“Vallarta Surf Guide - The only way to go” 5 of 5 stars

+52 33 1625 9252
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Surf lesson, surf tours, stand up paddle lesson, rentals.
San Francisco, California, United States
“Vallarta Surf Guide - The only way to go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Jose was an excellent guide! He took us to the best waves in the area and showed us the best restaurants for beers and tacos afterwards. He is a truly genuine guy that made our Mexico trip feel authentic and unique. We never felt like he was "hired" - more like a local friend that wanted to share the best of his country. Muchos Gracias Jose!

Visited July 2013

San Francisco, California
“Great surf guide and all around great guy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I took a lesson from Jose while I was in Punta Mita. Jose showed up right on time and was ready to go. We checked a spot that looked pretty good, but Jose was confident that we could find something better. He was right. After a short drive in the car and a little bit of exploring, we ended up surfing a perfect right hander with NO ONE out.

Jose took the time to give me a bunch of great tips, and my surfing definitely improved. He really loves what he does and takes the time to make sure you have a great day in the water.

Thanks again Jose. See you again in paradise.

Bradon

Visited June 2013
San Francisco, California, United States
“Mahalo to Jose & Vallarta Surf Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

What an EPIC trip down to Punta de Mita. Great surf with Jose and the crew (Nano and Chino). They took me to some great spots that I would never have thought of going if I was alone. Perfect 4-6' waves all day long for 3+ days straight. Some of the beaches looked like they were straight out of a post card. Beyond surfing, Jose introduced me to some great people all around Punta Mita. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming.

I also had a large group of friends come down. I recommended that they call Jose for some surf. Everyone one who did said the same thing. Jose is awesome. We also rented 5 boards for the week. He has over 40+ boards for all levels of experiences.

I am definitely coming back and the first person I call will be Jose!

Gracias amigo!!!
Brian

Visited May 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“A great day of surfing with Jose, Bruno and Alex!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I found Jose (sometimes goes by Pepe), through trip advisor. He had us meet him at a location across the street from our resort, Villa Del Palmar at 9:00 am. Bruno, an additional instructor, was there waiting at 9:00 and Jose arrived in a large passenger van about 15 minutes later. It was Spring Break week and the trip from Punta de Mita to pick us up was longer for him than expected due to traffic. Jose is a good driver and we were comfortable for our trip back up to Punta de Mita making one stop along the way at Los Veneros to pick up one more Surfer. Once we arrived at the Punta de Mita beach near Jose's home, we went to the shore and began stretching with guidance from Bruno while Jose went to his home to pick up surf boards for himself and my family of 4. We then practiced proper technique for standing and catching waves on the beach before heading out on the water. Another 13 year old apprentice helper (Alex) showed up to help us catch waves and paddle out. Alex is a nationally recognized surfer in his age group. We spent hours playing in the waves. I am 51 years old and Jose had me surfing quickly. My wife who is also 51 caught many a wave, but had a little more difficulty standing on the board. My 16 year old son took to it like a pro as expected. He does every other board sport imaginable. My 12 year old daughter was a bit intimidated by surfing. So after about an hour, she headed back to play with the other girls at the beach. About noon we stopped for lunch at the local restaurant that had beachside service (100 feet from where we were surfing). By then, Jose's brother and his girlfriend had arrived to hang out with us and watch the action. One of Alex's friends was now hanging with us too. We felt very welcome and like real locals by now. There was a table full of us for lunch. Service at lunch took forever and was served in bits and pieces. We didn't care really because the atmosphere was so friendly relaxed. A few beach vendors stopped by the table, but there weren't many of them like there are at the resorts. After lunch we went back out surfing for a couple hours. I lost track of time, but I think we left the beach about 4:00 and headed back to Puerto Vallarta. Our overall experience was A++++++ positive. We would definitely go surfing with Jose again if we go back to Puerto Vallarta. Jose let us set the pace and he and his assistants were always there to make sure we were safe and having fun. Jose is an awesome teacher and coach. Did I mention he coaches the local surf team? At appropriate times, he would make suggestions and discuss next steps. He always had his eye on us and provided great guidance. We had friends that were in Puerto Vallarta that same week who went surfing with a different guide at Sayulita. They said it was crowded and hit or miss as to the instruction they received. If you want a surf guide who can take you to where the crowds aren't and the good waves are, give Jose a try. You won't regret it! Thank you Jose for such a memorable experience during our trip to Puerto Vallarta!!

Visited March 2013
Kamloops, Canada
“Not quite what I was expecting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I will start off by saying that I enjoyed our surfing lesson, but the overall experience was a bit unusual.

We were scheduled to be picked up at our hotel at 9AM, which came and went without anyone coming, about 9:20 I decided to try and send an email and sat and waited another 25 minutes before a young guy in an old VW Beatle showed up to pick us up. I was a bit surprised at his car as it had a myriad of issues, but I was really shocked at his driving. I realize that drivers in PV can be pushy and force their way in places, but this poor guy was tail-gaiting people on the highway! I certainly had a number of moments where I was fairly certain we'd get into some sort of accident; luckily we never did.

We drove by the beach area where the surfing was and went and picked up our board and rash guards from a small village nearby. It was also a bit un-nerving as we were parking in an alleyway in the seemingly abandoned village. After picking up a couple of surf boards, we loaded the VW up with surf boards on top and drove back to the surfing area. We then had to carry our boards down the hill to the surfing area.

We were asked to do some stretching before going out into the water, but were really given no direction on what kind of stretches would be helpful. After some basic static stretching we grabbed our boards and headed out for the lesson. Our instruction was very patient and encouraging and both the wife and myself were up on the boards quickly.

After a few hours of surfing we were exhausted and (after dropping off the boards again) our instructor stopped by a local produce stand and bought us some fresh coconuts that we drank the water from and ate the coconut.

If it wasn't for the car, and more so the frightening driving, I would have had nothing bad to say about the experience as a whole. Our instructor was friendly and helpful, but perhaps a tad inexperienced at teaching.

Visited April 2013