“Good, but management changing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Puerto Vallarta

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Puerto Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad KM 8.5, Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48390, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
3 x 2 Promotion
Ranked #67 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
NY
“Good, but management changing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

As of May 1, the InterContinental Presidente will become a Best Western Hotel. Some of the management and staff are staying on, but some may not. We were there as the hotel was getting ready to change hands. That aside, we thought the staff was terrific while we were there. The waiters were very friendly and accommodating. The beach is lovely - we saw whales off in the distance in the morning. The pool was also very nice. We'd go back, but we'll have to check future revues to see how the hotel operates as a Best Western.

Room Tip: Be sure to stay on floors 6 and above for the best view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Rockford, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This hotel sits next door to the condo unit we rent for a month each spring. This year my sister stayed there for 3 nights. We were excited to be able to use the pool, workout room and tennis courts. The hotel is beautiful, the beach private, the staff more concerned with the Mexican visitors at the time and the bell men Oscar, OVER THE TOP!!!! I give it a mixed review since I didn't stay inthe room only because we were not treated like a guest when talked to by pool staff nor were we "served" like the Mexican visitors, even the folks with day passes were waited on and treated better!
Again, Oscar the bell men, OVER THE TOP in kindness!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mason, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The service was AWFUL!! I was there for 3 nights right before Easter & if you weren't Mexican FORGET IT!! I was treated like a second class citizen yet charged full rates!! I'd cleared with the front desk that my sister & nephew (staying in condos next door) could use the tennis courts & sit with me at the pool but while sunning & playing we were questioned by the towel guy as to who they were & who I was (I'd given him the 2 required towel cards just an hour earlier- only hotel guests can get them!). When I tried to complain about my treatment I was just brushed off by the gal at the front desk. Even the bellhop was more concerned with his Mexican guests than with me. I was there for the convenience of being with my family but I will not stay there again. The hotel is lovely but not the staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Jillma224,

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
chicago, il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was our first time staying here, and we loved it. We had high expections for the Presidente and it really lived up. Lovely hotel!
We used to come to PV yearly, and wouldn't think of staying anywhere but the old Camino Real (honeymooned there). Then it was bought out about 10 yrs ago and turned into an all inclusive (Dreams)- which does not appeal to us. We did not return to PV since, but that's OK because we explored many other great areas in Mexico.
Then, I happened to see a great package deal for the Presidente. It had a similar look, feel, private beach and secluded location south of town in the mountains like the Camino (not in the crowded-looking main hotel zone to the north).
What a great choice-Everything at this hotel was pretty close to perfect in most catagories, from our standpoint. Got major kudos from my husband for my travel planning.
Only drawback I can think of- It is a little far from town but the seclusion, pretty mountain setting, private beach was well worth the trade off to us. Getting into town did not turn out to be a problem, and we did so often by bus (as reviewers recommended).
Room- we stayed in just the standard room. I’m glad we did not pay for the upgrade as the standard was very spacious, airy, and comfortable with all the amenities such as hair dryer, iron, safe, mini fridge, coffee maker and ample storage. Loved the balcony and spectacular view (6th floor BTW). Husband would have liked wifi in room, I'm just as glad he didn't have it (but you could get it in lobby, beach, restaurant, etc.). Didn't need AC while there so can't comment on its workings.
Beach- private-feeling and one of best in PV, so I hear, and I can believe it. The water can be rough at times- typical for any Pacific beach but I was able to snorkel by rocks on either end when it was calmer.
Service/staff- Attentive, warm and friendly as is always our experience in Mexico. Staff are always to be seen hard at work painting and sprucing the place. Well maintained.
Food- Italian food/pasta does not appeal to me while in Mexico, so we never ate in the Italian restaurant. It is also higher priced, more formal in feel, and all enclosed up on the 5th floor which did not appeal, either. Therefore, we only ate in the Frutas y Flores restaurant which is more open air and basically at beach level- overlooking it. The prices there were reasonable, especially for a hotel restaurant. We enjoyed breakfasts the most- large selection of traditional Mexican breakfast dishes on the menu, plus your typical omelettes, etc. Motulenos is one of my favorites and the one they do here is by far the best I've ever had. Dinner menu is more limited. We only had dinner at the hotel twice, preferring to dine in town usually. I was impressed with the quality of the beef and fish, and all were skillfully cooked temperature-wise, but the caper sauce on my fish was very oversalty and my husbands filet steak had an oddly sweet sauce that we did not care for, but the steak itself was good. They seem to do best when sticking to the Mexican specialities such as the fajitas, which were very tasty.
In sum, I think this hotel would be a decent value even at their full price, and if you luck into a discount, so much the better.
With all due respect to the previous reviewer, a vetran Intercontinental customer, I think it is perhaps not fair to compare this hotel with an Intercontinental in the US, Canada or Europe. I understand the need to protect a prestige brand, but I think most people recognize that the situation is a bit different with infrastructure, etc. in Mexico and perhaps a decrease in tourism and popularity of all inclusives has hurt the occupancy rate, as he stated. I had a similar experience to the reviewer in that they seemed to have low occupancy while we were there. Although I don’t like crowds, I want this hotel to do well and stay in business (but not as an AI) so I can return, whatever brand it is. Would love to bring the extended family.
In any case, the overall atmosphere at the PI is pretty darn incredible at a fraction of what you would pay at an Intercontinental in the US, even if a few details are sometimes not up to par. And maybe we lucked out because in our experience all details were great-linens were pristine and shower temp/pressure was good, although admittedly you had to fiddle a little to get right temp but no big deal. All condidered, you could not even get your morning coffee at the Chicago Intercont. for what you pay for a whole breakfast here. Nor could you stay at the Howard Johnsons in Chicago for what we paid . And needless to say, it's snowing and crappy in Chicago right now.
Tip- There is a little store in the Girasol condo building (next door) where snacks, drinks and even some sundries such as sand shovel and pail sets, even games can be purchased. Girasol's restaurant overlooks the beach and has a lively happy hour, 2 for 1, from 6-7pm. It is Canadian retiree heaven- older crowd of course, but they were nice and a lot of fun. Had dinner there once and fish and beef we ordered were not the quality of the Presidente's (although bigger menu selection and prices a bit lower, so probably fine for burgers, etc). Oh, and live Mexican music on Mondays.
If you like street markets or seeing the local expat scene, go into town (romantic zone) Saturday morning. Crowded, sensory overload, but interesting people watching, craft, art, produce booths, etc.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Castlegar, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

First stay for us, the staff were so welcoming, a fantastic group of people, accomodation and food were excellent. Quiet location, not far from the Romantica Zone, Mismaloya (Los Arcos), Botanical Garden, Adventure tours ect. Well worth staying here, enjoy!
And to all the staff a huge "Thank You" from Patrick et Brenda!

Room Tip: From the 4th floor up, great ocean views!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This hotel and its staff provide one of the most amazing and memorable experiences one can have while traveling overseas. From the breathtaking ocean views in each room, to the swim up bar, fabulous food and drinks, and impeccable service, we could not have been more pleased. Oscar, the bell hop, was friendly, courteous, and incredibly helpful. He made wonderful suggestions for outdoor adventures (any of the Vallarta Adventures tours are amazing) to check out during our stay and provided excellent recommendations for local restaurants that served authentic Mexican cuisine (Hint: If you like seafood, you simply must try Tony's/La Choza which is a few minutes up the street from the hotel). All in all, we had an incredible time and are counting down the days until our next visit to the Presidente Intercontinental.

Room Tip: I would suggest booking a room above the fifth floor, as they have the best, most unobstructed views...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was our second 1 week stay at the hotel. The staff and service is beyond many 5-star hotels. You can not beat the location, natural beauty nor the good value of this hotel. However, given we frequent the InterContinental chain for it's consistent hotel quality, this particular property either needs a significant capital improvement plan or immediately remove the InterContinental branding from the hotel. If I were IHG, I would be sending my brand protection team to this location to determine what branding might better suit a hotel in this physical condition. We were fortunate to have our basic issues resolved (linens, etc.) but the staff can't help if showers are plastic insets, hot/cold water mixers don't work or take 15-minutes to reach a human temperature. This hotel has high level corporate issues not related to on-site staff nor management. Likely, all problem areas with the hotel are related to it's apparent low level of occupancy creating a shortage of funds to keep the property and it's amenities up to InterContinental standards. Although I understand the value proposition this hotel offers, it should NOT be an InterContinental as it will loose regular guests like us remaining loyal to the brand.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Adrian S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Thank you again for staying with us and for your continued loyalty to our brand and hotel.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!