“Now that's what I call Amber.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Now Amber Puerto Vallarta

You added Now Amber Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   David Alfaro Sisqueiros 164 | Col. Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Now that's what I call Amber.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We were very sad to leave this great resort as there weren't many faults (bar the scuba diving which is another matter...) My family and I have been to Mexico seven times and it was safe to say that we have never experienced such outstanding food and service. It was like dining in a 5* restaurant every night! We ended up having such fun in their that we missed the shows most nights, however the one we did get to see (fire performance) was fantastic! The staff were extremely friendly and location was fine. Puerto Vallarta was a five minuet cab drive down the road to where we spent our last evening which too was a lovely place to walk around. The hotel in general was VERY clean however the only one problem we had was the room service to which we ordered twice. the first time it was cold and the second time it was over an hour and twenty minuets late. All in all it was one of the best hotels I have stayed in and would suggest it to anyone!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Great hotel, stayed here with my girlfriend and her parents - this was the second time I have visited Mexico, the first to the Pacific side. I was very impressed with the check in - speed plus nice little touches such as fruit and cold towels upon arrival ect.

The room was very good - big and I loved the open plan style it had - there was a reasonable sized balcony as well. The room consisted of; double bed, jacuzzi bathtub, separate shower facilities (with seating facilities), closed door toilet and wardrobe space. The rooms are very good and it is lovely to sit on the balcony at night and in the morning.

I am a foodie and the food was very good and the quality of the food was superb. There is also a lot of choice for you as to where you want to eat - which when staying for two weeks is nice! The resort offers a buffet style restaurant, again good quality but not the best dining experience to be had at the hotel, my favourite was the "Market Garden" located in the Secrets side. having dinned at "Bennihanna" seeing the hotel offered a Japanese tempanyaki style cooking i was looking forward to some of the theatrics along with great Japanese food - however there was none, this for me is the only disappointment in a two week stay which is an easy fix, for the hotel.

The staff are great and friendly and really do go above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable - there is waiter service to your bed when sunbathing. As well as the entertainment staff that have activities around the clock.

In short the place is fabulous and you will not go wrong booking here, we all had a fabulous time and wished we had stayed for longer!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room higher than the 4th floor for the best views!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jefferson City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We went last month to Now Amber and had a GREAT time. Here are some things we feel worth sharing:

1. The property itself is VERY well kept. The employees go above and beyond to take care of their guests. No kidding - we contacted the property ahead of time to see if they partnered with a local orphanage so our family could possibly go volunteer for the day to love on kids. One of the NOW employee's, Esmarelda Alcala offered to take our family to and from an orphanage. On her day off this sweet lady took my family in her personal vehicle and even left her iphone (with her friend's number in it as the last number called and her home number as the other number saved) with us incase we needed anything while we were there. Then we offered her a tip when she returned us to the property and she would NOT take it - she truly went above and beyond. I cannot thank her enough. My family had a GREAT time at the R.I.S.E. orphanage and I would encourage anyone who wants to do this to email the orphanage ahead of time and arrange it - totally a fun day!!!! :)

2. We also LOVED Rosa who worked at the Carnival restaurant - she remembered our room number and last name every morning. She always had a smile on her face! :)

3. I would recommend bringing some of your own floating toys (tubes, beach balls, etc.) as we used these in the pool or in the ocean and enjoyed ourselves. We then just gave them to another family when we left so they could enjoy them. It's not worth trying to uninflate them and stuff them in your suit case.

4. The food was GREAT! The steak at Capers was honestly so YUMMY that I would eat it over the pasta dishes they offered there. SOOOOO good!!!! We also watched the waiter at the Mexican restaurant make a Flambe Coffee - impressive.

5. We did have a room that had a swim out pool. Totally worth the upgrade - it was nice too because you are on the ground floor and you don't have to sit and wait for the elevator all the time.

6. The rooms are large and even though we reserved a room with 2 beds we had to get one that had a king bed in it and just get a roll away. The roll away was HUGE and we still had lots of room to move around in the room.

7. We did book several excursions through Apple vacations when we got there. The zip line company (Los Veranos) was GREAT! I went with my 7 year old and they took VERY good care of her and made sure she felt safe and had fun. They even let you bring you own camera to take pics with (not all zip line companies let you do this). I just would recommend you bring a small camera and you have a way to attach it to yourself with a carabiner or something similar so you can securely fasten it to yourself while going on the line. Because if you drop it - it is gone forever!

We also did the swim with the dolphins excursion. It was cool but honestly not our favorite excursion. Which is disappointing when you pay that much money for 1 hour of time. :(

8. Our ONLY complaint about the property is the beach. It was VERY rocky and I am SO glad we had water shoes with us. No exaggeration - rocks that were 6" in diameter would wash up in a wave and nail you in the shin or ankle. That hurts and is not so much fun. The water wasn't blue at all but I was informed that was due to it being the rainy season and the water from the mountains empties out into the ocean and manages to mucky it up during this time.

The other comment for the beach is how crazy it is to have MANY vendors that try and sell their wares to you while you are on the beach (at one time there were 15 of them lined up). I didn't let them phase me and I opted to just always so "no thank you" and they didn't bother me again (for that day). I told my kids to just be polite and say "no thank you" and keep walking. This seemed to work but it is kind of crazy.

My family had a GREAT time and enjoyed the people and the community of Puerto Vallarta. Thanks NOW for all the fun! :)

Room Tip: Being on the ground floor has it's perks of not having to deal with waiting for the elevator. B...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Nelson, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We were very sad to see that Dreams PV had been sold, and chose NOW Amber as a sub. Our main deciding factor was that there was still an Explorer's Club for our 5 and 8 year old. That turned out to be the biggest disappointment of our trip - see separate review - but without that part the rest of the resort was superb.

There was a hard sell on joining their vacations club, although we were NOT forced in to it. We chose to attend, there was no obligation, and we could have pulled out at any time. That said, it took 4 hours, and when we finally managed to get out and examine the evidence, it soon became clear that we would not have gained anything by joining. It isn't time-share.....well, not by that name...but I'd suggest that you just tread carefully if you are considering. Are those 'promised' upgrades really going to be available on your special dates?? Thank heavens for Google....enough said.

Good sides to Now Amber - great food (lots of choice), lovely pools, excellent poolside activities, sweet room (we did pay for a poolside room - well worth the price!), and first rate staff.

Less than great: the large, rowdy crowd that took over the poolside bar - I guess that we've got to expect that everywhere, but it would have been nice to see an 'adults only' segregation to keep the pissheads away from the very impressionable 5 year olds trying to reach out for their virgin mudslides between two consenting adults intent on re-enacting one of several intimate scenes from 9 1/2 Weeks.

Our room service was - intermittent. On large check-out days, staff was clearly stretched, and room cleaning became 'turndown'. Instead of a full room clean, what would happen was that about 6pm (6pm!!!) we would get a knock at the door - at about the time we were starting to get the children into the shower - with a call of 'room service'. We were then offered a 'full room service' at a time when the staff knew full well that we were likely in the room and that they would be in our way. It was so obvious from their body language (apologetic) that they really, really did not want to clean our room so late. They gave us 4 chocolates and soon left. As we work in the hotel industry we know very well that this is an old trick - a way to save on housekeeping costs whilst appearing to offer a service. It is not a five star service - it is shoddy and transparent. We paid for more than this, and that's why 4 out of 5 is a fair reflection of our experience.

Evening shows: quite poor in relation to our previous experiences at Dreams. In fact, after the first five or six nights, we gave up going altogether. This is a part of the 'guest experience' that NOW really needs to ramp up....no-one is ever going to recommend this place as a result of its shows. The 'circus' was a ramshackle collection of barnacled extras from 'Beyond the Thunderdome' attempting a sort of cosmic pow-wow, plus sparkling hula hoops, with half-breed low-lifes who had failed to gatecrash Glastonbury in 1997 and instead had yoked themselves to a lifetime of misery trailing behind a third rate 70s rock music cover band. Living' the dream. The children didn't quite get it; parents were embarrassed. Priceless moment: The 'Axl Rose' frontman actually shouted ' I love you Puerto Vallarta!" at one point, and the 80 or so strong audience all looked behind themselves to see who he was pointing at. Either drugs or the ambivalence had truly kicked in at that point.

But still 4/5 is fair, as we had a great holiday, and the day-to-day things (sun-beds, buffets, rooms, pools, front desk. atmosphere, staff, restaurants) were fine.

Room Tip: Swim-out rooms offer great tranquility.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Just came back from a 5 days stay at this resort. The pools are awesome for kids. We spent a lot of time at the kid's pool and it was a blast for my 2 and 5 year old. The areas were well maintained and clean. My son spent a day at the kid's club and enjoyed it. All the servers were really friendly and nice. The foods were ok. They need to work on the Japanese menu a little. The beach was nice and not busy but a little rocky in the water. The room was as expected. Nice and clean. The Free WiFi was a big disappointment. If you are not at the lobby area then forget about it. They need to have a drink menu. There are hundreds of drinks but coming up with those that are available could be a challenge.
We will definitely stay here again but not until our younger kid turns at least 4 due to the kids club.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have stayed at this resort many times and I have never been disappointed. I have travelled extensively all over the world and never came across staff that cared so much about the job that they do.
The food is really good yes there have been sometimes that the meal was not what I had expected but that happened anywhere. Again the staff were there to make it right.
Rooms were fantastic beautifully decorated, beds and linens comfortable and spotless.
Room service very good and no long waits for it.
The staff always has a big hello and smiles, if you are unhappy at this hotel you won't be happy anywhere!
I am at present planning a wedding, at this resort Fatima Rueda is my wedding co-ordinator and I have to tell you she is the best. I have had to change my dates several times (family ugg lol) she met these changes promptly, I honestly can't believe how fast.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I just returned froma week in PV at Now Amber in the preferred club area and had an amazing time. The preferred status upgrade is well worth it particularly for the upgrades liquor sand access to conveient preferred bar where me and my fellow travelers befriended the nicest and best bartender at the resort, Alfredo. He was the best, every night entertaining us with his clever creations such as rainbow shots and performing is magic. He kept us engaged with fun discussions and lively personality. It was sad to leave because he was such a great person to befriend and learn about the area and country fun. He never got tired of answering all of our silly questions and teaching us new Spanish words. Alfredo will not be forgotten. Also a special shout out and thanks to Benny who worked downstairs in the lobby who was there every morning to greet all the guests with. Handshake and good morning attitude while browsing the special ale editor of foods throuout the morning and early afternoon. These two gentleman were a great part of our wonderful eerie nice for our week. Thanks again for all the staffs friendliness!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!