“An Excellent Vacation - thank you Sugar Ray” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta

You added Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad S/N Km. 3.5 | Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
BC
“An Excellent Vacation - thank you Sugar Ray”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

Our family of 23, ages 7 to 72, all loved Dreams PV. It has by far the best location in all of Puerto Vallarta (we've stayed at the Riu Palace, Riu Jalisco, Velas Vallarta, and Dreams Villamagna) and the private cove with private beach is fabulous. Every room is ocean front and the sound of the waves hitting the beach truly makes you feel like you are in paradise.

The food in the a la cartes is high end and delicious. It may take longer than the buffet, but the wait is worth it to eat at the Seaside or Oceana. The highlight was the dinners set up on the pool deck of the beach - eating under the stars next to the ocean is priceless!

Entertainment team
The staff were awesome, in particular "Sugar Ray" from the activities team! He made sure each of us had a fun time around the pool, on the jungle walk,playing volleyball in the pool, kayaking, on the ocean trampoline/survivor event and on the beach for streching! Sugar was able to hit the perfect balance of entertainment and activity without bothering the guests who wanted to simply relax. The wait staff also did a great job, especially when challenged by the arrival of 23 diners without a reservation!

Rooms
We stayed in the older tower which has grand beds, linens and views, but it does not have the spacious walk in showers and glamour expected of a 5 star resort. This really isn't a problem when you spend your days outside though! Room service was prompt and served at the right temerature.

Grounds
The beach is kept spotless by the staff every morning and the vendors are low key, so nothing takes away from enjoying the ocean at Dreams PV. The staff also do an excellent job of maintaining the pool and all the lush, lovely grounds. Look for the bananas and pineapples growing along the walkways! The main pool isn't as grand as other 5 star resorts and the deck area is limited to one side of the pool given the limited real estate between the jungle and the beach that this property sits on. However it was no problem for us to get loungers and we all played in the pool most of the day (unless we were out boogie boarding in the almost overwhelming waves!)

Spa...
The spa is fabulous and we were able to get a great deal on massages which took place outdoors above the restaurant so we could enjoy the lovely ocean breeze and hear the waves. The fitness center is popular and in good shape. The tennis courts are excellent and the instructors lots of fun. We were also able to get a great deal one day on scuba lessons in the pool, so my 9 year old daughter had fun doing that. Be sure to ask for the week's specials before you buy!

Even though we usually try a new hotel every year, we may return to Dreams PV in 2012 because it really is the best of the best!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dreamspv, Quality Control at Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
Thank you for your excellent review about Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa; it was a real pleasure hosting you.

We'll make sure to pass your nice remarks to our Food & Beverage, Entertainment (specially to Sugar Ray), Public Areas and Spa staff our main goal is to create memories that will last a lifetime in all our guest and is always nice to know that we are on the right path.

We thank you, again, for your kind words and hope to host you again in this your home away from home.

It is a pleasure!
Esmeralda Alcala
Quality Control

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
Rochester, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

We just returned from our third visit it to Dreams Puerto Vallarta, March 25 to Apr 1st. This was our third stay at Dreams PV and the first with our 8 year-old son. We stayed in the non-preferred tower this time. We have stayed in the preferred section before, but decided the extra $130 per night upgrade cost would not be worth it.
Since our last stay in April 2009 not a lot has changed, except they have added a small coffee shop, a perfect addition to the resort. The service remains exceptional through out the entire resort except for the maid service. This is the one issue we had with the resort during our stay. Despite being contacted by the concierge to inquire about our time preference for maid-service (11 am), the service was completely random. They were knocking on our door at 8:30 one day, the next day it was after 4 pm, both times we were in the room and thus the room didn't get cleaned. When the room was cleaned (5 of 7 days), they did an exceptional job. We were not in the room often during the day and felt we gave them ample opportunity to clean the room during the day. Turn-down service was also odd, most days they would be at our door about 6 pm; mind you some of the restaurants don't open until 6:30, so they usually caught us getting ready for dinner, thus no turndown service.
The food and drink quality is good; the Seaside Grille was our favorite for dinner and Oceana for breakfast, although the buffet for breakfast is also exceptional. El Patio (Mexican food) has the best food, but you can't beat the ocean and sunset view at the Seaside Grille. We did not eat at Portofino this time because it is an adult only restaurant and it is the basement. They need to move Portofino back upstairs where the sports bar is and where it once was. The bar service, pool service and beach were fine; I am not sure what the expectations of people who have complained about it are. The pool and beach service was pretty good and someone would be by every 15-20 minutes. The pool bar was slow at times, but this was related to the large amount of guests, i.e. spring breakers, that surrounded the bar the most of the week while ordering blended drinks.
We also went into the downtown area a couple of times. The Malecon at night is fantastic, lots of people and activity. The food and shopping are great too. We also went on the Los Veranos canopy tour and this was excellent.
We probably will not return to Dreams PV, not because of the resort, but it is time to find a new place and a new town. We will definitely consider another Dreams branded resort.

Woodstock, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

I have traveled to Monaco, France, The Virgin Islands and places in between, however, no other hotel or resort gives their guests this great of quality service, delicious cuisine and a wonderful view from each room in the resort. We had our wedding on Saturday March 26th and included 28 guests in the celebrations. Each one of our guests had a hard time saying goodbye to the beauty that is Dreams. At first our guests were nervous about flying out for our wedding and spending the money to travel and stay at dreams, but every single one of them (including us) learned that the All-Inclusive Package (standard for every guest) is the best deal any of us have ever received. The cost of traveling was such an incredible value and all of us felt we got our money's worth and beyond. My mother said the only thing they don't do is carry you around the resort....Everything else is done for you, prepaid and the service/employees were the nicest I've ever met.

We cannot wait to go back. The town is a short drive away and they locals are just as friendly...do not worry about the scary stories you hear about Mexico here, just watch out for the sales pitch :) Enjoy your time!!!

[since I don't have room to mention below about scoring a better hotel room, I wanted to mention that all the rooms have an ocean view]

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade when you get there ^
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

we were there on march 9th 2011 with our friends we had a great time ...service was very good ..DANIAL WAS VERY helpful .very nice man !!! all the staff were great !!!we will go back soon ...thanks to all of you to make us very happy!!!!!!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

INTRO:

Family of 4 (kids 12 & 3).

We stayed at Dreams PV. Overall I would rate this all-inclusive: 3.5 to 4 out of 5 stars. Many reviews I’ve read claimed the service was high-quality, but I thought it was average. For an all-inclusive I thought it would be better. I’ve been to one other AI (Sandals) to compare. You will read the rest of my review and notice a lot of negative points. DON’T LET THIS DISCOURAGE YOU. These are just my personal observations. Our overall VACATION was 4.5 (maybe 5) out of 5 stars. We absolutely had a great time and it was one of our best vacations ever. This is our first visit to Puerto Vallarta and if you like to explore outside of the resort (like me) while having the conveniences/benefits of an AI, I think Dreams is great because it is only 5 minutes (cab ride) south of the Downtown/Old Town area. I felt the best part about our vacation was constantly visiting the local scene and its small/charming town AND still have a beach/pool at your convenience that you would not have to share with the public.

RESTAURANTS:

Service is BELOW average. Hostesses at World Café and Seaside Grill seemed crabby. Waiters at all restaurants were barely attentive. We were always looking for them to refill our glasses. The problem is that they do table set-ups and clean-up work (there are no busboys to do that for them). Without bussers, the wait service is compromised. Sometimes the host/hostess would get us drinks.

I’m from a “foody” city. The food at Dreams is average to below-average. I’m not going to go too much into detail on dishes/taste, but here is some info on the restaurants…

* World Café (beachside/buffet): I love to eat breakfast, but breakfast here is pretty much the same tiresome food every morning. We ate lunch here once and it wasn’t anything special. They use this restaurant for a few of their “themed-night” dinners.
* Oceana (beachside/a la carte): Breakfast - food was lukewarm and I found a hair in my eggs. Dinner – I enjoyed the grouper dish. Menus are large/heavy and difficult to read in the low-lighting especially since it’s in cursive writing.
* Seaside Grill (beachside/a la carte): I enjoyed the seafood as it tasted fresh for both lunch and dinner. I also had a ribeye steak for dinner one night; it was nothing special. But we did enjoy the atmosphere with the sunset. Also, Jose our server was the best waiter we had throughout our stay there- he was the only one who did a great job waiting.
* El Patio (Mexican/ a la carte) – I liked the loud atmosphere. They have a large wait area in the front with a bar. However, the service was extremely poor. We waited a long time for our food. Our server struggled with service and was running around a lot. I think he was new. He dropped 2 newly prepared dishes by our table (it wasn’t ours). I decided to opt-out of eating a Mexican dish b/c I felt like I was going to get disappointed. So I ordered their Fried Shrimp with almond sauce. The portion was small, but I was content because I had a big lunch earlier. The dish was surprisingly decent though.
* Portofino’s – We have kids so we did not attend.
* Barefoot Grill – This is an outdoor beachside counter-service/bar shack. I only got drinks from this place.
* Coco Café – This is counter-service specializing in pastries and some breakfast items I think.

“THEMED-NIGHT” DINNERS:

* Mexican Fiesta (Friday @ Pool area) - it was “ehhh” (being in Mexico they couldn’t do better?).
* Italian Nite (Saturday) – We did not attend.
* International Night (Sunday @ World Café) – DO NOT GO. It’s a joke! I would rather have Old Country Buffet here in the US… serious!
* Italian Night (Monday) – We did not attend.
* Caribbean Night (Tuesday on the Beach) – We did not attend. We had dinner out of the resort. We stopped by when we returned to the resort just to check it out. It was packed. Probably because there were only 2 other restaurants opened that night.
* Brazilian Night (Wednesday @ World Café) – We did not attend. However, we passed by. Do not go - its a joke. They had only 1 section of food in the buffet haha. Unbelievable!
* Chef Night Party (Thursday @ Pool area) – We went out into town to eat dinner. But still attended the Chef Night so that we can watch the “International Show” entertainment. I tried out some dishes and as expected, the food wasn’t any different from other themed-night dinners.

NIGHTLY ENTERTAINMENT:

We only attended 2 of these shows (both of which lasted 30-45 minutes). On Sunday we went out of the resort and visited the Malecon. Don’t miss Sunday nights at the Malecon! Its bustling with street entertainment, locals, etc. By the time we got back 11:30ishpm to the resort, Casino Night was just finishing up and I stopped by to check it out and thought it was cheesy. Here is the rest of their entertainment schedule…

* Friday 8:30pm - Mexican Show at Pool area
* Saturday 9:00pm - Comedy Show at Pool area / Live Cuban Band at Lobby Bar (10:00pm)
* Sunday 8:30pm - Casino Night at Ballroom
* Monday 8:30pm - Karaoke Night at Pool area
* Tuesday 8:30pm - Caribbean Show at Beach/Pool area
* Wednesday 8:30pm - Fire Show at Pool area
* Thursday 8:30pm - International Show at Pool area

BARS:

They need more bartenders. Bartenders are always struggling to get drinks. I did enjoy the list of cocktails they had. Some drinks were watered-down, but it didn’t bother me… just get more or have them double up on the rum.

PREFERRED TOWER ROOM:

We loved our room which had 2 double beds. The rooms in the preferred tower are perfect for families with young kids because of its spaciousness (699 sq ft). It comes with a small living area and a large balcony that runs wall-to-wall. The sliding doors for the balcony can be opened at the center; And when you do that, the outside feels like an extension of our room. It had beautiful views of the beach (there was a slight obstruction from palm trees, but it didn’t bother much). I feel bad for the room next to us (I bet their obstruction was worse).

I like how modern the room/bathroom was. The living area has a modern look: a section couch and 2 smaller chairs with a wood/marble coffee table. There is some nice art at the door entrance and also above the couch. There is one large modern sink in the bathroom that is shared by 2 faucets on each side. The room also comes with the following: cable tv, dvd player, electronic safe, weight scale, clock/ipod dock, coffee maker, fully-stocked mini fridge, free wifi, 24hr room service.

Housekeeping was average. It was kind of an inconvenience that they came at different times. We decided to just call the concierge when we went out into town to make sure housekeeping came to our room.

Some minor flaws in our room:

* Lighting above the desk/table area did not work.
* Lighting in closet armoire did not work.
* Bulb outside room door blew out towards the end of the week.
* One of our beds had a dip across the whole middle section. It felt like I was sleeping in one of those Craftmatic Adjustable Beds.
* The shower has a swinging door, but the door has been opened so much there it doesn’t fully close. The shower also has a leakage at the corner, so there is a minor water leak into the toilet area.
* Low pressure shower-head, but having a separate shower hose made up for it.

BEACH/POOL:

Yes, the waves can be a little rough like you’ve probably read elsewhere. However, we realized later on that the waves are calmer late morning to early afternoon (11:00am–3:30pm). Also, the waves are rougher in the shallow area about 10 yards. The waves start forming I’d say 20 yards out. And then beyond that its pretty calm. If you are able to, don’t be afraid to venture out to just a little deeper water which is calmer (not recommended for young kids/elders though). The beach area in front of the older tower is a little rocky so be careful. However, me and my 12yr old thought that area was perfect for bodyboarding as the waves are stronger. Fyi, we saw a couple of sea-creatures (stingray swam 2 feet from me; and a blow fish washed on shore – I have pic as proof), but it didn’t bother us too much.

We thought the pool was great. We stayed at only 1 pool; the main one. You will read a lot of reviews saying that the pools are small. I was perfectly content with the size. I thought it was nice having the entertainment crew hanging around and music always playing in the background.

FYI, people get up early morning to claim their beach huts or poolside lounge chairs. We learned in order to get ours, we had to followed suit. On our last day the staff removed everyone’s belongings and brought them to the entertainment center for owners to pick up. I had no problem with it, but it raised a ruckus with other guests.

The staff did a great job cleaning the beach every morning. They would rake, pick up garbage, fix chairs, etc. Pools were cleaned every morning. I even saw a worker scrubbing the walls one day during the afternoon. Note- by the end of the day, the pool may get filthy with sand from inconsiderate people who literally walk into the pool from the beach without washing themselves… ridiculous.

KID’S CLUB:

We visited one morning to gauge their services. After looking around and talking to the coordinator, we didn’t feel comfortable leaving our 3 year old. Not sure if I would leave him if he were older too. Didn’t see too many participation from other guests. Our kids did take part in a few activities that they had at the main pool area. The entertainment crew was associated with these activities. We also did the scavenger hunt with our 3 year old (which consisted of me mostly carrying him around lol).

CONCLUSION:

I picked this resort based on my research TripAdvisor. Overall I’m happy with it, but cannot rate it any more that 3.5-4 stars. Would I come back to this resort? It depends.

Without kids… No… I think if we ever visit PV again (without kids), we would stay around the Old Town area (around Olas Altas Street). Based on our interests, we want to entrench ourselves with the local scene. I’ll be fine without the beach/pool next time around.

With kids… Maybe… I like room, the pool, the beach, and the proximity of the resort to the town. However, the price I paid for this resort makes me cringe.

In the end, I am completely happy with my vacation, I LOVE PUERTO VALLARTA, and cannot believe I wrote this long of a review.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

We arrived just yesterday after an 8 day stay. I gave this hotel an excellent rating for so many reasons. The location, beach, weather and the food services are simply wonderful. The most outstanding is the staff at all levels and various departments, they are so caring, smiling and extremely helpful, to summarize they do everything they can to make your stay a most memorable one. The food services and choices are so varied and we really enjoyed each meal. One can easily if they so desire criticize of course no place is perfect, but let me tell you as far as vacation choices are concerned this is a great choice indeed. To be honest if I wanted to say something negative I simply would be choosing things here and there which in my case are so insignificant and in no way would ruin a holiday.

Ontario, CANADA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

We did not stay in the “preferred” tower, on the 8th floor. Our room had a balcony, was quite large, with a very comfortable king size bed and lots of fluffy pillows. There was also a mini frig, tv, coffee table and small sofa in the room. Large double closet contained more pillows, iron and ironing board, hair dryer and in room safe (no extra charge) The bathroom was a nice size, although I was a little surprised that the bathtub (YES—the BATHTUB) was tiled. There are 2 terry-cloth house coats in the room for your use. The bathroom is stocked with soap, shampoo and body lotion 3 bath towels, 3 hand towels and facecloths. There is incense in the room which effectively eliminates the damp smell in the room (if you even notice it!) ALL rooms have an ocean view. There is no free wifi, and internet access was pricey. There is a turn down service at night, and you are left with a bottle of water beside the bed, a paper that describes the next day’s activities, and (sometimes) 2 chocolates. There are NO WRISTBANDS. 
I used the Spa Facilities for a mini facial/massage, and found it to be quite lovely.
The beach is quite private, there are a few vendors who leave you alone with a simple “no thank you”. As long as people do not hoard chairs, there are enough for everyone. During our stay, there was a guy collecting people’s belongings if you left your chair for more than 20 minutes. Later, the time allotment was changed to 1 hour, and this was spelled out on our daily activities notice. We were never able to get chairs at any of the pools except the “main” pool or on the beach, as they were always occupied or “saved”. During the week that we were at this resort, they replaced all of the loungers on the beach.
You do not have to worry about Towel Cards but the problem with that was that when guests were finished laying by the pool or on the beach, they simply left their towels on their chairs – you couldn’t tell if the chairs were saved or not. We always returned our towels when we were finished with them.
Theme nights for dinner are announced on the activity notice that is in your room the night before. The hotel staff sets up tables around the pool or on the beach, depending on the theme: Chef’s night is on the pool deck, Pirate Night is on the beach. The food at the buffet is ample and the presentations at the a la cartes are wonderful. You couldn’t ask for more or better. You might have to wait a little, depending on what time you arrive at the a la cartes, since there are no reservations. They give you a “pager” that will alert you when your table is ready. The bar stock is terrific as well, and the waiters are always ready to deliver your drink to you, whether you are by the pool or on the beach, or at the bar.
The evening entertainment could be better, but “you can’t have everything”
As for the Time Share guy, Gus, he is always pleasant to chat with, has some great card tricks, and as long as you are cordial and polite, he is quite an entertaining guy. If you’re not interested in attending their presentation, then it’s up to you to make that clear.
We were very pleasantly surprised by this hotel, and we just might return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!