“Nice facility/great location- Aweful food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort

Save Saved
You added Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort to your Saves list
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida de las Garzas s/n | Zona Hote, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book ahead and Save
Ranked #39 of 121 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Santa Clara, California
“Nice facility/great location- Aweful food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed there for 3 nights and 4 days. My husband and I, our 18 month toddler and some friends. We were in a partial ocean view room, Room 340. The biggest of all such rooms with a sweeping well protected balcony which was really good for our toddler. She got to run around. What wasn't so good was there is no bath tub in those rooms and giving her a shower was a nightmare.
The hotel, pool, rooms etc were all very clean and well maintained, the staff polite enough and friendly(with the exception of the manager of the ala carte restaraunts).They didnt restock our minifridge everyday as they claim they would, but that wasn't a major annoyance.
Yes you need to go "reserve" your cabana by the pool or beach quite early by 8am or so.
The drinks are ok, but if you dont mention you want them strong you will get weak watery ones.
The food was aweful. The breakfast buffet was fine but the buffet the rest of the day was substandard to say the least. The food in the ala carte restaraunts was maybe a tad better but you need to reserve a table there early in the morning. Our first day we arrived at 5pm so missed the reservation window and they wouldnt seat us even though there were plenty of empty tables in the 2 of the 4 restaraunts that were open. Not cool.
They did seat smaller parties(we were 6 all together) that came in after us without reservations.
The vendors on the beach were kind of annoying. Having to say No Gracias every 4 minutes isn't fun.
Its a 5 min cab ride to the airport and maybe 10 min to downtown, so great location.(if you stay more than a few days you WILL need to leave for a decent meal)
Yet all in all, what we needed was a convenient safe beach vacation and we got the same.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

713 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Crested Butte, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We (myself, husband and 2 kids aged 10 and 12) stayed at the PV Hilton for 6 days in April. It far exceeded our expectations. Let me preface this review by saying we have never stayed at an all-inclusive and usually go to the Caribbean side of Mexico. We ended up at the PV Hilton this year because we were able to go on Hilton points.

Hotel: It is immaculate, beautiful and has a great layout. I constantly saw staff cleaning all day long.

Staff: A huge part of what made our trip so great was the service the staff provides. They cannot do enough for you. Even though breakfast is buffet we still had 4 people waiting on us each morning. The management should know that the girls by the pool, the breakfast/lunch staff, and the waiters at all of the restaurants were outstanding. I would name individually but I don't want to leave anyone out.

Food: As a general rule I do not like buffets and consider myself a bit of a foodie. We all thought the food was great. You cannot beat the breakfast buffet with all of the fresh juices, fruit, omelet bar, and typical Mexican offerings like chilequiles. We loved the ceviche bar at lunch, along with the grill choices, salsas and guacamole. We ate at all of the restaurants and especially loved La Catrina and Fogo. The presentation and quality were outstanding. Our meat was cooked perfectly at Fogo. We visiting Anabelle at the coffee shop on the 2nd floor in the big tower every morning before breakfast for a latte. Yum.

Drinks: Good quality and always coming. What else is there? Loved the mango and cucumber margaritas and the Bob Marley especially.

Pool: The setting by the pool and the pool itself was amazing. It was so beautiful.

Beach: This is a biggie for us because we like to play in the ocean and walk the beach. Here you can do both. The water is clean, not rocky and safe. There is no undertow and my kids could be in the water any time of the day. Even in the afternoons when with water would get more choppy they could still play in the waves. The beach is walkable both ways. There are vendors on the beach that continually ask you to buy their wares but after a few no's they move on. I was in PV 30 years ago and it was the same then. We found the vendors in town to be way more aggressive and annoying.

Room: We had a room in the new tower which was quite spacious for the 4 of us. Huge bathroom and shower, separate big bath tub and 2 queens. We felt like we had plenty of space and honestly were hardly in our room except to sleep.

We usually spend our vacations on the go doing a different activity everyday or exploring different beaches and we did none of that here. It was so easy and relaxing that we found it hard to want to go anywhere. We did go to town one afternoon to walk the boardwalk about after about 2 hours we all couldn't wait to get back to the little oasis at the Hilton. I will say that the resort was very quiet while we were there with not a lot of people. I could see that at peak season the pool area could get loud and crowded but then you always have the beach to escape to. We had a fabulous time and I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week with my girlfriend and all I have to say it was amazing, perfect, awesome, so much fun so many things to do! Everyone there was so nice, friendly! the food was great! I loved the catrina (amazing food looks so nice), Fogo (bar area and at night Brazilian style dinner on other nights it turns into an Italian restaurant great food as well), Seafire (open all day with breakfast buffet style with a chef making omelettes in the morning and lunch later on, burgers etc) and owest (to unwind at night drinks awesome sushi and great view to see the sunset, perfect) all of them! you have to try them all I didn't have time for the French restaurant because we had things booked with Vallarta adventures which by the way they rock!! rhythms of the night was great 40 min boat ride full of drinks, music etc by the way we spotted a whale so our captain stopped the boat for us!! once there it was breath taking awesome show and dinner right on the beach! my girlfriend loved it the staff surprised her with a bday cake, made the night even better! the boat ride back was entertaining as well!! if you go book for the one at 730pm you get the sunset on the ride there. I wish I could of stayed another week in puerto Vallarta to book more activaties! can't wait to be back so many memories very hard to come back home! plus we did jet skies and parasailing!! about 40 dollars each right along the beach! and last but not least I had the hilton staff deliver pink roses to my girlfriend on her bday and had her bed covered in rose pedals shape in a heart after coming back from rhythms of the night she almost passed out lol haha
once again we had an amazing time here and will always consider this place my second home!!

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

M husband and I just got back from PV. We were there for 6 days and had an AMAZING time! We stayed at the new AI Hilton. It is a beautiful hotel with all the modern accessories. The staff was always friendly and willing to help in any way. Eduardo with activities was awesome and always had something fun going on throughout the resort. We stayed in the Jr. Suite with the swim up pool. Our only complaints were the shower had no pressure. And the food in the restaurants is not that great. I highly recommend getting out and enjoying the local restaurants. The drinks at the resort were always flowing though!!

Room Tip: get the swim up pool suite!!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was an amazing hotel that I just happened to stumble across.. But the look and feel this hotel provided was amazing.. Sara, the hostess by the pool was just terrific - Excellent service.. I would definitely go back here..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week. I looked forward to the coffee at La Bonita every morning. It became our routine to get some coffe before we went to breakfast each morning. The pregnant lady who made our coffee was delightful. I'm sorry I'm horrible with names. I enjoyed talking with her each morning and she makes a wonderful carmel macchiato!
Food: We enjoyed the breakfast even though the egg and bacon omelette and the cereal were the only thing we were brave enough to try. Lunch was more challenging. We usually settled for a burger and fries. Some times the fries were cold and the burger tasted more like sausage. I drowned it in cheese tomato and ketchup and it seemed to help the flavor but Im pretty certain it wasn't beef. The restaurants were interesting. Brazilian was probably the best although the meat all had the same flavor.The rolls were great and I think I ate four one night. I had the spaghetti without meatballs but it was cold. At the Mexican restaurant we left because it was cold and tasted horrible. The good thing about room service was it was fast! Sometimes we got what we ordered sometimes we didn't but we didn't mind we just called them again and they ran right up! The drinks were given freely and although Im not a big drinker ( my husband drinks beer) they tasted good.
Service: the wait staff was very accommodating. One day I was craving Vanilla ice cream and jokingly mentioned it to our waiter. He went away for a couple minutes and returned with 2 big bowls of ice cream for my husband and I. I was surprised! The concierge printed our boarding passes and was very friendly.
Cleanliness: this place was clean. I would eat off the floor.... Ok maybe not it is Mexico after all.I constantly saw people cleaning. The bathrooms were always clean in the public areas. Our room was spotless and even though we didn't have an ocean facing room we could see the ocean. It was nice to sit on the balcony out of the wind. Please tip your housekeeper!
Beach: The sand is rocky in spots and not white but still pretty. I didn't go out in the ocean over my ankles but it was nice. The vendors selling things on the beach were annoying. If I had a dollar for everytime I said "no thank you" here I'd be rich. I understand they are just trying to make a living but I wish the hotel could regulate this more. The vendors walk directly up to your lounge chair kicking up sand... Kind of ruins the relaxing vibe. People came freely onto the resort without the all inclusive bracelets to use the Internet and eat. We inquired about this and were told they were allowed onto the property and had to pay. I feel this compromises safety since they didn't have to check-in or wear a wrist band to identify themselves.
In conclusion, this place was okay. I was dissappointed by the food. Our stay was okay and we didn't receive any upgrades even though capacity was low. It would had been a nice guesture.It was a quiet low key and good to get away.

Regina, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My wife and I, along with another couple stayed here for 3 days and should have listened to the previous warnings. The check in was terrible! We were called liars, given the wrong room twice, dealt with 5 different desk clerks, including the "desk manager" and the "shift manager", before we finally received the room in which we payed for. We booked a deluxe king oceanfront room. We first we given a room with 2 queens.. not what 2 couples are looking for on a romantic escape. We were in Puerto Vallarta for 6 days, 3 here and 3 at the casamagna marriot resort- see that review also if looking for a place to stay.. night and day from the hilton. After we finally got our room 5 hours later, the disappointment already put such a damper on the whole thing that it was hard to shake the negative experience. The rest of the place was better though. The buffet and restaurant staff do a great job of making you feel welcome and you never go without anything. The view from the room was awesome although there was only a shower in our room, no tubs lol. All in all this resort wasn't bad. But you know what they say about 1st impressions, and my 1st impression was bad enough to give my 1st terrible review and I will never go back to this resort. After this trip I have stayed at 4 resorts in PV so I feel like I know a little bit about the resorts in this area.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort? Share your experiences!