“Not Quite the Dream of Dreams Past” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Not Quite the Dream of Dreams Past”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Still very good food, friendly staff. Entertainment team leaves much to be desired. They dont encourage people around the pool to participate much, yet the ´¨monkey dance¨¨ always takes place at 3pm each afternoon.
The resort so far is very quiet..actually Im still here for a 2 week vacation. The weather certainly has not cooperated, but of course this is not the fault of the resort. A lot of the senior waiters-waitresses arent here, & to me, this makes a big difference.
Where is Raymundo who was the bar manager? Where is Jose, the charming waiter at the Seaside Grill? There are a lot of new faces, so if the resort has done some layoffs, theyve shot themselves in the foot. Getting back to the Entertainment Team, there is one face remaining from last year, and he has been here for a long time.
Perhaps I just need a change of resorts, or perhaps I know its time to move on & just let the Dream of Dreams past, be just that...a Dream of the past.

Room Tip: All are spacious and very clean! I dont recommend a room in the upper floors of the older tower. You...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I will update with a more detailed review shortly- want to get my fiance's input as well.

Quickly, we went to Dreams for our 10 year anniversary. We loved absolutely every single minute of it. For our anniversary, we booked a dinner on the beach. Amir proposed to me at our dinner, with the help of the resort, and together it became a heart-stopping moment in time, and an evening I will never forget.

I will post pictures and a detailed review of our room, the resort, outside excurisions, service, food, etc.

But to sum up, amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing. CANNOT wait to go back in 2 years for our wedding!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We just got back from Dreams Puerto Vallarta where we were celebrating our wedding with 50 of our family and friends. I think it's safe to say that we all had a fabulous time!

My husband and I have been to Dreams PV in the past and LOVE this property! Everything from the beach to the food and the service has been great! And this time was no different.
It's a beautiful property, a little smaller than your usual chain all-inclusive resort with a boutique feel to it. The quiet sandy beach is kind of private with the mountains serving as walls on both sides. Some of our guests didn't go in the ocean because of the waves, but quite a few of us actually enjoyed that part of the beach experience. The food at the restaurants is much better (taste and presentation-wise) than any other resort we've been to. And the coffee shop is a very nice touch (the brownies are to die for)!

The only thing that could have been better during our stay is group dining experience at the restaurants. We would typically come in groups of 8-10 and it took quite awhile for everyone to get their food.

All the staff at the resort was great, but I especially have to thank our wonderful wedding coordinator Fatima who made planning a wedding from afar a breeze! She was very quick to reply to my emails (usually within hours), was very detail oriented, and was able to provide me with the all the info I requested. I was a little nervous that they wouldn't be able to carry out my vision, but everything was done just as we discussed! When the wedding day came, I was impressed with all the beautiful decorations and set up! The ballroom where we had our reception looked like a fairytale! We couldn't have pictured a more perfect wedding! =0)

Looking forward to more vacations at Dreams Puerto Vallarta!!!

Room Tip: all the rooms are quite nice, so unless you're really used to luxury, don't splurge for the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hi,

We stayed in the preferred tower for two weeks over the Christmas break. Overall, we really like the resort. There were fewer crowds around the pool than we've seen at most resorts, and the we never had any waiting to get a seat in any restaurant we chose. The food was good, slightly better than the typical items we've had before.

WiFi was available in our room, although it would frequently cut out. The signal was stronger by the pools!

Our kids really liked the Explorer's Club for kids, and would stay there for much of the day. They made several friends, and we got to know their friends as well.
The fitness center fine, although they play the same recorded music concerts on the TV every day. It gets monotonous after a week.

If you like to run or walk, you can not run on the roads outside the resort safely. I tried twice and was nearly hit by taxis and tour buses both days. It's just too dangerous. You're stuck on the treadmill. I even tried running back and forth on the beach without shoes one day. My calves paid for that!

The beach was nice, and the waves were a little harsh only on a couple of days.

One of the pools was heated so our kids enjoyed swimming in there. The other pool in unheated and cold. That's the quiet pool to hang out at, as there are lots of empty chairs.

My only concern was with the bed bugs we were forced to endure. Every morning, my wife and I would wake up with bites on our bodies. Sometimes, we would be awakened when we got bitten, and would move to the coach to sleep. By the end of the vacation, we had over 25 large swollen bites on us. It was very uncomfortable. We bought some medication to deal with the bites. We did talk to the front desk person at our preferred tower twice about the bed bugs, and nothing was done. We also told them our tub would flood the entire bathroom when someone took a bath. Twice they said they would send someone up to look at it and twice no one came. We were unable to use the tub for most of the trip.

Most of the staff were quite nice, and I gave them tips to show my appreciation. However, I was disappointed by the lack of service in regards to our two room requests. Although it was a nice resort, I would not return again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Four of us (two couples) stayed this resort on January 2013. This was our first time in PVR, and we were very excited after reading all of the wonderful reviews about the place prior to going, which got us even more excited. I have got to say, we all got blown away by our experience here at the resort!

Beach: the resort beach is nice, quiet, clean, and secluded. Lots of activities for everybody from just laying in the sun, enjoying a cold drink, kayaking, beach volleyball, parasailing, jet skiing, etc. the views during the sunset are just beautiful, and allow for great pictures.

Food/Restaurants: one of the highlights of our trip - the food in the buffet, a la carte, and even room service were all amazing! There was a wide selection of food (steaks, seafood, burgers, Mexican food, etc.), and they certainly did not disappoint.

Pools/Hot tubs: there were 3 pools and 3 outdoor hot tubs in the resort. The main pool is somewhat heated and not too cold and there is also a swimup bar. The second pool and hot tub is in a more secluded area (and sometimes there is a private event like a wedding happening in thus area. The third pool and hot tub has a bar nearby and has a great view of the beach and ocean ( the water in the pool was very cold though).

Spa: if you can, try to book for a massage outdoors during the day - it is very nice and relaxing, and it is in a balcony overlooking the resort beach and ocean. There is also a hot tub in the balcony, and other spa amenities include a pressure shower and a sauna room. The prices for the spa services were a little on the high side, however, there are often coupons that are distributed which brings down the prices to a fairer price point.

Room service/quality: no complaints here. Our room was always kept very clean and our mini bar fridge was always stocked up with beverages.

Service: everybody was friendly, polite and willing to help. Definitely made us feel super comfortable and at home!

All in all, with how great our experience was, we find that it'll be hard to top it off.. But we're certainly looking forward to returning here and trying the other dreams resorts in the future!

Room Tip: The higher floors have better views of the ocean and the resort.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

An elegant hotel since the days of Liz Taylor and Richard Burton. Great food. Elegant rooms (if you pay the surcharge). And the best beach in PV. The main buffet has an excellent assortment of foods both Mexican and otherwise (I loved the sushi) and the subsidiary restaurants are all first rate. Only problem with this resort - it's a twenty dollar cab ride to town. Then again, why go to town at all?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Amazing staff, food, activities at a reasonable rate. 3 sons between 9-13 loved everything about the resort. Very safe with a rather large beach and numerous activities. Kayaking, ping pong, volleyball, jungle trek, and of course body boarding kept us entertained for most of the week. Totally loved it and hope to return again.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the beach. We were on the 8th (18) floor and had a great view. Waves are pretty...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!