“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Now Amber Puerto Vallarta

You added Now Amber Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   David Alfaro Sisqueiros 164 | Col. Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Lake Stevens, Washington
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

First time in Puerto Vallarta for my wife and I. A very nice resort. It's a bit spendy, but well worth the money if you want a good all inclusive hotel. A good assortment of restaurants with a wide variety of food. I've been to only one other all inclusive and I wasn't impressed with the food, or drink choices. But here, they even change up the buffet to have theme night meals which made it much more pleasurable. Top shelf liqueur added to the positive marks for this hotel. The staff was very professional and very accommodating to needs and wants. We had a chance to experience the spa and it was quite impressive. They supply many activities...that don't cost extra...which allows a person to stay active without having to go outside the hotel. We did do a couple of excursions through Vallarta Adventures. A great organization! I'll be writing a review on them also. Nothing but high marks as our outings were awesome! This is a quality hotel that does well to make your sure you get a good value for your money. Like I said, it's a bit expensive, but the rooms are very nice. And with the quality of food and drink, along with the great staff, it is money well spent.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 10th floor...junior suite. I done thin there is a bad room in this hotel. The way i...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Went to Now Amber based on recommendation from a travel agent. Didn't have to suffer through any time-share speech because we booked through mom's RCI membership. Hotel was beautiful. Went with husband, daughter-18, son-15, son-13 and mom-72. All of us women loved the food; more adventurous than the guys. Almost everything we ate was really good/excellent. Boys wanted steak/burgers but Mexico is not the place to get them. Disappointed there was no basketball court for boys. Seemed to be more young kids, under age 10, less teenagers. Also seemed as though many adults with no kids picked the Now Amber side to vacation (cheaper?) Would have preferred more teens but even so, it was a great vacation. Excellent service. The massage place, to the left as you walk out of the resort, Healing Hands, was unbelievable. Josephina was THE BEST! $25 for an hour massage. My husband and I both had two while we were there :) Even 15 and 18 year old kids had one. Also did Extreme Adventure Zip Lining with Vallarta Adventures. Expensive but fun. Even mom participated! The last walk up to the Superman zip line was wicked hard but the staff drove mom up to the top of the hill; it would have been too hard for her. Overall, really fun time but very happy to get home. Maybe would go back with just husband :) All other reviews were right about music at night - very loud several nights. Last night was REALLY loud and annoying.

Room Tip: We were on floor three of the preferred area on Now side - very loud music at night.
Sherwood Park, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

The Now Amber is a smaller resort than what I have been used to in the past. It is 2 towers, 1 preferred tower and 1 non-preferred tower. It is also attached to the Secrets resort which is a mirror image to the Now but with only a few slight changes as it is an adult only compared to the kid friendly Now Side. ( Kids Pool, Slide )

We stayed in the preferred tower which has a small lobby on the first floor for preferred guests that contained basic food for breakfast and snacks during the day. The preferred tower bar is located on the 2nd floor above the lobby and is a little segregated from the lobby where you can sit and have drinks and hang out with your own private bar tender. Also internet available here.

Our room number in the preferred tower was 1374 and it was equipped with everything that one would need to make your stay enjoyable. Mini bar stocked with drinks and water, and a few snacks. There is a blow dryer, and iron / ironing board, umbrella, robes, slippers, scale, extra toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, shaving cream, etc.

The interesting part about the preferred rooms was the Jacuzzi tub on the balcony. With a large soaker tub and separate shower in the bathroom. We were their with a large group for a wedding and we visited 3 different preferred rooms and they were all the same with only slight differences. king size bed vs. 2 doubles or a larger balcony like our room compared to the other rooms we saw which had small balconies.

The main lobby is where out group always met and it is located on the 3rd floor of the main tower. Excellent view, comfortable and worth watching the sunset from.

In general it is a fantastic resort with nice staff. No real complaints at all but I have to mention the following things that we had to contend with when we were there. This stuff may bother you but it may not. We are pretty easy going so it didn't bother us much but it is stuff worth mentioning.

The biggest thing we noticed is that moving between towers is kind of silly. The preferred tower exists on the 1st floor only and the lobby of the main tower is on the 3rd floor. During the whole trip we had to go up the elevators or the back staircase over and over again. you will notice when you go. If you want to go to a restaurant on the secrets side and you are on the 3rd floor of the preferred tower on the Now side like we were you have to first go down to the first floor, exit the tower. Make your way to the main tower and go up the third floor. Cross the Now lobby then cross the Secrets lobby. Go down from the 3rd story to the first story to go to the restaurant. Sounds petty I know but do that 5 to 10 times a day.

Things the staff could have done better. Sometimes the coffee in the room was not restocked, Bottle opener was removed. Mini bar was partly restocked some days, Some areas of the room ( behind the bathroom toilet door ) looked like they had not been cleaned in weeks. Kleenex replaced the day it runs out not 2 days later.
They could have listened to us one day when we brought something to their attention. The issue they didn't take care of was cleaning up a number of straight pins we found in the sand around the chairs we were lying in. They must have fell off of something from the wedding the night before. After I told one of the waiters at the pool bar and gave some of the pins, he told me he would tell his boss so that it would be taken care of. We noticed nothing regarding the clean up of the pins over the next number of hours. We picked up a number more but none of the staff did. Wouldn't want a needle in my foot.

Things the staff did well. When issues were brought the attention of the staff they took care of them in a prompt manner normally. They were very nice all around and tried to make every ones vacation enjoyable. I could complain about any of them.

Some of the complaints from others in our group was that kids were in the pool bar splashing around where they were drinking. They heard later it was supposed to be an adult pools. they were not happy the kids were not asked to leave.
There were also some complaints that the pool bar was slow to get you drinks. In their defence there are not enough bars or staff around the pool to keep the drinks flowing.

And I think that should be enough. Would I stay here again...... No but that isn't because of anything in particular. I like to hang out on the beach but the beach isn't very good here. I would like to stay where the beach is better that's all.

Room Tip: I'm sure all the rooms are good and I'm not sure the preferred club is worth the extra money...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

This was our second visit to Now Amber. My husband and I spent 5 nights in January 2014 without our kids. We loved the resort and just returned from a 6 night trip with our 2 boys – Age 9 & 7.

Due to Spring Break, the hotel was full. We had requested a higher floor with our reservation but were disappointed to be told the only available room was 1551 on the fifth floor. Being on the 5th floor wasn’t bad but the location of this room – This has to be the worst room in the resort. The deck is blocked by a wall next to you. The front desk staff was helpful and seemed to research options but we were told our best option would be to wait until Saturday when many rooms would become available. Typically I dislike moving rooms during a stay but I was glad to move to have a view. On Saturday we were moved to a room on the 9th floor. Still not as high as I’d like but much better! (There are 15 floors in the main tower)

The resort grounds – 5+ stars! Beautiful & clean! Employees were cleaning around the clock.

Room Décor – 5+ Stars! Last time we stayed in the Preferred Club. If there are rooms available and you can upgrade for a lower price at check in, I would consider option but if you are paying much more, I don’t think it’s worth it. There really isn’t much of a difference.

Maid Service – They failed to restock the fridge one day. This wasn’t a big issue but we were out of water and had to leave the room to go grab some. Other than that, rooms were cleaned very well & they did a great job.

“VACATION CLUB” – If any resort is willing to give you high compensation for your time to attend breakfast & you must bring your credit card – It’s a sales pitch. When you check in they will ask if you to come sit with them to get your coupons. Unless you plan on upgrading wine or spa services in the hotel, skip the coupons. We didn’t use any of them in our prior stay so this time I said we really just wanted to get to our room and I would stop by later if I wanted the coupons. The “sales” person asked a few questions and I made it clear we did not attend the presentation during our last stay and would not this time either. We met a few couples throughout our stay – about ½ said they felt harassed and the other ½ said they weren’t bothered. We were luckily and were not asked again.

Breakfast Buffet – There is only one place open during breakfast hours which are the buffet (other than the coffee shop) However, I can’t imagine anyone not finding something they enjoy. My kids loved it.
Castaways – Excellent fish tacos. You can order a few items from the menu to eat at the pool chairs from the servers, which they don’t tell you unless you ask.
Himitsu – We ate here once and it was fun/different for our family. Kids loved sitting in the “holes” on the floor for chairs. Food was good.

ROOM SERVICE– Good menu selection for room service. We ordered 3 times and only had a problem once. We ordered the “American breakfast” and all they sent was the toast. Loved the rancheros eggs.
SHOWS – Great, Great Shows!!! Do not miss the Fire show which was on Sunday night during our stay. The kids & adults were amazed!

WIFI – This is still my BIGGEST complaint! Yes, it’s Mexico but the service is limited. I noticed families sitting in the lobby just to get good service. It appears they have improved. The WIFI selections are not separated between Now Amber & Secrets which they were in January. I think this helped. Service was still very in/out in the pool area and in the rooms.

DRINKS – Excellent drink service at the pool! We also had excellent service is all of the restaurants!.

SPA - We did not go to the spa in the hotel .During our prior trip we discovered Healing Hands Massage which is right outside the hotel. Do not be scared off by the lack of décor. It’s clean and they are awesome! I went 4 out of 6 days during our stay. 1 hour massage for $25 – You can’t beat it!

POOLSIDE – People will save chairs. The ones closest to the pool with the bar were gone earlier but we never had a problem finding a good spot. Loved the bar in the pool. Most afternoons there was a buffet set up poolside also. There is a food area open during main pool hours where you can grab food by the pool but it is catered towards kids. Chips & cheese sauce. Our kids loved the pretzels & cheese!

BEACH – There was an outbreak of Jelly Fish during our stay so we didn’t see anyone in the water. Usually they have a blow up trampoline/slide for the bigger kids in the ocean but this was “beached” the entire time to be safe. There are some vendors on the beach but we found they were very courteous and only asked once and then left you alone.

ENTERTAINMENT STAFF – These guys are working for you during your stay! Similar to a cruise, they give out a daily flyer which lists the activities for the day. Love this idea!! It also tells you the schedule for the restaurants/etc. They had poker tournaments, bocce ball games, archery, bingo, dance lessons/etc. The watersports were cancelled due to jellyfish so there were staff members in the kids pools playing with the kids. My oldest Son had a blast with Alieigh. Ceaser & Mirianna were great! (sorry about the spelling)

I think we may try an all-inclusive in Cabo for our next trip so we have another comparison but I am sure we will make our way back to Now Amber again in the next few years.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed at the Now Puerto Vallarta during our spring break. We were at the hotel with four other families so had a fairly large group, 10 adults and 9 kids.

We had all booked rooms in the preferred club. Check in was quick and efficient, we arrived during earth hour so quite dark while walking to the preferred tower, however, completely understandable. Everything was ready at the preferred desk and they had managed to put four or our rooms together on the same floor, which we had requested prior to arrival.

Rooms were very nicely appointed and very clean. Beds were okay, however, pillows were massive and hard. Led to some sore necks in the morning. Bathroom was very roomy with a separate toilet area and nice shower area. Balcony could have been bigger with more robust furniture, however, all rooms seem to have a jacuzzi on the balcony, we never used it.

Resort is quite compact but that was fine, several pools so you could decide if you wanted activities or not. Kids loved the waterside pool and the activity pool the most. Didn't really use the "Pee Pool" (swim up bar pool) as it was alway pretty jammed especially after a large group arrived our 2nd day.

Beach was okay, could have been less rocky but was rough on most days anyway so only used it once or twice during the week. If you want better beaches head to Punta Mita or someplace else (i.e.. Cancun, Caribbean, Hawaii).

Kids club was okay, however, our kids did not like the rigid schedule they were stuck to. We therefore paid one of the workers a few bucks to allow out kids to have a mid-day baseball game every afternoon as they do have nice kids facilities with a climbing wall, soccer/baseball field, trampoline, bungee trampoline and jungle jim. They also have inside areas but the kids did not go there.

Food was good at all establishments, we tried all but the mexican restaurant. You should consider allowing children in the Teppanyaki area as it would be entertaining for the kids.

Best food was a la carte selections. Buffet's had a lot of selection, just no really buffet people. Went to the adults only Italian Restaurant at Secret's one night and the food and ambiance was excellent.

The staff at the hotel were mostly excellent, service was slow at times, however, this may have been due to full occupancy.

We had a great time and would recommend this hotel to others in the future. Probably won't be back ourselves as a better beach is important. Thanks.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

My girlfriend and I are returning to this resort for our second time in two years! We booked our vacation through Westjet Vacations both years. I have to firstly thank them for how wonderful they have been. If it is your first time to Mexico they make you feel very safe and they give lots of excellent information and recommendations. They have a representative on the resort who you can book any tours with and avoid any timeshares.

The hotel is in an excellent location, it is approximately 15 minute cab or bus ride from the airport. You are about a 20 minute cab ride to Nuevo Vallarta which costs about 20 dollars. And about a five minute cab ride to the boardwalk which costs 60 pesos ( 5 dollars). In both cases there are tons of neat little restaurants within walking distance. Lots of little souvenir shops located. The boardwalk is very interesting to walk around for half the day and check out the local culture.

One other thing to note is there is a HSBC bank right outside the gates of the hotel. You can take pesos or American money out with only a 3.50 charge on your debit card.

When you arrive to the hotel the bell boys greet you with a lemon scented cold tower to cool your self down. As well as a glass of champagne to welcome you. When you enter the lobby to check in there is a lovely lounge area that overlooks the pool areas and the ocean. The sunsets from this area are spectacular. The hotel is split into two sides now amber and secrets. The secrets side has its own pools that are adults only and the now amber has a kids pool with a water slide.

The food on the resort is amazing there is a total of 6 a la carte restaurants which either side can take use of. There is a Himitsu (Japanese) Tamirindo (Mexican) Bordeaux (French) Capers (Italian) Castaways (Steak and Seafood) and a Mediterranean one that I forget the name of. Our favourite was the Japanese restaurant the tempura vegetables and the rolls were amazing. The tapenyaki show was also very good. There is no reservations required and also no wrist bands. The portion sizes are fairly small but if you order an appetizer a main course and a desert it is the perfect amount of food.

The entertainment staff is wonderful and have fun activities to do around the pool. But they are not pushy if it is not your thing they just move on. There is shows every night well almost every night which are pretty good. Not the usual cheesy ones you see at some hotels.

The staff is so amazing and the service is outstanding. The pool waiters are very fun and energetic. We enjoyed our two week stay and would come back in a heart beat. We would highly recommend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: All views are ocean view. Can select rooms on lower level with a swim out pool for an additional pri...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lake Tahoe CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We can only echo everything else that has already been said...great rooms, great staff, great service for sure. So focusing on a few tips:

Although the preferred rooms didn't really offer substantial advantages in perks, it was all about the location. The food in the preferred lobby was actually pretty substandard compared to other choices. The extra private bar on the second floor...there just was no need. But the proximity to the pools was great. In the preferred building, two elevators serve very few rooms, so it was relatively speedy, in the main building three elevators serve many rooms, so it's often a slow wait at busy times.

We ended up eating most of our meals at the Castaway. The sunsets and ocean views were just too important to us. We did one meal at himitsu. The sushi was good but not spectacular. The teppanyaki show tables looked pretty dull. We hated the underground feeling...so never tried Tamarindo or Capers.

We had a couple of good pool waiters that we tipped well, which is fine as long as they were around. Once we established a rapport with those waiters, others ignored us completely. Fortunately Jose at the swim up bar was right there to keep us going.

In the main building...just get used to using the steps between level one and three. You'll save a lot of time and feel better about that extra dessert you ate.

We'll definitely return to the Now Amber.

Room Tip: Preferred building for proximity and speedy elevators. Higher floor and bigger room number for best...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!