“Amazing Week!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Vancouver
“Amazing Week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is a very late review but have to share given we've just returned from another resort and all I could do was compare to Dreams.

I'll keep this one short but - we went in February for a wedding and unfortunately my Hubby couldn't go so it was me as a single and 40 family and friends of the (young) wedding party.

Service was incredibly attentive, the food was beautifully prepared both at the buffet and restaurants (have the chicken at the Italian!!) , the drinks were perfect (and remembered by each bar tender) and my room was large, airy, clean and very comfortable (best bed I've slept in away from home)

We had the most incredible beach service I've ever had (Ismael was like an angel in the morning with those Caesars!)

Only downsides were the ocean being what felt like black flag conditions the entire week - really unwelcoming - my Mum actually got bashed up very badly and had some serious damage but the Doctor was great (for $50 cash) and fixed her up best as he could and the pools were underwhelming for such a great resort.

Other than that, this was an amazing "boutique" resort well worth going to.

Room Tip: If you're over the bar pool you will have some noise at night - ask to be switched to the far en...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
Alton, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I recently got back from Dreams and couldn't have enjoyed our stay more. Both towers are nice, we stayed in the Dreams Tower one night and upgraded to the preferred tower(you can use your resort coupons towards the cost, totally worth the little money to upgrade). We encountered no problems all week. This resort offers lots of activities such as a jungle trek, rock climbing, and a turtle release program. We ate at all the restaurants and loved El Patio and Portofino the most. All employees tried their hardest to make our stay great. The fire show was also very well done and is a must see. We have been to several all-inclusives and this resort offers so much more than many we have been to. Definitely will visit again in the future!

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better view of the ocean.
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

All-inclusive resorts aren't my normal type of vacation, so I wasn't too sure what to expect. All I can say is the level of service and attention to detail were excellent. We tried all the restaurants and buffet and loved them all, but the best by far was Portofino. We stayed in the new tower where Sergio took great care of us in the little 'lobby bar', and our beach waiter/bar-tender Salazar, was the hardest working man in the place and was always on the spot with drinks. Rooms were amazing, views were amazing and I loved how secluded and 'old Mexico' the resort was. Can't wait for my next trip back!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to be good. I'd probably avoid one on the ground floor if possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Puerto Vallarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Dreams made our honeymoon the most memorable trip wonderful. Their hospitality is second to none. We have no complaints and would recommend dreams to anyone. We plan to visit one again, hopefully soon:)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Pleasant Hill, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Everything was amazing from the staff, resort, private beach, activities, food, etc. The restaurant Portofino was absolutely amazing - you must try the vegetarian ravioli's! We will go back here for sure in the future.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The week my husband and I spent at Dreams Puerto Vallarta was simply phenomenal. We arrived at the resort in the afternoon of September 24th after a surprisingly pleasant transition through the PVR airport. We were greeted at our taxi with a "Welcome Home" and were ushered to the front desk in the company of mimosas and cold towels. Our check-in was friendly, efficient and accurate.

After a long day of travelling, we weren't listening to instructions very well and as we wandered off in the general direction of where we thought we'd find the elevators, we were greeted by one of the most excellent features of this resort: The other guests. A guy pushing a baby stroller saw us looking confused and asked with a huge smile, "Are you looking for the elevators? They're right down the path." He walked with us and chatted about where we were from and where we might have dinner. If it hadn't been for the baby stroller, I would have thought he worked there. Throughout the week, we found this to be a commonality among many of the guests. The guests LOVE this resort! They love talking about it with each other; they love sharing insights and raves about the staff and the food and the service, and they love helping the next batch of incoming guests get acclimated. We didn't encounter a single guest who had a single negative comment to share about their experience during the week we were there. In fact, we were amazed by how many people we met who were repeat guests.

We chatted with another couple on the beach one day who appeared to be well traveled, sophisticated folks. The gentleman said, "We haven't had a bad meal whole time we've been here." It's just the sort of place where if you find excessive fault, you must be terribly high-maintenance (an possibly terribly unhappy). We definitely agree with the statement about the food. It was the best AI food we've had and it was wonderful not having to make reservations or wear bracelets. I can't imagine how Dreams manages that during the busier seasons, but I'm sure they do it well.

We stayed in the Dreams (aka "old") Tower and it was great. It was clean and modern, maintained twice a day, and the minibar was restocked daily. Also, the bed in our room was hands-down the most comfortable bed I have EVER slept on (including my own sleep-number bed at home). Those of you who have stayed at other resorts in Mexico, probably think that is a crazy and impossible statement (aren't all beds in Mexican resorts made of concrete?), but it was absolutely true for me.

We'd never stayed on the Pacific side of Mexico before, and I was a little wary of giving up the powdery snow-sand of the Caribbean, but the beach was spectacular. It was private and meticulously maintained. It was definitely in the heart of the "slow" season so we were always able to find chairs with a table and umbrella. There were vendors who passed by continuously throughout the day selling dresses, paintings, sunglasses, blankets, jewelry, etc. They would approach, offering their wares and we would smile and reply "No, gracias," and they would smile and continue on. No hassle at all. The ocean water was just cool enough to be refreshing when the sun got too hot. Sometimes the surf got active enough for us to make good use of boogie boards and other times, we swam out to the water trampoline and climbing iceberg to play for a while.

Most days we spent at the end of the beach towards the Oceana restaurant by the Marlin Bar (off the elevators facing the ocean and to the right). It was quiet and we got to know Ramon and Victor (bartenders) over the course of the week. Victor introduced us to the "Paloma" a delicious cocktail that is like a margarita without being as sickeningly sweet. Tequila, lime juce, Fresca, and a salted rim...mmmm! In fact, I am drinking one right now as I write this. :)

Speaking of tequila, one afternoon we attended a tequila tasting just outside the World Cafe hosted by Crispin (one of our favorite bartenders) and Christian. It started out with a pretty well-lubed crowd who were clearly anticipating a shots free-for-all. Christian from the entertainment team did a masterful job of reigning them in and making it clear that this was a "let's learn about tequila" event. It was fascinating to see the way he earned the respect of the rowdy crowd. Everyone simmered down and behaved...and then were rewarded with some outstanding tastes of Tequila! Afterwards, I approached Christian, having read so many of his praises here on TA and introduced myself. He is an absolute treasure, sincerely concerned about the comfort and well-being of every guest. He made our stay that much more special, just by treating us like "friends".

We enjoyed the nightly entertainment immensely. I would guess that the resort was at about 30-40% capacity most nights so the audiences were on the small side, but the performers performed as though they were performing at an arena. The costumes and dancers were excellent (we were amazed by how much choreography they had to memorize). We are also suckers for magic shows, so we really liked Peter Samelson, the magician - he did a great job involving with the audience (especially the kids). Again, the guests really banded together and made his shows even more fun.

There are only a couple of areas where I could offer some suggestions for improvement. Firstly, the lobby bar is the main pre/post dinner/show venue and it's lovely. They have a six page menu of different cocktails and martinis. I was a little bit disappointed when the first three cocktails that I tried to order were "unavailable" - and remained unavailable all week. One involved cucumber, one involved ginger, and one was a cajun something or other. It was NOT a big deal...there were ample other choices...just be aware that not everything on the menu is available.

Secondly, the Desires "Sports Bar" is definitely the most under-utilized venue on the property. I'm not sure what they could do to improve it, but it seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. It's a little tricky to find and isn't promoted (apart from Karaoke Night). It's labeled a sports bar, but as one guest mentioned to us, they went in one night to see about catching a game score and there weren't any TV's on. It's a great venue with great potential, and it's the only venue open on the property until 2 am. We did enjoy Carlos, who was the bartender while we were there, but it made me sad to see guests kind of wander in and see that nothing was happening and then wander out never to return. It could be a disco, it could be a sports bar; it just needs to full-on "be" whatever it is.

Well, this turned into more of a book than I intended, but hopefully it's helpful. All in all, it was a week we'll never forget.

Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband and I went on a long awaited vacation on 9/21-9/28. Upon leaving our taxi we were met with mimosa's and a cool towel. And, it just got better from there.
The staff is attentive and always very helpful and polite. Our concierge was Veronica and she helped me out with a little accident I had and was always very friendly. The hotel doctor was also very good and took great care of me.
The rooms were clean and decorated nicely and the view from our room was beautiful. Room service was excellent and the food in the restaurants were very good.
We have decided we will be making this a yearly trip.
By the way, service by the pool and on the beach was also excellent. Salazar was also there and remembered what everybody was drinking.
Can't' wait tell next year!

Room Tip: I loved the preferred tower.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!