“A Perfect Afternoon” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Barbecue, Grill
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in a pristine, white sandy beach cove Ocean Grill is a great option for those who want to spend the whole day away from the crowds. Ocean Grill is not just a great restaurant, it is a destination on it's own. In order to serve you as you deserve, please reserve your spot in advance. For reservations and important information please visit our website.
Waterloo, New South Wales, Australia
“A Perfect Afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Staying in Zona Romantica we took a bus ride south of our villa to the last stop on the line. Pretty dicey road & I don't think the guard rails would have done much if called upon but a spectacular coastal drive none the less. At the end of the road we were met by a private water taxi which ferried us to our lunch destination; Ocean Grill. The restaurant's foundations have been blasted into the rocks of a magnificent cove & is one of a kind anywhere in the world. We were greeted by Wilson, the owner's Great Dane and then sat down for an amazing meal. I chose the smoked marlin tostadas and octopus coated in signature salamata tapanada with a few cervesas for good measure. After the meal you could lounge on the deck or take a dip in the private beach or swim off the floating jetty amongst the hundreds of fish. At the end of the day we returned to the mainland with the staff & owner Alfonso who then kindly offered us a lift back into town in his luxury SUV & regaled us with stories of how the restaurant came to be, the many celebrities that have dined there including the president & his time as a DJ & night club owner in Miami during the eighties (hence the restaurant's epic playlist). Don't forget to make a trip to the bathroom at some stage, best seat in the house!

Ozark, Missouri
“There are no words other than perfection.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

If I could pick anywhere in the PV area to build a home and restaurant, this is the PERFECT location. Everything about it makes me wish I would've done this, in this exact same spot. The food and service are wonderful. Wilson the dog is even a perfect host and companion. The views are great also. If the owner ever decides to ever sell this place, I'm in!

Seattle
“Great Way to Spend The Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Took the trail to Ocean Grill. End of rainy season and trail needs a bit of work, but not bad. It was hot and seamy under jungle canopy, where trail starts up the old stone stairs you start to notice it.
My son could have done it in 40 minutes or less, but being 75 years old it took me 2 hours. But we did not rush and enjoyed the water views along the way.
Staggered in to a surprised Alfonso, who email to say be sure to take the boat, but we missed the msg.
Food was great, son had octopus, and myself fish fillet. Had a swim and took sun on the nice sandy beach, than waded in the beach waterfall for a bit.
Went back to Grill for dessert, an another drink, enjoyed the deck and well minded Great Dane, Wilson. Than oped for the Grills boat back to Boca. Great way to send a day.

nashville, tn
“Experience of a lifetime!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I am SO glad that my husband and I took this venture. Our trip to PV would not have been complete without it. Make sure you make a reservation! From the moment we made our reservation, the owner was so nice and helpful. We decided to take the hike to the restaurant. After the taxi let us out, we had a little trouble finding where to find the entrance to the hike. At the waterfront where you catch the boats, take a left. Walk down the path until you get a to a little bridge. There is a sign at the top with a few arrows. I can't remember what it says, but the owner sends you the name in an email after you make your reservation. The sign is not obvious. Once we got onto the right trail, most of the hike was what seemed like we were walking through someone's back yard. Then we found some stairs. The hike wasn't strenuous, but it wasn't completely flat either. It ended up being a very beautiful journey. Once we came to the clearing and you can see the beach, it takes your breath away. We got there around 9-10:00. We were the first ones on the beach and it was great to just lay there in the quiet. There is a large great dane that lives on the property. He was very very sweet, but when I threw my towel on the ground (that I brought in a backpack), he thought I wanted to play and started barking. The owner quickly called him and all was fine. *Warning...as we were laying on the quiet serene beach, we began to hear music that slowly grew louder. We looked up to realize that one of the cruise boats was coming in and as they got even closer we realized that it was one of the gay cruises. Fortunately, it was time for our reservation, so we got our things and headed up the stairs to the restaurant. While we were eating, the boat full of gay men and loud music flooded the beach playing volleyball and frisbee. They didn't really disturb our meal as the beach was far enough away that it wasn't so loud and they left before we finished our meal. But it definitely put a damper on the serenity of the moment. Once we got done eating, we headed back down to the beach and the perfect untouched sand was now mauled by footprints. It was a distraction, but don't let it deter you from coming here. It was still worth every moment!! But it was still a beautiful beach and very relaxing.

Our meal was outstanding. I had the shrimp and my husband had the burger. I've never seen shrimp so big in my life. The service was great. All English speakers. They even gave us cold rags because they knew that we were hiking into the restaurant. The dog joined me at my feet for the meal. He didn't beg or anything just layed down beside me. He was very sweet.

They had the option of snorkeling, and we wanted to do it, but someone was already out with the gear and we didn't have time to wait for them to come back. We decided to ride the boat back to the dock rather than hike after a big meal. The boat was a little rocky getting into from the dock, but the driver was very helpful.

If we ever return to PV, this will be the first thing on my list to do!

• Visited January 2013
Los Angeles
“Great Lunch, Great Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

First off, my expectations of this restaurant was very high based on the reviews I've read-- and it actually exceeded my expectations. After a 35 minute bus ride from PV (corner of Basilio Badillo and Constitucion) for a merely 7 pesos, we ended up at Boca de Tomatlan. Walk down the main street, turn right at the only intersection, and you'll end up at the pier where we were picked up by a boat, courtesy of Ocean Grill. We made our reservation for 11:00 am and we were picked up at the pier at exactly 11 am. After about a 5 minute boat ride, we arrived at the restaurant and was greeted by the owner's dog, Wilson, a 140lb Great Dane. Take note, for those people that are uncomfortable with dogs-- this is a VERY BIG dog. Friendly, but huge. For lunch, we ordered the octopus, shrimp and red snapper. All I can tell you is that they were cooked and flavored perfectly. After lunch, we headed to the beach, and since it is low season, we had it to ourselves. We were brought back to Boca de Tomatlan and decided to go to Yelapa from there and made a day trip out of this lunch.