“Beautiful property!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Beautiful property!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We travelled here with my husbands family for his sisters wedding. The location is incredible!
Gorgeous setting and landscape! We were pleasantly surprised with a room on the 16th floor and the view from that height was spectacular! We were traveling with our 8 yr old, and 3 mo old daughters and we all had a great time. There was a fun trampoline for the kids on the beach that our oldest loved. The trip and wedding were planned for us by Marcie at Beach Bum Vacation! I highly recommend her!! She had planned our wedding as well and we were happy to work with her again! Service was excellent. Loved all of the pools! Loved the restaurants!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We just came back to from Dreams on April 29th, 2014 and my wife and I were one of the very last to enjoy what was Dreams Resort and Spa. I absolutely loved this place and have been there 3 times with all of the same results. Excellent all the way around but most importantly the people that all worked there. All of the staff are wonderful to the extreme and am sad that they are been broken up as a result of the Hyatt chain obtaining the rights to fly their colours at Dreams.We were told that there are going to be renovations/upgrades and some demolition at the site and that they will reopen December 1, 2014. I am hopeful that the character of this hotel will remain when it is reopened but somehow I have a feeling that it won't. If the folks from the Hyatt are listening please do not do radical changes and ruin this wonderful hotel.

Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I thought my visit of two weeks back in January/2014 was the last, but a few newly made friends were returning April 3-10 & convinced me to join them, & I'm so glad I did. Yes, it was putting off the inevitable, but one last visit indeed was in order. From the time I arrived, to the time I left, everything was it's wonderful self. I cannot say enough about Dreams, PV, except that it was my most favourite vacation spot hands-down! I don't know what I'm going to do now that Dreams will close very very shortly (April 30). My worry is for the staff, they likely won't have jobs for another 6 months if they wait to join the Hyatt. The staff was as professional & friendly as ever...some meeting me with a big hug, as I have vacationed there several years, & they certainly remembered me. It wasn't an act, but a genuine 'welcome'.
I can't say enough about Bethy, Gregorio, Jose Guerra, Samuel, Luisa, Miguel (Swim up Bar) Salazar, Ramon, Eduardo, Leonora, etc.etc. Forgive me if I've missed anyone, as it's very hard to remember everyone. The food was as delicious as always, & of course, the service was second-to-none. They can't do enough for you, & always respond with "it's a pleasure".
To Tony, Christian, Oscar & everyone with the Entertainment Team..you guys are awesome. Thanks for joining us for lunch a few times.
My last day April 10 was rather sad, because very likely there will be a lot of staff I may not see again..but a few have promised to keep in touch via email. I do hope they're good for their promise. I know I will be. It truly isn't my plan (at this point in time) to go to the Hyatt simply because it won't be DREAMS, & likely most of the Dreams staff won't be there. I may visit the sister chain, but not sure at the moment. Hyatt, if you're reading this review along with others,
believe me you would do very well to hire the staff.
The day I left, I was in tears. Leaving was like saying goodbye to family. If any of you out there didn't have the opportunity to vacation at Dreams, PV; then I can honestly tell you, you missed out! Some have written a bad review, blaming the resort on the jellyfish in the ocean, or a screaming child in the World Cafe. This doesn't have anything to do with the resort...they can't control what's in the ocean, or a screaming child whose parents don't do anything about it. That sort of criticism is NOT fair!!! I'm not saying Dreams was perfect..nothing is...but I can tell you, it wasn't far off!!!!
To all my lovely friends..no ...extended family at Dreams, I wish you all the very best for the future.I shall sorely miss you. They say that when one door closes, another door opens.
My "Dream(s)" will never die...Via Condios!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Invermere, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We were here for my daughters wedding. We are some of the last guests at Dreams Puerto Vallarta before it closes on April 30th. It will come back sometime as a Hyatt something or other. This has been the best vacation experience we have had at an all inclusive or pretty much anywhere. Service, quality of everthing and friendliness of staff has been exceptional. Even with pending unemployment for most in a few short days the staff have been amazing. There are so many staff members to thank it would be unfair to name a few. I can only say Hyatt would be well served to bring these people back and give them a raise when this wonderful resort re-opens. Thank you for so much

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Dreams in PV twice. It was the best!!! We were planning on going back for our 50th birthdays, which is next year, but alas it wasn't to be. The rooms, staff and service is next to none. We had our favorite staff members like Jose, Miguel, Norma, Victor and most of all Luisa. The food was always fantastic, especially the steak at Seaside Grill. We are very sad that the resort won't be a Dreams and we will miss everyone there. I can't say enough good things about this Dreams. So sad to say goodbye.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
West Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We visited this resort 4 years ago, and it was PERFECT. We also stayed in the DREAMS PUERTO AVENTURA 2 years ago....but prefered the Puerto Vallarta one , as it had many quant details.. robes and slipper,inscents burning (nice) red hybicus flowers everywhere even in the ashtrays by the elevator and around the pond in the entrance..GONE none of that was there this time. Check in was a shock ..(we had booked our trip through a travel agent and had paid for a smoking room) but when we arrived Laura at the front desk told my husband and I we couldn't smoke in the room... BUT we could UP-GRADE for only $300.00... ouch!!! and that we could apply some of our credit coupon toward this... we still had to pay and extra $140.00 US. I was upset to say the least. Then we found out by talking to other guest we saw smoking, NONE of them were charged extra, we could see them smoking in the windows from down on the pool deck. In the past we have never had to pay this charge in fact we were always UP-GRADED as we are repeat guests. Room #1825 was wonderful and over looked all the pools and the beach. Our bed faced the ocean and we could see and hear the waves all day and night.. love it! The bed was a dream just like sleeping on a cloud.. in fact when we came back home we went and bought pillows like the resorts ahhhh!
Many of the same staff were there from 4 years ago, and the remembered us. As did some the beach vendors..Izzy is our favorite . We would like to thank David from well... he was working in 3 of the restaurants he treated us like old time friends and was excellente. Mirium our housekeeper was a doll... super friendly and we practied our english and spanish together... and could understand each other most of the time. Victor ans Salazar(Salavdor?) from the beach palapa area and bar were so friendly and we were never without refreshments .they suggested many different types of drinks ..they were all amazing. Lucy from the lobby and Antonio.... Antonio from westjet also... and Luis..(LUCY ) from the quiet pool was our waitress ... and an especial thank you to Esequial from the front lobby... so sorry that we missed you the last day..just like the first trip and then this trip you we really like an old friend.. We wish good luck to all the staff that make this resort so special, we hope you all find great jobs and hope to see you again at another Dreams Resort.
We enjoyed all the food at every restaurant with exception to the Mexican Patio... the food was mediocre and the chair were the most uncomfortalbe I have ever sat in . Seaside and Oceana were our favorites fabulous meals and many yummy appies.
I will be writing to the head office with requarding the extra charge for a smoking room, as I feel it is not fair to charge som people and not others... It has left a bad taste.. and a bad memory.
Do not get involved with the Hotel time share seminars... they say it is not a time share ... it is. we were told that if we spent just 90 mins listening to the news about some of the other resorts that we would get a free $300.00 couples massage... and there would be no pressure to buy anything... WELL let me tell you after 2 1/2 of trying to get away from Louis.. and wanting to go for lunch.. ( he insisted that we return in 1 hour after lunch), I was fed up and getting pissed off. We both have health issues and wanted to talk thinks over.. in fact I was in terrible pain from having to sit there for sooooo long and he could see I needed to go ly down.. he didn't care and then after 2 more people sat down (we had to do an exit interview to get the free massage) and they were even MORE PRESSURE!!!! Holy crap.. I finally stood up and freaked out.. "I am done!!!" I was pissed off now... All in all we spent 3 hours of wasted time.. Another thing, the fellow that was talking to us Louis, stated to us that nowhere besides Mexico was there ALL-Incluivse..that was a lie... there are All- Inclusive all over the world... that madeus want to leave right there and then.
We will look into other Dreams Resort in the future... we seem to go every 2 years...but making sure our rooms are no charged extra... Let's see if Head Office are going to refund that charge,,,??? hummm

Adios

Room Tip: #1825 was awesome
LaSalle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We travelled to Dreams PV mid April 2014 and had no complaints. It was a nice option to be able to go go to what ever restaurant you wanted to attend that night, without having to make reservations. The cruise ships are in port Tuesday-Thursday so we decided to do the Vallarta Adventures Marietas Eco Discovery on Sunday, it was a $12 cab ride to the marina, then a full day on the boat. You can snorkel, kayak, and paddelboard if you want. Lunch and drinks included. Monday we did a city/country tour that started at a ceramics pottery store, followed by a walking tour down town to the cathedral then a stop at a silver jewelry store, then an open road side market and finally a Tequila distillery, the Tequila tasting was great . We took a cab back into tourist district boardwalk for $6. Tuesday for a few more souvenirs, it really wasn't all that busy with the added cruise people. Wed, tried my hand at the kayak fishing, they give you a bag of frozen shrimp to use as bait. After 1+1/2 hours I had fed the fish about 6 shrimp and called it quits, some bites but no lunch for me. Thursday I joined the jungle tour which is a walk up the river bed that is in the middle of the resort between the washrooms and the activity desk. It again was about 1+1/2 hour trek and you do go over some large boulders and cross a small stream a few times, jumping from rock to rock. It is best to have hands free for balance, but I did have a camera in my pocket. We never did get our feet wet, but we didn't wade through the small pond of water at the end of the tour to see the larger water fall at the end, it was a good hike, be prepared to sweat. Later on I tried snorkelling in front of the resort, I started at the rock out cropping on the left and tried swimming around the rocks but with the waves coming in I didn't want to get washed up on the rocks so kept my distance a bit, visibility was poor. I also tried snorkelling around the rock out croppings on the right, but same thing, rolling waves and poor visibility. Over all I saw a small school of silver colour fish, a fair size yellow snapper and 2 small sand coloured sting-rays. If you are into snorkelling there is not much to see here, also apparently we caught the tail end of the jelly fish season, the beginning of the week there was a lot of them out front, but by the end of the week they were pretty much gone.
Thoroughly enjoyed the grouper, sea bass and Mahi Mahi and some of the best Fillet Mignon I have had in Mexico. Couldn't complain about the drinks and the view from our room was beautiful. Over all we had a great time and would recommend to most, although there are a lot of stairs and it might not be the best place if you have limited mobility.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have a better view and I did sit out on the balcony a few times but I don't kno...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!