“wedding of my dreams” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“wedding of my dreams”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We just got back from Dreams Puerto Vallarta where we were celebrating our wedding with 50 of our family and friends. I think it's safe to say that we all had a fabulous time!

My husband and I have been to Dreams PV in the past and LOVE this property! Everything from the beach to the food and the service has been great! And this time was no different.
It's a beautiful property, a little smaller than your usual chain all-inclusive resort with a boutique feel to it. The quiet sandy beach is kind of private with the mountains serving as walls on both sides. Some of our guests didn't go in the ocean because of the waves, but quite a few of us actually enjoyed that part of the beach experience. The food at the restaurants is much better (taste and presentation-wise) than any other resort we've been to. And the coffee shop is a very nice touch (the brownies are to die for)!

The only thing that could have been better during our stay is group dining experience at the restaurants. We would typically come in groups of 8-10 and it took quite awhile for everyone to get their food.

All the staff at the resort was great, but I especially have to thank our wonderful wedding coordinator Fatima who made planning a wedding from afar a breeze! She was very quick to reply to my emails (usually within hours), was very detail oriented, and was able to provide me with the all the info I requested. I was a little nervous that they wouldn't be able to carry out my vision, but everything was done just as we discussed! When the wedding day came, I was impressed with all the beautiful decorations and set up! The ballroom where we had our reception looked like a fairytale! We couldn't have pictured a more perfect wedding! =0)

Looking forward to more vacations at Dreams Puerto Vallarta!!!

Room Tip: all the rooms are quite nice, so unless you're really used to luxury, don't splurge for the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

1982
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hi,

We stayed in the preferred tower for two weeks over the Christmas break. Overall, we really like the resort. There were fewer crowds around the pool than we've seen at most resorts, and the we never had any waiting to get a seat in any restaurant we chose. The food was good, slightly better than the typical items we've had before.

WiFi was available in our room, although it would frequently cut out. The signal was stronger by the pools!

Our kids really liked the Explorer's Club for kids, and would stay there for much of the day. They made several friends, and we got to know their friends as well.
The fitness center fine, although they play the same recorded music concerts on the TV every day. It gets monotonous after a week.

If you like to run or walk, you can not run on the roads outside the resort safely. I tried twice and was nearly hit by taxis and tour buses both days. It's just too dangerous. You're stuck on the treadmill. I even tried running back and forth on the beach without shoes one day. My calves paid for that!

The beach was nice, and the waves were a little harsh only on a couple of days.

One of the pools was heated so our kids enjoyed swimming in there. The other pool in unheated and cold. That's the quiet pool to hang out at, as there are lots of empty chairs.

My only concern was with the bed bugs we were forced to endure. Every morning, my wife and I would wake up with bites on our bodies. Sometimes, we would be awakened when we got bitten, and would move to the coach to sleep. By the end of the vacation, we had over 25 large swollen bites on us. It was very uncomfortable. We bought some medication to deal with the bites. We did talk to the front desk person at our preferred tower twice about the bed bugs, and nothing was done. We also told them our tub would flood the entire bathroom when someone took a bath. Twice they said they would send someone up to look at it and twice no one came. We were unable to use the tub for most of the trip.

Most of the staff were quite nice, and I gave them tips to show my appreciation. However, I was disappointed by the lack of service in regards to our two room requests. Although it was a nice resort, I would not return again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Four of us (two couples) stayed this resort on January 2013. This was our first time in PVR, and we were very excited after reading all of the wonderful reviews about the place prior to going, which got us even more excited. I have got to say, we all got blown away by our experience here at the resort!

Beach: the resort beach is nice, quiet, clean, and secluded. Lots of activities for everybody from just laying in the sun, enjoying a cold drink, kayaking, beach volleyball, parasailing, jet skiing, etc. the views during the sunset are just beautiful, and allow for great pictures.

Food/Restaurants: one of the highlights of our trip - the food in the buffet, a la carte, and even room service were all amazing! There was a wide selection of food (steaks, seafood, burgers, Mexican food, etc.), and they certainly did not disappoint.

Pools/Hot tubs: there were 3 pools and 3 outdoor hot tubs in the resort. The main pool is somewhat heated and not too cold and there is also a swimup bar. The second pool and hot tub is in a more secluded area (and sometimes there is a private event like a wedding happening in thus area. The third pool and hot tub has a bar nearby and has a great view of the beach and ocean ( the water in the pool was very cold though).

Spa: if you can, try to book for a massage outdoors during the day - it is very nice and relaxing, and it is in a balcony overlooking the resort beach and ocean. There is also a hot tub in the balcony, and other spa amenities include a pressure shower and a sauna room. The prices for the spa services were a little on the high side, however, there are often coupons that are distributed which brings down the prices to a fairer price point.

Room service/quality: no complaints here. Our room was always kept very clean and our mini bar fridge was always stocked up with beverages.

Service: everybody was friendly, polite and willing to help. Definitely made us feel super comfortable and at home!

All in all, with how great our experience was, we find that it'll be hard to top it off.. But we're certainly looking forward to returning here and trying the other dreams resorts in the future!

Room Tip: The higher floors have better views of the ocean and the resort.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

An elegant hotel since the days of Liz Taylor and Richard Burton. Great food. Elegant rooms (if you pay the surcharge). And the best beach in PV. The main buffet has an excellent assortment of foods both Mexican and otherwise (I loved the sushi) and the subsidiary restaurants are all first rate. Only problem with this resort - it's a twenty dollar cab ride to town. Then again, why go to town at all?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Amazing staff, food, activities at a reasonable rate. 3 sons between 9-13 loved everything about the resort. Very safe with a rather large beach and numerous activities. Kayaking, ping pong, volleyball, jungle trek, and of course body boarding kept us entertained for most of the week. Totally loved it and hope to return again.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the beach. We were on the 8th (18) floor and had a great view. Waves are pretty...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lethbridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Me, my husband and our two children (2 and 5 years old) came here for our first family vacation and thought it was great. The staff was very friendly and they kept the resort very clean. The fellow vacationers should do their part though (littering the beach with cigarette butts). My daughter was able to spend some time with the explorer's club which she loved. They had the turtle release program running so she got to do the release twice. There was plenty to do we thought with what the entertainment staff had coordinated, whether it was beach soccer, volleyball, yoga, water aerobics, rock climbing, you could also rent kayaks and boogie boards. The rooms all had ocean view but some rooms in the old tower don't have balconies, they had a sliding door though. It is definitely worth paying extra to get a room in the preferred tower. It's newer, nicer, water, pop, juice and beer in your fridge stocked daily and if you need more they will replenish it no problem. They also have some specialty coffee like espresso and cappiccino and snacks put in the lobby throughout the day. The food was great and the restaurant staff as well. There are no reservations needed at the restaurants, no bracelets and no line ups. Some restaurants were only open certain days and times but there was always a good variety. They have a mexican fiesta night and the put on a good show and the amount of food prepared for this and the amount of time the staff has to put in to make it all happen is amazing. On this particular night a huge turtle came on to the beach to lay her eggs but because of the amount of people she got scared and went back out to the ocean. Just a reminder that we need to give the natural wildlife in these resorts their space. There are a few iguanas that you will see throughout the resort. They mainly hang out on the rocks by the pool. The day after we had arrived we went for lunch at the Sea Side Grill and an iguana wandered its way in, it wasn't overly big. The waiter noticed that me and my kids were showing interest and trying to get a closer look at it so he gave me some flowers to feed it. I did not expect for it to come over to our table, climb up the back of my chair, on to my back and steal a flower off the edge of the table. I was a little freaked out but it just wanted the flower. After other guests got their pictures of the lady with the iguana on her head, yes it then climbed on my head, the waiters helped get it off of me. It then went on the table took a bite of my cheese cake and took off. Quite the experience. All in all it was a great stay I did only give it four stars because of some communication errors while booking. I have read some comments from some other people about their experience with the unlimited vacation club staff. My husband and I are members of the uv club with am resorts and we never experienced any negative dealings with them. It is a great membership. Here them out and make your own choice before deciding based on other peoples reviews. By using our membership for a trip for 4 we saved close to $1000. We would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was our second time in Dreams and both times we stayed there for my both daughters' weddings (although the weddings were outside of the resort). We brought with us 70 people and everyone was impressed with the resort, service, food, and the atmosphere. Even the water in the ocean was very quite that we spent all time swimming. There are two buildings in this hotel, the old one with the Junior Suits Ocean View rooms and the new remodeled one Club Tower. Both are very good with a big size ocean view rooms, but if you have some extra dollars to spend, I would really recommend you to stay in the New Club Tower building because it is absolutely beautiful!!! You will have unforgettable experience! I would go back to the Dreams again and again!

Room Tip: the higher floor in the new building - the better view of the ocean!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!