“Problem After Problem After Problem...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort

Save Saved
You added Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort to your Saves list
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida de las Garzas s/n | Zona Hote, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book ahead and Save
Ranked #37 of 120 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Brentwood, California
“Problem After Problem After Problem...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hilton has a lot of work to do if they want to get away with charging the prices we paid to stay there over peak travel times. The grounds and overall contemporary style of the hotel are beautiful and the pool was nice as well, but that's pretty much where it ends.

Rooms:
We originally booked a deluxe ocean view room which was not available when we checked in. We were given a partial ocean view room until a full ocean view room was available two days later. The rooms were fine but the bathrooms (where the toilets are) are painfully small. They are literally smaller than the bathrooms on an airplane. Also, the doors don't go floor-to-ceiling so you'd better be very comfortable with the person you are staying with. The decor is nice and we thought the beds were pretty comfortable. One thing that bothered us was that the walls are paper thin. If you are a light sleeper, you should definitely bring ear plugs. We had serious issue that came up (an isolated incident and I won't go into detail about it) and we were given an upgrade to an ocean front jr. suite. Staying in this room was like being at a different property. Better amenities, jacuzzi on the balcony, huge bathroom, robes, sitting area, etc. A must if you decide to stay here. If your budget doesn't allow for the upgrade, I wouldn't even consider staying here.

Service:
Overall, this is a major area the hotel needs to improve on. We did encounter some bartenders who were great, and we also thought the servers at the pool worked really hard. The restaurants were a completely different story. Every meal we had was like the never ending meal. There were two different times that we ordered room service and it never came. At breakfast every morning, we literally waited in line for 15 minutes for an omelet. There were multiple times at breakfast when we were totally neglected by the servers and had to get up to find our own coffee, get silverware, etc. We had dinner at Fogo one night and we waited 15 minutes in between the different cuts of meat to make its way to our table.

Food:
We thought the food was pretty mediocre. There are three a la carte restaurants that you need to make reservations for and the buffet. There were multiple items on the menu at each restaurant that they were "out of" for the whole time we were there. We ate at the French place the most and it was decent. The Brazilian place was AWUFL. Over cooked, poor quality meat and poor service. The setting is beautiful but that can only get you so far. The wine at this hotel is borderline offensive. It is so awful I cannot believe they service it to their guests and there is no alternative to the garbage house wine they serve. I get that people don't go to mexico to drink wine, but I have a hard time drinking margaritas and beer with French food every night. There is also an "upscale" Mexican place also that was just ok. For breakfast, the omelets were good (after you spend the time waiting for it) but the buffet was largely picked over every time we went for breakfast. Lunch needs some major improvements. I literally ate chips and guacamole for lunch every day because their options were just not appealing. They should really consider incorporating a taco bar, or something of that nature.

Pool:
The pool is in a beautiful setting but its a little disappointing there was no swim up bar. One thing that was incredibly annoying was that they have people working around the pool who literally will take your belongings off your saved chair if you leave your chair unattended for more than 30 minutes. I've done a fair amount of vacationing and I have never seen anything like this. We walked to our chairs after breakfast the first morning we were there and our stuff had just vanished. The best part was that they gave our chairs to people who bought a day pass to use the pool for the day. Seriously?! I'm paying thousands to stay there for a week and you just gave my chair to someone who is not even staying at the hotel!? The rest of our trip we had to ask other hotel guests to watch our stuff if we wanted to take a walk on the beach, grab lunch, etc. Another thing we weren't fond of (and this is not the hotel's fault) was that there were TONS of kids at the resort when we were there. I felt like I was at a summer camp while we were at the pool and it got very old, very fast. They do have an adults only area on the roof of the new building, but its pretty small and the pool up there is warm and not as refreshing as the main pool.

Overall:
I could go on and on about all the negatives we encountered about our stay but I think the info above should be good enough to give you an idea of what we experienced. This hotel is in a beautiful setting but there were so many problems that it really hindered our ability to relax and have a carefree vacation. I think this hotel has a lot of work to do and it all starts with management. It's completely unacceptable to order room service and never have it come. The food and service is far too inconsistent and the pool chair saving policy should be eliminated immediately. The spa is so ridiculously expensive that it was insulting. Their treatments were literally more expensive than the spa at the Grand Wailea in Maui! This place has some potential but there are definitely some major changes that need to take place, and it all comes from the top. Given the above, I will not return to this hotel and I definitely would not recommend it to a friend. Hope this helps in your decision making process!

Room Tip: I wouldn't even consider going if you dont get a jr suite. I stayed in rooms in both the new bu...

557 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Wow! This resort is fabulous! I simply cannot say enough good things about it! My husband and I stayed at the Hilton in Puerto Vallarta in mid October 2012 for one week. We were in town for a wedding and wanted to stay at an all-inclusive resort. Even though the Hilton was new we gave it a try and it turned out to be the best decision that we could have made! The hotel itself is gorgeous! Everything is brand new and very clean and well maintained with lush landscaping mimicking the tropical jungles visible from most of the rooms. The lobby and walkways are breezy and cool. The swimming pools are pristine and exquisite. There are two pools, one huge, well planned out pool at beach level and another quaint and private pool with breathtaking views up at the sky bar lounge. Our room was upgraded graciously by the wonderful front desk staff and our fabulous visit ambassador due to some travel difficulties. We ended up with a ground floor junior suite with a semi private swimming pool. The room was beyond amazing! We were so happy with absolutely everything, not a single complaint. The staff was amazing! There was plenty of staff always ready to help you with anything that you needed. Our mini bar was stocked daily and our drink orders taken constantly. The room service was wonderful, great food and a flexible chef willing to make things how we wanted them. The main restaurant was a buffet style restaurant offering breakfast and lunch. It was open all day every day. The food varied but consisted of staples you would expect (e. g. fruit, salad, rolls, sandwiches, pizza & fries for the kids). It was well prepared, clever, and tasty. We especially loved some of the fresh fish options and the ceviche. The dinner restaurants that were open while we were there were a Mexican restaurant and a French restaurant. They were open on opposite days and never both at once. My only disappointment was that we only got to eat at the French restaurant one time (due to other dinner commitments that we had and the alternating restaurant schedule). The restaurants were both fabulous, offering interesting takes on classic food, such as a deconstructed salad Nicoise. Overall we did not expect such complex, creative and delicious food and were very pleasantly surprised. I have heard some bad things about other all inclusive resort’s food so we were not expecting much more than a decent breakfast and lunch with some fresh fruit, but the food at the Hilton was exquisite. Overall our experience was beyond amazing! We just could not believe that everything was all inclusive. If we go back to Puerto Vallarta again we will definitely be staying at the Hilton! Don't bother renting a car, you will never want to leave the resort!

Room Tip: High rise rooms are nice, I would choose an ocean view room at least. There are so many junior suit...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My fiance and I visited this hotel Dec 2012 and had a great time. The resort is very clean and has a new feel. We had an ocean view room with a King bed. The room was large and had 2 sliding glass doors with balconies. Not the fanciest room I've stayed in, but more than met our expectations.

So how was the all-inclusive? It was great. The food was the best I've had at an all-inclusive. They had French, Mexican and a Brazilian restaurant along with the regular dining area. The Brazilian was our favorite for sure. They have a buffet of sides and come to your table with every meat you can imagine. The Mexican and French were very good too. I think the Mexican was our second favorite. Breakfast is served in the main dining area and had an extensive selection of traditional breakfast foods along with Mexican dishes, which I really enjoyed. The booze... Well let me tell you about the booze. Top shelf stuff! They have KettleOne, Don Julia Tequila, Havana Club Rum, Cans of Corona/Pacifico & Corona/Pacifico Light. I really liked the idea of canned beer, which is not something I've seen anywhere else.

If your planning to sit by the pool and relax for the day the waitstaff comes by very often and replenishes your drink. They will bring you bottled water if you like as well. I was really impressed by the service. The pool itself was really cold though!

The pool area has a ton of lounges as well as some really nice bungalows with views of both the pool and ocean. If you can snag one for the day you'll have a really comfortable hangout with a great view.

Overall the hotel really exceeded our expectations. Our trip was a last minute decision and pretty short with only 4 nights. The hotel is very close to the airport and only about 10 mins away. We rented a car since we had planned a day trip to Sayulita, but otherwise a car isn't really necessary. I would really recommend a visit to Sayulita though. We had a really fun day there surfing and stand-up paddle boarding. The drive was about 45mins and not too difficult.

Enjoy!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hilton PV towards the end of an extended trip to Vallarta. We have stayed at a large number of hotels in the area, and Hilton was certainly towards the top. Our room was fantastic, which was an upgraded from what we booked (Due to being a Hilton Diamond member). Service around the main pool was on the slow side, which was alarming due to the few number of people there. I would worry about the delivery speed when the hotel is at capacity. The rooftop pool is a much needed break from all of the kids down at the main pool area. We found it very odd that there was not a hot tub on the entire property, expect the private ones on the balconies. My wife had been looking forward to enjoying the Spa, but found the prices to be very off-putting (especially by Mexico standards). The prices were double what we would expect at a Hilton spa in the USA.

As far as the food goes, I would say it was good. Not great, but above average. The deal breaker with the restaurants is the lack of any decent wine. I'm not expecting amazing wine, but something drinkable would be nice. My wife and I would have gladly paid a premium/surcharge on something other than the house wine, especially at the French restaurant.

We found the majority of the staff to be helpful and attentive, special thanks go to the reception staff. Often times at larger resorts in PV, checking in can be a painful chore. The Hilton was efficient, attentive, and made us feel like important guests.

All in all, I'm not sure we would stay again. The rates are very similar to other high end hotels in the area that are more polished. The lack of a hot tub, respectable wine, property-wide wifi, and expensive spa would like drive us to a competitor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
North Caldwell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This brand new Hilton resort is beautiful!! When you arrive at the open air lobby (which has a wonderful breeze), you can see straight to the pool and ocean. Check-in was a breeze, but make sure to see the concierge right away to make all dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants since they fill up VERY quickly.

We had two rooms - an ocean view room in the old tower and a Junior Suite in the new tower. The Junior Suite room came about because of an odor problem in the corner King ocean view room on the 7th floor. The other room in the old tower was fine and the balcony views were amazing. The Junior Suite (on the fourth floor of the new tower) was AMAZING! It had a large comfortable bed, a large bathroom with a bathtub, spectacular views and a jacuzzi with chairs on the roof. If you're planning to get a king ocean view room think about upgrading to the Junior Suite since the new tower is much better and the room is beautiful and large.

The food was hit or miss. The breakfast was by far the best meal of the day. There was a large selection of cereals, yogurts, fruit, eggs and pastries. Make sure to ask for bagels and cream cheese since they have them in the back (ask your waiter). The omelette station was by far the best since the chefs can make eggs any way you like - over easy, scrambled or as omelettes. The one negative is that these lines can get long and are also right near food stations where other guests are trying to get food. The lunch and dinner buffet were so-so, so try and fill up on breakfast or go to Fogo for additional food at lunch (including burgers, hot dogs, pizza, french fries and salads). For dinner, try to get reservations.

The specialty restaurants were relatively good and the service was impeccable. The whole resort is lacking in the wine department since it only had one Mexican brand of wine and four choices: chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, cabernet and another red. Le Delice (the French restaurant) had a large amount of options, but the crab meat appetizer, onion soup and salads were good. The main options were so-so. La Catrina (the Mexican restaurant) was the best of the group. There were a lot of great appetizers and entrees. Given that we don't tend to like Mexican food (that isn't Tex-Mex), we were very impressed and changed our views on Mexican cuisine. We never made it to Fogo as it rained a few times on the trip and the New Year's Eve celebration took the place of it one night. We were told mixed reviews about it by other guests.

We did go into town for two dinners to get away from the resort a little bit. The same people own La Palapa (on the beach) and Vista Grill (in the mountains with AMAZING views). Both restaurants were SO GOOD, but Vista Grill was our favorite and all menu items were great. It was also great to find amazing wine options.

The pools were beautiful and we never had a problem finding chairs or getting towels. Given, we were there when the resort was at full capacity, but we did make sure to get down before 8:30 am. After New Year's Day, the resort opened up and more people were able to get chairs at a later time.

One of the best parts of the resort was the staff. The individuals at the front desk were efficient and helpful. All bartenders were nice and made great drinks (minus the wine, but that's not their fault). The waitresses at the pool were always around and work very hard. I want to especially applaud the Activities Staff under the direction of Carlos. Carlos was AMAZING and so helpful to us. Eduardo was also great. He helped the guests get involved with water aerobics, blackjack, bingo, beach volleyball, etc. He also gave my daughter a Spanish lesson to help with the Spanish she already knew.

Overall, we do plan to be back in the future! I think the resort needs to work on its food, even if it means including Tex-Mex like options, including fajitas, quesadillas (which are available for room service) and tacos since it is hard to go wrong with these options. Bravo to all!

The Grossman Family, New Jersey (Dec 29 2012-Jan 5 2013)

Room Tip: Try to stay in the New Tower in the suites! Make reservations early for dinner!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rolando M, Manager at Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Grossman family,

All your comments are deeply appreciated, and for me is an honor be part of this great team who genuinely strive to please our customers during their stay.

We are still working in some of our processes and food variety, therefore this comments are very important for us in order to improve and keep our guests coming back to enjoy the resort.

Thank you for choosing us for your holidays!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton in early January after New Years. We originally booked a deluxe king ocean view. I did not book a junior suite because the pictures online did not look that different from a deluxe king. Check in was very easy and the bellman took us to our room. Upon arriving, the lobby is open and you can see straight to the pool. The view of the pool and the beach is absolutely beautiful and one of the best parts of the hotel. We arrived in our room and found that is was pretty small. No bathtub, one sink and a king bed. It was almost like a European hotel room. It also looked a little worn. I asked to see the junior suite and we were taken to the other side of the hotel. The junior suite was WORLDS better. Double sink, bathtub, separate shower and toilet, big room, bathrobes, slippers, beautiful view, jacuzzi on the balcony and cushioned balcony chairs. There was no question that we should upgrade to this room. So we did for $80 a night but we felt it was very worth it. The bed was very comfortable which is a huge plus for us.
The service was amazing. Everyone was very helpful. This was another reason why we liked the hotel. The pools were refreshing and not crowded for us. The hotel was not full at all so it is possible that if they are at capacity, the pool area could become crowded. We had no problem getting chairs at the pool although the canopy beds facing the beach were often taken pretty early. The beach was great - you aren't really able to sit on the actual beach but the pool and chairs are close enough that it didn't bother us. The water was a tad rough but we still swam in it. The drink service at the pool was great. The rooftop pool was really pretty but super hot! The water was like bath water. We only were up there for an hour or so before we went down to the main pools. The rooftop area is probably really nice at night but we never got a chance to go. Also, the activities at the pool were fun. Everyone on the activity staff tried to get you to participate in things. We mostly did the Bingo which was really fun. I also did Blackjack and won a prize - the Floatarium session at the spa.
The spa is extremely clean, organized and relaxing. My husband and I did the Floatarium. We were given locker keys and changed into our bathing suits and bathrobes. We were taken to a dimly lit room with 2 pools. The first pool is filled with salt water and is a zero gravity pool so you can just float for 30 minutes. There was no way we could float for 30 minutes straight though but we did try to float for as long as we could and it was amazing! Then we went into a cool jacuzzi to rinse off the saltwater. Afterwards, we both felt super relaxed and rejuvinated and since mine was free, my husband just had to pay for his which was 585 pesos (this included a 10% off for participating in the blackjack game).
The food is the worst part of the hotel. The buffet is small and breakfast was by far the best meal of the day which is not saying much. They had fruit and yogurts and cold cereals but the hot food was not very good. They at least had eggs and omelettes which were good although it depended on who cooked the omelette. My husband got one that he felt wasn't cooked very well so he didn't eat it. The pancakes were okay. The french toast was hard. Bacon was good. One day there was eggs benedict which I thought was good but they didn't have Canadian bacon. Some had turkey, some had roast beef, the meat varied. There was no cream cheese and no bagels but there was a nice selection of Mexican bread and pastries. I tried to fill up on breakfast because the lunch buffet was sparse. The vegetables were pretty good though so I had a salad one day but the next day there was no salad dressing. You had to ask for tortillas and there were no tacos, quesadillas, fajitas or anything to be found. You basically had to use the ingredients around the buffet to make a taco. I thought that was extremely weird. They did have chicken nuggets, pizza and french fries though. They had various meats and stews for lunch and dinner as well as salmon but I didn't really try any of those. The desserts were okay.
Our first night we ate in the buffet and the second night we ate at the French restaurant. The menu looks promising, but the food was a different story. I ordered french onion soup - which was good but nothing special, a baked shrimp dish which was basically like a shrimp custard and a vegetable thing for dinner that consisted of vegetables layered with brie cheese. I thought that was pretty good actually but it said it had a truffle glaze on the vegetable dinner and the shrimp dish and I didn't taste truffle anywhere. My husband's dinner was not as good at all. He had a lobster bisque which was a watery tomato soup with a shrimp in it. Weird. He also had a crab thing that was just okay. He ordered the filet medium and it came out rare. He didn't eat it and didn't want to send it back because by that time we were frustrated and antsy as the service was slow as well.
We went up stairs and ordered room service which was better than the french restaurant and the buffet. In fact, the next two nights, we skipped our reservations at the Mexican and Brazilian restaurants and ordered room service for dinner. I loved the BLT and my husband thought the burger was good. We were able to get quesadillas as well. The room service was much better than the restaurant food.
All in all, the Hilton is a beautiful place. It may get crowded at full capacity and they DEFINITELY need to work on the food but the drinks, pool, staff and rooms/view make up for that. Definitely get a junior suite - it is worth it for sure.

Room Tip: Junior suites in the newer tower are much better than the king deluxe.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rolando M, General Manager at Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear guest,

We really appreciate your time to share all this comments about your experience at the resort, every single comment is very important for us since we are the newest hotel in Puerto Vallarta.

The compromises of all our collaborators are well recognized and we’ll keep on doing that to make the visit of our guests a great experience.

]I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Los ANgeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I wrote a review on Bookit.com and it was never posted. Probably because it was not very favorable. We stayed at the "Brand new Hilton Hotel" which was not brand new, but only a refurbished Holiday Inn. Some updating, paint, and tiles - that's it.
Positives:
-great staff, very friendly, helpful.
Negatives:
-rooms were ok, but nothing special. We got a deluxe ocean view room, which we thought was the top, but Bookit.com didn't give us a choice of the better rooms (suites) in a newer building. Bathrooms did not include a bathtub, shower mat (very slippery tiles), robes or turn down service. Our "deluxe" room looked over a building rooftop.
-they were not prepared for the after Christmas rush of people - very crowded. Not enough lounge chairs by pool or beach, restaurants were ridiculously crazy, and our room was never cleaned until 4:00 unless asked for earlier.
-the food was not up to Mexico standards. Who puts a breakfast buffet where people are standing in line for an omelet? The line was always 10 minutes long, and actually not worth the wait. The specialty restaurants were ok at best. The rooftop restaurant and adult pool were nice but the sushi is not up to standard for those who eat sushi. The best lunch option was the guacamole and chips. Most people don't go to Mexico for the wine, but if you wanted it you only have 4 choices: Chardonnay, merlot, shiraz or cabernet. One winery, no options.
-service: as hard as they tried, they could not keep up with the demand of people - even after the holiday crowd left. Not properly trained on customer service - which is odd since this is a Hilton. Everyone was "nice" but not helpful.
-pool: not enough lounges chairs or umbella, no music except for the water aerobics. No bar or social area.
The good news is that they had a wonderful New Years Eve celebration (included) with fireworks, music and a nice (buffet) dinner.
Those people who gave this hotel a 5 star, have never stayed at a true 5 star hotel in Mexico.
We won't go back and would not send our friends there--maybe they'll get their act together in a few years.

Dear guest,

All comments are very well received and are important for us. We shared all the comments with our staff and work to make a better place for our guests no matter the time of the year they visit us.

Thank you so much for all your comments and hope next time you are in Vallarta I can welcome you to the resort.

Been to Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort? Share your experiences!