“My Experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort

You added Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort to your Saves list
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida de las Garzas s/n | Zona Hote, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Leisure Escape Package
Ranked #32 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Indianapolis
“My Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, I was not impressed with the property. We chose the Hilton trusting the Hilton Brand. When we arrived, I knew I had made a mistake. The GSR asked to see our credit card only to place a $900.00 US dollar hold for incidentals. I spoke with the manager and had the hold released. We paid for an Ocean View room but found our prior to going to the room that it was not ocean front. After speaking with the manager again, we received the upgrade. I am not impressed with the rooms, they could use a good cleaning, actually the entire place could use a cleaning. The food was ok; however, the service in the Mexican and french restaurants was amazing. We were unable to experience the other restaurants because they were closed. The Q lounge was closed after the first night. The crowd was slim so I guess the guest that decided to stay at the location had to compensate by not receiving the services offered. Be advised the location is not the best. I will not stay at the Hilton again. We did the Rhythm of the night tour and it was wonderful, the food was average buffet.We will probably travel to Puerto Vallarta again, but we will never stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rolando M, General Manager at Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear guest,

I appreciate your candor on your feedback of your recent stay with us. Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. All of your comments will be internally discussed with our management team for immediate action.

On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your comments and are deeply apologize for not succeed creating a memorable experience for you. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
California City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel is made by the wonderful and accommodating staff, from the minute you walk into the hotel. Hilton got this right! The staff from the concierge to the bus person get a 5 star! The rooms are very modern and nice, however there was a strong musty odor coming from the room as soon as the door was opened. I am not sure if this is due to the humidity in PV. or if this is something Hilton needs to work harder at. I do not recall this as ever being a problem with other hotels I have visited where it has been humid. I was on the 7th floor with an awesome view of the Bay, The food was Ok, but could use improving. The French & Mexican were the best restaurants. Did not care for the Brazilian restaurant Fogo at all. Buffett great for breakfast. Drinks and snacks by the pool were very good and refreshing. Pool was nice and long walking beach area was good. Roof top pool was closed when we visited, but no real issue for us. Exercise room had nice equipment. There was no nightly entertainment at all when we were there. The rooms, grounds, pool and walkways were all very well kept. Security seems to do a good job in trying to keep the vendors from the beach off the hotel property, though the vendors were always polite when you said no. They do walk up and down the beaches which is common in PV. I would do something with the area overlooking the walkways to all the rooms. The area looks down onto a huge open area and would be better with some type of a tropical atrium or something, right now you just look down at a few tables and chairs. It needs a WOW factor. Overall a nice hotel, however this could be a fantastic property with a few changes. . This is probably a 3 1/2 star hotel do to the food and musty odor coming from the room. The Staff gets high marks! This hotel is about 6 blocks from nicer shopping mall. Enjoyed my visit

Room Tip: Rooms above the 5th floor would have a better ocean view. Get an ocean view if you can
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton for our honeymoon for six nights during mid September. We are not needy people at all and do not complain much about anything. We arrived on a Monday and would of loved a drink right away but the lobby bar was closed, so we settled for the 2 beers we had in the mini-fridge. The couple of water bottles in the fridge didn't last long and I wish they had some more readily available for guests, especially since the lobby bar was closed during the day for half of our trip.

What we did love about staying here. - The room was spacious enough, loved the shower. - Pool service was good, even better after a small tip to the servers. - The mexican and french restaurants were great. - The pool was lovely and never crowded, since it was offseason. - The rooftop bar was a great place to be, always good service, sushi, so-so. - Enjoyed the coffee bar in the morning before breakfast. - Walking the beach was nice, just wish it would of connected us to more things. - Drinks were okay, never made them as strong as I would like even after asking and tipping, beer was best bet after a while.

Some things not so great - Stay AWAY from the wine. My wife was very disappointed on a couple selections she tried, couldn't finish. Champagne was better bet for her. - Like I said earlier, loved the mexican and french restaurants for dinner, everything else was hit or miss. My wife loved the cold foods available for breakfast and lunch. I unfortunately found myself eating the cold foods later in the weeks as I realized anything hot was a bit scary, or just tasted awful. Tried a burger for lunch and room service, awful. Fogo restaurant was just okay. Like earlier, would of loved some stiffer drinks. Please FILL the mini-fridge, rather than 2 beers, 2 waters, and 2 cokes and get them to be colder or bring already chilled beverages. I couldn't drink a beer at night that had just been replaced earlier in the day, had to wait til the next day.

Book the excursion Rhythms of the Night. Well worth it for the drinks and food. Food was almost better than the hotel. Scenes were wonderful and great way to spend the evening.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Puerto Vallarta. It was a relaxing honeymoon, we enjoyed the service we received from everybody at the hotel. Will definitely recommend and consider a return. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Canutillo, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Check in staff were not that helpful. They had us sitting around waiting for our room to be ready 40 minutes past the listed check-in time. Restaurant staff were superb especially Eduardo Toriello and Francisco Cruz at the French Restaurant.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

San Diego, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Family vacation and enjoyed 4 days at the Hilton. Attentive Staff and very comfortable beds, Large rooms, Nice pools and amenities. Difficult for children since pool is mostly for adults. Good quality meals and their restaurants are good quality also. Will Return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

First, I must say a couple things:
1) I am a HHonors Gold member; I was upgraded to a nicer room upon check-in
2) I used my HHonors points to pay for this room, so it was free for me. I did not have to pay anything for this stay. I cannot speak to whether this resort is "worth the price;" our room was priced at US$319 per night.
3) The resort was almost deserted the first few days we were there.

Pros:
The room. We were upgraded to a full ocean view Jr. suite room with a hot tub on the huge balcony. The room was larger than average and in the main building over the hotel lobby. it was really nice.
The staff. All the staff we interacted with were very polite and accommodating. Yes, I tip, but not enough for a big change in politeness. The staff were fantastic.
The resort size. The small size of the resort was a BIG plus to my wife and I. This may turn some people off, however, as there are only a few things to do on the property other than swim, walk on the beach, and eat.
Food. I read the negative reviews of the food prior to coming to this resort. Honestly, the food at the french restaurant was fantastic and the rest of the food we had was good. My wife and I both were able to find several things good to eat on the buffet for all other meals. This may be effected by how many people are staying on the property at the time, however.

Cons:
Limited wi-fi. We couldn't get a good signal in our room or at the desk, only near the door. Wi-fi is fine by the pool and in the lobby with free computer access when needed.
Far from other things to do. This isn't a big deal; there's quite a ways you can walk on the beach, or you can get a cab to just about anywhere at 50 pesos (about $4) each way.

Overall we had a great time. The staff made up for any and all cons of this property. They are fantastic. Tipping isn't required or requested, but you will likely feel a want to tip, as they will be great with whatever you need.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. It never hurts to ask.
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I checked in at the Hilton Puerto Vallarta on Oct 8 for a one-night stay following a most unpleasant experience at the NOW Amber resort (I've written a separate review on that).

When I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by a very friendly reservations staff whose name I did not note down, unfortunately. I felt very welcomed and was given a room with a fantastic view of the ocean, which more than compensated for the room's simple décor and relatively small size. More of that later.

Hotel ambience
The Hilton Puerto Vallarta is a compact property that tries its best to offer as much as its limited area can afford. It has a free-form swimming pool, a deli, a lobby bar, one very good Mexican restaurant, a French fine-dining restaurant and a casual restaurant serving buffet meals. I saw the rooftop bar which many reviewers had talked about, but didn't get to go there.There's also a small beach offering massages and the standard beach activities like parasailing and canoeing.

On the whole, the hotel is a nice-enough 4-star property. Those looking to stay for more than three nights in Puerto Vallarta will probably have to occupy themselves with excursions and activities outside the hotel.

Another observation is that the Hilton Puerto Vallarta doesn't provide much greenery to give shelter from the glare during the day. It was quite impossible to go out into the open without eye shades.

The room
My ocean view deluxe room on the seventh floor (744) had a shower stall but no bath tub. It came with a small balcony that looks out into the beautiful ocean. The room had a simple décor, which was fine except that the furniture looked poorly maintained. I saw one bedside table had a pretty big chip at the bottom. Perhaps the most annoying thing about my room was the noisy air-conditioning, although it did a fantastic job keeping my room cool. The weak water pressure at the shower was also quite a spoiler for me.

Restaurant - La Catrina
As I was at the Hilton Puerto Vallarta for just one night, I only managed to try the Mexican restaurant, La Catrina. I liked it a lot! From appetizers to soups, salads and main course, everything was delicious. The restaurant also served very good margaritas. By the time I was done with the main course, I was so full that I had to skip dessert!

No wifi
My biggest complaint about the hotel is that it doesn't free wifi, although there are two terminals at the lobby offering internet access. Considering its relatively steep room rates, Hilton Puerto Vallarta should address this or stand losing out to the competition.

Overall
The Hilton Puerto Vallarta is a pretty hotel, but not a standout. It offers comfortable accommodations and good quality food, but needs better care and maintenance. Because it's not a big property, guests are not likely to be entertained enough just staying in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort? Share your experiences!