“Not Gay Friendly” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
New All Inclusive Hotels
Ranked #7 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Diego, California
“Not Gay Friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Arrived and was not greeted as others were with champange. Stayed in the preferred tower. I gave the woman checking us in my drivers license, AAA card, iprefer card and credit card but that was not enough and she demanded more identification. I gave her my passport and then she demanded my tourist card. She demanded more identification and I told her enough and that I was prepared to stay somewhere else. We were finally checked in while two other staff sit around laughing at us thinking that the whole humilating process was funny. The room had a number of maintenace issues which I had to call to get corrected. After several days, the insults continued with someone from the hotel coming to our room and demanding to know how many people were in the room. We told her two and she left. The food ranged from very good to terrible. One day we had lunch at seaside and it was great. The next day the food was stale and terrible. The breakfast buffet was ok early in the moring but if you ate late the food was stale. They would leave the pancakes out for hours until they were hard as a rock. Many of the food items that should have been hot were cold and things that should have been cold were warm. Front desk staff needs more training.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (866)
McKinney, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

This was lovely older hotel. The landscaping was very lush and mature. The rooms were a little underwhelming in the older tower. We tried over and over again to upgrade to the new tower but it didn't work out. I know for next time to pay the premium for the upgraded room just for the bed quality. I am super picky about beds and if you read more than one of my reviews you will see that I always note the beds. I didn't like the beds in the older tower but I have heard the beds in the new tower are super plush.

The pool is small because this is an older hotel. But there is another pool around the corner from the main pool, you can soak up the sun without being bombarded by drunk 20 somethings. No offense intended to the possibly drunk 20 somethings who read this...I was one once too.

The food at the restaurants was very good and the turtle release was by far the best feature of the entire hotel. This was our third trip to Mexico and we did get mildly ill...not sure if it happened at the hotel or at the restaurant we ate at in Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: Pay for the new tower!!! You even get your own pool.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

From the moment I stepped off the bus I was impressed. We were greeted at the lobby with champagne (I even got 2 hehe). Check in was amazing, I asked if they could put me as high up as possible, I was upgraded from the 4th to the 10 floor :) The resort is gorgeous and staff is very friendly even without tips (I did tip as they deserved it). Special shout out to the bartender Carlos, he it so much fun!! I have nothing negative to say about this resort.

I would like to add Jose Guerra, Chief Concierge, impressed me the most. He is amazing and made this resort really stand out for me. I had a small issue with the guys who come to the beach with jetskies (not employed by this resort). As the issues has nothing to do with the resort I wont get into details however, Jose took care of everything personally, he delt with the guys for me. He is so kind and professional, just a pleasure to deal with!!! If you go to this resort and see him please tell him Cara says hi :)

All in all I would recommend this resort, I go down south every six months and have never posted a review before, this place really deserved it though.

Take care and happy vacationing!!

Room Tip: Try to get to the 10th floor, veiw is amazing!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Clayton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We have stayed twice now at Dreams and have had amazing service and beautiful veiw filled rooms. If you have the extra cash to spend, I suggest staying in their "preferred" tower. It is well worth the "extra's" that it provides you. They say that tips are included in the cost of the stay, but we found that tipping the bar,beach, room and resturant staff went a long way in assuring the VERY Best service. Although I would say that without the extra tipping the service would still be good. They have the best beach in the "romantic district" part of Puerto Villarta. The food was fantastic! All of the different resturants had fantastic menus, not your typical "all inclusive" meals by any definition. You can't go wrong staying here!

Room Tip: Stay in the preferred tower, lots of extra's. All of the preferred tower rooms have an ocean vi...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stayed at Dreams Puerto Vallarta March 24-31. Considering it was "Canadian Spring Break" the resort wasn't too busy and the service was excellent as usual.
We stayed in the Preferred Club Junior Suite. We arrived very early to the hotel (around 10am) and they immediately checked us in--to the EXACT same room as last year! We were quite delighted. Although this resort participates in the VACATION CLUB (timeshare sales) by AMResorts, we were never approached or bothered during our stay or during our previous stay the year before.

Again, the quality and variety of food was excellent. A few changes we did note were:

Buffet was closed for supper (which didn't bother us because we didn't really like the buffet)

The Mexican Party was cancelled due to a private group function on the beach--this was a bit diappointing for resort guests as they were not allowed to attend this event (live bands, buffet and fireworks) and there wasn't really anything else to do that particular evening other than "watch" these "non-resort" guests being pampered at our resort

Overall, it was a good trip, would definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Silverdale, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Dreams from April 18th through the 24th. My sister and her husband joined us the 19th, and surprised us by announcing that they were getting married on the beach there the 20th! I’m still telling everyone what a fantastic time we had, and we’re already planning to go back next year (if not sooner!).

We booked our room and flights online directly through Dreams. I e-mailed the resort with several questions regarding our transportation to the resort from the airport (included in our package), and received two replies, one even including a photo of what the Amstar representative would be wearing (they wear red Hawaiian shirts). The airport was a little overwhelming, but only because we’d never been there before. Now we know – keep walking, don’t make eye contact, and look for the Amstar person! But it really wasn’t bad. The representative got us right into a taxi and it was a fairly short ride (about 20 minutes) to the resort. Once we got there our luggage was immediately taken, and we were given glasses of champagne and cool citrus-scented towels – that was so nice! We didn’t have to wait at all, walked right up to the reception desk.

We had booked a deluxe room in the “Old Tower”, with a King-sized bed and a balcony. I had e-mailed ahead and requested a room on a higher floor (better views). Initially we were going to be on the 2nd floor, but when I mentioned my e-mail the gentleman ( really wish I could remember his name) was so accommodating when I asked him about it. He gave us a corner room on the 8th floor, and we were on our way. Our luggage was delivered about 10 minutes after we got to our room. Our room was clean and bright, the balcony was awesome, and the view was amazing.

I would like to note that we were not asked to upgrade our room (which I believe is because the resort was completely full the week we were there), but we were totally OK with that. We loved our room and hadn’t planned on upgrading even if it had been offered. We were never approached by any time-share people. We were told to go to the Apple office the morning after we arrived to arrange transportation back to the airport when we left, but there was no one there that morning. We kind of just let it slide for a couple of days, and then my husband went and handled it. He said the gentleman seemed a little put out that we didn’t come in earlier and so couldn’t take advantage of our “certificates”, but we weren’t interested in spa treatments or spending any extra money, so we kind of had a chuckle about it and had no problems with our trip back to the airport.

I’ve read a couple of not-so-good reviews about Dreams, and after being there am frankly surprised. All I can say is that in our experience, the room was clean, the maid service was great, the bed was SO comfortable, and the air conditioner worked fine. The staff was friendly and everyone greeted us when we walked by. We had great bartenders. Maybe once in awhile we had to wait a little bit for the beach or pool drink server to get around to us…but so what? I found the little beach bar charming, and went once or twice to get a drink when the beach got busy. Poolside if the service got slow (only happened one day, again, they were super busy); we just jumped into the pool and swam up to the bar! We got great drinks and great service. I found that tipping a buck a drink was very much appreciated.

We ate…and ate, and ate! We tried every restaurant (except Coco’s café…sadly we were too full when we’d walk by it to try it!). Each had its own charm, and we never waited more than a few minutes to be seated. The food was amazing. The waiters and waitresses were friendly and charming. We thought World Café was fantastic; we ate breakfast there nearly every day. We never saw any food that had been sitting out or that had flies on it at all. We had great waiters who brought us Bloody Marys and water and kept our coffee cups full.

The pool and beach have plenty of chairs, but of you’re looking for more than two chairs together with shade by the pool you should get there early. No worries, though…a couple of times we just waited in the pool or sat in pairs until 4 chairs became available. Some people played the “towel game”, saving chairs and being nowhere around, but it was never really an issue for us. The beach had plenty of chairs. We were never bothered by beach vendors. Several very polite gentlemen walked by showing purses, blankets, and jewelry. A simple “No thank you” and a smile and they didn’t ask again. The towels were nice and big. We tried all the pools and the adult hot tub. Loved them all. We met so many nice and fun people ("Hello" to Shirley & Co., our Canadian Friends!). The staff had activities going all day. It was fun to watch, or participate, depending on our mood. A couple of nights we ended up at the little sports bar and played pool, that was great.

The evening of my sister’s wedding was awesome. The photographer did a really great job, going back and forth between rooms to get pictures of the bride and the groom. Everything was organized and planned so well! My sister was stress-free and having fun. The ceremony was truly beautiful. There were just the 4 of us, but we were treated with as much consideration as if we were a large wedding party. And the two big wedding parties that we saw while we were there looked like they were having a BLAST!

All in all we had a relaxing, fun, wonderful time. Maybe this place isn’t as ritzy as some would like…for us, it was paradise in Mexico. We thought we got a fantastic deal for our money. We’ve spent much more on vacations and not had as good of a time.

Tips: I noticed the resort is much busier on Saturday and Sunday. My suggestion is to know this ahead of time. Get to the pool early if you want shaded chairs on those days. Know that there will be more kids around (although they never bothered us – the Explorer’s Club they have for kids seems fantastic. They kept those kids busy all day!). Mainly, remember that you’re on vacation…chill out, relax, slow down.

Also, we brought our own “Sippy Cups” - that way if we wanted ice water or soda we could just get our cups refilled at the bars. And – bring enough sunscreen! The one thing I was shocked at was paying $26 for sunscreen at the gift shop. Now we know, and will bring an extra bottle next time.

I know this review is ridiculously long, but I couldn’t help it. We loved this place, and will absolutely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for great ocean views.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Drepv, Quality Control at Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from sunny, warm Puerto Vallarta! It pleases me very much to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and to know that we played a significant role in making your sister’s wedding a memorable one. I am grateful to you for sharing your comments with future guests.
In addition to taking the time to send us these nice remarks, I sincerely appreciate you mentioning the different departments that made your stay special.

We sincerely thank you for choosing us as your vacation destination and hope to have the pleasure to serve you again in the near future.

It is a pleasure!
Esmeralda Alcala
Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This was my husband and my first experience at a Dreams Resort. We have travelled extensively to many other countries and stayed in everything from private villas to hotels to 5 star all-inclusives. Dreams PV was a fantastic resort and the food was second to none and will go down in our books as one of our favorites. The lack of curb appeal of the resort lobby was a little frightening, but the minute we got out of the bus we were greeted with a cool cloth to wipe away the dust and a glass of champagne. Our bags were whisked away to our rooms and we stood with mouths agape marveling at the view of the ocean. Curb appeal smurb appeal! We were hooked! We were staying in the Preferred Tower and have nothing but glowing comments to say about that experience. You may pay more to stay there, but the rooms and the service were worth every penny and our staff were extremely professional and courteous and anticipated our every need. The ambiance and privacy of the resort made for a perfect backdrop to a wonderful 10-day getaway. We were there with friends and the four of us made a day excursion to the other Dreams, approx. 30 minutes north of PV. Villa Magna was our first choice (until my friend compared the reviews on Trip Advisor!) and although their lobby was exquisite, that's where their benefits over our resort ended. Yes, their resort was newer, but the grounds were overwhelmingly concrete and the resort created a perfect wind tunnel that could almost blow your swimsuit off! We have those winds in Saskatchewan ... and that's what I don't want to deal with every day on holidays! Their food venues were very disappointing and had none of the quaint settings that our similar restaurants did. Having been to both resorts, we were exceptionally thrilled that we were in the Dreams we were! We seemed to hit wedding week, though and had as many as 4 weddings every day at our resort! In our tower, the wedding celebrations weren't very loud (we were also on the 20th floor so I'm sure that helped), but we met some people who paid the upgrade and switched from the other tower to ours as the wedding music and revelry was so loud they couldn't hear their TV even with their patio door closed. The celebrations were shut down promptly at 11 pm but if you wanted a nice quiet dinner at the Oceana or some quiet time in your room you might be disappointed! We loved the Oceana and Seaside Grill and appreciated the fact that you didn't need to pre-book a dinner time. Only once did we experience a line up and they gave us a buzzer that we took with us while we sat at one of the bars. We only had to wait 15 minutes to get in.

The only complaint we had was on our final night. We always save our favorite restaurant for our final night and we loved, loved, loved the Portofino. We ate at the Portofino Restaurant earlier in our 10-day stay. We had a very pleasant dining experience the first time we were there and had a fabulous waiter who recommended dishes to complement what we had already ordered. We were looking forward to celebrating our last night at Dreams with our two friends at the Portofino. We hadn't eaten all day in order to save our appetites for the magnificent menu we knew would be awaiting us. We placed our order of appetizers, soup and main course with the waiter. Fifteen minutes later, the head waiter came over to our table, introduced himself and proceeded to read off our order selections to the four of us, much to our confusion and disbelief - loud enough to draw attention of the guests at the surrounding tables - and finished by saying he thought we ordered too much food and he would not be pleased if he had to throw out HIS food. We were stunned. Not only did we did not order in excess, but even if we HAD, it was not his place to question our choices in that tone, nor was his approach acceptable. His conduct, however well intended (we hate throwing out food or the food wastage at buffets), was in exceptional poor taste and seriously lacked professionalism. Our growing embarrassment was compounded by the fact that we were now the center of attention for many of our neighboring diners who were privy to the list of food we had ordered which sounded far worse when it was read off item by item. We each ordered one appetizer with the exception of the bruschetta where I ordered 4 slices of bruschetta rather than the single portion. We each ordered a soup and an entree. No dessert. Having been at the restaurant previously and knowing the portion sizes, the men ordered a double order each of the shrimp and scallop meal (3 shrimp + 2 scallops) as a side dish to go along with portion of steak and one of the men ordered a pasta dish. We women ordered the shrimp/scallop meal with a side of pasta. As we love seafood we each asked if we could get an couple of extra shrimp with our meals. Was this an excess meal selection given the fact we hadn't eaten all day? I think not. As 50 year olds we did not pay the price to stay at this Dreams Resort to be treated like children and to have our selections questioned like we were gluttonous hogs. We felt pressured into taking items off our selection and my friend and to appease the inquisition of the head waiter, we cancelled one of our pasta dishes. After the head waiter left, we sat in silence, absorbing the spectacle that had just occurred and endured the behind the hand conversations that were going on at the neighboring tables as a result of the interrogation we had received from the waiter. Needless to say, our appetites were gone and our celebration took on a very unpleasant feel. It took everything in our power to not get up and leave. A burger via room service sounded better than what we had been so looking forward to. Our last night was ruined and our celebration mute. We were humiliated. As our course selections arrived, we were afraid to even leave a morsel behind for fear of incurring the attention of the head waiter. I felt compelled to even consume the decorative greenage on my plate but felt like throwing up every bite. What made the whole thing even more dispicable is that not only did we not get the extra shrimp we had asked for, we were given only one scallop rather than the two scallops that were to have come with the meal. After our torturous meal came to an end, the waiter came back to our table and asked if we wanted to see the dessert menu. Our tone of voice left him with no mistake that we were less than happy. The head waiter came to our table and had the gaul to ask if he could get anything else for us. Our friend asked if he noticed nothing was wasted and the head waiter said "Yes, I'm proud of you." That was the last straw for us. We were past the point of being disgusted and told him we thought his approach was deplorable and disrepectful and we left. The whole episode was unnecessary, unprofessional and shameless.

Don't get us wrong, we loved our trip. We loved Dreams - until that point. We had even considered booking the same trip for our son and soon-to-be daughter in law and after that experience it left us seriously questioning our choice. I can't imagine how devastating it would be if our children were treated in the same way that we were. It was unconscionable and unforgiveable. I had to give myself a couple of weeks before I could write this review and it still bothers me to think of how disrepectfully we were treated and how the actions of one small man could taint what was otherwise a perfect getaway. May he never do that to another guest and may Dreams PV take note of this exception to otherwise stellar service.

The photos from the Portofino Restaurant are definitely NOT going into my scrapbook!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for the comments regarding your resent stay. I am disappointed to know that your last night with us was not as enjoyable and that we did not meet your expectations.
About the attitude of our staff, I can assure you that we will be taking any corrective action that may be necessary to improve the service in these areas of our resort. Our goal is to have all of our guest leave here completely satisfied.

I thank you for having chosen our resort and hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

It is a pleasure!
Esmeralda Alcala

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!