“Nice relaxing stay, food hit or miss” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort

Save Saved
You added Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort to your Saves list
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida de las Garzas s/n | Zona Hote, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book ahead and Save
Ranked #38 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Nice relaxing stay, food hit or miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton for our honeymoon for six nights during mid September. We are not needy people at all and do not complain much about anything. We arrived on a Monday and would of loved a drink right away but the lobby bar was closed, so we settled for the 2 beers we had in the mini-fridge. The couple of water bottles in the fridge didn't last long and I wish they had some more readily available for guests, especially since the lobby bar was closed during the day for half of our trip.

What we did love about staying here. - The room was spacious enough, loved the shower. - Pool service was good, even better after a small tip to the servers. - The mexican and french restaurants were great. - The pool was lovely and never crowded, since it was offseason. - The rooftop bar was a great place to be, always good service, sushi, so-so. - Enjoyed the coffee bar in the morning before breakfast. - Walking the beach was nice, just wish it would of connected us to more things. - Drinks were okay, never made them as strong as I would like even after asking and tipping, beer was best bet after a while.

Some things not so great - Stay AWAY from the wine. My wife was very disappointed on a couple selections she tried, couldn't finish. Champagne was better bet for her. - Like I said earlier, loved the mexican and french restaurants for dinner, everything else was hit or miss. My wife loved the cold foods available for breakfast and lunch. I unfortunately found myself eating the cold foods later in the weeks as I realized anything hot was a bit scary, or just tasted awful. Tried a burger for lunch and room service, awful. Fogo restaurant was just okay. Like earlier, would of loved some stiffer drinks. Please FILL the mini-fridge, rather than 2 beers, 2 waters, and 2 cokes and get them to be colder or bring already chilled beverages. I couldn't drink a beer at night that had just been replaced earlier in the day, had to wait til the next day.

Book the excursion Rhythms of the Night. Well worth it for the drinks and food. Food was almost better than the hotel. Scenes were wonderful and great way to spend the evening.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Puerto Vallarta. It was a relaxing honeymoon, we enjoyed the service we received from everybody at the hotel. Will definitely recommend and consider a return. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Canutillo, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Check in staff were not that helpful. They had us sitting around waiting for our room to be ready 40 minutes past the listed check-in time. Restaurant staff were superb especially Eduardo Toriello and Francisco Cruz at the French Restaurant.

San Diego, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Family vacation and enjoyed 4 days at the Hilton. Attentive Staff and very comfortable beds, Large rooms, Nice pools and amenities. Difficult for children since pool is mostly for adults. Good quality meals and their restaurants are good quality also. Will Return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

First, I must say a couple things:
1) I am a HHonors Gold member; I was upgraded to a nicer room upon check-in
2) I used my HHonors points to pay for this room, so it was free for me. I did not have to pay anything for this stay. I cannot speak to whether this resort is "worth the price;" our room was priced at US$319 per night.
3) The resort was almost deserted the first few days we were there.

Pros:
The room. We were upgraded to a full ocean view Jr. suite room with a hot tub on the huge balcony. The room was larger than average and in the main building over the hotel lobby. it was really nice.
The staff. All the staff we interacted with were very polite and accommodating. Yes, I tip, but not enough for a big change in politeness. The staff were fantastic.
The resort size. The small size of the resort was a BIG plus to my wife and I. This may turn some people off, however, as there are only a few things to do on the property other than swim, walk on the beach, and eat.
Food. I read the negative reviews of the food prior to coming to this resort. Honestly, the food at the french restaurant was fantastic and the rest of the food we had was good. My wife and I both were able to find several things good to eat on the buffet for all other meals. This may be effected by how many people are staying on the property at the time, however.

Cons:
Limited wi-fi. We couldn't get a good signal in our room or at the desk, only near the door. Wi-fi is fine by the pool and in the lobby with free computer access when needed.
Far from other things to do. This isn't a big deal; there's quite a ways you can walk on the beach, or you can get a cab to just about anywhere at 50 pesos (about $4) each way.

Overall we had a great time. The staff made up for any and all cons of this property. They are fantastic. Tipping isn't required or requested, but you will likely feel a want to tip, as they will be great with whatever you need.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. It never hurts to ask.
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I checked in at the Hilton Puerto Vallarta on Oct 8 for a one-night stay following a most unpleasant experience at the NOW Amber resort (I've written a separate review on that).

When I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by a very friendly reservations staff whose name I did not note down, unfortunately. I felt very welcomed and was given a room with a fantastic view of the ocean, which more than compensated for the room's simple décor and relatively small size. More of that later.

Hotel ambience
The Hilton Puerto Vallarta is a compact property that tries its best to offer as much as its limited area can afford. It has a free-form swimming pool, a deli, a lobby bar, one very good Mexican restaurant, a French fine-dining restaurant and a casual restaurant serving buffet meals. I saw the rooftop bar which many reviewers had talked about, but didn't get to go there.There's also a small beach offering massages and the standard beach activities like parasailing and canoeing.

On the whole, the hotel is a nice-enough 4-star property. Those looking to stay for more than three nights in Puerto Vallarta will probably have to occupy themselves with excursions and activities outside the hotel.

Another observation is that the Hilton Puerto Vallarta doesn't provide much greenery to give shelter from the glare during the day. It was quite impossible to go out into the open without eye shades.

The room
My ocean view deluxe room on the seventh floor (744) had a shower stall but no bath tub. It came with a small balcony that looks out into the beautiful ocean. The room had a simple décor, which was fine except that the furniture looked poorly maintained. I saw one bedside table had a pretty big chip at the bottom. Perhaps the most annoying thing about my room was the noisy air-conditioning, although it did a fantastic job keeping my room cool. The weak water pressure at the shower was also quite a spoiler for me.

Restaurant - La Catrina
As I was at the Hilton Puerto Vallarta for just one night, I only managed to try the Mexican restaurant, La Catrina. I liked it a lot! From appetizers to soups, salads and main course, everything was delicious. The restaurant also served very good margaritas. By the time I was done with the main course, I was so full that I had to skip dessert!

No wifi
My biggest complaint about the hotel is that it doesn't free wifi, although there are two terminals at the lobby offering internet access. Considering its relatively steep room rates, Hilton Puerto Vallarta should address this or stand losing out to the competition.

Overall
The Hilton Puerto Vallarta is a pretty hotel, but not a standout. It offers comfortable accommodations and good quality food, but needs better care and maintenance. Because it's not a big property, guests are not likely to be entertained enough just staying in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Loved the stay! The staff were very attentive! The room was beautiful, great views, great bathroom, and the most comfortable pillows and bed i have ever come by!! wish i stayed longer than 2 nights!!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights (Mon. Sept. 30th - Fri. Oct. 4th) and enjoyed almost all aspects of the resort. The highlights of the resort are the beautiful views from the room (we stayed on the top floor, ocean view) and the two pools. The main pool in the courtyard provides a good view of the the bay and also let's you enjoy the modern design of the hotel itself. The upstairs pool is for adults only and is high enough to see more of the coastline. We were there mid-week so the resort was pretty quiet which meant we had our pick of where to sit most of the time. The staff was very friendly both poolside and in the restaurants. The food wasn't the best I've ever had but it was fine. We only ate at the Mexican and French dinner places which were good, but the lunch and breakfast buffets were not that great. The other nights we went out to eat in town, which I recommend because the local Mexican seafood is really good, and generally very affordable. Most places in the city are less than a $10 cab ride away.

Overall we really enjoyed ourselves. If you're looking for a resort in that area with a smaller feel to it, nice views, clean modern rooms and friendly staff, then I would recommend this resort.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort? Share your experiences!