“EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
FREE WI-FI
Ranked #9 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
“EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I just returned, and our stay was EXCELLENT! We advised the hotel upon booking, that we were visiting for our anniversary. Upon arrival, there was a Happy Anniversary banner on our door, and a fresh fruit plate along with a card for a free botle of champagne on the desk. Check in and check out were quick and painless. Our room was very clean, and the bed was very, very comfortable, and had a selection of 6 pillows of different size and density. The room also had an electronic safe to secure valuables. Every day the room fridge was restocked, and every two days we asked for a 12 bottle brick of bottled water which was delivered with a smile. From our housekeeper, we requested extra towels, bath soap and Kleenex every day, and it was no problem at all. The food was great!...For an all inclusive, it was excellent! Make sure to hit Oceana for both breakfast and dinner. The daily breakfast buffet at World Cafe...huge selection of American and Mexican foods. The beach was lovely, and there were plenty of lounge chairs to go around. We will visit Dreams again.

Room Tip: We requested a room on the top floor via an email to customer service...request rooms 2001 through 2...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (901)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

31 May 2013 - 07 Jun 2013

09 Jun 2013
"Restful Get a way"

Entertainment was was excellent for off season All staff were very friendly and willing to make your stay enjoyable.Food was excellent,waiters were all courteous and friendly. Although it rained for the whole time we were there except for one day we were able to take part in the many activities offered. Gym was good, all machines in working order and clean. Loved the Coco cafe for coffee and snacks.Jungle trekking was great and I would recommend everyone should go on if they are fit.
The strong points: Excellent a la cartes. Liked that we did not have to pre book. No wrist bands. World cafe served excellent food, good variety. Any problem was dealth with in a timely fashion.Recognition for special occasion very nice.
The weak points: Not able to walk along the beach for any extended length. Unable to walk to P.V. Felt a bit isolated unless you took a cab or bus. Take bug spray as there are tiny black flies??? that do bite.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1106. Patio doors opened to a grassed area with a couple of loungers there. Very n...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our anniversary trip to Dreams Puerto Vallarta. We had been to other resorts in the Dreams family but this was our first trip to Dreams PV.

The property itself is a bit dated but overall very well kept. We decided to splurge and upgraded to the preferred tower which was very nice. The room was spacious and the bed was comfy. During our entire stay housekeeping kept our room looking beautiful.

We spent most of our time relaxing by the adult pool and beach area. We attempted several times to go by the main pool but it was always very noisy and extremely crowded. The only downside to the adult pool was that there were not many loungers available if you didn't get up early and claim one before grabbing breakfast.

Probably the best part of our stay were the food and beverage staff that we met and got to know as we ate at the various restaurants. Our favorite bar tender was Crisipin (who mostly works at El Patio) He was very attentive and took very good care of us. Try a Guava Margarita as they are fantastic. Fernando, the restaurant manager at El Patio, also was fantastic. One evening he ordered our entire meal for us and it was wonderful. Try the melted cheese in the scalding hot lava bowl. It is both fun and delicious!

We also were introduced to the Head Chef Jose Luis and the Food and Beverage Manager Romano. They made our stay especially memorable. They arranged a special anniversary dinner for us and even came by to check on us during our meal. We would see them busily working throughout our trip yet they would always take time out to come over and visit with us for a few minutes. My wife and I believe that the people at a resort make or break the place. These gentleman set this resort apart for exceptional service and genuine care for their guests!

We would have probably given this resort a five except for a bad experience with a "VIP Services" employee as we were leaving regarding our resort credits. Not the best idea to scold two grown adults telling us that we were wrong about what we were told at check in ten days earlier when she wasn't even there! Two things I dislike while on vacation: trying to be "sold" a resort membership and being treated like a child. Although this was an isolated incident, it did leave a bad taste in our mouth as we were departing.

All in all we really enjoyed our time and would recommend it to others looking for a relaxing all inclusive vacation. Thanks again to the rest of the staff at Dreams Puerto Vallarta for making our stay special!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed at Dreams PV for 5 nights in late April and absolutely loved it. Dreams was the 6th all-inclusive that mu husband and I have stayed at and there were a few things that stood out:

1- The private beach. We are notably pool people, but spent every morning on the beach thanks to its beautiful views. The vendors who walk around pay to be on the beach so they were not annoying or intrusive. A simple "non, gracias" and they went on their way.
2 - The food. This was the first all-inclusive where I never ate at the buffet! The breakfast at Oceana was awesome (some of our favorite meals) and the morning view of the surf was perfect. For lunch we really enjoyed the Barefoot Grill (surprisingly good hamburgers!) and only found the World Cafe on the last day... wish we'd found it sooner as our lunch there was spectacular! Every night we spent at one of the a la carte restaurants and never had to wait for a table.
3 - The people. There must be something about Puerto Vallarta in general - every time we visit this area we come back with friends and Dreams was no exception. Everyone there - guests and staff alike - are very friendly and create a really laid back vibe. It really does help make the resort feel like home!

A few notes of caution:
1 - There are a TON of weddings at this resort. It became a running joke between my husband and I when we asked people what brought them to the resort. Nearly everyone said "a wedding". Luckily we found a group of non-wedding go'ers to bond with or it could have seemed a little click-ish with all the large wedding groups.
2- Our first room was over the small pool, which is where they host wedding receptions. After one night of listening to the ongoing music, we ended up requesting a room change. It was just too much and with a 1 year old at home, I come on vacation to SLEEP, too! The staff couldn't have been more accommodating moving us to a new room. The front desk staff did such an excellent job; many thanks for their help.

Overall, this is a fantastic resort and we would definitely go back, if the price was right. There was an excellent balance of activity and relaxation, beach and pool, food and drink (oooo, the drinks....). I always love a vacation that exceeds expectations!

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the elevator to also avoid the wedding reception area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

What can I say about this beautiful resort, since this year (2013) was mine 14th year in a row coming to Dreams PV. I have seen many changes but only for the better. I feel very safe (since I come by myself except for 3 years) here. Everybody (staff) at the resort makes me feel as if I am a QUEEN. I truly ENJOY this resort, especially the food, activities (Dream Team), security, rooms, VIEW. As long as I am able I will continue to come to DREAMS PV once a year to relax and have a smile on my face, cause that is what this resort does for me!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Anaheim Hills, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I will start by saying that I traveled to Dreams with my husband for our anniversary trip in mid May for 10 nights. We are both 41, and have traveled to the area every year for the past few years, but this was our first trip to this resort. We went for a quiet, peaceful, and romantic getaway where we could unwind and enjoy our time together. I can say that I now realize that for the most part based on what we wanted from our vacation we picked the wrong resort and that is our own fault. I know that Dreams is advertised as a family resort, but we figured with the adult pool and the fact that we don't eat dinner until 9:00 or 9:30 we could pretty much find the peace and quiet we were seeking. Well, we were very wrong!
My first big problem with this resort is the adult pool. Don't get me wrong, my husband and I both thought it was one of the best pools we have been to. Right on the beach, infinity, perfect temperature, quiet, nice hot tub attached, bar right next to it, and very comfy loungers. The problem is that there are only 15 loungers at this pool! Yes, only 15 chairs for over 380 rooms. Go ahead, do the math, and yes it is impossible to get one of these chairs unless you are down there before 7:00am! On vacation the last thing I want to do is set the alarm and have to jump out of bed and run down to get chairs! Some people said they were down there at 5:30am. So ok, you don't get a chair there, just go over to the main pool. That's a big NO THANK YOU! I can only describe it as complete ciaos. There were people drinking way too much at the swim up bar, loud music constantly playing, and kids running wild. The beach palapas were no better. I was really surprised how many children were vacationing during this time of the year!
My second concern was with the amount of weddings that take place. I understand that people like to have destination weddings and the resort probably makes a substantial amount of their income this way, but there needs to be a balance so that other guests are not negatively impacted by them. We were there 10 days and easily saw 20 weddings. Some were small and held at the quiet pool were you did not even know they were there. Others had over 200 guests and really infringed on the rest of us. They had a private welcome party held right on the main beach from 7:30pm to well past midnight. Loud music was playing and all the other entertainment and shows for the night were cancelled. Kind of hard to watch the sunset and listen to the ocean when this is going on. The next day was the wedding and the same thing happened. Another wedding took place right in front on the adult pool where set up began at noon; tables and chairs being set out and trenches being dug up for electrical lighting. Hard to relax in the pool and enjoy the view when all this is going on.
One other point of contention was the lack of areas to just hang out and have a drink, relax and listen to some music. They have one bar for everyone in the evenings. This led to regularly seeing families with the parents drinking and the children running wild well into the evening (I'm talking past 11:00pm). Two nights we even had the special treat of seeing the same woman breast feed her baby!!!
On some more positve notes, we stayed in the old tower and thought the room was very clean and nice. The bed was the best we have ever had in Mexico and we never had issues with noise from neighboring rooms. Also, some of the staff at this resort are truly outstanding! I had contacted Bethy ahead of time and told her it was our anniversary and that we wanted a room with a nice view. Upon arrival she greeted us and when we went to our room (on the top floor!) there was a banner on the door and a nice fruit plate and champagne waiting for us! She went out of her way to see that we had a special dinner one night also! We ended up at Seaside Grill most of the time because Gilberto was so nice and fun to be around. Gabriella in the lobby bar was so sweet and always kept our drinks full. And I can't forget Orlando at the adult pool bar. He was so awesome and nice that we actually preferred to walk up and get our drinks rather than have them delivered!! Also, the resort has a beautiful beach and is really close to town so you can enjoy the surrounding areas. We were able to go into town and explore, dine, and shop many times because it was a $5 cab ride.
So, if you are still reading this, I guess I would tell people that just want some peace and quiet and are traveling as a couple that this is probably not the place for you. We traveled in mid May and really thought there would not be many kids but we were really wrong! If you are looking for some solid value and have a family, this place is probably for you.
On a side note, if we had not stayed here we would not have met the nice people that we did! Hi Jourdan and Corey!! So for that, I am thankful!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I apologize for not getting a review up sooner. We traveled April 22, 2013 for one week. We were attending Dreams for a wedding and there were approx 65 guests there for the event.

The bus ride from the airport to the hotel was short. We had to make one stop at the sister resort "Secrets" downtown PV (near the Malecon) and in total the ride was no more than 30 minutes even with that stop.

The entrance to the resort is gated and guarded. Once off the bus we were swiftly greeted with a warm towel and champagne. You had to line up to get your room, but this went very fast. What they did that I liked is the person behind the desk didn't explain everything to you - they just got your particulars, gave you your room key, and then passed you on to another customer service person who took the two of us aside to explain a few more details about the resort. This was NOT the timeshare talk. We sat down in a cozy corner of the lounge area and she showed us the map of the hotel, where our room was, explained the events they had going on that day, gave us some coupons for the resort (to be used at the spa, for purchasing wine from their extensive wine list, or for a romantic dinner on the beach), she asked us if we were interested in any activities and even helped us by giving us some info and a map of downtown PV so we could explore it on our own. At the very end of this talk, she did explain that they do have a frequent flyer program and that if we were interested we could book a time to talk with their rep. That was it! They did not hold us up at all.

We then walked to our room, which was in the old tower. We lucked out because we were on the 10th floor (room number was 2015) - the only thing above us was the penthouse suites. We had an amazing view of EVERYTHING - the ocean, the whole resort and Western sunsets every night! The room was very spacious, very clean, the minibar was well stocked (everyday) and we thought it was not old or tired at all. The only thing I would say, and this is not a negative, is that the bathroom was a standard size! Some resorts you go to make their bathrooms "grand" and luxurious - but honestly, how much time to you spend in the bathroom - or in the room for that matter? The bathroom was perfect!

Now, some great...no...FABULOUS things about the resort:
* no arm bands
* no reservations
* as many towels as you want
* no reserving lounges or palapas - many to choose from at any time during the day
* wonderful upscale a la carte dinners and lunches
* hand sanitizers before you went into the buffet or a la cartes (my germaphobe husband loved this!)
* AMAZING STAFF - very friendly, smiling all the time, and a couple days in new you by name (shout out to Christian, Ezy and Oscar from the entertainment staff and the beach bar guy - I forget your name now - but he worked his but off in the heat every day not only behind the counter mixing drinks but he even took a turn waiting on the beach!)
* beautiful beach - soft sand (was hot when we were there, but you just wore your sandals to the water's edge).
* beautiful scenery - each end of the resort is buffered by mountains and houses built into the sides of them
* very efficient gym - has all your basics, is spacious enough, sweat towels availble, water cooler, hand sanitizer and equipment sanitizer, music, TVs, etc. We were able to accomplish our regular workouts in this gym. Now, it was air-conditioned but it wasn't that cool.
* waves when we were there were nothing too much to handle - and very fun to boogie board
* so many activities every single day: yoga on the beach, jungle walk right from the resort, beach v-ball, water aerobics, kayaking (they also had two guided kayak tours - one just kayak and one a fishing kayak tour), movies on the beach, boogie boarding, baby turtle release, rock climbing (not as easy as it looks), tennis, laser tag, tequila tasting, spanish lessons, beach waiter service, dancing, theme nights on the beach (will explain later on) and shows, on and on and on. We did so many things on resort, we didn't have to go off resort (although we did to go to the Malecon)
* also on the beach as an extra cost they have parasailing & jet skiing
* the Cafe - excellent espressos and baked goods (I think my hubby had a donut each day because we just don't eat those things regularly and when they are baked fresh - they are to die for!)
* ample buffet (we only ate at the buffet for breakfast)
* respectful vendors on the beach - we actually compared prices with the beach vendors and the prices on the Malecon before buying and there wasn't much difference. We decided because of how hard the beach vendors work all day long in the hot weather and how respectful they were to buy from them - and we are very happy with our souvenirs.

The theme nights - this resort does not have an amphitheater - so they set up directly on the beach every night they have a theme night. All the staff work so hard to make this happen. They roll out large round tables and chairs (8 per table), decorate the table, set up a stage for the show, lights, sound, buffet tables for the food and mats for you to walk on so you aren't walking on the sand while getting your food. They have it down to a science and every theme night was simply stunning. It was also very convenient that the sunset would form a wondrous backdrop to each beach dinner.

The wedding - was marvelous. Again Dreams has it down to a science. There were 8 weddings in 6 days while we were there for one week. On the days that they had dual weddings, they simply had them at each end of the beach - otherwise the regular spot is in front of the old tower by the Oceana restaurant (which by the way was our favourite - we ate there 3 times!). The regular dinner/reception area is around the "adult pool" - which is very private as the lush vegetation has grown up around it. One point to mention here is that if the adult pool was being used for a wedding reception, they would close it down @ 2pm daily - so if you were at the pool you would have had to relocate. We were always at the beach so this was never an issue for us. Dreams was also respectful of other guests having rooms right behind the adult pool and the parties would shut down @ 10pm. Most wedding parties would then move to the sports bar or main lounge area to finish their night off.

So many wonderful things to say about Dreams PV. We have stayed at other 5 star resorts including an Excellence - but the Dreams has set the bar. We can't wait to go back to a Dreams resort (or sister property)!

Room Tip: We lucked out and were just given the top floor room - but I would definitely ask for one! 2015 was...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!