“A real getaway!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
“A real getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Family vacation from June 15-22.
Did not pay too much since rainy season begins at the end of the month. Some gray skies, overcast once in a while, rained twice but still PLENTY OF SUNSHINE!
Breakfast at world cafe was always the best meal of the day! And you must make an effort to at least try all the ala carte restaurants.
Staff were very friendly and I cant say enough about the Entertainment team!
They go over and above to make your stay a pleasant one without ever leaving the resort! Freddy and The "rock climbing guy" were my favourite!

My only complaint is that the Pools could use some cleaning throughout the day! They aren't like the big ones I'm used to having been to resorts in the Mayan Riviera..they are smaller and I think would benefit from more frequent cleanings.

That main pool and Barracuda swim up bar itself got pretty dirty and my mom even got stung by a bee because of all syrup they were attracted to? ..She's terrified of them but good thing she wasnt allergic.. Lots of bees! Hopefully they can do something about that..
Anyways they weren't kidding about "every room is ocean view"! Stayed in the older tower but room was still decent and cleaned twice a day!(morning and turn down service)
The private beach front was perfect! Few solicitors who were friendly and never pushy.

If you are in Puerto Vallarta this Resort is the one to go to!

• Stayed June 2013

4,182 people have reviewed this hotel

1977
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (798)
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This was our first time at an all inclusive resort. It was a very luxurious experience compared to my other travels. Basically, there motto was “If it’s taking a while, please let us fill your glass”. It took a while to receive food and room service, but in the mean time they would refill your wine frequently and stock our mini fridge. It was not something that upset us. The food had smaller portions but I think this is to reduce waste. I personally, liked the smaller portions. It allowed me to try an appetizer, main and dessert without feeling too gluttonous. The buffet was good. I would say on the same level as a cruise buffet. They had lots of actives to do/try. The drinks were great. We saw reviews about the bars getting crowded but we did not have this problem. We could handle the 5 minute wait. The room was spacious and had a great view. It was very easy to just stay at the resort all day. They had local boats come to shore and offer excursions to the dive/snorkel sites. We booked from a dive shop in town. It ended up being more hassle. Getting to town from the resort is about $18 USD round trip. The taxi took us to the wrong pier even though we asked for the dive shop. Which leads to the only problem we had…getting to town. We heard there was a shuttle that was only $6.50 USD; there was none. It was difficult getting to local bus routes so we had to rely on taxis. But since it is more south it is closer to the botanical gardens and the zoo. If you want to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city then I recommend this location. Nonetheless we enjoyed our stay very much and would return.

british columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Dreams 8th to 15th June in room 2001 which is in the older Dreams Tower. Spacious top floor room with a balcony.....amazing views but you can see and hear the road....not a problem to us as the sound of the ocean is far louder than the road. Patricia our maid did a wonderful job at keeping the room clean. Thank-you for the rose in the glass :-) . Mini bar stocked with my requested extra bottles of water daily along with the regular bottles of corona and coke. Room service prompt, most we waited was 25 mins, quality good (not quite to the restaurant standards but still very good) waiters took the time to lay the table for you, a nice touch.
We spent most of our time on the beach and loved every min of it.....we drank many wonderful G&T's which were served to us on a tray.....makes you feel like a millionaire! The beach vendors were fun to deal with and very polite and repectful....no unwanted pestering, a simple 'no thanks' was all that was required. We only swam in the smaller pool for a short time each day, usually late afternoon as there was very limited seating and during the day all were usually taken, hotel seemed to be at 50% capacity so it must be even harder to find a lounger during peak season. We witnessed a poor waiter nearly fall as his foot went through the concrete pool surround!!! The pools could definitely benefit from a little tlc.
The staff, the ambience, the hotel facilities all excellent......we definitely plan to return.
Tipping.....not expected but gratefully received. The staff as said earlier do an amazing job and if it helps this is how we tipped.....$2 our room maid, $1 young lad who filled the room mini bar, room service $2, breakfast and lunch meals $2, evening meal $5 and $1 to the beach servers and internet cafe barista (great espresso coffee drinks).
Upon check out we sat waiting for our airport transport and was approached by Heather who asked if we had had a nice holiday and whether we had any comments or suggestions for improvements. We said free wifi should be offered and she advised that the hotel will be introducing this and that the hotel takes guests suggestions and concerns seriously......every trip advisor review is read. Thanks Heather for the chat (we're the British couple living in Canada) it was a lovely way to end our time at Dreams.

St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed fom 6/8-6/18; first trip to PV with the kids. The Explorers Club was fantastic - 2 girls (8 & 10) - refused to go the first couple of days but once they went, it was great for them and they even got to hold and release baby turtles into the ocean one night. For excursions, I suggest using Orlando (goes by "Orlando Majic) - he is on the beach every day; went snorkeling through him for $120 (all 4 of us); my husband went deep seafishing with his guy and caught a 70 pound sail fish, 3 Bonitas and tuna; great trip - also used him to do the zip lining tour which was great. Stayed in the Preferred Tower but if you do ask for a higher room - we were only 1 floor from bottom and the view would have been better higher up. Food was as good as any other top notch all inclusive - something for everyone; spa prices are outrageous so do not go there; there is a cave under the Explorer's club with locals - Raney braided the girls' hair for about $70 each; much cheaper than any spa - and she did a good job. Would recommend to anyone - and go into town for the flea market - $5.00 cab ride - lots of souvenirs to find. Housekeeping excellent - not enough bartenders at the pool bar though - we tip for every drink and still had to wait many times for a drink.

Room Tip: Stay at the preferred tower (free Internet access and premium liquor/light snacks all day); 24 hour...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I went on a winter get-away here. We loved this place so much and will take another trip to a Dreams resort in the future. Their customer service was amazing! We had to change our flight/hotel times due to passport issues and they didn't even charge us. All staff were more than friendly and helpful. Our favorite was Veronica who gave us great tourist advice when we went to the boardwalk. Great restaurants to choose from, activities for kids and adults, love the night life entertainment (fire dancing, hypnotist, magician) and beautiful ocean view. We felt like we were at a private beach the whole time. I love the little cove that this resort has all on it's own--you can't see another hotel/resort in sight!

Room Tip: Use your resort credits to update your room! Best idea!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed for 1 week in June. Beautiful and private beach. A little old building but nicely decorated and clean. Staff were friendly and obviously care about guests. Pool were good size and they were separated so each one had a different feeling.
Originally we were sent to 3rd floor but it was partially ocean view. But I reserved ocean view when we pay online. So we went back and talked with staff and she sent us to 9th floor! It was a beautiful ocean view and we were so satisfied!
One thing we didn't satisfied was restaurants. All restaurants cook very salty. I could tell foods were fresh but they were often over cooked as well. Portion was good. I ordered to cook with no salt and they tasted better.But all restaurants have same kinds of food.
Overall it was a great hotel and we had really good time there!

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I travelled to the Dreams resort from June 8th to the 15th. Overall, we were amazed and happy with our stay!

Service: Very attentive staff, happy to great and serve you. They work very long hours and never disappoint! They're always giving their 100%.! Alfredo (Freddy) was awesome; in the mornings he's engaged in the pool activities and during the late evenings he came out to the clubs in downtown PV with us and the other resort friends we made! I don't know how he does it!

Rooms: We had booked a basic room, but had asked for a king size bed instead of two double beds. When we checked in, we were very pleased to hear we got the room and bed we wanted. That was a great start to our trip! The room is basic, but clean and spacious. All rooms have ocean views which is a bonus! Our mini fridge was stocked daily with beer, juice, coca-cola, bottled water. The cleaning ladies did a great job. The safe was easy to use. The bed was surprisingly very comfortable. The AC worked just fine. Honestly, you don't spend that much time in your room so I would not pay extra for a more luxurious room! The basic room had everything we needed!

Cleanliness: Immaculate. I even saw a man up in a palm tree trimming the branches and cutting down coconuts and dead leaves (safety precautions)!

Location: I loved the location. You are a $5 taxi ride away from downtown PV. But, you are also right in the jungle and mountains! You really have the best of both worlds, I find. The jungle was probably one of my favorite parts of this resort; you are always surrounded by lush plants, trees, even mango and banana trees, and beautiful flowers! Didn't see much wild life though.

Food/drinks: The food was very good! Even my picky boyfriend could always find something he enjoyed. If you're a steak and potato kind of person, I would recommend the Seaside Grill restaurant. Even the seafood there was delicious! Only downfall of this place are the wasps!!! They were pretty terrible, especially if you're right on the patio. The buffet had a good variety of food and was good, but was not as tasty as the restaurants, which is what we were expecting anyways... it's a buffet! Men, I know it is very hot in Mexico, but bring dress pants and dress shoes if you'd like to eat at the fancier restaurants, they will tell you to go change if you're wearing bermudas. We ended up ordering room service instead. The drinks were amazing! They had all the top notch brands which was very surprising (and no they are not filing the bottles up with lower quality liquor)! Benjamin makes a darn good mojito!!! ;)

Activities/nightlife: The resort is very organized. Every day we received the daily schedule which presented the kids club activities, the adult activities, the featured night show... It was very practical to receive these in our rooms, great idea! Like I said before, the staff is very engaged in everything they do, and made our stay so much better! We played tennis one day, the court is great! The have a laser tag court but we never used it. During the evenings around 8:30 pm, the featured show starts. They had a karaoke night, mexican fiesta, casino, fire show, carribean feast, stand up comedy and live music... they are worth going to especially the fire show! We also enjoyed the casino night but it was way too short! I think it lasts about 1 hour but easily could have played an extra hour! Too bad. After these shows, there is nothing much going on as for shows or fiestas. You can watch sports in the sport bar or sometimes they will have a big screen set out on the beach. For those of you who are interested in the night club scene, at about 11 pm every night a few staff members will take a group of people from the resort and escort them to the clubs in downtown PV. I would strongly recommend it if you're up for that sort of thing! It is $35 a person which includes your taxi ride to the club, your cover fee and all drinks for the night. I went one night to a foam party, haha! What a blast! I felt very safe, especially that the resort staff members were with us. So if you want to see the night life, you have to leave the resort i'd say. I would recommend going to the Malecon and the market/romantic zone. Very pretty!

Beach: Beautiful, clean, but you can't really go on a "walk on the beach", it's not very long. Water was surprisingly a clear blue! So beautiful!

Weather: We were a little bit skeptical about going to Mexico in June, as it is the beginning of their rain season. The week before we went had clouds and rain the entire time, but did we lucked out! We had sun and sun and sun every single day! It rained and thundered one evening around 10 pm. No big deal. Average temp. was 32 degrees celcius but with the crazy humidity it was about 42 degrees! Very hot.

All in all, this resort is really a "dream"! ;) We would strongly recommend it, and would go back in a heart beat! It was much nicer than a 5 star resort we had stayed at in the Nuevo Vallarta.If you can't enjoy your stay at this resort, your standards are extremely high. Also, this resort is very SAFE! If you don't go looking for trouble, you'll stay out of it. Keep in mind that even if this is an all-inclusive resort, you'll always manage to spend hundreds more once you arrive there whether it be on tipping, taxi rides, souvenirs, wine, excursions...or losing the tennis balls hehe ;)

Muchas gracias to the entire staff at the Dreams!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!