“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
FREE WI-FI
Ranked #9 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Mexico City, Mexico
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

My girlfriend and I decided we wanted nothing but relaxation all weekend, and that's why we chose an ALL INCLUIVE hotel. And Dreams really includes it ALL. Food, drinks, snacks, minibar, room services, etc. We had the greatest time without leaving the hotel once. The service is the best and everyone is just so nice and funny. Rooms and activities are also very good.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (895)
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

This spur of the moment trip was planned on a tuesday and executed on a saturday...we trusted Tripadvisor and sure enough, we were wonderfully surprised.
Getting there was a cinch.
We got a great-last-minute-swine-flu deal in a junior suite and let me tell you, the room was beautiful. Clean, comfy beds, great bathroom, nice hottub on the balcony. Very nice. Great maid service as well.
Food - the breakfast/lunch buffets were excellent (and I'm a HUGE buffet afficiando). Nice mexican, great guacamole, fresh salads. The sit-down restaraunts were great (the italian restaraunt wasn't the greatest, but the seafood place overlooking the water was awesome). I gained 7pounds in 5days. That should tell you how much I enjoyed the food (and I'm not a large guy either).
The drinks through the resort were hit or miss depending on how fancy you wanted to get. I got great dry martini's, margarita's and pina colada's. And the beers were always very cold. Nothing to complain about. The pools might be the only drawback...the infinity pool (no kids), was smallish and you couldn't find a bit of shade. The pool with the swim up bar was swarming with children. I prefer the beach, so the lack luster pools didn't faze me much.
As for the beach. It was quiet, secluded, and well serviced by the wait staff. The number of trinket salespeople was kept to a minimum but they were all friendly and respectful.
Speaking of friendly and respectful....that sums up the entire staff. Friendly, respectful, helpful and pleasant.
The gym was decent (I worked out every day and still managed to gain weight) and the nighttime activities were cool too. The only time we left the resort was to take a chartered fishing trip.

We'll be back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

We recently had a vacation ruined by a company called cheapoair and had to book an emergency vacation to replace the one that was ruined. We researched hotels in Puerto Vallarta as it was close to home and we enjoy traveling to Mexico. All the reviews for Dreams Puerto Vallarta were positive. Everyone commented on how it was one of the best places they had ever been, loved the rooms, loved the food, loved the service, loved the location. We were so excited to go on this vacation as we have never stayed in a 5 star, 4 diamond hotel.

However, the excitement ended there. When we arrived at the hotel, there was no one to greet us at the taxi and there was only one person working behind the counter. When I asked if they had a room in the new tower he laughed and asked me what I would pay for it and thought that my request was a joke. We got the room keys and were told about the items offered in the all inclusive package. I liked the fact that we did not have to wear the little plastic band on our wrists. We were told that our mini bar would be re-filled every day, there was 24 hour room service and 4 places to eat with a free safe in the closet.

Here are the good parts:
1) The beach is private, the sand was clean, the water was clear, the waves were small and a little larger towards the evening.
2) The all inclusive drinks included premium alcohol (without an additional increase in the cost of the stay)
3) The grounds were clean
4) The tour vendors were friendly and gave good advice on the different excursions. They did not try to sell you something just to make a buck
5) The vendors on the beach were associated with the hotel and not random people trying to make a dollar. Once you said no they did not bother you again
6) The room was clean and spacious for a regular room
7) The view from all the rooms were ocean views with spectacular sunsets and lightening storms at night.
8) There were plenty of thatched hut like things on the beach with plenty of shade from the sun.
9) The bar staff at the beach were the most friendly and were always available when you needed them
10) Every night a flier was slid under the door to tell you of the following days activities.

Here is the average:
1) The staff was there to help, but were not always friendly. They appeared to just be there to do a job, not to make the guests happy. We would like to say that we made a friend Jorge in the World Cafe and he was always there at dinner to greet us and he even went out of his way to help us purchase some wrestler costume masks when we could not find them in town. He purchased them, brought them to dinner and gave them to us when we were eating. This was above and beyond nice of him.
2) The food was average and very salty. The world cafe fried most of their food and was so hot from the additional heat of the fryer that it was almost unbearable to sit there. The Mexican restaurant was also average. They took more time than usual (even in Mexican minutes) to serve you or even take your order. They would not let you order the starter, entree and dessert at once they made you do it one at a time and it took like 2 hours for one quick meal. They say that there is a strict dress code for the restaurants but when we got there most people were in shorts and flip flops. We tried the italian restaurant, which had better food but the same poor service. The waiter took more than 20 minutes to even take our order and give us water. The room service had a lot of limitations and only served a limited number of items. We wanted ice cream one night when it was not served in the World Cafe and we were told that room service does not offer it even though the front desk told us that was the only way to get the ice cream. The staff does not always know what was going on. We would rate the food average. This is especially since we were just visiting a hotel in Cancun that was reviewed as one of the worst hotels with the worst food and it turned out to have the best service, the cleanest facility and the best food we have had at a hotel of this kind. We are finding that the reviews are not helping anymore as we seem to have the opposite experience from the other folk.
3) The entertainment was also average. The shows were only 40 minutes long, they started very early (most people were still in the pool or at the beach) and the movies shown every night were for children only. We understand that the movie has to be for everyone but does ever night have to be a cartoon? Every event flier slipped under the door stated that they may release baby turtles and for 7 days this never happened. I am curious to know how they do it, where do they get the turtles and where they would release them as we were in a bay.

Here is the bad:
1) When you book tours make sure you ask if the operator of the tour will bring you back to the hotel. Some of our tours picked us up but do to how far the hotel is away from everything they did not bring us back and we had to pay for a taxi
2) You cannot walk to anything from this hotel unless you like walking on a busy street a long way into town
3) Our mini bar in the room was never re-filled each day when they cleaned the room. Every evening we had to order room service to get bottles of water and sodas
4) The room was cleaned even when we put the do not disturb sign was on the door
5) Room service was an average of an hour or more to get our order even when it was just beverages
6) Since we have been to all inclusive hotels before, we knew to bring our own cup for our beverages so we did not have to go back to the bar 100 times for beer, water and soda. We had left the cups we brought from home in the hotel room one day when we were on a tour (one had water in it and one had soda in it) and the maid had taken them. We went to the front desk to ask them to find out what she did with them in case for some reason she was taking them to be cleaned or something and the lady at the front desk was un-helpful. She asked a lot of questions about the cups and when she learned that they were plastic she acted like why should we care. She said that she called the supervisor but she did not have anything to tell us. At one point when I was waiting for her to tell me what they would do about the cups she just stared at me like I was a painting or sculpture. I had to ask her again to get her to snap back to reality. We never heard from them about the cups. Of course they were not important cups, they came from a trip to the zoo but it was the principle not the stupid cups. The maid should not steal anything period.

7) For a hotel this size their pools are not adequate. They have 3 pools all which are small. There is no shade at the main pool or the adult pool. There are a lot of people to try and fit into 3 small pools. The adult pool is so small that a lady was floating on a raft thing and it took up more than half of the pool. The pool shaded by the trees is full of families with very small children. The hot tubs are also small and were not running at night.

All in all we had a good time because we made it a good time. The experience probably would have been better if we were not hyped up from all of the reviews. Since we were expecting greatness, we were disappointed. It is an average hotel, not what you pay for. For the cost of the stay you would expect the hotel and staff to be the best they can be. I would recommend it to a friend but would not sell it as a fabulous place to stay. we have stayed in much cheaper places (some that have no stars or rating) and they have been a cut above the rest. As one review we saw said "your vacation is what you make of it". This is true and we have learned now to read the reviews, take them into consideration, but not base our experience or have pre-disposed opinions until we get there and experience it for ourselves.

We booked the tours through Vallarta Adventures

We recommend the San Blas tour with Adan Lopez as your guide. He was born and raised there and so the experience and his knowledge make the tour that much better. He is friendly, funny and always there to make sure you are having a good time. This tour also takes you to a different state in Mexico and even though it is just across the river there is a one hour time difference.

We also recommend San Sebastian if you like a quiet town with little to no tourists. The tour is not flashy, there are no vendors or shops, it is a quiet little town in the mountains where the people are very proud of their heritage.

We went on a snorkel tour but it was not the best. We went to Marietas for the day. It is a 2 hour boat ride each way and you only get to snorkel for 2 hours in one location. In every other country we have snorkeled in, the tour usually takes you to three or four different snorkle sights. The sun was not out and it rained but they still did the tour which I thought was a shame. If you know anything about snorkeling, if the sun is not out you do not see anything. The ocean water becomes dark. I am not sure why they still do this type of tour when they should already know that you will not be able to see all of the life in the ocean when it is dark and raining. It is not the fault of the tour company that it was not sunny that day, but I feel that it is their fault for taking the customer's money and doing the tour when they know it will not really be what is offered as you cannot see anything in the water. At one point I felt like I was in the Jaws movie as the water was deep, dark and I could not see land. I even bumped into a coat hanger in the water and it scared the you know what out of me. It is not fun being in the ocean when it is not lit up by the sun, but I am a trooper and tried it anyways as I paid for it.

We would have liked to take the tour to see the Huicholes indians but we could not get enough people to go and so the tour would not go. If anyone reading this has gone on this tour, we would be interested in your opinion.

chicago, il.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

My wife and I had an excellent time, we paid about $2000 for airfare from Chicago and a week at the hotel in the Club tower with a jacuzzi.I would probably return if we could get it cheap again, but be aware of a few things.
1} Skip the hotel transfers from the airport to the hotel and returning to the airport. These are roughly $100 for two people when you book your trip.You are basically paying for an EMARK representive [the company that takes your vouchers from Expedia or whereever) and hails you a cab. The going rate from Dreams to the airport is $20 U.S. dollars. So get your own cab each way, it's very safe. Also make sure it has AC and that it works before you get in. It's a 45 minute trip in alot of traffic.
Selling tours and excursions in Puerto Vallarta is big business. After you clear the final checkpoint at the PV airport, where they check your passport, you will enter a large room without windows, with indirect lighting and tour posters on the walls with several people behind the long desks. These look like employees of the airport but are all hucksters trying to sell you tours and excursions. Emak must have informed them that someone was on the plane who booked their trip through Expedia and that they would be looking for their transfer to the hotel. We had several people calling out to us saying they were with Expedia yet after 5 minutes it was clear they had no connection. Bypass this room and run the guantlet. Book any tours through the hotel, much cheaper and much safer.
The next room has large windows and is the exit to the parking lot where you can get your cab. This is where we found the real Expedia representative(Emark) who apologized, and told us that these companies pay thousands of dollars to the Mexican government to be in the other room to work the touristas.
2) If you have requested a room in the Club tower with a king size bed, don't be shocked at check in if you have to wait a day or two and move to another room to recieve it. There seems to be some problems in the perferred tower with this. These rooms are usually all booked and everyone wants a king size bed. I talked to 5 other people during our stay that all went through this. Not a reason not to book here, just be prepared.
3) The drinks at the pool and beach are terribly watered down. Now this may not be a bad thing the first day or two. The sun is incredibly strong. Alot of people jump right in and eat too much, drink too much and get too much sun the first day. Bad start. They put bottles of liquor out where the snacks are in the Club tower about noon each day. Just take your drink up there and add what you want.
4) As mentioned in other reviews, if you are traveling without your kids the pool scene is not the best. The infinity pool is nice, but small near the tower and there seems to be a group of people that feel some sort of ownership to this area of the hotel. Nice after dinner. The main pool is basically for the kids. Use the beach it's beautiful.
5) We tipped about every other day. If we recognized the waiter or bar tender, we gave them a couple bucks. Really not necessary, or expected. Food was great. Skip the mexican resteraunt at the hotel, the others are far better. Rooms in the new Club tower are extreamly nice, I stayed in the older building my first time which was 25 years ago. It needs remodeling. This hotel used to be the Camino Real..Had a great time, loved it.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

Many people we spoke with, both on and off the resort said we were staying at the best resort in PV. My husband and I just returned August 7th from a 2 week honeymoon. Definitely a romantic spot and we are glad we went.

Hotel service was excellent. All of the staff were wonderful to work with. The overbooked our room in the preferred tower (which I read on Trip Advisor happens frequently). However, they compensated us by putting us in the Penthouse Presidential suite in the older tower. While the PH suite was AMAZING we could tell the other rooms in the other tower weren't as nice. When the moved us to the Preferred Tower we were very happy with our jr. jaccuzzi suite.

Rooms in preferred tower were very nice and room service was excellent...minus a slight smell of mildew that we attributed to the extreme humidity.

Food was surprisingly good. Our favorite restaurants were Oceana (seafood only) and Portofino. For lunch we did the World Cafe buffet...a rather extensive and good buffet. Room service was good too, minus the 30minute wait every morning.
Drinks are excellent.
One bad experience we had with food was the one morning we decided against room service....BAD choice. The buffet line was SUPER long so we went to the only other restaurant open and they shut down the restaurant for 15 MINUTES! Then once they finally seated us we waited 1 hour for our food. We went to complain to a manager and the front desk told us he would reach us at our room since he was in a meeting. He never called, and if he did he never left a message for us. This was our one disappointment

Adult pool is much smaller than expected and a bit crowded. The beach however was a great alternative. The Dreams PV has the only private beach in PV and is very clean.

Regarding life outside the resort:
-Going into town was a bit over-rated. We went to the flea market and all the little shops were the same. The vendors were constantly nagging us and we got sick of repeating "No, Gracias".

-We did two excursions, the Rhythms of the Night boat cruise was one. Very romantic night and very entertaining. Good for couples: families please leave your kids at home. It was annoying for us when one family brought their 8 year old who was running around destroying things while everyone around them was trying to enjoy the romantic dinner. It's an excursion targeted for couples...for a reason.

The second was the Outdoor Adventure Canopy Tour. THE BEST excursion we could have done. It's high energy and high altitudes...so if you're out of shape or afraid of heights stay away. It was the most bang for our buck and we don't regret it at all. The staff here were EXCELLENT. When I got stung by a wasp they helped me out a lot with great care and concern.

You will NOT be disappointed at Dreams Puerto Vallarta.
Tips:
1. Print your hotel confirmation and transportation confirmation for when you depart from your plane and catch your transportation.
2. Confirm, confirm, confirm! We confirmed MANY times directly with the resort to assure our honeymoon package was secure. Even though they still screwed up, they compensated us.
3. DONT visit the on site doctor unless absolute emergency. I was having some stomach issues and payed the $50 to make sure it wasn't an Emergency...he did absolutely nothing and didn't do a good job translating medical terms to English.
4. Try Kayaking - it was pretty fun!
5. Bring some small cash denominations for tip. You aren't required to tip...but some of the staff went above and beyond so we wanted to help them out a little.
6. Bring immodium and laxatives just in case...you ARE going to Mexico and the food/water, while purified & safe at the resort, is still different. We had to buy these products at the store on the resort and it was rather pricey!
7. Spa services are very expensive - we had a lot of honeymoon discounts so we could afford massages...but if you can afford a massage - GO for it!!!!!

Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

READ THIS!!!!!!

We stayed at Dreams Puerto Vallarta from Aug 5th through the 9th. DURING RAINY SEASON. It only rained during the day once but it was SO hot and humid we spent every moment SWEATING. Because of this, we needed to consume more water, which is apparently gold at the restaurants as it took us getting up and searching for a water pitcher to get our own (on several occasions). The only air conditioned places were El Patio restaurant (not so good food and TERRIBLE service) and Portofino (AMAZING). As a matter of fact, this was the only place that had amazing food and service. This was probably due to the strict dress code.

Room service was ok, however, if you order something that is not part of the all inclusive (wine, chocolate covered strawberries etc) there is also a room service charge. Good to know before hand.

We traveled with 3 couples total, ages between 27 and 35.

Here’s a Pro/Con list..

PRO
Beach
Views
Landscaping
Portofino (AWESOME)
Spa (Best massage I EVER HAD)
Room service
Housekeeping

CON
HOT HOT HOT (our fault, rainy season)
Horrible service in restaurants
Only Air conditioning in 2 restaurants
A/C in rooms sucked. Enough said.
Drinks were mixed horribly
NO LIQUOR DISPENSORS
Management
HOT elevators (no A/C, no ventilation, stifling)
TONS OF KIDS (could be a pro for families, I personally wouldn’t bring my 8 month old but that’s just me)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

We had the vacation of a lifetime. I do not understand how some people could not recommend this resort. They obviously never ventured out of the hotel to see that this IS THEE PREMIER PROPERTY IN PUERTO VALLARTA.

Other resorts share beaches with the public or often have little to no space available on the beach when you try to lay out. This is NOT the case at Dreams Puerto Vallarta. They have TONS of chairs available at the beach at and at the pools at all hours. Also you can feel free to leave your things at your chair/table and use the restroom, hop in the pool, swim in the ocean etc. and not worry about your things. This CANNOT be done anywhere else in Puerto Vallarta, that is unless you are renting a vacation home.

To get an idea of the location of Dreams. It is surrounded by lavish million-dollar vacation homes, including that of international superstar Ricky Martin. Being on a secluded stretch of a private beach proves to be priceless when most hotels don't even have palapas on the beach to escape from the heat. (Dreams does!)

The food at the resort is amazing. While the menu options could be greater the preparation and availability of the food is unsurpassed. We were not fans of the buffet (go figure) but found their other restaurants to have more than enough for us to enjoy. I HIGHLY SUGGEST Oceana for breakfast. There is never a line and they serve freshly made smoothies to cure your hangover from their unlimited top shelf alcohol. For the beer drinkers they have Negra Modelo and Corona Extra on tap. Some bars only have Corona so be prepared to walk for a Negra or to just drink the Corona.

One of the very few things I would have changed at Dreams Puerto Vallarta is the location of their swim-up bar. It's located in the popular family pool and you cannot sit at the bar without some small child kicking or splashing you. The Adults only pool had none of these problems but also lacked the extremely popular swim-up bar. I also found that the bartender at the Barracuda Bar to be often overwhelmed by the number of adults needing cocktails at the same time. But the bartender (I forget his name) was quick, attentive and can make you five Miami Vices, three Dirty Monkeys and two Tukans with the speed of a Cheetah. (But please people - don't ask for all of that at once, there are other people at the bar too!)

Alma was the standout staff member during my trip. She greeted me by name on several occasions and would already have my name written down at the restaurant before I even approached the hostess stand.

One tip I read before leaving that I utilized was another reviewer stated bringing $100 in $1 bills to tip throughout your stay. Every time we tipped the engineers they became overtly gracious as they often don't receive tips for their work. (Even though they usually fix the things that go wrong.) We even tipped guy who took us on our Kayak tour to Playa Los Muertos. He was stoked about being able to grab a beer with it after work.

All and all I overwhelmingly recommend this property to anyone considering travel to Puerto Vallarta. And if you have any issues with your stay contact Gregorio at the Concierge Desk and he will take care of you. We had some hiccups in our checkout that were quickly taken care just minutes before our departure. THANKS TO ALL THE STAFF!

There is a video I took from my 20th floor balcony of the Preferred Tower. - [--]

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!