“Beautiful hotel, great stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Now Amber Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Now Amber Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   David Alfaro Sisqueiros 164 | Col. Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 120 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
“Beautiful hotel, great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Nothing to complain about on this trip. Went for a wedding and it was awesome. Perfect weather, great food, delicious drinks and food.

I would definitely check out the Puerto Vallarta Zoo where you get to hold baby tigers/lions. Amazing experience.

The beach is great to sun tan on, not for swimming though but nobody whose priority is a gorgeous beach will go to PV.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

951 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Florence, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My family stayed at Now Amber 21-26 July. It was my sister, her boyfriend, my husband and our 2 kids (ages 7 & 17mths). The rooms were nice and were kept clean on a daily basis. Even though the weather was a bit rainy we still got to enjoy the pool and beach. Housekeeping was good and the poolside waiters were excellent. We have stayed a Dreams resort in Cancun before and I still prefer Dreams better. Chose this resort b/c amenities seemed similar to that of Dreams
Here are the following issues that we had:
1. the organized events were not very well organized. I.e. morning yoga. The location was not specific so we were late to it. Pool activities were on time only 50% of the time.
2. Food was lacking and restaurants that did take kids always put you outside with the heat, bugs, and birds. Thought this was a family friendly resort.
3. Dress code at some restaurants was unreasonable for men. They would rather a man where some old raggedy jeans than a nice pair of linen/silk shorts. That needs to be modified.
4. Transportation to outside excursions was lacking. At previous resorts we stayed at (Dreams, RIU, Sandals, Beaches) they arranged for your transportation to offsite excursions. We had to find a taxi that really did not have enough room for all of us.
5. The evening entertainment was in conjunction with Secrets next door. The entertainment was ok but the venue/area was lacking. Suggestion: a more accommodating area for entertainment b/c the theatre used was not good for kids to be able to see the performances. Additionally having entertainment in area where you can have drinks (waiters) would be a plus.

I would like to commend the event personnel with assisting us with an unruly individual that was irate about her sits that were taken by the pool that she had 'saved' 2+hours earlier with towels provided by the resort. She felt that favoritism was being given to Americans. But the event planner explained to her that sits could not be saved for no more than 20min (she claimed to have saved them at 9am and did not come back until 2+ hours later) and to use more personal items to save sits not just resort towels.
Glad that we choose to stay in the preferred club rooms b/c there was always appetizers available the the staff were very accommodating.
All in all we had a pretty good time.

Room Tip: Stay in the preferred club suites b/c the views were better. Next time we will try for a corner roo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mauricio M, Gerente at Now Amber Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear YCPP,

Greetings from beautiful Puerto Vallarta!

First and foremost allow us to thank you for the opportunity to host you on your recent visit to our beautiful city. We regret not meeting your expectations in the areas you kindly mentioned.
Our entertainment staff prides itself in not only providing an ample itinerary of activities and shows available for our guests of all ages but maintaining a schedule which supports said diversity. It is unfortunate that during your stay it may have been perceived differently.

Being a family resort we take great care to ensure our young guests feel welcomed and comfortable. Our Pan Asian restaurant Himitsu consists of three areas: Teppanyaki live show tables, indoor dining area and the terrace. Himitsu is designed as an adults only concept restaurant however; when possible the terrace area and reservations to the Teppanyaki live show are extended and welcome our young guests as a way to enhance their stay by providing the experience of high end pan Asian cuisine otherwise not available.

Transportation and excursions outside the resort is not part of the all-inclusive package in any of our sister resorts. Including Dreams; for our guests’ convenience we have transportation at our guests command with a fleet of taxi’s waiting at the gates equipped with presentable and bilingual drivers. All our guests need to do to enjoy this service is simply let their concierge or our concierge express staff know they are in need of this service.

We appreciate your loyalty to the AMResorts brand and sincerely hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Respectfully,

Mauricio Martinez
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

It was going to be our first time at Puero Vallarta so naturally I wanted to make it perfect by choosing the right hotel/ resort for my family. I was looking for a beautiful, clean, and fancy looking resort that would offer high class restaurants, a distinguished spa, kid's club and pool slide would have been a bonus. Well I am glad I was able to find all this at Now Amber. This was our second time staying at a room that has a pool swim-out advantage and we loved it again. Overall the resort was awesome, people were friendly, service everywhere was great. I would especially like to thank Nayeli, who was a host at their International Buffet, as she greeted us every moring with her beautiful smile and accomodated to our needs with a great pleasure. The service at the French restaurant was especially remarkable, good job guys! Oh I forgot to mention that I was also looking for a resort that offered some kind of entertainment. OMG they offered all kinds of shows: magic, fire, dance, etc. In other words this resort is highly recommended for guest especially with families, you will not be dissappointed :)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I returned yesterday from a 4 night stay at Secrets. I opted to pay a little extra for the preferred club. This may seem like a waste to some but I found the minor extras to be worth it. The breakfast and snacks they provide only to the preferred tower guests are delicious. They have different items every day! Omar at the preferred tower bar was fantastic. He was always smiling and talkative. Octavio at check-in was always so polite and friendly. He would call daily to make sure all was well.

We used the Now Amber side more than the Secrets side since the other 20 members of my family were staying there. Effrain at the pool area was amazing. He kept the drinks flowing all day, every day. Tips aren't required but if you tip these guys and girls--they really will take great care of you. We aren't talking crazy amounts, maybe a few USD here and there. This really makes their day and, trust me, will make your stay here so much better. I was tipping 20 pesos every other drink--sometimes 40 pesos or more if they really went out of their way (which they will do).

We enjoyed Himitsu the best--by far. The other restaurants are good, just not great. This is mainly due to my family and I liking more spicy foods. However, the Secrets staff really came through and cooked for us shrimp and chicken with our own spices which we brought from home. This was absolutely delicious. Once again, tip the guys.

The breakfast each morning was fantastic. Tons of items: meats, fruits, cereals, hash brown triangles, and much much more.

The areas were not crowded since we went during off-peak season. The pools and grounds are immaculate. Employees are constantly cleaning, trimming, etc. They put chemicals in the pools every night and morning.

The few negatives: pools close early...too early for a resort. The dress code is a bit overboard. I understand you want to maintain a certain look at your restaurants but this is a resort and I would like to wear nice shorts when it is 95 degrees outside at night. Girls can get by with just about any thing as long as they look decent. However, guys must wear long pants (or jeans) and closed-toe shoes. I don't mind the closed toe shoes, but allowing men to wear non-swimsuit shorts would be much more comfortable.

Alejandro at Disco Desires was equally fantastic. All of the employees remember you which makes you feel very welcomed. (Once again, TIP the employees!) Pearla at the Now Amber bar was also fantastic. She was always smiling and happy.

The rooms are clean, spacious, comfortable, and quiet. We never experienced any problems with housekeeping. Our room was serviced daily and turn-down service every night. On time, every time.

All in all, this is an excellent resort. We definitely did not want to return and we wished we booked more nights. I would recommend this place to any one and every one! Book Secrets/Now and you won't regret it!

Chandler
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I wanted to share my wonderful experience at Now Amber. I went to celebrate my 30th birthday with my husband and another couple. The resort offered the perfect blend of liveliness and relaxation. I'm pretty particular about hotel rooms and this one exceeded my standards. The room was impeccably clean, spacious and luxurious for the price we paid. The grounds were beautiful, and the staff was friendly and accommodating. We spent everyday by the pools. There were beach chairs lined up by the ocean but we only went out to that area once, as the beach was very rocky and hurt your feet very quickly. If you're looking to swim in the ocean and lay by the beach, I wouldn't recommend this hotel simply because the beach was rough. But, this didn't bother us much because the pool scene was so incredible. Overall, we had an amazing experience and I would definitely recommend it to friends, as well as return myself someday.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My friend and I stayed here in July. It was definitely the best all inclusive hotel that I have ever stayed at. The hotel is only a year and a half old so everything is very new and clean! Check in was super easy and they had champagne and a cool towel waiting for us when we arrived. The rooms were spectacular! Every room had an ocean view with a balcony. It was very spacious and clean. The maids came twice a day usually and always left our fridge stocked.

We went to Carnival everyday for the breakfast buffet. Anything you could possibly want for breakfast, they had. And everything was always warm and fresh no matter what time we went. For lunch there were 2 options: Castaways and Barefoot Grill. We really enjoyed Castaways because not only did it have better food, but the view was awesome. Barefoot Grill was good if you wanted something quick. There was 8 restaurants to choose from for dinner, all of which were amazing! My favorites were the French, Asian, and Oceana. The service at all of them was great. They work their butts off to make sure everything goes perfect.

The entertainment staff was absolutely amazing! Lucy, Caesar, and Alejandro were fantastic! Every hour they had a different activity going on by the pools and were very good at getting people to participate. It made it more fun to have so much stuff to do throughout the day! They had water and beach volleyball, water polo, soccer, trivia, blackjack, ping pong, water aerobics, and kayak tours. The shows at night were also pretty entertaining. The best in my opinion was the Rock show. They were unbelievably talented.

One of my main concerns with going here was the beach. I read really bad reviews about it, so I wasn't expecting much. But when we got there we noticed that in the mornings people were cleaning up the beach area and getting rid of the random rocks. The only part that was bad was when you walked in the water for a few steps it was really rocky, but its very easy to just swim over that small area.

We set up all our excursions with Renudo from Orbitz. We told him what we were kind of interested in doing and he set us up with what he thought we would enjoy the most! He was very helpful!

The hotels location is great. Its about a 25 minute walk downtown or about a $6 cab ride. We walked the whole way on the beach.

One of the best things this hotel has is it's staff. They work so hard and were so nice! I really felt like they cared to make sure we were having the best time possible. I have never been to an all inclusive resort that had the kind of service and employees like this one did. They truly made it a better experience than it already was!

I would recommend this hotel to everyone! We will definitely be returning to this resort!!

Room Tip: I didn't think it was worth it to upgrade to the preferred club since every room had an ocean vi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Stony Point, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My family and I just returned from NOW Puerto Vallarta. The vacation was very nice and we had a great time- here are my comments:
Pool: There was 8 of us in total - We found that no matter how much we tipped the bar tenders at the swim up bar, they ignored you to help more of the local clientele. We spent a long time without a drink in our hands and a lot of time waiting..... Poor service which is so unusual in most resorts. Finally we smartened up. We sat in the same seats every day in an area that was serviced by pool wait staff. Our wonderful pool side waiter named Jose was FANTASTICO! We tipped him every day and he never let us sit without a drink, without asking kept them coming, in the late morning would tell us what time he was bringing us all lunch and what he would order for us, kept bringing cold water bottles and he could not have been better. So, if you go, find out where Jose is and sit in his section (near the swim up bar at pool deck adjacent to where the bathrooms are). He was off one day and we couldnt wait until the next day when he came back.
Activity staff: This really made the trip. These guys were just GREATand so much fun. I had 5 kids with me ranging from 14-27 and these guys treated each of them so so special. The days were so much fun and they kept everyone active at the pool including the adults. BIG shout out to Jesus (who we surprisingly found out is only working there 2 weeks but is so great at the hotel. Hugo and David -- you are both also so great. All of these three guys brough out the best in the day for everyone and were at many of the night activities to keep the spirit alive. We loved spending the fun time with them.
Bar Staff: The main lobby bar and the disco bar staff was great. Very accommodating and always helpful. The BEST OF ALL was Fernando. He was nice, always smiled and happy, and so adorable and cute that all of my girls (4 of them) fell in love with Fernando. All I have heard since we are back is his name :) and....we want to go back!
Restaurants: They were all wonderful. For dinner we ate in all of the the restaurants on the NOW side. Food was terrific every place we ate. we couldnt have asked for more and it was equal to any 4-5* restaurant. We also never had to wait to be seated which is always a plus. We ate in the Asian restaurant twice, Himitso, and I was amazed on how fresh the Sushi was -- the salmon and tuna was some of the best I have every eaten. We dined twice at Castaways right off the pool deck. So nice and the food was amazing. We ate there our last night and they went out of their way to make it a pleasant last dinner experience.The wait staff in all of the restaurants was top notch and they were always very accommodating. Seating 8 people at a time is not common (most families are smaller) but they always moved tables for us to seat us all together....just wonderful! And we loved CoCo Cafe... they were open all day with great coffee's of all types, pastries, cookies, cupcakes....yummm. Breakfast staff was great and good food. Loved their green cactus juice (sounds bad but its really good! and healthy for you).
Beach: Always clean- they spent every morning out on the beach cleaning it so that people had a clean beach. And the beach vendors (selling hats, silver etc.) were not as pushy as I have seen in other places in Mexico. If you didnt want something, you said no, and they left you alone.
Horseback riding on the beach: 4 of my family members went. No running on the beach allowed. Just walked. The guy has 4 horses and if there are 4 riders, he walks with you on foot. They all had fun until one of the horses got annoyed with another of the horses at went to bite it and unfortunately got my daughters leg instead -- 2 bites - $300 later with the hotel doctor and antiobotics. As we found out, this was the second case of horse bites the doctor had that week. I guess we were lucky because with the case before us, the man got bit, then got kicked by the horse and it broke the mans leg.......might be a good idea to save your money. The $20 hourse ride cost me $300 extra.
We too spent way too much time the first day sitting with the sales team - a 90 minute presentation took 7 hours. We eventually bought the membership at a "reduced cost" from their original offer but I am still weary that we may have thrown our money away -- I dont know- time will tell. All depends on what the member rates are compared to the published rates (including travelocity etc) when we book. Thats when we will know if we handed them over $$ that was unnecessary.
Now on the hotel staff, rooms and services:
... the staff was friendly but-- the front desk poeple spoke little english or claimed to not understand. Much of it was to their convenience. When we checked in we had 4 rooms for a week (2 with king beds and 2 rooms were to have 2 double beds in each room). When we arrived in the rooms only one of the rooms had 2 double beds. But, they didnt tell us this and as it worked out, 2 people had to sleep together unwillingly because they had no other rooms available for them to move to. Bad management of rooms since we booked this 4 months ago and were even told at check in that rooms were in order. The rooms all smelled musty. The AC pushed out a musty odor and all of our clothes in the rooms were like moist -- they put insense in the rooms to burn. At first I was like -- what? Then I realized why it was there. To help with the musty odor. The ABSOLUTE WORST of the weeks experience was the maid service....or lack of maid service. Many days we left the rooms at 9-10am and returned back at 5pm to nap and shower for dinner. Unfortunately at least 3 of the 6 days, when we returned back to the room, the room had not been cleaned. We would have to call housekeeping, wait for someone, call again, wait again, and MAYBE someone would show up. One of the rooms did not get cleaned at all for 2 days. No reason - and when we called he front desk a promise to send someone that never arrived. On the days they cleaned, they didnt do a thorough job....if there was no toilet paper left int he bathroom for example they did not replenish it and again...another call to the houskeeping or front desk to wait...call again...wait......maybe they would come - maybe not. Finally we started hording toilet paper in the closet "in case" --
Overall, the good points listed in my review made the vacation very enjoyable. I would definately go back and really hope they do something quickly to change the bad service from the housekeeping staff. We were very generous with tips to all the service providers at the hotel. This is how they really make their money. Unfortunately we felt that the maid service did not warrant a tip for good services rendered.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!