“great food at a low price” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #157 of 736 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: Mexican
rhinelander wi
“great food at a low price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We tried El Huarache for supper after it was recommended to us by some people at our resort. The food was very good and the prices were very low. The most expensive thing on the menu was 45 pesos! They are located across the street from the Krystal Resort and just south of Outback. This is a small restraurant with excellant food at a great price with freindly service. We will definately be going back when we are in Vallarta next year.

Visited March 2014

New York
“Looking for an authentic Mexican experience?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I'm from Chicago, so authentic Mexican food is not exactly a novelty for me. But we certainly don't get seafood as fresh as in Mexico, so I was interested in finding a family-run, casual place that didn't scream "health department nightmare!" but also wasn't a tourist spot. I stumbled upon El Huarache Azteca after veering slightly off of the Malecon. I could smell freshly steamed corn tortilla down the block, and after turning a corner, spied this casual little spot, part souvenir shop/part open kitchen/part family hangout/part restaurant. A local was feasting on a plate of mahi-mahi, pulled a chair up, and said to me, "come on in! Have a seat!" It doesn't get anymore welcoming than that.

I ordered what the "maitre'd" ordered, a plate of mahi-mahi, "special sauce," steamed veggies, rice, and a basket of torilla (they have a fully stocked bar, as well). The fish was freshly caught that day, so tender and juicy and delicious. The entire plate was delicious; I ate every bite. I sat the counter, where I watched the mother of the family/head cook create absolutely delicious-looking, heaping plates of seafood, tortilla, meat, salsas, you name it. Made-to-order, fresh ingredients, made with an authentic flair. Highly recommend this place if you prefer value over ambience.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Snack Stop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is a cantina located within a block from the flea market. It has a bar area and then shops surrounding it. We stopped for tacos and a beer. The tacos were excellent. They also served quesadillas and tostados, just to name a few. The people were very friendly and helpful. The cook made sure we got what we wanted on our tacos. You could watch her make your food right in front of you. It was truly authentic mexican! I would recommend this place for a quick snack while shopping in town!!!

• Visited March 2013