“Amazing vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
FREE WI-FI
Ranked #9 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Edmonton, Canada
“Amazing vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I went away last May (late to review) and have been to other all inclusives but honestly Dreams PV is so relaxing and everything is easy to access, love the private beach and we loved Oceana and the seaside grill for lunches/dinners. Felt truly pampered and were so relaxed the whole week. We are planning on another family vacation this May for my parents 40th wedding anniversary, bringingnmy parents and taking our young children this time, truly an amazing vacation!! Stayed in the preferred tower but checked out the other tower as well, both have beatiful views!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (900)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

First off this resort is gorgeous !! Beautifully decorated, flowers are amazing, and the staff is on the beach every morning making it look perfect for guests!! It is 20 mins from airport ($25 USD to and $15 from for taxi fares) and surrounded by mountains that makes the beach very private . The ocean was very beautiful sure not crystal clear and some high waves, but if you want that and no tide go to the grand caymans !! The waves didn't bother us at all it was actually very relaxing listening to them at night and a blast swimming in them . The big waves made it more fun to swim, on one day they were too strong for the kayak tour, but you could still take the kayak out yourself you prob just had a swim a little and jump in rather than get pushed . Also, there aren't rocky sands like people said . On the far right hand side of beach there are some huge rocks in the ocean and if you go way over there (which you shouldn't because tide is strong and lifeguard will yell at you) you might feel some pebbles, but that's if you are swimming in the waves, definitely not on the shore !!

Second off, there are NOOO bed bugs . I noticed a lot of people who made these comments had children . I mean if you let your kids play in sand and jump right into bed then yea I am sure you might get some little bugs in bed, but we had no issues . Even the mosquitoes weren't bad . Never used bug spray and we stayed 8 days and I had a total of 5 bites which I probably got from ziplines and hiking in the jungle . We also, kept our windows open usually at night, but sometimes it was too hot .

Food and bevies were great !! I recommend the leaping lizard, dirty monkey, coco loco or if you are feeling just parched have a coconut rum and diet . I loved the italian restaurant and also seaside grille !! The staff is always super nice and go out of your way and will remember you and what you like so please tip them !! Most people don't, but you really should it is quite a humbling experience driving past some of the homes in puerto vallarta and should make most guests feel very gracious . Also we loved the mexican restaurant and ate at the buffet a lot . Honestly, we liked everything for the most part.

We didn't do excursions through the resort too expensive and takes up to much time . Orlando a local on the beach will find you (trust me) and we went through him it was awesome !! We went snorkeling and ziplining and it was like $200 total for 2 people . I also saw a shark it was very exciting and scary by the 3 giant rocks you snorkel at, pretty sure it was a black tip reef, and we saw 2 giant manta rays . Both were the size of our boat . If you have any questions about places to go to the locals can help and also Dreams concierge desk, they are very helpful and even offer cheaper alternatives to seeing like the waterfalls or whatever you are interested in like horesback riding, so, you don't have to go through them. They will hail you cab and tell you who to go to .

Also, I recommend getting the free 30 minute photo shoot . Tons of photos and its great seeing them all . I spent like $55 for 3 shots, but well worth it for me at least .

Downsides ::

Granted we went during spring break, but apple vacations had about 50 hammered, completely wasted 18 year olds running around slamming shots with their chaperones . They were loud and obnoxious and it kind of put a bad taste in our mouth because we were looking forward to a romantic getaway . Also, they were very rude to the staff and their language isn't what I would call appropriate considering this isn't an adults only spot . The thermostat always seemed a little off, the room never felt 'cool', but hey you are in the tropics, so, we got over it it really wasn't that big of a deal .

We stayed in the old tower and loved it ! Very beautiful and didn't need a balcony either . We stayed in room 1924, 9th floor, king size bed and it was just perfect for us !! On a side note we travel to a lot of places and been all over the world, so, we aren't pretentious . Remember this isn't the states, so, you can't go in comparing this to your fav Sheraton or Marriott back home . Next time maybe we would do Secrets since we want less spring breakers and no children, but I would recommend this place . PVR is very beautiful and it was a great experience .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Meridian, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was a spring break trip for me, my wife, and our 2 kids; 8 y/o girl and 6 y/o boy. My wife and I have been to Cancun and 2 Club Meds in Mexico. We were looking for an all-inclusive experience, with good beach and sun activities, good food, and something for the kids to do when we didn't want them around. Dreams pretty much delivered, so we'd recommend it and would go back.

ROOM:
We booked a "Junior Suite" in the premium tower. It set us back a little over $500/night, but we were able to roll in a single bed and make up a bed on the sofa, so we did not need a separate room for the kids. I attached photos; the bathroom's nice, and there's plenty of space in the room. One downside is there is no privacy screen or wall or anything separating the bed from the sitting area. I had hoped for an "Embassy Suites" setup, where we could put the kids in a separate room. No such luck. Perks in the premium tower included free wifi (pretty slow, though), separate check-in areas, and a little cafe area downstairs that always had drinks and snacks. All nice to have, but if it was just me and my wife, we probably would've stayed in the cheaper tower, in a smaller room, for much less. If feeling like you are being pampered is important to you, you should stay in the premium tower. If you just want the beach, and a room is a place to crash (Club Med experience) then I say go cheap.

I am pretty sure every room has an ocean view, which is nice.

BEACH:
Awesome.Walled at both ends, so it's pretty much a private beach for the resort. Surf was high enough to boogie board (6-8' waves) and beach was kept nice and clean. Good cocktail service, too. There were enough lounge chairs, but barely...lots of folks like to reserve them early (which is not policy) so you either have to join the crowd of weenies who reserve, or just ask a neighbor if anyone's been around for 30m, then just grab the chair. By day 3, everyone knows the score and either is a reserver or a booter.

Also on the beach, they have a lifeguard, and a couple of buoys set out for a swimming area. They also tow an inflateable trampoline/float out, and really neat inflatable climbing wall. Lots of fun for kids and adults. I recommend you know how to swim and are comfortable in the water, since the surf was no joke.

ALL-INCLUSIVE STUFF & ACTIVITIES & KID'S CLUB:
It was very nice to never have to open your wallet; just order another margarita or pina colada or what have you. As far as other stuff goes, my wife did yoga every morning, they had a neat little nature hike, and we went out kayaking one day. It was not quite as physical or active as Club Med (with sailboats and wind surfing and stuff) but still pretty good.

The kids went to the kid's club for a couple of hours almost every day; they have a program of hourly events that makes it easy to pick and choose what they attend. They do movies every night at the beach as well, which is good if you want some adult time at the restaurant or something. Kids liked the club; I'd say 10 y/o is about as old as would find it fun. 12 is certainly pushing it.

If you are an avid runner, you can either run laps on the beach (1/4mi in soft sand, no hardpack to speak of) or get on the treadmill. I wouldn't recommend running off-property...the roads are a bit dicey.

We did go into town; walked going in, walked around, and took a cab back for 50 pesos. It was fun; nice to see something besides the resort. Ensure you get clear directions for walking in, or take a cab, or use Google Earth to spot the route, since it's tricky and there are no sidewalks.

FOOD & BEV:
Food was not fabulous. I'd say about the quality of your average cruise ship. Some excellent dishes, and some real losers. Bottom line, stick with the fish, and you'll probably be happy. And get the sauce on the side.

There are several restaurants, which I'll describe:

Oceana: Fish restaurant, white tablecloth, breakfast and dinner. Fish dishes were pretty darned good; stick with simple preparation and you're fine. It was a win, and we went several times.

Seaside Grill: American food...steaks, chicken...I had an excellent skirt steak (good char and nice rare interior) but the rest of the food was not great. This was also the most popular place, so waits were long and service slow. I'd go for the steak, but that's about it.

Barefoot Grill: Right on the beach, tacos, burgers, hot dogs, chips & guacamole...a great choice for lunch while relaxing. Walk right up in your swim trunks. Certainly good for what it is...a burger shack.

El Patio: White tablecloth Mexican...I liked it, and would go back. It didn't seem very popular, but the food was good.

Portofino: Italian. I was not thrilled. While the food was OK (not great), they really give the impression that this is going to blow you away. I wasn't impressed, but it wasn't terrible.

Coco Cafe: It's just a little coffee shop by the cheap tower with some sandwiches and stuff. We didn't eat there...had the same stuff in the lobby in the other tower.

World Cafe: Buffet...not great. I'd skip it for lunch or dinner; for breakfast, wasn't bad. Had a nice woman doing omelets and eggs to order that were pretty good, and they had good juices and Mimosas. Croissants were remarkably good as well. We had breakfast here pretty much every day, weren't disappointed.

For beverages, the beer was Corona or Negro Modelo on tap, and wines were Chilean Cab, Merlot, Chard, or Savignon Blanc. They do try to upsell you with a wine list of decent stuff, but if you want house red or white, they'll pour it at no charge. Cocktails were good...we had our share of "boat drinks" and the kids enjoyed virgin pina coladas and daquiris. Of note, be careful when ordering...unless a kid makes the order and picks up the drink, they might goof up and put rum in...happened a couple times (so maybe 1 in 10?), we didn't sweat it (just ordered a replacement and drank the high-octane version ourselves).

SERVICE:
Really good. Staff was eager to please and tried really hard not to say "no" to a request. Really excellent and genuinely there to take care of you.

Getting here was easy; we left the airport, walked over the overpass, and grabbed a cab for $20US. Would've likely been less had I had pesos, or negotiated harder. It's $25 if you leave from the airport. Getting back was 150 pesos (I suppose $15), and there are plenty of cabs by the bell desk.

We also got some "resort credits"...these were BS...basically $10 off a $100 spa treatment, or $5 off a $50 bottle of wine...so not really credits at all. No biggie, we didn't make a decision based on them.

Bottom line, we'd go again, we had a good time, the beach was awesome, and that's what we went for. Maybe next time we'd try two smaller rooms in the cheap tower, and we would lower our expectations for food.

It was great for a family vacation in the sun. If you are looking for a spring break drunken blowout, this is probably not for you.

Room Tip: If you want to feel "taken care of", go to the premium tower. If you just want a place to...
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a week in the preferred section of Dreams Puerto Vallarta. We were travelling with extended family and had 6 adults, 4 children ranging in age from 3 to 10. It was our first time at a Dreams resort and we were not disappointed. We usually do not pay extra for 'preferred' sections but we did in this case as we wanted a guaranteed balcony. Now that we've enjoyed this so much it will be hard to go back to 'regular'. Check-in was a breeze as once we got off the bus someone took our bags and directed us to the preferred concierge, Salvador, who checked us in. 2 of our 3 rooms were ready (as we were earlier than check in time) and the last was ready by 3. The preferred lobby has snacks, drinks, lattes available and is very handy. The in room wifi worked fine for us but there are also computers to use in the lobby.

We headed up to our 4th floor room which was very beautiful. All the rooms in this building have ocean views with large balconies. The bathroom had a rain shower & detachable shower head, big soaker tub and glassed in toilet for a little privacy. I wasn't a fan of the huge sink though as it took up too much counter space. My only complaint about the room is that we had double beds. We had our children though and I understand in many places queens are not common. The sofa area is large too. Housekeeping was good although we did miss turn down service a couple nights. A note arrived explaining that we could arrange a better time based on our schedules. Luggage arrived promptly to our room.

Being Spring Break and Holy Week for the locals I'm assuming the resort was at capacity. It still felt small which we all enjoyed. This resort really excels at customer service. We did witness some younger people getting loud but not like what another reviewer commented on. It could be as we were on the preferred side at night. In the main pool area we did see the bartenders checking id's, refusing service and even cutting off service to one girl. This was NOT a party resort. It was very quiet in the evenings. On speaking with another guest he said a 'party group' which may be the one that got out of hand was asked to leave and were given other accommodation at another property. This is second hand so I don't know but it seemed like Dreams tries very hard to maintain a high standard. Another great example is my brother in law lost 300 pesos and his room key in the pool. He went to our concierge for a new key and amazingly a staff member had found it all and even his money was returned! When does that ever happen?

Food- we enjoyed it very much! No reservations is a bit annoying for a large group. We liked the Seaside grill & Oceana the best. Portofino was delicious but the location was in the basement and not well lit. El Patio, well we had a bad experience. Our waiter was rude, never offered drinks, got our orders wrong. Really disappointing. I went to comlain at the desk at El Patio but was ignored. I went to the buffet and made a couple comments to one of the staff there and said we were only there for dessert and she apologized profusely. Well word spread as the next day a lady from the buffet apologized again and said she was organizing the Carribean night at the beach and the best table would be reserved for us. Unfortunately we missed it as a tour in town went way longer than we thought it would. I only mention this to show that Dreams tries very hard to please their guests.

The kids club staff is nice and my kids enjoyed it for a couple of visits. Activities do repeat often. Movies on the beach were great for the kids too. There's also a trampoline, lazer tag (which was NOT good - they got 1 minute of play for the hour they were there). There are included tours of a jungle trek and kayak fishing (which my husband did one morning and liked).

Location makes trips into downtown PV easy by taxi. We used a big van and it was $15 US each way (10 people). Overall I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort. I know some in our group are planning to return to this resort and I will definitely be looking at other Dreams properties when we travel.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Coconut Creek, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at Dreams PVR from 3/22-3/27, and had a wonderful time. The food was awesome, Oceana and Seaside Grill have amazing food. Try something different every night and you will not be disappointed. I am still dreaming about the ceviches! The only restaurant we did not try was Portofino, since it is adults only, and I have 2 children. Bring plenty of sunblock, during our stay there was a ton of extremely pale tourists, most of the them Canadians, and by day 2 they were as red as a lobster. Also bring sunburn aloe/lotion, and mosquito repellent. There were acouple of mornigns when they water the plants and probably use recycled water, so the back way to our rooms, which has lots of green, smelled like a sewer, did not bother me much since it goes away fast, but be prepared. I also recomend painting your own pottery, the girls is by the main pool everyday from 9-5, and she will draw the contour lines if you wish and you just have to paint. Mine came out beautiful. They have great night entertainment at night, and the caribbean party was awesome. We didn't get to use the Explorer's Club, our kids are 7 and 11, and I feel it is more fit for younger kids. The staff is great, very accomodating and eager to please, so please treat them with respect, tip them well also. The location is beautiful, just breathtaking, the mountains and the beach are pristine and the people warm and wonderful, what else can you wish for?!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. We stayed on 18, which is really 8, and got to see dolphins and wha...
Greeley, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The resort is very clean. The food was about average for an Mexican resort. We went in to town to eat more so than eat at the resort. We stayed in the newer tower. Very petty. Trip petty good the first day we were there and the rest of the trip our glasses were never empty. Just an heads up we went last part of Sept. It rained every day. It did not bother us. But if you don't like the rain every day go doing the winter or summer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My first vacation in many years; my first trip to Puerto Vallarta; my kids' first trip out of the country; my first warm weather trip like this with them as the only adult. I'm a full time practicing attorney and full time single mom, so needless to say, we don't have too many opportunities to just sit back, relax, and soak in the sun together. However, on this first trip together, we were in heaven from the moment we arrived until the very moment we left. To be fair, because we are not what one would call "well-traveled", we are also not too difficult to please. Nevertheless, this trip meant a whole lot to us; it was really significant. I've been talking about taking them somewhere like this for many years and finally - finally! - I was able to do it this year. And I chose Dreams PV based in large part on friend recommendations as well as reviews on trip advisor.

We went from 3/21-2/27. In fact, I even celebrated my birthday there on 3/26. My kids were blown away by how everyone was so kind to them and so hard working and so willing to go above and beyond what any of us could have expected. They loved the food, they loved the pool, they couldn't get enough of Ricardio and laser tag and trivia in the pool and beach volleyball and the endless supply of poolside Dirty Monkeys and Fernando's genuine kindnessa and thoughtfulness at El Patio (the picture of us with Fernando is their favorite picture of the trip!). They have never had room service before, so we did it - twice - and they were thrilled both times. We felt comfortable, safe, welcomed and we were just all smiles all week. I was hesitant about being the only adult with 3 kids, I'm not going to lie, but Dreams made it all so easy that it was really a no-brainer. It couldn't have gone smoother.

I am reluctant to say anything negative at all because truly, we had such a memorable experience and we have already mentally planned our next trip back. However, I will toss this in here with the hope that maybe I can help spare the next single parent - particularly mom - who attempts the same adventure. I found that, on average, I had to explain to the Dreams staff about 3-5 times a day that no, I am not married; no, my husband won't be joining us later; and "yes, I'm serious, there are just 4 of us for dinner tonight". Within about 5 minutes of our arrival, when the concierge was reviewing the hotel coupons to me and my kids (i.e. free bottles of wine, $40 off spa services, etc.) I was hit over the head with it. I do not exaggerate: "Here are your coupons. Here is the discount on services at the spa. Here are 4 coupons for free bottles of wine, but you probably won't be using those since you're alone. And then the final one is for a romantic dinner on the beach, but of course you won't be needing that." And then he actually drew a big X across the coupon and threw it away in front of us! My kids just kind of sat there but I actually cracked up because a) I have a sense of humor, and b) I felt like I was on an episode of "Candid Camera". To that end, the only suggestion I would make would be to encourage some sensitivity among the staff, and encourage an understanding that families come in all shapes, sizes, colors and components. The constant need to explain my marital status began to make me feel like a real freak.

Notwithstanding that element of the trip, I cannot say anything negative here. We had a ball, we made many, many lifelong memories, we met some really great people, we laughed, relaxed and really enjoyed each others' company the entire week, and for me, it was such a treat to have someone else cook for us every day! We can't wait to plan our next trip back - hopefully soon!

Sheila

Room Tip: We were in the Old Tower and we all decided it was perfect for this trip. It was clean, modern, had...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!