“Thefts are scary but at Loma Linda... easy to prevent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villas Loma Linda

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Villas Loma Linda
Hortensias # 37 | Fracc. Amapas, Puerto Vallarta 48399, Mexico   |
Victoria, BC, Canada
“Thefts are scary but at Loma Linda... easy to prevent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I first wrote a review for Villa Loma Linda on January 1, 2004. Each year since then, we have spent four weeks there...usually in one of their studio apartments. The two reviews here from June, 2011 about thefts are the first I have heard of at this resort. Having had this experience in the US on vacation, I know how horrible & vulnerable you feel. Let me add this about Loma Linda in the hopes that it may reassure you.

Each villa has a locking drawer in the bedroom(s). It's quite large & there's room for cameras, jewelry, documents, money etc. We always use it... even if we're only going down to the pool. We figure we are, after all, in a country where many people are poor & besides that, we have never felt comfortable leaving our valuables around when we're in a strange place, whether it be Mexico, the US or here in Canada. The person who was robbed mentioned that it very hot & so it was necessary to have things open to get air circulation. Certainly, by June it can be heating up in PV. However, the side bedroom windows in the 2 bedroom units have grilled patios outside... the master bedroom is over the roof of the villa below it & it would take a very determined thief to climb around the metal spikes on the patio, over the tile roof & into your room. The above ground kitchen windows have grills outside them. The living rooms have folding patio doors on two sides which lock firmly & yet are not a super tight fit... so air can circulate a little. Also, there is a ceiling fan in each & every room which has, if you like, a turbo setting! The resort is high enough on the hill so that there is usually a cool breeze from the ocean.

All this being said... from June to October each year, Puerto Vallarta can be very hot & humid... this is why we go there mostly between November & May. When we do travel inside the hotter months, we stay in one of the four studio or two one bedroom suites... both of which have air conditioning.

I am in no way trying to undermine the seriousness of having things stolen from you on vacation... it's an experience which colours your sense of a country & its people and you never forget it. I am sad that this charming, authentic Mexican resort has been a bad experience for some.... however, I believe that even at Villa Loma Linda, there are ways to safeguard yourself & yet remain comfortable.... that is, if you travel in the cooler months or stay in the villas with air conditioning.

May I say one last thing. Whatever thefts have happened at Loma Linda, it is inconceivable to me that it would be any of the staff. The people who work here, for the most part, have been there for many, many years.... and are part of the family atmosphere at this resort. They take pride in their work and go out of their way to make sure your visit is everything you had hoped. We always have & always will feel safe at Loma Linda.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

All previous reviews are all pretty spot on. We had unit C7 which has the longest trek to the pool! and 3 flights down to the street level, but possibly the best view of the bay. We also had no a/c.
The stairs and no a/c are the only negative features.
Most of those who made the comment that it was comfortable at night with the doors open, probably stayed in the months october to may. June was super hot and sleeping with the windows open also invited mosquitos in, we bought and used mosquito coils and bug spray.
This would not put me off coming again, i would just be better prepared. In the hotter months, dont bother with a hairdryer or iron, its impossible to stay looking anything other than hot and bothered!
I am in agreement that the short walk to town is pleasant and an easy stroll, but in the heat its too much and walking on a road with no sidewalk is a little risky, especially at night. Taxis are everywhere and relatively cheap, but they soon add up if you use them a lot. They have a specific rate per zone, so it doesnt matter if you go 500 yards or from one end of a zone to the other, you will be charged the same, 40 pesos (which is about 4 dollars). we probably spent $16 a day on taxis, if we went out during the day, back to change and out for dinner in the evening. over a 7 day period it adds up. Best to bring plenty of cash, some places dont take credit cards and we have heard of a few identity theft issues since we have been here.
Ask at the desk for board games, cards etc.
They have laundry facilities for a nominal fee.
Dont waste $100 on the hot tub if you visit in hot weather, it wont get used!
BEWARE of the timeshare sharks, they usually are super friendly (as are most of the PV locals) and are just about everywhere. They always ask when you leave - and that my friend is the give away. we have found its best to say "tomorrow" to which they will reply " in the afternoon" we shake our heads and say "morning" and they back off. its the only answer that gets you out of the situation in less than 30 minutes!!!!
The Villas Loma LInda is a beautiful place to vacation, pretty, quiet, central and so on. dont let a few things put you off visiting.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I was robbed while I slept -- my camera, wallet & watch. I was told I should have been locked up!!! This would have meant sleeping in the tropics with no air -- all windows and doors had to be shut. 2 nights later another unit was robbed. The attitude was "The victim is to blame!" I sure won't be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
SFOFLYBOY, General Manager at Villas Loma Linda, responded to this review, December 18, 2011
Unfortunately the economy in Puero Vallarta is as bad or worse as in the US. We have a large property and if someone wants to get on the property they will find a way. This guest left his doors and windows wide open and his valuables were left in plain site. We provide locking drawers in each villa and we have a safe available in our office for our guests valuables. I don't understand why guests think they can come to another country and ignore the very things they do at home meaning you lock your doors and windows at night time. It is the tropics but in January there is little humidity and the weather is beautiful. Each villa is equipped with multiple ceiling fans that provide more than adequate air at night time. This incident would not have happened if the guest had simply used the locking drawer provided in his villa. We have added extensive razor wire and other deterents around the property and have also added a night time club host so we now have staff on the property around the clock. But once again we must be careful anywhere whether at home or on vacation.
slc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

I read the reviews before traveling, there were comments about the noise on the street, and the stairs. I was a little concerned... my concerns were for naught. Stairs were manageable and noise, well it is hard to notice when you are sleeping with all walls open to a cool breeze off the pacific. A small downhill trot and and a few stairs will put you on the beach. The zona romantica was charming... perfect! full of local flavor. lovely people, terrific food, whether eating at a local restaurant or cooking up your own fajitas at home. Also, since you are up on the hill, you have the perfect sunset view.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Green Bay, Wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

We traded into Villa Loma Linda thru Interval for the week of April 9 thru 16. There were 5 adults and we had a 2 bedroom/2 bath villa with a full kitchen, livingroom that opened up to a huge patio with a hot tub and a view of Puerto Vallarta that was absolutely incredible. Every night the most beautiful sunsets from our hot tub. What more could you ask for. The front desk was very helpful for directions and calling taxi's for us. Because the Villa is built on a hill there are a lot of steps to deal with but after the first couple of days you get used to them. This Villa is not on the beach but with the 2 pools and our own hot tub we really didn't miss the beach. It is a 10 minute walk to downtown or the beach which really was no big deal.
We were told that this property will be converted to owner occupied only in 3 years, so if you have any desire to trade in I recommend doing it soon.
If you want comfortable, authentic Mexican accomodations, this is the place for you.
A couple of tips: bring potholder's if you plan to cook in. There is a gas grill on the patio and is great for cooking on. There is a huge water cooler with purified water which is replaced as needed so bring canteen's. The bed's are hard so be prepared. Bring ziploc bags for food storage as they have little ants that can into food stuffs.
Call ahead to reserve a hot tub on the patio if you are requesting a 2 bedroom Villa. Not all of them have it. You will pay an extra $100 for the week but we felt it was well worth it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Bucerias, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011 via mobile

Do NOT stay here! Felt Very unsafe - one break in, right beside us, occurred while the couple were in their unit SLEEPING!!!

• Stayed April 2011
The Villages, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

We exchanged our TimeShare for this unit ...... We were a little concerned with the number of stairs mentioned in other reviews. I didn't count them from our unit 'C1' to the top, but there were many landings to stop and rest when necessary so it was not as big of a problem as I had thought.

C1 was spacious ... huge deck, the hot tub was tiled but a little uncomfortable but nice to sit in at night. Not private but we did not worry about being 'exposed'. Everything is made out of concrete, the couch was a concrete base as was the bed. The mattress was 6 inches of foam and we easily bottomed out making us sore by weeks end. The openness of the unit was great. For us the 'no air conditioning' thing wasn't a problem. The only real problem or annoyance was the amount of street noise. Mexico Hwy 200 is right at the pool edge ... we were 30 ft above but noise rises. Our friends were in the middle of Zona Romantica and they heard all the night clubs ... so it's a trade off.

Victor, who checked us in was very helpful with suggestions. He trekked the suitcases down the hill ... I was glad for the help, he was excellent. The suggested 'TIP' was fine considering the help as was the maid service, she came and went and kept the unit nice and clean. Wireless Internet is available for $25.00 for the week, not bad considering what some hotel charge, I would have preferred it being free.

Overall Villas Loma Linda was a place I would suggest to my friends, they have 4 Studio Units that have great views, If you didn't need the room I would get the studio. The pool doesn't get full sun but there is a great place on the top of D building, infinity pool and areas to sunbathe.. and great Sunsets!. There is no food service on premises or 'Bar'

Food Shopping, unless you need lots of food don't go to Sam's Club or Costco. There is a Walmart next to Sam's but Soriana's or Mega have everything you need and they are closer to Villas LL.

We used Taxis while we were there. I recommend: Jesus Carrillo, he has a 14 passenger Toyota Min-Van lots of room for luggage too ... his Ph# from the USA is 011-521-322-135-3771 or his cell phone is 044-322-135-3771. We never had to wait long and he was there when we asked to get us to the airport.

Lastly ... BRING bug repent especially if you plan on going into the jungle, do the zip lines etc. There are 'No See Ums' ... and they WILL BITE! And bring Benadryl Itch Stopping Gel ... extra strength ... it works great or you will scratch your self silly.

I will post photos when I get them all transferred to my computer.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Villas Loma Linda? Share your experiences!