“Awesome Vacation!! (Gluten Free)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
New All Inclusive Hotels
Ranked #7 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Alberta
“Awesome Vacation!! (Gluten Free)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

We have recently returned home from an awesome trip to Puerto Vallarta. We stayed at Dreams Puerto Vallarta from April 24 – May 2, 2009. It was a great resort and cannot think of one thing bad that I want to share. We stayed in the new tower and were very impressed with the quality of the room. It was a beautiful room and was very clean and stocked with all the necessities that we needed. We were on the third floor and the view was so beautiful! Sofia checked us in when we arrived and she was so professional and friendly. There is a desk in the new tower to check in just the people in that tower. There was someone throughout the day if we had a question about anything. They were so great!

My daughter has Celiac Disease (no gluten in her diet). This was our first time travelling with her since she was diagnosed 5 years ago. I was very nervous about it but it turned out to be easier than I thought. We took an English/Spanish translation card explaining what she could not eat which was very helpful. We ate breakfast at the World Café every morning. The selection she could have was very good and she loved going there because she could pick what she wanted and not so much hassle. The staff was so enjoyable and friendly! Our favorite place for supper was definitely the Seaside Grill! I cannot say how much we appreciate their great service and food. The first night we went there we explained my daughter’s dietary needs and they brought over Samuel who was the “captain” of the restaurant. He helped us through ordering that first time. After that they remembered her dietary needs and bent over backwards to make it good for her. Samuel and his fantastic staff made this holiday a trip for us to remember! We felt like we were leaving friends when we had to say good-bye. Hats off to all of you! Gilda at room service was also very helpful. A couple of nights we were tired and ordered in. She was very helpful when I explained her eating issues. I only had phone contact with her but she was so helpful and seemed very attentive to what we needed.

We really enjoyed the private beach at dreams. It was very well maintained every morning. The waiters there were very good at their jobs. We made sure to tip a $1.00 or so to show our appreciation. They were very thankful. The few vendors that were allowed to be on Dreams’ beach were very nice people. We chatted with them and really enjoyed having them there. Some of them even stopped by each day just for a visit. They weren’t really pushy and if you said “no thank you” they would just carry on.

We didn’t do many excursions while we were there other than we hired “Tony” (blue boat) to take us snorkeling at Los Arcos. He comes up to the Dreams beach with his boat and will come to the beach to set up his trips. He charged $50 US an hour. He will do snorkeling, fishing, dolphin watching, site seeing etc. This was the highlight of our trip. He has a great sense of humor and is very knowledgeable about the history of PV, which was a bonus. So look for “Tony” and you will not be disappointed!

All in all, Dreams is a great resort to stay at! It is an older resort so keep that in mind when booking. It is quite a quiet place in the evening so if you want a party place, Dreams may not be the best choice. We loved it and would definitely return or recommend it to family and friends!

Appreciate these great people because they do a really good job!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (866)
Olathe, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

We visited the Dreams PV resort May 5-8, 2009 on a gift certificate that was given to us last fall when our stay didn't go as planned. We arrived and were given a deluxe room on a high floor, which was great. The views are amazing, and the resort is just beautiful.

The GOOD:
The staff is very friendly and quick to offer service and drinks. The resort was about 25% full, so restaurants and pool/beach chairs were not crowded due to the swine flu scare. That just meant that extra attention was given to the few guests who did come to the resort.

The rooms were very clean, and amazingly free of sand, which is quite a feat for a beach resort- a big BRAVO to the hardworking maids! Trays from room service were also removed quickly, which keeps the hallways looking good and also free of ants/flies.

The entertainment was good - there was a Cinco de Mayo celebration one night, and a Fire Show another. We really enjoyed these and it was obvious that a lot of hard work went into them.

The Spa- the beachfront massage was incredible, minus the setup, see below.

We were upgraded to a tower room, but only after my husband learned of other couples who had been upgraded for free and complained to the front desk. In my opinion, if the resort is that empty, anyone who had trouble with the resort in the past should have been upgraded for free. That is just good customer service! I have to say that the rooms in the tower are, well, WOW.

The BAD:
The infinity pool was not properly treated, and was looking a little green toward the end of our stay. I saw the staff was putting chemicals in the pool while there were people lounging in it mid-day instead of at night when it was closed. This is really a no-no. I really don't like green hair or itchy skin, so I got out as soon as I saw this happening.

The specialty restaurants were closed for breakfast and lunch, and only two out of four were open each day for dinner. This meant the resort offered little choice for meals, but we never went hungry, as the world buffet always had enough variety to make us happy. We never had to wait at the restaurants at dinner, and the food was excellent, so it's more of a dissapointment they weren't all open than a complaint.

The robes in the spa were too small-I am used to the huge one size fits all that fit more like a blanket than a robe-these seemed to be made for 85 pound teenagers. While guests wait for their massage on the terrace, they are expected to sit on lounge chairs that can be seen from the general patio, pool and tower, and for the modest like myself, this was uncomfortable and I felt quite exposed.

Overall, I gave this trip 4 stars. I felt that the service we received this trip more than made up for the problems we had on our last stay, and would visit this resort again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

My husband and I have put our passports to good use over the last several years and have stayed at many all-inclusives. This was by far the best place so far, even better than the Sandals where we got married in Jamaica!

Rooms: We stayed in the old tower and found it to be very nice. It has clearly been updated. The beds are comfortable, the mini-bar well stocked and everything was clean. Every room has an ocean view so I don't think it's possible to have a bad room. Although personally I would stay away from the first few floors because I like to sleep with the doors open and I wouldn't feel safe doing that on the lower level no matter where I was staying.

Beach/pool: Perfect, perfect and more perfect. Sand is raked, water is clear (once you get out past the crashing waves). We tried out all 3 pools and loved them all. There are vendors on the beach but they aren't pushy. Talk to them, you'll get a great deal! It's souvenir shopping without having to get out of your chair! We talked at length one day with a jewelry vendor named Izzy - he told us that the hotel only allows 5 vendors on the beach at a time. The hotel also inspects the jewelry as they enter each day, so no need to worry about getting fake stuff on the beach. Just check for the 925 marking.

Food/beverage: This is hands down the best food we have EVER eaten at ANY resort. The presentation at the a la carte restaurants was spectacular. We also enjoyed the buffet and the Mexican and Latino parties. I had freshly made taquitos nearly every morning for breakfast and a delicous variety of other Mexican cuisine and seafood every lunch and dinner. The drinks are all top shelf. Corona, Modelo, and top shelf liquors. Jim Beam, Absolut, Grand Marnier, and don't forget the 70+ tequilas in the tequila bar.

Entertainment: There is a variety of things to do throughout the day, including rock climbing, water aerobics, fruit carving, volleyball, etc. The entertainment team is great, but they aren't pushy. If you prefer to lay in your chair and be a slug (which I highly recommend), they will leave you to it. Be sure to take a trip into town. It's completely safe and there is lots of great art and people watching to experience along the Malecon. Venture a few streets up from the Malecon, though, to get better deals on souvenirs, art and jewelry. Some places will wheel and deal with you, other places are fixed pricing because they already offer the lowest prices possible. Oh yeah, and before you step into a cab to head back to Dreams be sure to confirm with the cab driver how much the ride is. It should be no more than 50 pesos.

The service was excellent and we found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. Honestly I don't see how anyone could have a bad time here. I hope that I'm able to book all of my future trips to Puerto Vallarta here at Dreams!

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

I spent a week at Dreams in Puerto Vallarta and have to say that it was among the very nicest places I have ever stayed.
We were in "the old tower" and although I had read some poor reviews about it here, our room was wonderful with a fabulous view. It was lovely to be able to leave the doors open a bit on the balcony and listen to the ocean outside as we fell asleep and woke up.
The service was nothing less than fantastic from the bellboys, to the front desk, service staff and everyone in between. Absolutely no detail was missed and it was obvious that everyone working there took pride in what they do.
The food was fantastic and not having to make reservations at the a la carte restaurants was a real treat. We never had to wait long for a table, but if we had, it would have been worth it for the food. Beautifully presented and tasted great.
The private beach was absolutely stunning. There were a few vendors around, but they were all very nice and didn't bother you if you said no thank you. We really enjoyed the beach and always finished the night off with a walk in the surf.
I recommend this hotel highly and would go back in a second. Thanks Dreams, for a great vacation!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

We just returned from our honeymoon at Dreams PV, 6 nights in a Junior Suite w/ Jacuzzi, fantastic room! Well stocked with bathroom amenities, minibar, and a small safe (this will not hold a laptop, or anything like it, but plenty of room for everything else). The two best things going for Dreams are the location and the staff. The secluded beach was fantastic, a handful of merchants and boats would be around during the day, but they did not hassle too much. The ocean/beach is very accessible and easy to swim in. They have three pools, the middle one features a swim up bar and has a more active atmosphere. There is an infinity pool near the club tower that was our favorite. The pool near the other tower looked nice, but was heavily shaded and cold most of our trip. All three have large hot tubs beside them. The resort grounds overall are well maintained and very beautiful.

There were no issues with claiming a beach or pool chair during our stay, but I do not think the resort was anywhere near full. Whether you blame the offseason, economy, or the swine flu outbreak the day we arrived, I don't know. On that note, we felt VERY safe at the resort and all over Puerto Vallarta as well. Even at night.

The resort staff EVERYWHERE was wonderful. Very friendly and accommodating. We had no issues with check-in, and they gave us a late 3PM checkout on our last day to match the flight. Lobby internet is free in the club tower, however the business center near the main desk charges a small fee. They offered us free wi-fi as well but we did not use it.

The main front desk offers currency conversion at competitive exchange rates, and there is an ATM machine near the lobby. The Apple representatives were fantastic at handling our airport transfers and booking tours for us. We booked directly through the hotel, however your airport pickup is still handled by Apple Vacations, look for them in the airport when you arrive. They did not tell me this over the phone, thankfully I asked about it before the trip. The Spa services were overpriced in my opinion, however it is well done. We both had a massage.

We thought all five of the restaurants were great, even room service was quick (< 30 min every time) and the food was pretty good. We had no issues with illness the entire week. The breakfast buffet at World Cafe has a great selection and high quality, however the lunch / dinner buffets were not as impressive.

As other people have said, this is not a nightlife resort. However downtown is around the corner and a 50 peso cab ride if necessary. The last nightly activity there would start around 9PM or so. They do offer a varied selection of activities during the day, beginning around 10AM and on. We did the rock climbing and jungle trek for examples.

They have a constant supply of taxis on hand to take you anywhere in the city, the rates are posted up front by zone, and we never had any issue. It is a gated resort that takes your information when leaving/returning by cab.

Overall it was a great vacation and I was very sad to leave. I would suggest Dreams mainly for couples, it did not seem like a great place to be single. There were some families with children as well, but I cannot give any opinion on that. This was our first international trip, and it was incredibly smooth and enjoyable. I hope we can return soon.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

I just returned from my week stay at Dreams Puerto Vallarta and I thought it was amazing. The service is absolutely incredible. Ramon, the server around the pool rocked! He was the most gracious fellow. I was always with a drink. The food was extremely good with wonderful presentation. I took picture of it and thought I looked a bit strange in doing so, but it was very beautiful. Good variety of menu choices too and I picked mostly seafood and steak.

The beach was great for swimming and loved watching the manta rays jump out of the water. The beach was raked every morning and the cleaning staff did a fabulous job. Lots of beach chairs and palapas to chose from and the sunsets was gorgeous.

Every night was a different theme like most all-inclusives and the staff did a great job every night. The resort's entertainment does shut down early and I would not recommend this resort to singles who want to party all night. Stay somewhere else cause you wouldn't be happy there. The swim up bar was great and the bars on the beach were very convenient.

Our room was very nice and large. Typical room and a nicely stocked minibar. If you ran out, you could call room service for more. And the 24 hr room service was a nice thing to have too!

So all in all, a great trip, Great staff, clean beach, nice water, amazing food, great weather and was everything we could have asked for!

MVLUN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

Most of the staff were wonderful. The property is fine except not much to do. It is nice for a 3-4 day stay. The food was good, however, my husband and I enjoy drinks which is of higher quality. Not sure what the drinks had, but I had 4 shots of tequilla and 2 margaritas but I did not feel anything. When we went downtown, and had drinks, I felt the very first one and so on. Not sure if I will bring my kids either. I think it depends on the season. We went on a school week, and it's more party goers.

We stayed in the preferred tower and had a suite. Our room had a plunge pool which I refuse to go into. It needed some cleaning, and it is very small so don't expect too much. The room itself is very modern. I love the view. It's nice to wake up in the morning and see the mountain and the beach at the same time. I thank the front desk for that.

It's a nice property, but I am not a all-inclusive hotel goer. The gym needed a major equipment upgrade since the beach is not long enough for someone who likes to work out, There was one tv which I couldn't hear nor see from the elliptical or treadmill. The music was fine, and the room was hot. I like having my own tv when I work out to keep me from boredom.

We went downtown to shop, but didn't buy anything. The La Palapa restaurant is a must try but pricier. I enjoyed the cadillac margarita, and the appetizers. You must definitely try Cafe Del Oro for dinner. (try their seafood special,.)

Above all, it was a pleasant trip, and it's a place I will only stay at once.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!