“Dreams come true vacation at Dreams Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Jose, California
“Dreams come true vacation at Dreams Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We are family of five with three boys 20, 13 and 8 from San Francisco Bay Area. We stayed in this resort August 6 – August 13th and had a very good experience overall. We have been traveled mostly to Cancun Area/Rivera Maya and stayed in Iberostar, Barcelo Colonial Beach, H10 Resorts. We’ve been once in Nuevo Vallarta (Riu ) and did not like it at all so as the sea was not beautiful comparing to Caribbean Side. However, Dreams’ location was so different from all Puerto Vallarta/Nuevo Vallarta Resorts Area and provided us with great substitution for our Caribbean trips. Now we even do not feel any need to fly that far any more. We voted Dreams as our main destination for all inclusive beach vacation.
We actually would give this resort Rating based on the following:
-Located in Romantic zone, Squeezed between mountains on private beach, $5/5 minutes taxi ride to town of Puerto Vallarta
- Just spectacular views from both of our room on 11th and 7th floor; and not just for the ocean but the cliffs, mountains and cascading villas on the sides. In all my previous destinations I never could afford such ocean view/ocean front rooms – and in this resort – all rooms are like that!
- Very clean and white sand beach, almost rock free, beautiful turquoise color swimable ocean; plenty of beach chairs and shades. We spend a lot of time swimming in the sea, and the view from the ocean towards the grounds was magnificent as well!
- No All-Inclusive Bracelets, No Reservation needed for The 4 À la Carte restaurants, and they open not just for dinner but for breakfast and lunch as well – and you can attend any of 4 Restaurants as many times as you like!!! The food was great. We never experienced a line or even waiting for the table to be seated. Our favorite restaurant was Seaside Grill – Great Steaks and Spectacular Sunset View. For Breakfast we loved Oceana. We used buffet mostly only for quick meals; however, the food there was very good and a lot of choices too.
- Plenty of all day activities that also were very unique for this Resort – Jungle track (hiking tours every morning to the water fall), Fishing Kayak tours, Laser Tag, Natural Cliff Climbing, and the most amazing – Turtle Release program that we were lucky to participate. My boys played beach volleyball all day long and could make friends there. Shows were Ok – but nothing special (comparing to other places) For outside tours – our older boys went to Canopy River Jungle Adventure – ATV and Zip lines – they loved it and said that zip lines were much better than in Extreme Park, Cancun (felt much more dangerous and real for them). We also took private snorkeling tour – snorkeling was not good but sea shore excursion was pleasant. My 13 yrs old were allowed to ride a water scooter by himself – and he has never been that happy!
- ROOMS
We stayed in Dreams Tower. If it was only two of us I would definitely upgraded to Prefer Tower because it is more Romantic for couples. Dreams tower was mostly occupied by families with children; and the beach area next to that was more dedicated to families with kids that was extra convenient for us. Our Rooms were big enough, window - was patio sliding doors from the floor to the ceiling. We called our room – infinity room. Mattresses were new and extra comfortable; linen was luxury with duvet covers on the blankets. We could request our rooms to be cleaned at specific time that was very convenient too. They always restocked our room with 6 bottles of water and we could request more water if needed. One day we asked extra water for our trip and they brought us the whole pack! (You cannot get bottle water anywhere else, just in your room – so plan ahead for your trips). Elevators were fast and never get broken during our stay!

Some Cons:
- The lack of family lounges. It was no space to gather in the night time with children, especially during rain. Our boys were old enough to stay late and we do have two hour difference in time with San Francisco. It was only one lounge with bar next to the lobby but kids were not allowed there after 9pm (7pm in our local time); we were asked to leave this lounge on our first evening that sounded very offended. I am sure that all couples without kids would love it; but we are on vacation too and need some space to have at least some family friendly night life! No dancing or family disco time in the resort either.
- In general Entrainment team was missing a spirit (in our boys opinion), not that exciting and involved as they experienced in some other places.
- Pools are really small and have to be re-built and upgraded (Well, it is an old property on the best location) Sea was so perfect during our stay that we never needed to use a pool; but if it was stormy …..? However one positive side of that – our kids finally start swimming in the sea instead of the pools (like in all other resorts we stayed where pools were lake size)

Overall we still give this resort 5 star rating for the everything else we mentioned above!!! And it is only place we really already planning to go back next year!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was our 1st trip to Puerto Vallarta and we enjoyed our stay. We stayed the 1st week of July and had a flight delay which caused us to arrive later than expected. Also after a crazy cab ride from the airport, I arrived feeling less than 100%.
Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted with a glass of sparkling wine. I had prearranged a corner room for an additional fee via email and during the check in process, they had no record of such arrangements. Feeling too tired to discuss it any further, we just took the room they already booked us. Unfortunately, then it was off to meet another person who starts telling you about the excursions and extras you can do through the hotel. I really wish they would approach guests with this info AFTER checking in. When you're traveling for hours and hours, all you want to do is get to your room and relax. When we finally get to our room, we were pleasantly surprised! I don't think there is a bad room on the entire property - they all face the beautiful pacific and we happened to be 1 floor below the top. It was breath taking!
During the week, the staff couldn't be any more helpful or friendlier. We did have one instance when a large group foreign to Mexico arrived - I mean probably close to 100 - and one day they had a boom box/stereo out on the beach blasting their own music. That music clashing with the music provided by the hotel made for a noisy and annoying day at the beach. I couldn't even hear my husband speaking to me in the chair next to mine & the music was coming from 5 palapas/umbrellas away. When we asked the beach server if he would please ask them to turn it down, he said he couldn't. That made absolutely zero sense to me. That kind of put a damper on the rest of day, luckily it was towards the end of our stay.
The restaurants were all great, we really enjoyed breakfast at Oceana every morning as it was a bit less busy than the buffet. The beach service was hit & miss, depending on the server as some were more helpful than others. The Mexican and Italian restaurants were really good. The spa was ok, a bit overpriced compared to some of the spas they have here in Las Vegas. I suggest maybe going into town to a day spa, save the $ for excursions or tipping. We went into town a couple of times to try different restaurants we had read about - it was easy to grab an inexpensive cab at the hotel.
All in all, it was a great week in Puerto Vallarta. We look forward to coming back and staying in a smaller boutique hotel as that is more our style. If you are looking for a great resort, AI, great food and friendly service, you can't beat Dreams Puerto Vallarta.

Cold Lake, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We just returned from a one week vacation at the Dreams. (Aug. 2 - 9) My husband and I traveled with another couple. We really enjoyed our trip. This has been our 8th trip to Mexico and this is one of the best resorts that we have stayed at. The staff is fantastic and we were truly treated like kings and queens. We did not have to wear a resort bracelet and there are no towel cards. There was never a problem getting chairs, as there are plenty for everyone. The beach is clean and the water was great. There is always plenty of activities for everyone. One thing that we found out when we arrived is that we had free golf at two of the golf courses (La Vista and the Marina). My husband golfed three times during our week stay. The chief concierge books the tee times for you. I would suggest to golf in the early morning as it gets hot by 11:00 a.m. We stayed in the Dreams Tower and we were very satisfied -no need to upgrade to the Preferred Tower. Our room was spacious and had a great view of the ocean. I would recommend to stay on the 4th floor or higher.
The 4 À la Carte restaurants were terrific and the buffet always had a theme night. For the à la carte restaurants you did not need to reserve -just show up -never a problem!
We would definitely return.
Favourite drinks of ours were the Arnold Palmer and the Dirty Monkey!

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

At this price point Dreams Puerto Vallarta is as perfect a location as it gets.
I can find small things to complain about and others to commend, I see no point in going through these with a fine tooth comb.
The resort gets great reviews, now I know why: a great location but the principle reason is every single member of the team goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and ensure guests have a great vacation. The only issue I had was nominating one single member of the team for recommendation as they all did a wonderful job!
I don't typically return to the same location, but on this occasion I would seriously consider a return visit. My recommendations don't come higher than this...

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just returned from one week at Dreams last night August 4-11. Upon arrival, most of my family was disappointed. Dreams does not have one of those wow lobbies we have grown accustomed to at other resorts around Mexico. Second disappointment was when we were told they did not have adjoining rooms for us that I, as well as my travel agent, requested. We had booked the older tower, but they did have adjoining rooms in the preferred tower, which we took, but it cost us an extra $500 per room. Admittedly, I was happy with the upgrade, but felt they should have discounted it more since we had made our reservations well in advance. I probably should have made more of a fuss, but I was tired from a long plane ride. They immediately tried to sell us a timeshare, but wouldn't call it a timeshare. I simply stated that it was ridiculous to try and sell us something we had not yet experienced and I just wanted to proceed to our upgraded expensive rooms. That is where the disappointment ended. The rooms were fantastic and the view was spectacular. I did use the jacuzzi on the balcony on several occasions and it was shear heaven after a day at the beach. Speaking of the beach, it was perfect. Plenty of chairs and palapas without having to rise at six a.m. to get one. This was a welcome surprise. Towels ready by the door leading to the beach, no towel cards and no lines!! This was starting to feel like a vacation. Main pool was crowded and small, so no interest in going there. The adult pool was nice, but also crowded on most days. But since I was there for the beach and not the pools, it didn't bother me. Weather was HOT, wear your sandals to the shore line, otherwise your feet will burn. Another unexpected perk was no dinner reservations required, that was my favorite of all. I have stood on those reservation lines at other resorts right after or before breakfast and have always been disappointed that most were taken and I had to choose between six and ten p.m. and wound up eating in the buffet most nights. To be able to stay on the beach for as long as I wanted, leisurely get ready for dinner and then decide where we wanted to eat was pure heaven.

Speaking of restaurants, they were all good, not fantastic. Although I will say they do have some of the best food I have had at an all inclusive, excluding the Paradisus in Costa Rica and the Riu in Cabo. I disagree with other reviewers who said room service was good, I didn't think so. However, their hospitality, smiles and genuine pleasure at serving you was always evident and more than made up for it. The service here is outstanding. I do have to say that Fausto from the Seaside Grill makes the best coconut shrimp I have ever had. It is not on the menu, but ask for it, he will make it special. Love him!!

Again, it is worth repeating, service is amazing. The staff works very hard and always has a friendly smile, I tipped everyone, every day. They deserved it. We never did see a show, didn't know where it was half the time, never on the beach, probably because it is rainy season. Yes, it did rain several times, but mostly at night, except for one morning when we booked an excursion, more about that later. I never slept better in my life. Beds were better than at home with plenty of pillows and always appreciated the turn down service. As far as entertainment, I never did see the entertainment staff. I guess you had to be by the main pool, they never left there. That is where this resort fell short in my opinion. At other resorts, such as Iberostar, the entertainment staff was everywhere, which I always enjoyed, not so here. Dreams should really turn their sports bar into a club, my 21 year old son and his girlfriend would have liked it, as well as other people their age who were always looking for something to do at night and didn't always want to travel to town.

Excursions. We did two, both thru Puerta Vallarta Adventures. The first was ziplining, which was fun, and scary, but the staff was a blast. The superman zipline truly made you feel like you were flying across the sky....at 60 mph, not kidding. The only thing that bothered me is when you were done it was kind of like coming off a rollercoaster ride and being dumped in the gift shop. There was a photographer assigned to every group and he took amazing pictures, you were not alllowed to take your own camera, like we did in Costa Rica. Unfortunately, they do not let you buy a couple of pictures, you had to buy the entire package, and it was expensive. I didn't like that. They should give you the option. Secondly, we booked Las Caletas, which is supposed to be a beautiful beach, there was a strip of sand, no beach. It was raining hard the morning we went, very hard. But there was no refund or postponement allowed. We had to go. They put us in a rubber boat, with no protection and we got soaked and there was thunder and lightning. Really???? They promised rain slickers, but didn't have enough for everyone. When we reached Las Caletas, we were soaked and clearly did not have dry towels. Although lunch was good, no one in my family enjoyed themselves. They should not have sent us by that damn boat. The rain was not their fault, but caution if you plan to go, check the weather first!!!! Waste of time and money. Take the boat from the marina, do not go to another hotel and take the boat, unless it is sunny.

The guys on the beach were very nice and we did go on the banana boat (extra), jet skis (extra) and a snorkeling trip out to the rocks (extra). The only trouble we had was with the jet skis. They told us to drive out to the rocks and come back, which we did. But when we got back, they said we went overtime and wanted more money. I fought them on this because we did what we were told and no more. If it took us longer because we didn't drive at 50 mph, that was not our fault, no one said we had to drive at a certain speed. The guy eventually came up to me and apologized, which was only right. Do not get suckered in!!! I stood up for what was right and fair and I'm glad I did.

All in all, it was a great trip. Would I go back? Absolutely. That is the true marker of any successful vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 2052/2053 in preferred tower. It was fabulous.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Parker, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Amazing! Hotel and service was wonderful, ALL staff members said hi with a smile...VERY welcoming. The food was incredible. We ate at the Seaside restaurant a few times and our waiter went above and beyond to realize it was our last night there and made us strawberries and cream with a special message written in chocolate saying “Have a nice trip.” It wasn’t just that restaurant, ALL the wait staff were so nice and helpful…they were genuine. The beach was AWESOME…they take pride in it as they are grooming it at 7am every morning. The ocean was warm…we even went and bought some snorkel gear as there are fish that swim all around you. We saw 3 sting ray’s swimming together which was very cool. We went fishing with the kayak’s a couple mornings. I have to say the turtle experience was a HIGHLITE for me. We asked if they would call our room at nite when they knew the mama turtle was on shore laying her eggs so we could see and they did. Then we were there for a baby turtle release…WOW such an AWESOME experience. The really cool part was the following day talking with one of the people that works with the turtles. He educated us by showing us the eggs (they are the size of a ping pong ball) and letting us hold them and showed us how he buries them and after 45 day he unburies the babies. My husband was hooked on volleyball as I was to the pool. So many activities to choose from and the evening shows were great. We did 3 of the adventure tours and took a taxi to the Barceló Hotel to catch a speed boat to Dolphin Adventure one day (another AWESOME experience). Then another day we took a taxi to the Marina for the Sea Safari (we rode a speed boat to a village then did a horseback ride to these beautiful waterfalls then back in the boat to go snorkeling followed by stopping by a private beach for a wonderful lunch just dreamy). Then our final tour we took a taxi back to the Marina to get on a boat to a secluded cove for Rhythms Of The Night (WOW…we didn’t even mind it was raining so hard once we arrived, they sat us down to eat a great dinner…we watched the fireflies dance around in the trees while we ate by candlelight. Then the show started…what an unforgettable evening). We can’t wait to go back…maybe for whale season as we heard that is an incredible site and the weather isn’t so hot and feeling like your melting. I can’t say enough nice things about this place. Oh one last thing…room service’s bacon cheese burger with fries and cheese cake for dessert was sooo yummy! :p

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Good
---Overly Friendly & Accommodating Staff
---Location (Only about 25 minutes from hotel by taxi. Get a cab from the airport shouldn't cost more than $25. They are located toward the door as you exit).
---Breakfast at Any restaurant
---The Views (Every room has a balcony with an ocean view).
---Overall Experience
---Baby Turtle Release

Needs Improvement
---No Free Wi-fi (At an all-inclusive resort, this should be included, bottom line. They nickel and dime you here for Internet usage).
---Rooms need updating (out of date, need major renovation ASAP)
---More Alcohol in the drinks (drinks tended to be very watered down)
---Staff was too pushy when trying to sell us on a time-share (Concierge even called our room while we napped after we'd already said no. In addition, every day, she "accidentally" bumped into us and continued to push. It was very awkward).
---El Patio Mexican Restaurant was by far the worst meal I've eaten in years. I don't know how they could possibly manage to destroy chips and salsa, but they did.

Suggestions:
---Bring some DVDs from home (Hotel has a free rental system, but most of the movies are old and you've likely seen them.)
---Bring earplugs (There were loud children running around the hallways early in the morning. Parents did not keep them quiet).
---Hotel should add quiet hours signs in the hallways so that guests do not disturb others

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!