“What a joke at Kid's explorer club..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
FREE WI-FI
Ranked #9 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Alberta, Canada
“What a joke at Kid's explorer club..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed from sep27-oct4. Booked the preferred tower since I have read lots from trip advisor.. I called the hotel a week before we arrived for high floor but checked in got a ground floor..ok no worried I don't want to ruin the holiday coz of this little thing..I almost forget to mentioned we traveled with 3 yrs old twin daughters..the reason we booked this hotel regarding about kids club.. We didn't want to leave our kids at home with family but tried to find the hotel which provide us the some couple time about 3-4 hours a day. I didn't think I ask too much for the money I paid! .. First day we went and checked out.. There have 3 staffs which are under 25 years old seem very unorganized .. We were there on time for parents tour and had to ring the bell 4 times before one of them came and looked at us liked we were early.. I tried to be positive coz we just started our first day of vacation.. Alright, after we signed our kids they give you a beeper which I believe they will page us if some accidents happen or kids will not settle down after they have tried the hardest... 30 mins after we left my beeper was ringing and I was just like other parents ran from the preferred tower to another side of older building to hear the staff name Alex said one of my daughter wanted to go see us when I looked at them I saw them running around without any tear or scream.. What can I say I had to signed them out and pretty much had our kids for the whole day.. The second day was happened to be the same 2 hrs later they paged us and we called instead of working across building .. Same girl Alex said my daughters said they are not hungry for lunch!! C'mon you asked 3 years old to eat how many kids would jump and joy? I was so disappointed that they never tried to make connection with kids..some days only my 2 kids for the whole day! One other thing.. This kids club has only one air conditioner in the tiny movie room which those untrained professional staffs are hang out. The reason that why they didn't hear when the parents drop the off... We tried to see if other staff would step up and do they job at least "try"...but nothing changed.. We have seen other case which a mom dropped her 5 years old off 45 mins after the paged her and Alex said your kid wanted to get out and that little boy shout back I didn't say that mom.. It was happened while I got a call from them as well.. I looked around and only my kids and her son left 20 mins before they lunch time.. What can i say! We fed up and finally talked to entertainment manager.. He listened and only make a couple comments.. First, it hard to find the older staff who can have experience & speak English.. Second, he said sorry for our situation and just left us blank!!!.. Well, the last day I thought I need to speak to someone who really really care about the hotel reputation which Paulina stepped in and apologized and wanted us to come back and promised to bring this issue to the board meeting.. Well, to be honest with all of you who loves to have a great memory vacation without feeling guilty to leave your children at home. I don't think this place is good for you..Do I want to risk my almost $4,000 to give it another try to this hotel NO WAY..

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
Vancouver Island, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

My girlfriends and I found Dreams to be a wonderful vacation spot - our only problem is others seem to have a problem with us showing our affection for one another in public. If my g/f and I happened to be walking down the beach hand in hand we had people criticizing us (there's more then man/woman relationships in this world people!) We had guys coming up to us asking if we wanted a man for a night and other stupid distasteful remarks like that. Because the people at the resort found our lifestyle distasteful we often ventured into PV where we were welcomed in a lot of the bars and restaurants. We found that there were a lot of same sex relationships at our hotel but others choose to hide it whereas we didn't - sorry I am openly gay and am not ashamed to show it. Overall the resort was nice.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

My husband and I had a wonderful stay - 8 nights and 7 days - at Dreams. The location is about a 20-30 minute cab ride from the hotel and marina, but besides that, the location is wonderful. Best features are the private beach (which we didn't realize would be so key) and the ease of the all-inclusiveness. The resort has a great selection of restaurants / food / drinks. We also had wonderful weather while we were there and a rooms look out to the ocean. I highly recommend staying in the preferred members building - a number of perks that are well worth it, especially if you're going for your honeymoon.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

My family and I stayed at Dreams from 10/30/10 to 11/6/10. This was our third visit to Dreams, and we had a great time despite a few issues that were not present on our previous trips.

First, the good stuff - We stayed in the old tower during our first two visits and decided to upgrade to the preferred tower. We stayed in rooms 1354 and 1355 (non-jacuzzi rooms), and it was a night-and-day difference compared to the old tower. The rooms were gorgeous, and we definitely took advantage of our balcony at sunset. The beds were extremely comfortable, and the bathrooms was impeccably clean. For comparison purposes, we found the beds in the old tower to be really hard, and there was a strange odor at times. We had none of these issues in the new tower. The buffet and "bar" downstairs in the preferred tower were so-so, but we didn't really use them anyway. If we come back, we will definitely stay in the preferred tower. It's worth the extra money.

Also, the staff was incredible (as always). From housekeeping to bars to restaurants, all of the staff members we met were genuinely friendly and happy to help us. The water aerobics and fun pool games were also great. The staff factor alone would persuade us to come back again.

Now, the few hiccups - we think the food quality decreased compared to our past visits. We loved Seaside Grill on our past stays, and our steaks this time around were bland and had a strange consistency. Our omelets were undercooked at breakfast at times, and I could not tell whether my beef carpaccio at Portofino was a meat product or some other unknown concoction. To be fair, we had a great meal at Oceana, but that was the only memorable meal we had. We had some great meals in town (No Way Jose, La Piazzeta, Oscars) that made up for our poor dinners at Dreams, but this definitely stood out to us.

Also, this is not really a plus or negative, but the demographics of the hotel have changed quite a bit. In the past, we loved the quiet and classy bars and week-long guests we met during our stays. Now, the majority of the guests at the hotel are wedding party guests who are staying for 2-4 days. Please note that we met many friendly wedding guests during our stay, but there were a few who were definitely partying up a storm and pounding down as many drinks as possible during their short stay. During the weekend, 80% of the guests were from wedding parties. As a result. it seemed as if the dress code was not closely adhered to at the restaurants and the bars were much more rowdier. Most nights we enjoyed the celebratory environment, but other nights we retreated to our balconies with our drinks when the bars got a little too noisy. Just our two cents - as I mentioned above, I do not mean to offend anyone or state that all wedding guests acted like this, but it was definitely a change from past visits. Weddings seem to be a really big money maker for Dreams now, and I'm glad the hotel found a niche market in this tough economy.

Overall, we would visit Dreams again. For the first time, however, we'll likely look at other hotels (and possibly condos) to see if there are better options for our stay in PV.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Dreamspv, General Manager at Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
As Dreams Puerto Vallarta Quality Control Manager, I am concerned and very interested about our customer’s observations. I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments and experience about your stay with us at the Dreams Puerto Vallarta. Of course, it is never pleasant to hear that we have disappointed one of our guests.
Please accept our apologies for failing in that instance, but please be assured that your comments and feedback are certainly being taken into consideration and acted upon in order for us to improve our facilities and services.
Again, we would like to convey our gratefulness, as your feedback enables us to improve ourselves in many different areas. We thank you for having chosen our resort and hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve many more of our customers again in the near future.

It is a pleasure!

Karen Curiel
Quality Control
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

This was our first stay at a Dreams resort, but we quickly followed up with a second one in Cancun in November 2010. We liked both resorts for different reasons. For romance and great food we would definitly come back to this Dreams resort (PV).

Our stay was outstanding, with great food, beautiful FULL ocean view suites (Preferred tower) which are large clean and just great.

The best features:
-outstanding view
-a very private beach setting between two large mountain rocks
-seaside gril resto, with great food and OUTSTANDING sunsets
-superb Mexican authentic food
-great attention to detail by staff and resort management

Some very minor complaints:
-poor access for stroller for kids (hard to get around)
-pools are small and could use an upgrade for kids in particular
-the Explorer club needs an upgrade

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Belleville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

Resort:
Pros:
-Fabulous, very well maintained with lots of tropical plants, trees and flowers.
-Secluded but only a 5 min cab ride to town
-Complete property was within a short walking distance
-All restaurants, bathrooms and common areas were spotless and continually being cleaned by staff
-Front desk and Concierge staff were pleasant, professional and served each guest quickly and efficiently.
-Treated to a cool towel and champagne upon arrival. Apples and cookies were available at the counter.
Cons:
None

Rooms:
Pros:
-Large bright and well maintained.
-Main tower rooms were completely acceptable. The upgraded "preferred tower" would be nice but the extra cost is not worth the funds as you are not spending that much time in your room - we spent the extra $1000 on trips, all our shopping and spa treatments.
-Bed and pillows were extremely comfortable.

Cons:
-Bathroom tissue dispenser was too big for the roll so came off in small pieces
-Room was cleaned late in the day although we were asked around what time of day we would prefer it to be cleaned
-Turn down service was done each day when we were in the room, so she was not able to always do it for us.
-Maid had no English skills
-Mini frig was asked to be stocked ONLY with diet pop and this was not done; only received 3 bottles and on last two days did not get any and space was filled only with water.

Restaurants:
Pros:
-All restaurants had a good selection on their menus. World Cafe was the only buffet restaurant so had the best selection. Although we chose to not visit the Portifino restaurant the others were excellent with great service.
-Food had a wonderful presentation.
Cons:
-Only con was at World Cafe there was one day where a waiter poured our first coffee and then disappeared, we had to get everything else from another waiter in another section. At the next meal the same waiter spent his time only speaking to the hostess - cannot remember his name as we only saw him once.

Beach:
Pros:
-Cleaned each day.
-Secluded but private and fairly small.
-Lifeguard walking the beach.
-Lots of chairs and palapas.
Cons:
-Ocean was very wavy and not that suitable for swimming. It was cold with jelly fish at this time - excellent for boogie boarding.
-Vendors were persistent but the number was limited.
-Strong undercurrent, not suitable for young children.

Pool:
Pros:
-3 pools, all an okay in size but the main pool was very busy with kids.
-Clean
-Bars at 2 of 3 pools
-Wonderful towels
-Entertainment team worked hard at getting participation.
Cons:
-Not enough wait staff to get drinks while sitting at chairs or on the beach.
-Chairs reserved very early in the day at the pools with guests not showing up until later in the day.
-Main Pool - Guests would sit at bar stools for long period of time and not move.......

Bar Tenders:
Pros:
-Worked hard to give you the drinks you wanted.
Cons:
-You get served much faster if you are a pretty young girl.

Spa:
Received a fabulous couples massage!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

This place was great. We went in September which is the rainy season. It was beautiful every day, though humid, and rained about 5pm for an hour or two. I hear November through May is the best time to go. Less humid, no rain. We stayed in the older tower which was cheaper, but the rooms were still nice. The food was absolutely outstanding. 5 star restaurant quality all the way. I liked the Italian restaurant the best, but not all are open every night so go when you can. They even had 23 hour room service! The people we met were great and the staff was wonderful. We always tipped, but they treated you the same if you did or not. I would go back in a second. Also, taxi's from the airport run about $25. so you can skip buying transportation with your package which is more expensive. A taxi to town is $5. but we only went there to buy tequila:) They gave you spa credits but the price was so high it matched United States prices after the discount. Loved the swim up bar. They were even going to have Monday night football on a large screen on the beach, but it rained. I got bitten quite a bit, most people didn't, so insect repellent is recommended

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!