“Comprehensive and Unbiased Review” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Phoenix, Arizona
“Comprehensive and Unbiased Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I just returned from a 5-night stay at Dreams PVR with two of my friends. The property was beautiful, the staff friendly, and overall it was a great stay. I will say that I think this hotel is geared more towards couples and families vs. single travelers.

We went for a girls week and got two junior suites in the preferred tower which is the way to go. You have a special check-in desk, special concierge, free wifi, two computers, and a special lounge with alcohol and snacks until 11pm. Sergio works the preferred lounge until 3pm and he was my favorite staff member :-) The rooms are huge and very modern with nice amenities. We stayed on the first floor, so our view was not as great as higher floors (it was still lovely), but we had a larger patio with lounge chairs vs. sitting chairs so it was a fair trade-off.

I'm a vegan, so I found eating to be a bit of a challenge because they put butter in almost everything, but the waiters at all restaurants were accommodating. I ate a LOT of pasta! The menus and buffets are VERY vegetarian friendly. If I still ate dairy/eggs I would have been in Heaven. Overall the quality and quantity of food at all of the restaurants was incredible. Oceana was our favorite followed by Seaside Grill. Both are situated with views of the ocean and you can catch some amazing sunsets. I never tried the room service, but they had a good menu available 24/7. Both of my meat eating friends enjoyed the cuisine.

The entertainment team was top-notch. We loved Carlos, Maricarmen, Ezequiel, Oscar and There were hosted activities all day long starting with morning yoga on the beach at 9am, jungle trekking at 10am, water aerobics at noon, and a variety of other activities throughout the day like blackjack, tequila tasting, water volleyball, rock climbing, dance lessons, arts and crafts classes, bingo, etc. There was plenty to keep you busy if you didn't feel like lounging. There are dinner shows a few times a week, and we had a blast watching the dancing show for Caribbean night and the Mariachis for Mexican night. We also got some laughs at Karaoke night.

There are two pools; the main pool has a swim-up bar and there is an adults only pool with a bar next to it. We spent most of the time at this bar because it was quiet and relaxing. The only problem with the pools is that the lounge chairs were taken early in the morning and used all day long, so you could never really lay out unless you went to the beach. For some that is not a problem, but I'm not particularly a fan of the sand.

The private beach was incredible. It was clean and only guests of the hotel inhabited it. There are a ton of chairs, and you can borrow kayaks and boogie boards from the hotel for free.

The alcohol is free-flowing, and they have regular brands like Bicardi, Hornitos, etc. The beer is Corona or Bud Light. The mini bar in your room has 4 Coronas, Ciel Mineral Water, Fanta, and a few other bottled sodas.

The spa was also very nice. I got an 80 minute deep-tissue and the green coffee detox scrub with Diane. The facilities are small but nice and the treatments were great. It was a little pricey, but I've found any resort/spa charges more. I also had a coupon for $40/off per treatment, so that was nice.

I would say that I wouldn't come back to Dreams for a girls trip, but I WOULD come back and highly recommend this is you have children or want a romantic getaway with a significant other. Also, a beautiful wedding destination.

Room Tip: The preferred club is absolutely worth the upgrade, but skip the jacuzzi tub. PVR is VERY WARM.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

1982
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

The resort is beautiful but the restaurants had very small portions we ordered 2 appys and 2 meals. The drinks were always coming and the service was great but if your flight wasn't leaving till later please remember to get a late check out as the hospitality room is only for 30 minutes, if you get one at all. No reservations at any of the restaurants is the way to go. The rooms are just average and if you like watching TV before here's hoping you get one that works. Internet SUCKS!! But other then that we had an awesome time.

• Stayed June 2012
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Our experience at Dreams was wonderful. We were in the preferred section, never left the resort (didn't need to!), were well taken care of, food surpassed our expectations, beach was beautiful, never had to wait for anything. Room was spacious, well decorated, master bath was spacious and clean and modern, jacuzzi tub on the balcony a great touch. When we came home, we discovered that at some point, someone had been able to get into my husband's wallet and write down the info for 4 of his credit cards and attempted to use them at various places in Mexico. His wallet never left the room, except for during a massage at the spa when it was placed in the spa locker. I imagine the culprit could have been anyone. Please note that there is a second, similar review regarding credit card theft posted here for a stay at the same time I was there. I am just cautioning fellow Tripadvisor travellers to be cautious with your belongings - something we should do where ever we travel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We chose Dreams Puerto Vallarta for our destination wedding since we love that area of Mexico a lot and the hotel had fantastic information right on their website of all the options for your wedding there. Each room had an ocean view which I thought was a huge plus. I had stayed at a Dreams resort before in the Mayan and it was wonderful, so we felt it would be a good spot to have all of our friends and family come to. 46 in all!
We weren't wrong. The hotel is amazing, wonderful service. The private beach was so lovely and perfect for much of our crew that had young families. Great boogeyboarding right off the beach, the surf did get a bit rough at times while we were there though. Amazing weather, sunny every day, no rain in 14 days! Outstanding!
You could see dolphins jumping in the bay following the pools of sardines some mornings, it was too cool. We were there just in time for the end of the turtle release program which was a huge hit with young and old. You are very close to town so a short cab ride in for great shopping and sight seeing. Good excursions for whale watching and fishing. It was nicely decorated for Christmas which was so wonderful and strange given that you are in a tropical paradise and there are Christmas Carols playing in the hallways. Great food, excellent a la cartes and buffets.
Our wedding was perfect. Exactly what we wanted it to be, simple and beautiful. Eleane was our wedding coordinator and took care of everything for us. We had a legal ceremony there and they could not be more helpful to make certain you have all the right documentation, it was great. The Judge was fantastic, spoke English, and the ceremony was gorgeous on the beach just before sunset. Our pictures turned out beautifully thanks to Marvik the most patient and wonderful photographer. Reception was so fun, we had a little dance floor so we could do the first dances and then boogey down for a while. Service during the reception was unbelievably attentive. I heard stories of servers darting out for milk for the kids or hot water for a bottle. And I never had an empty glass!
The older building is older but they were starting renovations while we were there. The premium tower is gorgeous although we didn't stay there. We had an amazing room in the older tower with most of our family and no complaints at all it was great.
We will definitely be back to this resort for an anniversary down the road and to remember many good times had by all!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Arkansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I know two couples who have stayed at this resort before, and both said they never felt compelled to pay extra for preferred club and never felt like they missed out on anything, so my boyfriend and I followed suit. Although I don't know how the other half lived, we quite enjoyed our vacation and wished we had booked a full week or longer. We are both mid-30s, professionals, who have traveled to many all inclusive resorts throughout Mexico, Jamaica, and Dominican Republic.

Pros:
Love the fact that all rooms are oceanview. It was awesome to sit on my balcony and watch the sunset every evening.

The food was definitely above par for an all inclusive. We really liked the Oceana (at there twice for dinner, three times for lunch) and the Seaside Grill. Mexican and Italian were okay, but nothing to write home about. The buffet was just that, a buffet. Not the best AI buffet I've ever had, but decent enough.

The grounds were well-kept and our room was very clean. Our mini-fridge went a couple of days without refresher, but we just called downstairs and they promptly brought up additional drinks.

A/C in the room worked well and the room was very comfy.

The beach is nice and large, although it is secluded and you cannot walk past the resort along the beach due to rock cliffs.

Cons:
The "sales pitch" for the VIP membership right after we checked in seems a little pushy and lasted too long in my opinion. We had just arrived, and under the auspice of "informing us about the resort," we got treated to an awkward sales presentation to buy a VIP membership/timeshare type thing. No thanks. It took me three times of explaining we weren't interested to get the person to listen. We were never bothered again, thankfully.

I wanted to enjoy a drink while sitting on the beach after dark, but there were no bars serving drinks that late except for in the lobby, which was a decent walk from the beach. There is a bar on the beach, but it closed early.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Great experience! June 9th-16th
-we stayed for seven days in the preferred tower in a junior suite with a jacuzzi on the balcony...great!
-excellant maid service..minimum of 2-3 times daily
-refill of mini bar any time
-GREAT food at ALL of the restaurants!!!!!
-the beach party meals were a bit hot at times
-GORGEOUS beach!!!!!!
-5$ for a taxi to town
-the staff rocks...super friendly!
-baby manta rays play in the waves....so cool!
-I highly recommend the Dreams resort!!!!!!!!!!! So much fun!!!!!!!
-I also highly recommend the extra $$ for the preferred tower....well worth it in extras!

Room Tip: gofer the preferred tower upgrade!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We choose this resort just by going off of reviews and it was a great pick! The resort was beautiful and the rooms were great. We stayed in a prefered ocean view suite with jacuzzi, highly recommended. The food was higher quality then i expected at all restaurants. The service from all staff was very friendly and genuine.
We got married at this resort and didn't have a single problem, everything went exactly as planned, they have a fantastic coordinator that is great at responding to emails and is highly organized. I would definitely go back to this resort in the future. Just the private beach alone is worth the trip.

Room Tip: preferred tower all the way!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!