?
A lot of retirees come here, both Americans and Canadians, many having bought in the early 1980s. But there are also families with children. People remember one another and make friends and love the dancing in the evening to a live trio. Day trips depend on your interests. In the beach community of Mismaloya 4.3 miles away, the Night of the Iguana ruin filmed in 1963 is now closed having fallen into desrepair. There are many beaches that can only be reached by water taxi, the area near the rocks of Los Arcos offers excellent snorkeling, nearby tequila distilleries, botanical gardens, shopping, or you can do nothing and lay by the pool. We were there during the celebration of the birthday of Guadalupe, the first 12 days of Dec. That is a story in itself.
And the Taxi drivers were dismade that we left by bus to go to the airport. Just two changes this time. For a total of 27 pesos for the two of us. One really can do Puerto Vallarta on the cheap. And Costa Sur was an excellent choice. Everyone was helpful and friendly. Yes, it really was a room with a view!! And a great bed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Evenyl,

Thank you so much for your kind review..It was honest and very helpful to our future guests...
I usually comment about reviews but yours is so detailed I find myself with nothing else to add.

Come back and visit us soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
San Rafael
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We traveled to PV and Costa Sur for our 4th or so trip to PV. I love this location just south of town, in the older resort "Romantic" neighborhood, and close in to old town and the beautiful River walk and Malecon. We wanted to stay in tis place South of town this time to get a better taste of the "Old Vallarta" of Hollywood legend, down near where Liz Taylor and Ricard Burton chose to purchase a home. This stretch of land is beautiful, scenic and steeped in history. Also is near a very cool little Mexican town called Boca de Tomatlan which is the gateway to a few small coastal towns to the South that are accessible only by boat... Las Animas, QueMixto, and Yelapa. It is where the jungle meets the sea and to us there is still something wild and untamed about it... yet soooo accessible and inviting! We ventured off the road and snorkeled Los Arcos on our own, from shore, easily and without a noisy "tour boat" atmosphere... an easy five to ten minute swim from the shore. We were greeted by and treated to our own personal welcome from a school of spotted rays, swimming in lazy circles on the ocean floor below us. Took a hike down the coast on a trail known by few and not yet exploited by tour companies... The "Costa Sur" was very nice, clean, extremely courteous and accomodating. There was a traditional Mexican wedding while we were there, with an excellent mariachi band, and colorful festivities, but not too overwhelming for all of us other guests... It was a delicious, colorful, and romantic place to stay for us, and the perfect location for the adventures we ad in mind and love to experience... Thank you Costa Sur, for your hospitality, service, and a wonderful "old world service" experience! :-)

Room Tip: Ask for South tower upper floors... spectacular views and a more "botique" feeling... :-)a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear San Rafael,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review...it was like reading a book! I am now ready to put on my snorkeling gear a snorkel right off the beach to Los Arcos!
I am sure all this information will be very useful to all our future guests.

Have a great day and hope to see you back in Costa Sur very soon!
Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The living social deal included 20% off food with chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne. My boyfriend proposed and having the strawberries and champagne was a wonderful way to help celebrate! The staff was very friendly, although the one time we used the concierge for a restaurant suggestion it ended in disappointment. We were suggested "El Set" down the road. We were the only ones there, their caesar salad was three leaves of lettuce with dressing and we spent $80 on drinks and two appetizers. Would not recommend anyone go there.

We had an 11th floor room on the ocean side which had a wonderful view and being able to hear the ocean waves was great. It was so quiet and peaceful and yes the beds were very large and comfortable. It was great having the private beach. It wasn't crowded during our stay so we were able to really enjoy ourselves. The average age of the guests was retired though just for reference.

I also wouldnt bother with the spa, I paid $7 to have my nail polish changed and was shooed out before it was dry and it ended up being the worst job I've had.

The nachos were good, but I wouldn't bother with the brunch. We werent told we had another option (menu) for breakfast and the buffet was overpriced. All I ate was pancakes and some sausage and ended up paying $15 for it. We only stayed M-F so I can't say for what it's like on the weekend. The bus was VERY convenient for us getting into town and back, but it is also very full most the time, you may have to stand.

Overall, I loved our stay here. But PV didn't impress us enough overall, so I doubt we'll go back.

Room Tip: High floor with ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Alecia,

Congratulations on your engagement!!!!
I am glad we were hosts to such and unforgettable event.
Next time you visit Puerto Vallarta, and i do hope you do, let me know in advance. i will make sure to make you fall in love with this amazing destination..Sometimes when not knowing where to go and what to do its frustrating...But Puerto Vallarta has very romantic and unique places...like the waterfalls just 10 minutes away from Costa Sur, the zip lines, the outdoor adventures which included rappelling down waterfalls..Rhythms of the night which is an island just illuminated by more than 3,000 candles where you go and have dinner on the beach and see a pre-hispanic show....I can go on and on for hours...

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at Costa Sur and thank you so much for your review...
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This was my first trip to Mexico. My girlfriend and I arrived on Thanksgiving Day, and were greeted by some very friendly Bell Hops. Check in was quick and painless. We were expecting a studio room, but were bumped up to a one bedroom unit. The view was fantastic. The beach is small, as may folks have stated, but was never crowded with people. There were lots of fish, crabs and birds to observe while snorkeling and lounging.

The food was ok. There aren't very many choices for vegetarians (my girlfriend). The drinks were strong, and not priced too terribly high. The bed absolutely killed my back and neck though. Same for my g/f. We did both get sick our second to last day there. It wasn't the water, since we didn't consume any of it, so it had to have been the food. The bus stop being across the highway from the hotel's front door is super convenient, but can be a bit scary with the way some people drive down there.

Housekeeping, bartenders, waiters, and front desk staff were friendly, professional, and always willing to help when we had questions. We didn't have to towel issues that some folks have mentioned on here. We went down and checked out the towels on our first day there and swapped them out twice over the course of the week. They always had fresh ones available.

The shower was HOT and water pressure was good. Shower was HUGE! Elevators are insanely small though. Ceiling fan in the bedroom was loud and the pull chains were clanking against the lamp. We had to turn them off and run the AC at night. Fridge was old. I suggest they replace them with more modern ones. They should go with actual top mount fridges as opposed to the ones with the freezer inside the fridge. We had issues with keeping our ice cream frozen. Also, they may want to invest in an electronic key card system. The doorknob wasn't too receptive of our keys, and we had to fight to get the door to unlock.

All in all, it was a great visit! (aside from the sickness). This place seems to attract an older crowd. Seemed like everyone there was over 50, with a couple of exceptions. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but if you're younger, (20s-30s) don't expect to see a lot of people in that age group.

Dear Guest,

I am sorry I didn't get your name but wanted to thank you for your review.
It is very refreshing when we read how our guests got to enjoy their time with us and also to get their suggestions.
I will certainly pass them on to management. How ever I wanted to let you know little by little we are replacing appliances..So please let me know when you come back to make sure you stay in a room with appliances replaced.

Thank you again and have a fantastic week!
Loveland, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

For the price, this is a great place to stay!

My biggest compliment to the resort would be how friendly the staff is. They learn your name and use it throughout your stay. They are all willing to help out and make your stay the best they can. Everyone from the front desk (Andres & Fernando) to the bartenders (Flavio and others whose names excape me) and the waiters (Victor and the manager--never got his name) are all very good at their jobs.

The view from all of the the rooms is awesome. Unobstructed ocean view from every room. I always love this...you can hear the waves crashing throughout the night if you leave the patio door open. Also, the rooms are quite large. We had a 1 bedroom which had 1 1/2 baths. Very convenient since there were 3 of us girls. We did see a studio as well and it was very large too, but I definitely liked having the second bathroom.

My only cautionary advice would be that all of the rooms are smoking. If you are sensitive to smoke smell this might bother you. I am pretty sensitive myself and we did ask to be moved from the first room we checked in to. I have a feeling the person staying just prior to us had been smoking in there and it didn't have time to air out. The good thing is that most of the room has solid surfaces (floors, etc) so the smoke doesn't have much to absorb in to. The room we moved to was significantly better and with the patio doors open, it aired right out.

The resort has been updated somewhat. I would not call it a complete renovation by any means, but it is comfortable. They have nice, new, big TVs (which we never used) and decent furnishings. The bathrooms and kitchen areas are fairly dated still. Think brown and pink sinks, old appliances, etc. We had a combo of old and new appliances in the kitchen - fridge was new, everything else old. Also, since it is a little older, the caulking is cracking and there is some water damage in the bathroom on the trim. I am not super picky when it comes to stuff like this as we tend not to spend a lot of time in the room. They could do a little more maintenance/updating in these areas and it would make a fantastic place to stay!

Overall, good location (bus stop right across the street for only 7 pesos to town), AWESOME, friendly staff, comfortable accomodations (bed was good, spacious rooms), good food and drinks at the bar and restaurant. For the price, I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: The one bedrooms on the far south end of the building are a lot larger than the others...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Amanda,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Costa Sur with the rest of the travel community. This certainly helps future guests have a much clearer idea of the value the will receive on their future vacations.

I will make sure to pass on your comments about our staff as this type of recognition inspires them to give an even better service.

Thank you again and hope to see you in Costa Sur again very soon!
seattle, wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Staff was excellent, bed was comfortable, food was awefull. Beach is almost non-existant, pool was small and very crowded. They prohibit taking bath towels to the pool, but they ran out of beach towels within two hours of the pool opening. Construction outside my window (not their fault) made sleeping difficult. I will not go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comment on Trip Advisor.
If you could please email me directly as I need your information in order to look into what happened with the food and beverage service, gfadul@playadelsolpv.com. We actually get really good reviews about our food and have become a preferred hotel for weddings and catering events, therefore you can see why I am so concerned with your review.
The road construction in front of the hotel is over...and we are so happy as access to our hotel now has been improved dramatically.
I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thank you again!
Homer, Ak. USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This resort has it all, beach, good food, great snorkeling in protected warm waters, lots of fish, the rooms are nice with balconies facing the beach and catching a nice breeze. We had a medical emergency at the hotel, an english speaking doctor was at our room within twenty minutes. We were taken to a private clinic, owned by the doctor. We were so well taken care of we are thinking about keeping this man as our family doctor. The hotel staff was excellent, I can't say enough good things about Costa Sur!! Don't be afraid to travel to Mexico.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Mitsy,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the rest of the Trip Advisor community.
We are thrilled to have become your new favorite resort!
Come back to see us soon!

Been to Costa Sur Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!