“Small, but great!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta to your Saves list
Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jose Clemente Orozco 125 | Int. 10 Zona Hotelera Norte, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Ranked #34 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Humboldt, Saskatchewan, Canada
“Small, but great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was our second trip to Puerto Vallarta, and our first to Canto Del Sol. We were there from March 11-18, 2013, and we went with my parents, as well as our 2.5 year old daughter and 16 month old son.
Everyone had a blast!

The hotel was smaller than some that we have been to in different areas of the south, and a bit older (though most are in PV). The smaller resort had its benefits and drawbacks. We were never far from our room, which made it easy to run back and forth to grab stuff or change, especially with two little ones. They were very accommodating to give us the main floor when we asked for it, though our room had a terrible view (a broom)... but we were only there to sleep, so it didn't really matter! It would have been nice to have queen beds rather than doubles. It was uncomfortable for my husband and I to share a bed (both smaller people) so one of us always shared a bed with our daughter.

There wasn't as many activities available as we have seen at other larger hotels, but that is probably due to space... they still had a full schedule of activities planned by the pool.

The food was very good. We were always able to find something both us and the kids liked. The kid's buffet was really handy too! We were given 3 a'la carte passes, and used them all at each of the restaurants. Our favourite was the Italian! Definitely order the Spanish coffee... my husband and I don't drink coffee, but we still ordered it for the show, and it actually tasted really good too! :)

The show was really good on some nights, and others we didn't stick around for as it was simply karaoke or bingo.

The water sports were pretty good too. My mom and I went kayaking a couple times, which was really fun. We also went out on the catamaran twice. The guy goes with you and is very good! He is great at sailing and he tells you all about Puerto Vallarta and the hotels in the bay. It was like having our own tour guide! Very cool!

The pool was wonderful, and heated which was great. We especially like the kids pool! It is very shallow, and even has an area that is only 1-2 inches deep. We were able to get chairs by that pool every morning, and watch my daughter play with friends she made, while my son could sit in the super shallow part and splash. They loved it, and it was nice to be only a couple feet from them on our pool chairs, rather than having to swim with them for the full 4 hours that they wanted to!!! :)

Special mention to Cris, the bartender at the lobby, and also the pool bar. He introduced me to a banana mama, and he made the best one on the resort. No one else could make it taste the same!

The hotel lobby had free wifi internet, and we were close enough to it that I sometimes picked it up in our room. They also had a free business centre where you could use their computers. We didn't need it much, but it was nice to send a quick email home.

The location was great. Only a few minutes from the airport and very close to the Malecon and the Marina... about a 50 peso cab ride either way.
Overall, it was a great trip!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Bigfork, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Canto del Sol is mostly an all inclusive place but you can also trade into here. The food ad entertainment is good; the service is congenial, the pools are nice and it is beachfront so there is a beautiful sunrise every evening! The rooms are roomy, comfortable and air conditioned. All is perfect except alas...no internet! Now they will tell you they have it but it is not strong enough to stay online for for than a minute. It really is inexcusable! They could install another antenna or any number of things. This is like the Dark Ages to us. It is very disappointing as internet is critical to our work. It is close to all kinds of shopping and restaurants...but no internet! So, although we like this place, we will never return because of this one issue. :(

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
milton, ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Went back from Jan 22 2013 to Feb. 12 2013. As usual everyone greeted us and made us feel right at home. Our room was not to ur liking the first day so we were moved as soon as there was availability. Grounds are clean and well kept. Food is varied and every Friday night is Mexican night. Lots of fun games where you win play money and then get to bid on items at the auction later on that evening. Going back again April 8th to 15th this year and hopefully next year for a month.

Room Tip: Rooms on right side of hotel such as 294 or 394 face the ocean and offer a nice view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was my first experience in taking a holiday like this. I liked the small resort/holiday as it was very easy to get around and to find all the amenities. The Buffet had a very good variety of foods to choose from. My roomDID NOT look like the pictures on the web site. I travelled with a group of nine and some were in a time share. DID NOT look like the pictures on the web site. Was disappointed in the room but it was clean and kept that way all week. They advertisement says it has been remodeled!!!! I am an Interior Designer and will gladly help when I return. Rated a 4 star I think but I would give it a 2.5-3. But the only other trip I have had was a cruise. So hard to make a comparison. I have stayed in many hotels on other occassions and this does not make the list of 4 star. The Entertainment Staff work very hard to keep us entertained. The nightly shows were awesome. BUT everything was over by ten thirty. Okey not ready to go to my room yet!!!!! Staff were very polite and looked after you very well. I am going to return next Feb. I will be travelling alone and I felt very safe here. I am trying to recruit some others to go next year as I would recommend this hotel to any over 40. There isn't enough night life for the younger ones. Roberta

Room Tip: If you can get a good one great. The beds are as hard as cement. I slept in the lounge chair on th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Regina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We just got back from Canto Del Sol, Our overall experience was excellent! The resort is very very clean and the staff is outstanding! They have a nice variety of food everyday and an evening show every night. This is a very safe resort without too many people. It's not super fancy but for the price ... it's perfect!
This is a super cute, clean, resort where you can go and relax.

Room Tip: Ask for king size bed if needed before hand and ask for pool side room or you could get stuck with a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had never been to this resort before..it was a last minute all inclusive deal. We were pleasantly surprised and would go back again. The service was great, the evening entertainment was really good, and the food was pretty good considering its the usual all inclusive buffet with a few a la carte choices. Not impressed with the Italian a la carte though. We also had some issues with our room..lots of mildew on the curtains that made the room smell terrible. We were moved to a different room without problems after we mentioned it. Unfortunately, it seems to be a theme at this hotel that you get placed into a less desirable room first and then need to complain to get moved..it would be nice if they upgraded the rooms so you didn't have to go through the hassle.
Besides those few issues we had a great time..the atmosphere was relaxed and fun

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I once again stayed at this great hotel, It was as good if not better than two years ago. The staff again was very friendly. My check in was a bit slow as I got there at 2:45 PM and they said my room was not ready. But when I got to my room there had been no one in the room as I went to go have a shower and brown water came out of the tap, telling me no one has used it in a while. Do not know why they would make me wait but what ever. The food again was great a little laxs on the Thousand island dressing for salad. The room was cleaned all the time and the maid did a great job. I was there between 25TH of February and March the 4TH. Paublo the bar tender was awesome again as he made sure I got a stalk of celery for my Ceasar he makes the best in Puerto Vallarta. Staff at the pool bar was friendly and quick All in all i will be back the the Canto del sol

Room Tip: All the rooms are great
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta? Share your experiences!