“Dreams Puerto Vallarta 2013” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
FREE WI-FI
Ranked #11 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Wisconsin
“Dreams Puerto Vallarta 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was our second trip to this resort, 2012 being our first. We liked it so much last year, we decided to go back this year and upgrade to the preferred tower. It was outstanding in every aspect! Totally love everything about the resort, the people, location. Really, I don't think it could have been better. The rooms and amenities in the preferred tower were definitely worth the price upgrade. Rooms in the other tower were Ok, but nowhere as nice as this tower. If you are ok with a clean, nice room, the regular rooms will be fine, but if you like the extra pampering and more, go for the preferred tower. Restaurants, bars, pools, entertainment are all top notch. One of the main things we like is the layout of the resort. Two excellent seaside restaurants, and I mean on the water, plus a beautiful private beach. Service overall was outstanding. The spa is wonderful too. We met lots of great people from the U.S., Canada, and other countries. I will say another thing we like is that it is not a college kids hang out, we like to party, buy it was a nice mix and not crazy wild.

Room Tip: Beds are phenomenal, you will sleep well. We had a room with a jacuzzi on the balcony and loved it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (916)
Duluth, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Late February, 2013, my husband and I spent six nights at this hotel. The food was excellent and a very nice variety, all of the servers in the restaurants, bars, beach and room service were wonderful. We stayed in the older tower, but had a great view of the ocean and the room other than a horrible MUSTY smell was very comfortable and housekeeping did a very nice job. My issue and only complaint was the terrible musty smell. We noticed it on our first day, but thought if we left the window open it would go away. We tried to get through the next day and night, but in less than 48 hrs in the setting I was having sinus issues and needing my inhaler.

I went to the front desk early am after the 2nd night there with my concern and effects of the must (mold?) on my breathing. They did offer me 4 choices, which I honestly can recall only 3 of....1) They would move us to a 2 bed room (this was our vacation and wanted our king bed) 2) They would send housekeeping and maintenance in to go through everything (I was not thrilled about having to stay out of my room for a portion of the day) 3) They would move us to a room with a king bed and balcony (which was not totally necessary) the next day. Well, by the third day when we could be moved to an acceptable room, we opted to just try and keep the windows open and deal with it. The thought of repacking and unpacking clean & dirty stuff after 3 days seemed a hassle. We did go to the malecon for a few hours that evening and upon our return they had been in the room and tidied up, used incense or something to cover the smell, and it was much nicer to be in, but only for a day or two. The sinus issues didn't go away, but at least it didn't smell so bad. I just find it hard to believe that in the entire complex, there was not one room between the towers that would have been better for us.

It is unfortunate, because other than this matter, which was big, it was wonderful!

Room Tip: Make any room concerns known before unpacking aything!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I'm quite late reviewing, but almost 7 months later my husband and I were reminiscing about our trip, and I realized that I needed to post a review. My husband and I went mid-September for our "baby moon", so I was a little over halfway through my pregnancy at the time. We splurged and stayed in the Preferred tower. To us it was worth every penny, but we spent the hottest part of the afternoon napping and reading books in the room. Everything was wonderfully immaculate and the room was gloriously comfortable.

We enjoyed the food quite a bit. We tried all of the restaurants with Portifino, Seaside Grill, and El Patio being our absolute favorites. Seaside Grill had some amazing aguachile that my husband could not get enough of. Portifino had a lovely ambiance and the food was stellar. El Patio had some of the best pastor tacos I've ever had that come out as a pre-appetizer. I was only disappointed that I didn't see a whole plate of them on the menu! In the morning we liked to get coffee at Coco cafe then head over to World Cafe for the buffet at breakfast. There were lots of options there and we usually ended up eating far more than we should start the day with!

We would then settle in on the beach while it was still fairly cool and quiet. We'd enjoy swimming, read on the beach, and peruse the wares of the vendors. Lots of lovely silver and we came home with a great blanket as well. Once it reached afternoon it got a little too warm for me, so we would head to shower, lunch, and lounge in the room or wander the resort. We went during the off season so it was fairly quiet and not every restaurant was open every day, but we would do the same again. We were there for Mexican Independence day, and the resort suddenly became very full for that weekend!

Every one we talked with who worked there was amazingly kind and helpful. My husband speaks Spanish, but even when I was wandering alone there wasn't a noticeable language barrier.

Housekeeping did an amazing job of maintaining the room, and of course we made sure to leave a tip every day. I only wish that the toiletries were stocked more or made more readily available - I absolutely fell in love with the lemongrass lotion and the bar of soap, and wish I could get some more out here!

Oh, we also managed to avoid the "not a timeshare" bit fairly easily, but my husband and I are a young and tattooed couple - we don't exactly look like the type to have that sort of money at our disposal.

Our trip was scheduled during the laying and hatching season for sea turtles as well! We were able to sign up at the front desk to get a call if a mama turtle came up on the beach, but were warned that it is often very late night/early morning. We didn't go on vacation to sleep, so we signed right up! There was only one other couple down when we were called, and it was awe inspiring. Absolutely worth getting woke up in the middle of the night! We actually signed up for it twice for the week we were there. The call usually came around 3am, and we would call room service after we got back. It was actually included, but we definitely made sure to tip a little extra! Even the room service food was fairly good - it always showed up quickly and hot. We also participated in the turtle release at sunset. It was absolutely lovely.

Sorry if I've bounced around, I've got a newborn distracting me now. :) Overall we absolutely adored each and every aspect of this trip. We will definitely return in a few years once our newborn is old enough to leave with his grandmother for a few days. The place appears to be quite family friendly, but I know we'll need a nice romantic getaway sometime soon. The only complaint I can think of in the least is that they didn't have horchata, which is a traditional Mexican drink that my husband is particularly fond of. I believe it's not prevalent in that part of Mexico, though.

Room Tip: We were in the Preferred tower. I sent a message to ask for a room as high up as possible because I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nebraska City, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We looked at many resorts and reviews and chose the Dreams resort all inclusive. We were very happy with our pick. The staff and resort were awesome. Always something to do and someone ready to help you make a plan for an outing. Always fun to learn about the area and culture but reallly loved the quiet seclusion of this beautiful resort. Food was always good with many choices every day. Our room was overlooking the ocean with a jacuzzi on the balcony. The room was clean and set up well,very comfortable and clean and we enjoyed
the door open to balcony at night with the sound of the ocean which was very relaxing. The staff treats the guests as royalty calls you by name and always greet you with a smile. One of the most amazing trips we have taken. The activities were very well planned and fun, the special parties had amazing food and entertainment. Will definitely go back and travel to more Dreams locations!

Room Tip: More privacy in upper level rooms
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

My trip to Puerto Vallarta was just the best trip ever. You want to know what made it that much better? Dreams Beach side Resort. All inclusive and not very pricy. With the 5 restaurants on (or by) the beach it was just so worth it. It was just a great experience, especially with the service. Many of the workers were very polite and never slacked off. They were very into the activities that we had done. I made a lot of friends also. The beach was beautiful and the water was perfect. The waves were very enjoyable when we were body boarding (besides the rashes from the sand) and the trampoline was very fun. It was probably the best trip i ever went on and i am looking forward to going back

• Stayed June 2012
Hastings on Hudson, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

If you compare Dreams to a luxury hotel or restaurant anywhere in the wold, it won't win. BUT if you conisder the value, location, and convenience, it's terrific.

Service: very willing but particularly the restaurants are understaffed (esp. the Mexican restaurtant on the night we were there).

Food: adequate.esp. again considering the price. But if these places were self-standing restaurants you'd say ok, nice but you wouldn't write home to mother.

Drinks: truly unlimited but expect juices not fruits, small glasses, and in general less than premium brands.

Rooms (based on our stay in the "old" tower): it really isn't very old at all our room was large and very nicely decorated. We were first assigned to the 2nd floor, then to the 4th, and finally after much complaining, what do you know, there was a room with a view and balcony on 19 or 20 that was available...all this despite having asked for a room with a balcony and view. Make sure you clarify BOTH these points before you agree to a room. They will use all kinds of euphemisms to pawn off the lower floor no balcony rooms on you. Note that views on the lower floors are often blocked by trees.

Also, you are asked to fill out a long form at a second registration desk with info such as your birthdate, children's ages, and more. I could care less about the privacy issues, but they only want this to sell you a timeshare...so pass on the form filling and special desk if you can.

Beach: nice.

Cleanliness: excellent

Room Tip: Be sure you get a high floor with a balcony.
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We are huge fans of the Barcelo Colonial on the Riviera Mayan and until now we did not think we could find a place that could match the food, cleanliness and comfort. Well, I am please to say this place was amazing! The food was always top rate with excellent portion size. What we really liked was that you did not have to make a reservation to go to the ala carte restaurants. You just showed up and if they were full, they would give you a small disk with lights that would tell you when your table was ready. There was always a small bar just a few steps away from the restaurants. Our favourite was "Portofino" (Italian) and we ate there 3 times over the 2 weeks. They also had Oceana, Sea Side Grill, the Patio and the World Cafe.
The rooms were excellent. We stayed on both sides and they were both excellent. The reason we stayed on both sides was we had an opportunity to stay on both sides and we took it. Staff we very helpful and always said "Hola".
The beach was a nice size and being that it was somewhat isolated, there was less beach vendors than other places we have been.The sand is finer and not as coarse as Huatulco and makes it easier on the feet. Kayaking was excellent, especially when we took the Hotel Entertainment Team Kayak tour. We only saw a Hobi Cat on the day we were leaving, so that would have been nice to do prior to leaving. Always lots to do, all the Hot tubs were excellent, 2 out of 3 pools were cooler than the main pool, but they were nice on the hot days.
The evening shows were good, although some of the beach evenings shows were a little cool with the ocean breeze.
There is the Time share people, but if you don't want to hear it.....just say no thanks. They are not allowed to approach you a 2nd time (so we were told and experienced).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!