“Rest, relaxation and tranquility” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Puerto Vallarta

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Puerto Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Barra de Navidad KM 8.5, Zona Hotelera Sur, Puerto Vallarta 48390, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
3 x 2 Promotion
Ranked #67 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Manhattan, Kansas
“Rest, relaxation and tranquility”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I arrived via Air, the hotel is located about 45 minutes away by taxi. The airport taxistas will try to gouge you at the taxi stand but negotiate with them and you can get it significantly lower than their first offer.

Arriving to the hotel was an adventure as they are still working on the road to the hotel once you get passed downtown and there are potholes that could probably fit entire cars, though the taxi driver maneuvered through the curvy road like an expert.

I should start this review with mentioning that I picked this hotel because of the distance between it and town, it is located about 8.5km (5 miles) from downtown. Town is easily accesible by a taxi ride ~100 pesos or by a convenient bus that has a stop across the road from the main entrance.

I wanted to be away from it all in a nice resort. I am not usually one to stay at an all-inclusive resort and prefer to just get a nice room. ( I did find out they offer an all-inclusive package, but read the fine print as it does not include high-end liquors)

At the hotel: Check-in was speedy and I was upgrade to a nice Jr. Suite, which had a Jacuzzi tub in the room, I did not try to use the tub.

The room was at a nice temperature since it was hot and muggy outside. I was able to control the temperature low enough to freeze at night.

The staff was incredible by the second day everyone knew my name, this could be because I was there between two busy holiday and during the majority of my stay they only had five rooms occupied. THIS WAS VERY NICE.

The beach has to be one of the best, if not the best, in Puerto Vallarta, it is secluded and is only shared with a pair of condos to either side of the hotel. I only saw one vendor while there and he was a very nice man (Alfonso).

As a previous reviewer mentioned they have a turtle sanctuary! I saw the baby turtles and had the opportunity to release them at night!!!

Food was great in the mornings and lunch. Dinner was hit or miss for me but that might have been what I ordered. The pool bar was nice, the bartenders, Lamberto and Fernando were great!

I used the Spa services one day, priced reasonably and located on the first floor.

I also used the Gym, unfortunately the treadmill was broken the entire time I was there and for some reason the bikes were not plugged in so they were not functioning either... The free-weight and Life Fitness machine worked as they should.

All in all a great stay, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a restful, relaxed vacation.

thanks to:
Gricelda, Lamberto, Carlos, Fernando, Cecar, Roberto, and Rogelio.

Room Tip: The lobby is actually on the 5th floor. Upper floor rooms 7-10 are the best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Chicago IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed only a few days as we traveled to another city but we were pleasantly surprised at the beautiful and immuculate location, beautiful seaside view, crystal clear pools, friendly staff and delicious food at Fruitas y Flores. Also a special treat for me is they are a turtle sanctuary and have a nursery. I wished they had shared that information because I would have asked to be woken up in the early morning when the turtles came to lay their eggs. I got to spend time with the biologist who was caring for the freshly hatched turtles and burying eggs in the nursery for protection. We weren't going to be there when they did their release of the turtles in the evening but wished I was. The staff know you by name and even noticed we had left our car lights on. It was very very relaxing time for us...a pleasure and we would definitely return.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
City by the Bay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

No help from managment after our ac in our room stopped working after numerous calls with out any call backs we decided to move to the shearton. Stay away from this place all they care about is your money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

If you’re thinking about staying at this Presidente Intercontinental in Puerto Vallarta I’d certainly recommend it. I was just there for 15 days and was both rejuvenated and sorry to leave. I have seen where others on this site have mentioned needed renovations – I noticed no signs of wear – I am wondering if those people voicing opinions were ready to pay 5-Star pricing as the value I received for the dollar at this location was high; I will go back.
I am more of a Bed and Breakfast person as hotels seem to lack personality; they seem to offer no feeling of personal welcome. As Mexico is not well known for such accommodation I opted to take my chances with a hotel in the hopes that I’d be lucky. I was. Management was so accommodating - it was the best hotel service I have experienced; staff on the front desk, in the restaurant and in my room were gracious and respectful at all times.
This location is seven miles south of the town of Puerto Vallarta and has a distinctive Mexican feel about it as opposed to a more chain-like hotel. The Botanical Garden (world class) and town of El Tuito are close by (less than an hour drive) – El Tuito will give you a real glimpse into rural Mexico.
The town of Puerto Vallarta is a 100 peso cab ride away. It has a boardwalk and all manner of restaurants and markets to buy mementos for yourself or gifts for those at home. I took an extra piece of luggage for purchases and I needed it.
The food was varied and if you have dietary needs (I am lactose intolerant) they will prepare delicious food you can enjoy. I could hardly wait to get up in the morning to my coffee, papaya and tropical juices.
Lastly it’s about the water! They have a great pool but I am an ocean/lake swimmer. I was apprehensive as I perceived an undertow and as I’m no Olympian I was nervous. They gave me a life-preserver and my first swim was an hour and a half (as it turns out you don’t need the life preserver but this way I went further and stayed in the water longer!) – the water is clean, warm and wonderful – if you want to get muscles moving in comfort this is the place to go. Then there are the sunsets to serenade you in the evening. I’m beginning to sound like an advertisement but I had such a great time I wanted people to know about it.
Oh and one last thing. If you are looking for loud live music and partying into the night this is not the place for you; the village can provide all of that just a few miles away. At this hotel you can truly unwind, eat good food, enjoy a lovely room and thoroughly enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We arrived at the IC in Puerto Vallarta and right from the get go...it was awesome. The service, attention to details, and the overall attitude of the staff was absolutely amazing. Anything you needed or even mentioned in passing was totally taken care of for you. The room was HUGE and had an incredible view of the ocean. The gardens, fountains, and waterfalls on the hotel property were absolutely gorgeous. The overall experience was a completely relaxing and quiet week for my wife and I on our anniversary. We have definitely made friends for life in Puerto Vallarta at the IC. One of the nicest vacation spots we have been.

Room Tip: All the rooms are incredible...no tip needed to get an outstanding room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We spent five days here in March and had a very peaceful and enjoyable time. The hotel is a little isolated and absolutely not within walking distance of town, but we never had a problem getting a cab or private car immediately. Cost was around $7 for two people. The ride from the airport is a little long (about an hour) mostly due to stop and go traffic through town and then a limited winding two-lane road along the coast from town to the hotel. From town to the hotel was about 15 -20 minutes. Most of the cabs were tiny (Nissan Sentra’s seemed to be the make of choice) so if you have a lot of luggage or more than two people, you may want to hire a private car before you arrive. None of our drivers used their A/C either so it can be an uncomfortable ride. We did hire a private car for the return trip to the airport which was a lot more comfortable.

Staff was all very helpful; spoke fluent English, professional, and courteous. All rooms (to the best of my knowledge) are full-on ocean facing with large balconies (enough room for a table and chairs to take meals or relax). Rooms were not the most updated and beautiful specific to décor, but this is to be expected at most any beach resort in Mexico even an Intercontinental. It wasn’t tacky, but it’s not straight out of Achitechtural Digest. Rooms were quite large and appointed with ample chairs, tables, lights, electrical sockets, closets, safe, bar, fridge, and TV. Bathroom was huge with two sinks and even with a king bed, there was plenty of floor space. Since the rooms are ocean facing, there was a constant breeze keeping the room at a comfortable temperature, but there were days we did keep the doors closed and the A/C running to eliminate the humidity. A/C was powerful and kept the room comfortable. However, housekeeping did turn it off on more than one occasion and re-open the doors. No big deal.

This is a 10-story hotel built into the side of a cliff so you actually enter from the street on the 5th floor. This is where reception, gift shop, open air bar/lounge and the main restaurant are located. We were on the 6th floor and the views were lovely and unobstructed. The exterior wall is all glass and sliding doors. From our balcony you could easily see dolphins, rays, and whales. The only rooms that looked like the views were partially compromised were the ones on the 1st and maybe 2nd floors. This was only due to floral vegetation and the tops of palm trees. If you go to their website and view the photos you can get an idea. More importantly, the photos on the website really do look accurate and don’t portray the place as something more than what it is. They’re spot on. No surprises or questioning how many hours of photo shop or staging it took to make the place look like it does.

The beach is small, but private (only shared with the condos next door). The sand was clean and for the most part void of rocks and shells. The ocean was on the cool side, but it was Spring. Only bad part of the beach was that this was definitely not a place where you could casually walk into the surf. The ground is at a pretty decent decline and drops offs quickly. Waves are also abrupt and strong breaking right at landfall. I’m 42, 6’0” and 185lbs and was knocked down more than once. Not a great place to just let your small kids play on their own. There is a very large pool overlooking the beach as an alternative. Full service bar menu and drinks served where you’re sitting either at lounge chairs or tables.

The hotel was not at all busy during our stay so service was quick and the grounds void of all noise except for music, the ocean, and quiet chatter. No clue how the place handles a capacity crowd specific to service and noise or even availability of lounge chairs. Even though the pool area is large, if the place is booked and everyone is at the pool, it must get quite congested. The number of tables and chairs put out while we were there wouldn’t have covered half of the guests.

We opted for the inclusive plan of meals and drinks since we knew before arriving that there were no other restaurant alternatives within walking distance or even a small grocery store. Food was fine. Nothing outstanding, but nothing that made us regret the inclusive decision. The only negative specific to the drinks plan is you’re limited to the lower end liquor. If you want Kettle One, Bombay, etc. you’ll have to pay for it. Gratuities for meals were included in the meal plan, but we did tip cash to our bartenders and they did let us know it was appreciated. They gladly took US dollars, but there are ATM’s on-site dispersing pesos.

Check in and check out were easy. No discrepancies with our bills or unexpected miscellaneous charges. We did go to town every day/evening which was no big deal by car/cab, but again, if you’re looking to be right in the heart of things and within walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and clubs, this is not the place for you. If you’re looking for something more isolated and quiet, give it a shot. Your neighbors are a couple of quiet condo towers and high end private residences. I’d happily go back. It’s large enough to have proper amenities and services, yet small enough that staff learned our names, drink of choice at the pool, and simply remembered who we were. It’s not like you’re checking into an anonymous 1,000 room complex. Oh, water for meals, ice in cocktails, and tap water for brushing teeth are all filtered so no issues with extended bathroom time. That’s always a plus.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Se just stayed there one week ago and we loved it. Rooms with amazing views, lot of space, the staff very friendly. Spa, pool, restaurant very good. We recommend a life guard at the pool and beach.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!