“good Times” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villas Vallarta by Canto del Sol

You added Villas Vallarta by Canto del Sol to your Saves list
Villas Vallarta by Canto del Sol
2.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jose Clemente Orozco 125 | Zona Hotelera Norte, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Ranked #76 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Maple Ridge, Canada
“good Times”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Spent two weeks at the Villas Vallarta By Canto Del Sol. Have been going to the resort for 5 yrs now, the last couple of years as been at the Villas. I feel this is a great value for your money and would recommend to anyone. Not a 5 * but a great place , very clean, good food, excellent staff. King size beds with a kitchen and nice deck. Rooms always well cleaned on a daily basis. The staff is found cleaning hallsways, walls, elevators all days long. The food is quite tasty , buffet style for lunch and supper but does have 3 a la carte restaurant. We found a few changes this year that improved our experience there as the villas. Improvements are always good! We are always warmly greeted when we arrived and sadly hugged when we leave. The staff is always smiling and going the extra mile to please us Canadians. I would recommend it to anyone. Our group is getting larger by the year but everyone is guaranteed a good time.! If you are wanting a 5 star then this is not for you but it you want a resort that is friendly, clean, good food, clean rooms and safe, then this is the one to go to. Close to the dowtown core with the Malecon. Buses, taxis close by. We use the "Blue" buses to get us to the core . It is always a fun experience!!!! See you there next year!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are good.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Maple Ridge District Municipality, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Just returned from two weeks at Villa Vallarta by Canto Del Sol. My first time there but several in our group have been going for five years. Room was large with a comfortable King Size bed. The hotel has a small pool with a stand up bar (not swim up). We crossed the little cul de sac every day to enjoy the large pool at the Canto del Sol, plus the restaurants over there as access was part of our package. The Villas is a 3.5 star supposedly but there wasn't anything to find fault with. Meals were good at the Canto Del Sol(sister hotel). Staff are excellent and speak English very well and they keep the place very clean. I felt safer on the resort property than in Vancouver. Trip was a WestJet package obtained through Flight Centre. Cost was $1,600. including air fare and all taxes. Good Value!

Monterrey, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This hotel is not beach front, which is really disappointing because: why bother going on vacations to a beach if you don't get a beach? Vallarta's weather is the worst, you almost can't breath because of the humidity and the unbearable heat!, so you can imagine my surprise when the lobby DIDN'T have A/C, and I had to wait like and hour (or more) to check in, and I couldn't stop sweating, it was very unpleasant. When I finally got to the room, I found the surprise that it was very, very clean, and somehow big, and the A/C was on so it felt like heaven in there. I had to walk A LOT to get to my room, really, a lot, it was very very far from the lobby and the only entrance. The whole place was VERY OLD.
The key to the room didn't work at all, it always got deactivated, and every time I went to get it activated again the staff was very rude, almost yelling to me that I shouldn't put the key next to my cellphone (btw I NEVER put it close to it).
The TV didn't worked, so they send an electrician to fix it there in my room, it was very uncomfortable, it took him like 2 hours to fix it. The maid started to cry and telling me that she was getting fired next week and that her husband cheated on her with a younger women. Then the toilet was clogged for almost my whole stay, and the water in the shower was like 200 degrees and you could not get cold water in the day.
This hotel is like a branch from "Canto Del Sol" which is a All Inclusive hotel, and you can buy a day pass to this hotel, but take my advice and DON'T do it, you get a different bracelet color and the staff notice this and they treat you like s**t, seriously; The first day I went to this hotel to get through the beach (because it's in front of Villas Vallarta) and the staff was VERY rude saying that I could not be there because I was not a guest, they practically throw me out in front of a lot of people watching the scene. The next day, after they humiliated me doing that, I bought a day pass in the hotel, but this only made it worse, the staff was always doubtful about me being a guest, and they always tried to get me uncomfortable in some way, ALL the staff treats you bad, there is no exception, like VERY bad, like if you were a thief, or something. I can honestly say that this was my worst experience in a hotel.
TRUST ME ON THIS, AVOID THIS HOTEL, otherwise you won't enjoy your vacations. If I could rate the "service" with -5 I would.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Home from another 2 wonderful weeks spent at the Villas Vallarta by Canto Del Sol. Our 2nd time at the Villas, before that 3 times at the Canto Del Sol. (group of 10 this year)
We really enjoy the quietness at the Villas. The rooms are not updated as over at the Canto, but we really don't mind not having a flat screen TV, we rarely watch it. The rooms are perfect for us, large, king size bed, and a small kitchenette, the fridge we did use and a balcony, and did I say clean. We were in room 617 which had a view of the pool, and Canto from our patio. Looking out our door we had a nice view of the city.
Our room was promptly and throughly cleaned everyday. All day long the floors, walls, and elevator were being cleaned. We watched people come and inspect every aspect of the hotel.
This year "The Grill" al la carte is located at the Villas Vallarta. What used to be a unused area on the 1st floor has been transformed into a lovely restaurant. Loved the water feature, and the food was very good.
Both the Mexican al la carte and Italian are located at the Canto Del Sol. The Mexican al la carte was tasty as always with many familiar faces working. We found the Italian al la carte was greatly improved this year, as they seemed to have settled into the new location. All 3 were worth a repeat visit. The main buffet is over at the Canto. it's a buffet, but we always found something tasty to eat. I am not sure what more they could do with the buffet. There usually was at least 2 fish and 2 chicken selections, as well as pork and beef. A variety of fresh and cooked vegetables, 2 soups, salads. This year we had guacamole at lunch almost everyday, it was very tasty. Every Friday a Mexican Fiesta is held, the food is wonderful. So much work is put into this event, we found it very enjoyable.
Loved sitting by the ocean every morning having breakfast often watching whales and dolphins from our table. Chuey you are the best ! Thanks for making each morning such a great start to our day.
The staff at the Villas Vallarta and Canto Del Sol are what makes both these resorts so amazing. Always a smile, and always willing to do anything they can to make sure you are having a super time. We got such a warm welcome from the staff when we arrived, and warm hugs when we left to come home. Next year I have a feeling there will be more then 10 of us coming. Would I recommend this place? Yes! I bring my family and closest friends with me every year. If you want a "posh" place, the Villas is not for you. But if you are looking for clean, friendly, pretty darn good food, and a good location in the hotel zone, try it you might like it !

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that is not near Gold's Gym.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

We have been staying at Villas Vallarta since January 26. Will be going home on the 10th of February. The hotel is older but conveniently located to the Marina and to the Malecon. The staff have been exceptional . We have been amazed how every day all day long they are cleaning . We are here all inclusive so have access to amenities at both Cantos Del Sol and Villas Vallarta. The food has been good and there are many restaurants nearby if you would like a change from the buffet. When we first arrived we were given a room that we weren't happy with...we politely went to the front desk and they accommodated us and gave us a room by the pool. Having an awesome vacation. Have met people who have been coming back every year for years. Would come back..

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Let me begin by saying this was our second time in Puerto Vallarta, first time was at Canto Del Sol and we knew Villas Vallarta is only a 3 star hotel.
Cons:
Bare light bulb in the bathroom and I could see straight through to the outside through the hole in the ceiling. We needed 3 new bulbs in the first 2 days in various places. The hairdryer was also missing from our room (619) but they provided one in short order (and made darned sure that it was still there when we checked out).
I had to practically beg the front desk for a room near the pool but after much conversation back and forth (in Spanish) the two desk clerks gave us a room overlooking the pool on the second floor. Our room had a small kitchen with a fridge but the sign on the wall said that the use of the kitchen appliances was restricted to time-share owners only. The food is so-so at either Villas or Canto. Between them they have 3 al-a-carte restaurants. The best I would say is the Italian only because my parmesan chicken dish was really good. The Grill boasts filet mignon, spicy fish, ribs, t-bone steaks and a mixed grill with mexican sausage. Sausage is just another name for weiners and they show up in many dishes at the buffett. Don't expect Alberta beef at the Grill but but my "filet" was tender. If Westjet offers you a city tour, free of not, I would advise against it. The tour guide will take you directly to too many expensive stores where you spend too much time instead of touring the city. Included is a tequila tasting experience which is fun but after that, you are expected to order lunch from the tequila business owners. Ours was really pricey so we just had a beer and a coke. If your not eating, there is nothing to do but wait however, the bus trip into the mountains was very nice.
Pros:
This really is a clean hotel and the lobby and staircases are lovely. The staff (except for the front desk) is exceptionally friendly. Our balcony was huge and offered 2 chairs with still plenty of room. The king sized bed was very comfy with high quality pure white sheets. The location of Villas Vallarta was perfect. Mega store is about three blocks to the south, Soriana 3 blocks to the north, Walmart is walkable in about 40 minutes but it's entirely do-able, same with Costco if you are up for it in the heat as well as downtown and the Melacon. We walked back from the "romantic zone" in 30 minutes. Try the bus! It's so much fun and it goes everywhere. Take the one called TUNEL and you see another side of PV. It stops in the romantic zone and only three blocks to the ocean but HOLD ON, these things practically fly! The nightly entertainment at Canto is quite professional and enjoyable and the pool there is beautiful. Really pleased that we could go back and forth between the two hotels. The pool at Villas Vallarta is quiet and restful with its own bar. The drinks are good and they will try to make anything you ask for.

If we visit PV again, I don't think I would stay at Villas Vallarta again. It's just too old.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Seriously I cannot believe some of the negative reviews for Villas Vallarta. Obviously these people don't travel much or expect 5 star service and accomodations for a 3 star price.
TRUTH: This hotel is a 3 star, located in a busy section of town and it is old.
It's not a cushy resort, but basic and clean. The staff is great, if you can manage to dodge the timeshare people. Just tell them up front that you are bankrupt or have no credit, or are not 'a couple'... whatever. They are only looking ot earn a living like everybody else. That is I think the worst part of staying there.

We travelled there end of November, got in late evening and were put in a room that looked like it hadn't been used for a long time. It was by the staff elevator and although it had a huge balcony, it was dusty and noisy. In the morning we changed rooms... no problem whatsoever.
No evidence of bedbugs anywhere, and our cleaning lady was super thorough.
This hotel is huge enough that no one should have to stay in a room they are not happy with.
Our second room was overlooking the pool, far enough over that our balcony was very private and quiet.

Our package included use of Canto Del Sol, which we did on a daily basis. We have stayed there before but found it to be sometimes noisy depending on where your room was.
Food was ok, my favorites were actually the snack bar tacos made fresh by the pool. Delish!

Our deal was soooo reasonable... our entire westjet package for 2 weeks was same price as 2 flights, so almost like staying and eating and drinking for free... watch the deals and book about 6 weeks before your holiday, and always before the xmas rush.
We toured around on the bus and did a couple day trips. One to Mariettas island was particularly great, saw whales, dolphins, sea turtles and went to a hidden beach.
Puerto Vallarta has alot to offer, much of it off the beaten track.
We also found a wonderful dentist and paid less than 1/3 for our dental work which was excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Villas Vallarta by Canto del Sol? Share your experiences!