“Used a Living Social Deal - Made it Worthwhile” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Sur Resort & Spa

You added Costa Sur Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Costa Sur Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carr. Puerto Vallarta a Barra de Navidad Km. 4.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48390, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #34 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Colorado, United States
“Used a Living Social Deal - Made it Worthwhile”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The living social deal included 20% off food with chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne. My boyfriend proposed and having the strawberries and champagne was a wonderful way to help celebrate! The staff was very friendly, although the one time we used the concierge for a restaurant suggestion it ended in disappointment. We were suggested "El Set" down the road. We were the only ones there, their caesar salad was three leaves of lettuce with dressing and we spent $80 on drinks and two appetizers. Would not recommend anyone go there.

We had an 11th floor room on the ocean side which had a wonderful view and being able to hear the ocean waves was great. It was so quiet and peaceful and yes the beds were very large and comfortable. It was great having the private beach. It wasn't crowded during our stay so we were able to really enjoy ourselves. The average age of the guests was retired though just for reference.

I also wouldnt bother with the spa, I paid $7 to have my nail polish changed and was shooed out before it was dry and it ended up being the worst job I've had.

The nachos were good, but I wouldn't bother with the brunch. We werent told we had another option (menu) for breakfast and the buffet was overpriced. All I ate was pancakes and some sausage and ended up paying $15 for it. We only stayed M-F so I can't say for what it's like on the weekend. The bus was VERY convenient for us getting into town and back, but it is also very full most the time, you may have to stand.

Overall, I loved our stay here. But PV didn't impress us enough overall, so I doubt we'll go back.

Room Tip: High floor with ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Alecia,

Congratulations on your engagement!!!!
I am glad we were hosts to such and unforgettable event.
Next time you visit Puerto Vallarta, and i do hope you do, let me know in advance. i will make sure to make you fall in love with this amazing destination..Sometimes when not knowing where to go and what to do its frustrating...But Puerto Vallarta has very romantic and unique places...like the waterfalls just 10 minutes away from Costa Sur, the zip lines, the outdoor adventures which included rappelling down waterfalls..Rhythms of the night which is an island just illuminated by more than 3,000 candles where you go and have dinner on the beach and see a pre-hispanic show....I can go on and on for hours...

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at Costa Sur and thank you so much for your review...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This was my first trip to Mexico. My girlfriend and I arrived on Thanksgiving Day, and were greeted by some very friendly Bell Hops. Check in was quick and painless. We were expecting a studio room, but were bumped up to a one bedroom unit. The view was fantastic. The beach is small, as may folks have stated, but was never crowded with people. There were lots of fish, crabs and birds to observe while snorkeling and lounging.

The food was ok. There aren't very many choices for vegetarians (my girlfriend). The drinks were strong, and not priced too terribly high. The bed absolutely killed my back and neck though. Same for my g/f. We did both get sick our second to last day there. It wasn't the water, since we didn't consume any of it, so it had to have been the food. The bus stop being across the highway from the hotel's front door is super convenient, but can be a bit scary with the way some people drive down there.

Housekeeping, bartenders, waiters, and front desk staff were friendly, professional, and always willing to help when we had questions. We didn't have to towel issues that some folks have mentioned on here. We went down and checked out the towels on our first day there and swapped them out twice over the course of the week. They always had fresh ones available.

The shower was HOT and water pressure was good. Shower was HUGE! Elevators are insanely small though. Ceiling fan in the bedroom was loud and the pull chains were clanking against the lamp. We had to turn them off and run the AC at night. Fridge was old. I suggest they replace them with more modern ones. They should go with actual top mount fridges as opposed to the ones with the freezer inside the fridge. We had issues with keeping our ice cream frozen. Also, they may want to invest in an electronic key card system. The doorknob wasn't too receptive of our keys, and we had to fight to get the door to unlock.

All in all, it was a great visit! (aside from the sickness). This place seems to attract an older crowd. Seemed like everyone there was over 50, with a couple of exceptions. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but if you're younger, (20s-30s) don't expect to see a lot of people in that age group.

Dear Guest,

I am sorry I didn't get your name but wanted to thank you for your review.
It is very refreshing when we read how our guests got to enjoy their time with us and also to get their suggestions.
I will certainly pass them on to management. How ever I wanted to let you know little by little we are replacing appliances..So please let me know when you come back to make sure you stay in a room with appliances replaced.

Thank you again and have a fantastic week!
Loveland, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

For the price, this is a great place to stay!

My biggest compliment to the resort would be how friendly the staff is. They learn your name and use it throughout your stay. They are all willing to help out and make your stay the best they can. Everyone from the front desk (Andres & Fernando) to the bartenders (Flavio and others whose names excape me) and the waiters (Victor and the manager--never got his name) are all very good at their jobs.

The view from all of the the rooms is awesome. Unobstructed ocean view from every room. I always love this...you can hear the waves crashing throughout the night if you leave the patio door open. Also, the rooms are quite large. We had a 1 bedroom which had 1 1/2 baths. Very convenient since there were 3 of us girls. We did see a studio as well and it was very large too, but I definitely liked having the second bathroom.

My only cautionary advice would be that all of the rooms are smoking. If you are sensitive to smoke smell this might bother you. I am pretty sensitive myself and we did ask to be moved from the first room we checked in to. I have a feeling the person staying just prior to us had been smoking in there and it didn't have time to air out. The good thing is that most of the room has solid surfaces (floors, etc) so the smoke doesn't have much to absorb in to. The room we moved to was significantly better and with the patio doors open, it aired right out.

The resort has been updated somewhat. I would not call it a complete renovation by any means, but it is comfortable. They have nice, new, big TVs (which we never used) and decent furnishings. The bathrooms and kitchen areas are fairly dated still. Think brown and pink sinks, old appliances, etc. We had a combo of old and new appliances in the kitchen - fridge was new, everything else old. Also, since it is a little older, the caulking is cracking and there is some water damage in the bathroom on the trim. I am not super picky when it comes to stuff like this as we tend not to spend a lot of time in the room. They could do a little more maintenance/updating in these areas and it would make a fantastic place to stay!

Overall, good location (bus stop right across the street for only 7 pesos to town), AWESOME, friendly staff, comfortable accomodations (bed was good, spacious rooms), good food and drinks at the bar and restaurant. For the price, I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: The one bedrooms on the far south end of the building are a lot larger than the others...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Amanda,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Costa Sur with the rest of the travel community. This certainly helps future guests have a much clearer idea of the value the will receive on their future vacations.

I will make sure to pass on your comments about our staff as this type of recognition inspires them to give an even better service.

Thank you again and hope to see you in Costa Sur again very soon!
seattle, wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Staff was excellent, bed was comfortable, food was awefull. Beach is almost non-existant, pool was small and very crowded. They prohibit taking bath towels to the pool, but they ran out of beach towels within two hours of the pool opening. Construction outside my window (not their fault) made sleeping difficult. I will not go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comment on Trip Advisor.
If you could please email me directly as I need your information in order to look into what happened with the food and beverage service, gfadul@playadelsolpv.com. We actually get really good reviews about our food and have become a preferred hotel for weddings and catering events, therefore you can see why I am so concerned with your review.
The road construction in front of the hotel is over...and we are so happy as access to our hotel now has been improved dramatically.
I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thank you again!
Homer, Ak. USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This resort has it all, beach, good food, great snorkeling in protected warm waters, lots of fish, the rooms are nice with balconies facing the beach and catching a nice breeze. We had a medical emergency at the hotel, an english speaking doctor was at our room within twenty minutes. We were taken to a private clinic, owned by the doctor. We were so well taken care of we are thinking about keeping this man as our family doctor. The hotel staff was excellent, I can't say enough good things about Costa Sur!! Don't be afraid to travel to Mexico.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Mitsy,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the rest of the Trip Advisor community.
We are thrilled to have become your new favorite resort!
Come back to see us soon!
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

So, I was so excited for my trip to PV, and near the end I was so excited to get the heck out (even tried to find earlier flights)! Costa Sur has a fantastic view- and the wait staff, front desk help, and concierge are fantastic- that is ALL that's good. Our first night was fine- I noticed that the room was a little smelly, but I tried to go with it. As I was getting into bed on the 2nd night- a bed bug was by my pillow staring at me. When I called to complain- they brought me new sheets. After further discussion they moved us to new room. Still a little dirty, but it worked. So, the next night we ate at the restaurant, and at about midnight- both my husband and I were not feeling well and fighting over the bathroom. The next morning I called down to the desk for more TP and something to help settle our stomachs- after an hour and a half- they called back to tell me that it could not have been their food, because they are so clean! We also had to flag down housekeeping to get TP. Ok.....the night of the bed big incident there wad a note under our door stating that fumigation was going to take place between 10 and 3- I think this is done through the ventilation system, because at 10am we could smell chemical through out the hotel. Also, they claim to have wifi - but it only works in the food and pool area, but not in your room. Having said all that- we had a pretty craptastic anniversary trip. There are much nicer resorts in PV - save up, go to one....unless this is all you can afford, and you don't have high expectations.

Room Tip: Ask for an end room - you get an extra window.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

First thank you for sharing your experience at Costa Sur.
We do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at our resort.
I am not sure what could have caused you to be ill but we did not receive any additional notifications of guests with similar symptoms.

Regarding bugs, as you know, we are surrounded by nature and this is a common problem, but rest assured we take all proper precautions to make sure all guest have the best time in Costa Sur.
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This hotel is located in the south part of Puerto Vallarta and has nice suites with an excellent sea view. It has a swimming pool with the bar and restaurant, small sand beach and a mini shop. We liked the huge room with balcony, kitchen and big bathroom. The suite was clean, the staff was very polite and the coctails at the bar were great. One disadvantage of this hotel is: on the weekends the weddings take place and it might be loud and full. There are only two small elevators and sometimes it takes some time until you get in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Adri,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the rest of the travel community.
We do hope this review is helpful for our future guests.
Come back and visit us soon!

Been to Costa Sur Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!