“Decent but not under expectation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Toronto, Canada
“Decent but not under expectation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We spent a week in this property during Christmas holiday, and just returned a few days ago. Immediately upon check-in, we were told the preferred club suite that we booked was not available, and we had to stay in the old tower for one night. That's just not acceptable to begin with. It would have never happened should we stay at bigger hotel chain such as Marriott or SPG. I was kind of shocked given all the advertisement and emphasis on "unlimited luxury"...
Grade F on the check-in experience.

Let's talk about the food - huge disappointment. First night we ate at Oceana. The food was lukewarm and seafood tasted like previously frozen. After some discussion with employees working there, the seaside grill seems to be the best choice for food. So we went there the second day for late lunch. We were very pleased with the seafood ceviche (there are four kinds, all good). Chips were freashed made and sausa was good enough (although not at the same level as those from Marriott Cancun). Overall, definitely better than Oceana. We came back for dinner the same day. The food was mainly a disappointment. The fried calamari was as if reheated in the macrowave, not crispy at all. We complained about it and they remade it for us fresh. Hello? do we really have to do that to get a basic calamari good??? The steak and seafood market after were pretty good.

The biggest disappointment was perhaps the Italian restaurant where the food was overly salty and cold. I am surprised they don't keep the plates warm before putting the food on, or maybe just been sitting there for a while before putting on our table. We complained and the next time we ate there we got some special attention. Again, we shouldn't have to complain in order to get what we should have been provided at the first place.

Breakfast buffet was decent, nothing to write home about. Pretty standard for an all-inclusive. Juice isn't really freshly made - I highly suspect that. But not bad comparing to the dinner.

A few common thing with the dinner at this property:
- Salty (I have a strong taste on food and typically like salty food, if I say salty, that means it would be salty for 99% of the people).

- Cold or lukewarm

- Stale (not freshly made but reheated)

- Same presentation no matter what you order - a sign of mass production (you order fish or steak, then your other items on the plate has the exact same look and ingredients)

The biggest joke was the Christmas eve dinner buffet. In order to secure a table, guests would have to purchase a bottle of wine. We were told it will be very special. We didn't book it because the Italian restaurant promised us to do something special for us as well after our complaint. But we did stop by and looked the Christmas buffet first. We were shocked that the food look like left-over from breakfast or lunch. There were literally nothing special about it, with the only addition of turkey and roast beef. All else looked terrible.

Facility - most of the main building's facility looked dated. However preferred club tower is much nicer, and we liked our suite.

Pool - too small, and the adult pool is mostly in the shade of the new tower (perhaps a few hours with direct sunlight).

Staff - okay but luck of some basic training or sensibility. One night, our safe wasn't working at all. The Front Desk staff told us to move to a different room for one night. Anyone who has any sensibility at all would not have recommended that. Packing and unpacking twice in a week? Seriously? We were late with our dinner as they were struggling to fix the safe for more than one hour. As someone who has spent almost 1000 nights in Marriott hotel family, I am shocked with the lack of some of the basic capabibility of their staff.

Beach - beautiful. The private beach is really the plus here.

Activity - We were able to get water activity gears pretty easily, we didn't participate any other organized activities.

Drinks - disappointed. Nothing comparable with Marriott Cancun. I don't know what the drinks do not taste fresh.

Overall, we were disappointed with our stay, with a few problems with the hotel (check-in and safe issue), and not pleased with the quality of the food and drinks.

4,180 people have reviewed this hotel

1976
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (798)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our third time to Dreams PV - always a great vacation! Staff is very friendly and helpful - they have a great Facebook page and are very receptive to your questions/requests (Bethy is fabulous - most helpful). We upgraded our room to top floor (2-level suite) in regular building - it was fantastic! Once again, our four year old loved the kids club and met new friends. The drinks and food were outstanding (great variety) - no reservations needed and staff was decent and accomodating. Room fridge was stocked daily and pool/beach drink service was great (we normally provide nice tip in morning and are well taken care of the entire day). Activities, music, and shows were fun throughout the day and evening. We loved having a drink in the evening in bar off of lobby (ask for snacks) - just lovely. I always buy jewelry from "Izzy" in the evening by pool - (male/vendor) - he is fabulous and will work with you on anything you want created (great prices, good quality, trustworthy)!

We are always guarteeed a good vacation at Dreams PV - we have been to many quality all inclusives throughout Mexico, Carribean, Jamacia - this is always at the top of our list! Beautiful grounds, friendly staff, good/variety food and drink, clean (big) rooms,nice kids club, fun activities/shows/music - we have gone here as a couple and with child - all have been fantastic - as expected! Close to downtown, as well - just catch a cab to shop or go out for the evening (nice restaurants). We also visited the Zoo and pirate ship trip, both of which were worthwhile and highly recommended if looking for some day trips.

Room Tip: In older building - ask for higher level - nice views and they have started to remodel most of the r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
chicago, il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

First week in Dec. What a wonderful week! Have tried several Dreams & even a Secrets resort in Mexico, but Dreams PV tops them all. We loved being able to sit outside at most of the restaurants - gourmet dining day & night. Lots of seafood too which wasn't an option in Riviera Maya. Most memorable was our waiter David at the Seaside Grill who told us he knew it was our last night & wanted to make it special for us. He offered us Coconut Shrimp which wasn't even on the menu at the time. When we raved about the food he had Chef Fausto come out to meet us. On our dessert plates was written have a nice trip! Resort has lots of activities at the main pool if you want to participate, or go to the quieter adult pool. Beautiful grounds- be sure to do the garden walk & learn about all the amazing plants here, but my mistake was doing the jungle walk - it's really more climbing over rocks than enjoying the vegetation. Be sure to bring water shoes, no sandals allowed, or gym shoes that can get wet if you want to try this. A good work out, but not for the timid! We loved walking the huge expanse of private beach with warm water - perfect for swimming & boating. Free kayaks available, even a guided kayak tour. You can take out an equipped fishing boat & the restaurants will prepare your catch for dinner! Also, have not seen mention of the great kids club available here. My grand daughter was here last year & said this was the best ever! Be sure to take a trip into town, walk the malecon & go to the flea market. Lots to see & buy. Very friendly people & safe too.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Let me get to the quick. I was looking for a hotel with true Mexican Charm, not a Mega Resort. The room and grounds had to remind me of Hawaii with the backdrop of Diamond Head in the distance, and the lush Tropical Greenary of both Hawaii, and Jamica. The sound of roaring waves both night and day in my room like in Maui. was a must!

The service and food had to excell the Live Aqua in Cancun....

Dreams, lived up to my expectations, and more.

I stayed in the preferred tower as I wanted to be assured my room had a full balcony. The old tower had a limited amount of rooms such as these, and the rest of the balconies in the Old Tower were step outs, no table, or chairs.

The staff had to love their jobs, and the guests had to be repeat customers.

The grounds had to be a step out to the beach and pools, and there were no reservations, nor wrist bands for dinner, and such! Dreams lived up to all of these requirments, and more.

When it came to leaving tips, 98% of the guests do. I tipped five dollars for the maid a day, five dollars for room service, one dollar for every two drinks, and, of course, the bell hop, and the staff at lunch, two tot three dollars, dinner for two, five dollars. This is a guide line of what I do. The staff at all inclusives live off our tips.

I also, whenever I read a review of what others write, checkoff "I Liked The review" only to show the person who took the time to write, that someone indeed read their reviews. It is important to let others know.

lastly, this is the first time I have stayed at a non adults only hotel, and I loved it! There is no problems getting chairs and such on the beach. I went down to beach at around 10am. Guests at this hotel have no need to play the towel game as the hotel provides so many chaise lounges you can literally have one in the sun and one in the shade leaving so many extra unused chaises. The pools are small. Streets in PV are cobblestones. Wear sneakers. You can fall if you are not careful. It is 100% safe in the town in PV, with great small bars and music..

Let me say this...

This is the only hotel that I will return to. I thought Cancun was great but PV and Dreams is my new home away from home!

Room Tip: Preferred Tower if you want to be assured of a full balcony. However, both towers offer the level of...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dreamspv, Quality Control at Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Our main commitment at Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa is to create memories that will last a lifetime in all of our guests. It pleases me very much to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, we do our very best everyday to keep all of our guests enjoying of these beautiful days at our resort.

We sincerely thank you for choosing us as your vacation destination and hope to have the pleasure to serve you again in this "your home away from home."

It is a pleasure!

Esmeralda Alcala
Quality Control
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

December 8th-22nd.
We have been to Dreams PV 5 times and each time seems to get better. The staff, service, cleanliness, are amazing. We have a 9 year old who made so many new friends. We also made new friends, but also re-acquainted with people we see there every year. The food is outstanding in all the restaurants, although Seaside is our favorite.
The one thing I would mention is about tipping. Please tip. We did run into several people that actually came up to us and were annoyed that we were tipping at an "All Inclusive". The staff are so grateful for a little tip, it makes them feel that much more appreciated. In conclusion, the reviews here are generally positive, and I would recommend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: Preferred tower is a good choice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments and experience about your stay with us. I am glad to find out that your stay with us was an enjoyable one and that your 9 years old had fun as well.
Our incredible passion for what we do is the ingredient that puts us above the others! With positive feedback like yours, we can only assume that we are on the right track!

I thank you for having chosen our resort and hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

It is a pleasure!

Esmeralda Alcala
Quality Control
Portage, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I spent 5 days at this resort. We met up with a large group of friends for a wedding. The hotel has many activities going on all day, or you can just relax by the pool. Activities and meals, drinks were all included in the inclusive price! We could even order room service and drink from the mini fridge in our room, all included! And what a beautiful property! I always felt safe there, and all of the staff were friendly and helpful! We definately want to go back!

Room Tip: It is worth spending a few extra bucks to have a balcony. I sat there every morning with my coffee!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Was at Dreams PV 14-21 Dec 2012 with my GF, our first time there. Booked through Sunquest Tours. The flight from Toronto on West Jet was about 5 hours. The rep at the airport in PV was there to great us and had a taxi ready to transport us to the resort. The rep at the resort for Sunquest helped us book some day trips such as SCUBA diving and ATV'ing (strongly recommend the ATV tour, loads of fun, and you go to a Tequila plantation). Had a balcony suite in the "old tower" aka Dreams tower. Even though the Dreams tower is older than the Preferred tower, it is very nice and updated, as well as less expensive. Maid service is excellent. Remember if you want to leave a tip, you have to put the $$ under the little paper sign that has your maids name on it or they will not take it. Bar fridge is always stocked with coke, other pop, water, juice and 4 coronas, no hard liquor, at least in the Dreams Tower.
Alot of folks that were there have been coming to this resort for years, and that my friends says something.
Some Pros and Cons. The Cons may be a bit nitpicky, but nevertheless:

Pros:
- No stupid wristbands. You simply let them know what your room number is for service., meals etc...
- Did not feel the pressure to "tip". Although most times we did tip (20 pesos or $1 US), if you did not you still recieved superb service. Some resorts I've been too if you don't have an obvious tip ready you won't get good service.
- Large rooms, very comfy beds. All rooms have a great ocean view and the AC works well.
- Awesome food at all the restaurants. My fave was Oceana Seafood but they were all excellent. Food was fresh and the chef's do a marvelous job. I think I gained 25 pounds.
- No reservations needed for any of the restaurants, and you can eat at them as often as you like. They longest we waited was 20 minutes at the Seaside Grill. They give you a pager and page you when your table is ready. So we waited at one of the many bars...
- Plenty of space / chairs on the beach and pools. There was always available chairs / loungers no matter what time you went. No need to "resevere" a spot at 7 in the morning!
- Do not have to sign out beach towels, just ask for a beach towel at the kiosk and you get one. Don't have to return it either, they come around at the end of the day and gather them up from the loungers.
- Very friendly staff and the service was beyond reproach. They all speak good English, and always greet you with ola and finish with "its a pleasure".
- Top shelf liquor always available at no extra cost (except certain wine).
- Very secure. You have to sign in and out when you leave / enter resort so they will know if anyone is missing at the end of the day.
- Awesome beach. Workers manually rake the beach each morning and it was always clean. No seaweed either. There is a life guard on duty during the day.
- Always activities going on such as kayaking, yogo, movies, etc...
- 24 hour room service. We never tried it but others said it was great.

Cons:
- They tend to push the "Points" club a bit too far. First couple of days they keep bugging you to sit in on their prenstations to get a free spa treatment. They say it is not timeshare, but it basically is. They even called our room and asked. After a couple of days they get the hint you are not interested and leave you alone.
- Old TV in room did not work that great, but I didn't really care.
- At times hot water for the shower was limitted.
- Vendors on the beach tend to walk around asking you if you want to buy stuff like blankets and trinkets. They don't harass you but it gets a bit anoying. That said, we did buy a very nice blanket for 30 US $. Don't be afraid to barter if you like something.
- Nightly entertainment was good, albeit a bit short, average show was 30-45 minutes long.
- No discotheque on site. You have to go into PV if you want to go to this type of bar and party.
- Have to pay extra for wi-fi or internet time on the 2 computers in the coffee shop. Alot of resorts at least offer a couple of community internet computers if not wi-fi access to check email, flights, etc for free.

Overall this was the best All-In resorts I've been too. They go the extra mile to make you feel welcome. Can't say enought about the quality of the food and the service.
I will be back for sure, I just wish it would be sooner than later.

One more thing: At the airport do not get sucked into the timeshare sharks. They will lead you to believe they are with your tour company and by the time you realize it your transportation is gone and they are harassing you into timeshare buys. I can't believe the tourism board of Mexico and PV allow these pushy people to be in the airport, it puts a sour taste in your mouth from the get go. Keep walking past timeshare-shark alley, do not not give eye contact or say anything until you reach the real lobby and you see your rep holding an official sign....

Room Tip: Rooms at end of the hallways are quieter and larger. The ground floor rooms are not adviced, they ar...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!