“Hands down - The best one yet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Now Amber Puerto Vallarta

You added Now Amber Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   David Alfaro Sisqueiros 164 | Col. Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
NJ
“Hands down - The best one yet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

My family, my husband, 3 yr old and I travel at least twice a year. This is the best quality resort ever. Their spa by Pevonia is the best one Ive been to in the world. Its in the Secrets side of the resort though. Certainly world class. They're very courteous and professional. The ambience in the spa is so intoxicating I want to be there every day. I had the Sabai mineral therapy and its certainly worth every penny. The insides of the spa is a total opposite world of what the outside streets of Mexico looks like.

The service is exceptional. From the bell boy - Beto, the concierge -Benito, the life guard - Alejandro, entertainment team led by David, and Maestra Karla of the Explorers Club. They treated us not like any other, they made us feel very special like a close family. These people made us feel more like just home. They welcomed us and cheered us. They made our day every day. They work hard as you see same familiar faces serving you round the clock day and night day after day after day. You know you are cared for cause they're always there for you.

The only downside is house keeping. We get a different person everyday and we get a different type of service each time. There were days our fridge aren't refilled and had no water to drink, our towels not replaced and used wet towels over and over, bath robes available on the first day but not on the remaining 4 days, they took it away I don't know why. This is in the preferred club and they're suppose to provide us with a daily bulletin of tomorrow's events but we only got it the first day. The best house keeper was Maria who took care of all our needs and kept our room tidy on our first day and we didn't got the chance to meet her. Wifi is impossible to get to. Internet connection is slower than dial up.

My 3 year old enjoyed it especially the jacuzzi on the balcony. We turned it to a bubble bath with an excellent view.

Too much good stuff to say about this resort. All inclusive indeed - eat all you can here there everywhere, drink all you can, do some dancing and water aerobics like no one is watching. The very entertaining David is phenomenal. They got activities for all ages. Kayaking everyday in the resort around banderas bay. Alejandro was so helpful on this.

Only one month back home and my 3 yr old is asking when we are going back. Cause she wants to go back now. We love it and would love to go back or check out other NOW resorts in the world.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed with my husband and 10yr daughter form July 7th to 11th at the Preferred tower. It was a wonderful trip.
We started with the left foot, with a little problem at check in. We arrived at 2pm, so our room was not ready. We went to have lunch and returned at 3 pm. They told us it would be ready in a few minutes that became more than an hour. Finally at 4:30 we went up to our room and the luggage arrived more than 15 minutes later, after I had a not so nice phone conversation with the concierge.
After that, everything was absolutely perfect.
The room is nice and clean. The beds are soooo confortable. We used the jacuzzi at the balcony 2 times, my daughter loved it. The mini bar had little bottles of Jack Daniel’s, vodka and rum, as well as a small can of Pringles an m&ms.
We went to the pool area everyday around 10:30 and never had problem finding chairs and shade. One day we even could use one of the beds. The only spots that I saw reserved early were around the kids pool. The beach is small and there are lots of rocks where the waves crashed, so we passed. We spent our days resting by the pool. Our server Fernando kept drinks coming all day long.
My daughter really enjoyed the water slide and the Explorers Club. She stayed there every night for dinner and movies. That allowed us to have peaceful dinners, including the French restaurant at the Secrets side.
The food is very good at all restaurants. The breakfast buffet was so diverse that I had a hard time every morning deciding what to eat. My favorite was the Italian, excellent service and a nice environment. Every day they had different lunches prepared by the pool. We had paella one day and I saw they had tacos other day. The pizza at the Barefoot grill is very good.
The Preferred Lounge is nice. Continental breakfast in the mornings and little snacks the rest of the day. We always grabbed a bite every time we passed by.
Cons:
It was never possible to connect to the wi-fi inside our room.
We always ended with a big puddle of water outside the shower door. The bath mat was not enough to soak all the water, so we had to use a towel.
We only had turndown service one day. My daughter was bummed because we didn´t get any chocolates on our pillows ;)

We are really looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed at Now Amber the first week of July, and it was the most amazing vacation I've ever had. From the moment we pulled up, it was amazing service from everybody there. We were greeted with cold towels and glasses of champagne! The food was amazing, and the greeters were top notch; always greeting you with a smile. The hostess at Carnival was especially nice, she was always so upbeat! The Japanese was also very good. They had the best sushi I've ever had in my life. The views from the room were amazing, the rooms themselves were always immaculate, and the mini fridge was always stocked. My family plans on making a yearly trip to PV, because we enjoyed our stay so much

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Went to NOW Amber July7-July14 with a group of friends. It was one of the best trips of my life. The rooms were very clean and always restocked with water, soda, and beer. The pools and beach were always clean and the food was amazing. What stands out the most about Now Amber is the service. The hostess at Carnival had the biggest smile on her face every morning. Also when on the beach look for Efrain. He was amazing and really made my vacation. From the first to the last day Efrain made sure there was always a drink in our hand. Every time we finished he was ready with the next. Efrain went on exceeding our expectations by bringing drinks to our swim out pool one afternoon. He deserves great praise from the hotel for really making the service stand out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I just got home from The Now a week ago. It was simply the best! I had very high expectations of the The Now Amber as it came highly reccomened to me by a co-worker and after reading many Trip Advisor comments. The Now Amber is all that I expected and mucH, much, more.

The service is amazing! Bring lots of Pesos and liberally given them out to the employess. This is not a time to be cheap the employees work so hard. The hostess at the buffet resturant (Nayely) made me feel so welcome and special. Keep those pesos flowing for the incrediable wait staff down near the ocean and pool. We loved Carlos! He was so thoughtful and so nice!

My husband and I love good quality food and The Now Amber did not disapoint! I was so impressed by every meal! Any spot you pick will not disappoint.

We went on three excursions with Amstar - buy two and get one free. I would highly recommend these. We did the extreme adventure, sea safari (Puncho is the best!), and Rythms of the Night. These were more then worth what you pay. Bring pesos for these as well and tip liberally.

I will go back to the Now Amber in a heart beat and will dream about the relaxation and joy it brought!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Now Amber is a great resort in a great location in PV. This was our 3rd trip to Mexico, 2nd to Puerto Vallarta and Now stood up to all the other fantastic resorts we've been to. In a nutshell the facilities are new and well appointed, the food is WONDERFUL, and the service is top notch! The beach is a tad lacking and the pool area is smaller than other places I’ve been but don’t let these items stop you from coming here. My fiancé and I liked it enough that it is currently our #1 choice for our wedding location next year.

Detailed Review:

Hotel - the place is only a year old and the new-ness is still there. It felt very modern, clean, and well put together. The Moments lobby bar is really something to see too! Keep in mind this is not the largest resort in the world b/c half of it belongs to Secrets which you cannot really access if you are staying at Now. We were there during what I was told was a slower time so I’m not sure if it’s just too crowded during high season or not. It was also wonderfully quiet while we there. No loud pool parties or anything to interrupt our sleep.

Room - We ended up upgrading to the preferred club and had an ocean view king room on the 6th floor. The rooms were spacious, clean, and not lacking for amenities. The balcony Jacuzzi you get when you upgrade to preferred was invaluable to us as we had a lot of rainy weather so that’s where we rode out the bad weather. The only complaint I had was that it seemed like our A/C could never dry the room out. It got cold but there was always this minor dampness in the air; it seemed like our towels never fully dried out.

Pools – the pools were clean and there were always plenty of chairs for us. There are palm trees and umbrellas around so you can get some shade from the sun too. There are no towel cards or anything so you just take what you need and the towels are very big as compared to other places I’ve been. The main pool is an infinity pool with a swim up bar. Tip the guys like $5 and they will be promptly at your service all day. The pools are not huge so when it starts getting loaded with kids on the rafts it feels a little cramped but it wasn’t overwhelming or anything. If you are hungry there is the Barefoot grill which is self serve nachos, fries, etc. and there were roving chef carts which I’ve never seen before. They made sushi, ceviche, and paella on the spot. That as an unexpected treat!

Beach – so if I had to ding Now on something big it would be the beach. I was on it for about 10 minutes the entire trip. It’s fairly narrow and there were A LOT of rocks as you walk into the water. There is also a substantial drop which causes the waves to crash hard but as soon as you get past that it is nice and calm. The resort provides large inflatables for you to play on too. I have to say I was not impressed with the beach and yes like other reviewers there are vendors afoot but hey this is Mexico, what do you expect? Like I said I was on the beach for a very short amount of time so I don’t know how aggressive they were.

Food – what can I say…the food was my FAVORITE part of this resort. It was fantastic! We loved the food and couldn’t get enough of it. We ate at every restaurant on the Now side at least once and nothing disappointed with the slight exception of Himitsu…if you are looking for the best sushi, you’re just going to find OK sushi here. Again this is Mexico so what do you really expect? That said it was still a decent dining experience. Castaways was our favorite, we had lunch there almost every day. Carnival was our breakfast spot…look, I hate breakfast food but my plate was always loaded up. That’s how good it was. Tamarindo the Mexican place was wonderful and I struggled to find just one entrée and appetizer to select. Capers the Italian place was also good and had a wide menu. I’m always a little skeptical of Italian places in Mexico/Caribbean but we had a pretty good meal there.

Service – like most Mexican resorts I’ve been too, they really understand the value of providing good service. Everyone is there to help and has a great attitude. There is no language barrier whatsoever either. We did tip at the bars and restaurants but please remember all these people work long hours for very low wages and they all do it with a smile on their face. A little tip goes a really long way in my opinion.

Other thoughts:
I really liked the location as it was just a15 minute cab ride from the airport and in the middle of a big commercial area. You walk out the door and there are shops and clubs; a 20 minute walk gets you to the Malecon area. Although I would suggest just taking a cab as I was told it was a mere $5.

I felt 100% safe the entire time. Whatever problems you read about Mexico having, they are not here.

Preferred club – the 2 biggest perks for me in preferred over regular was the balcony Jacuzzi and in from Wi-Fi. Had we not had the bad weather though, maybe the Jacuzzi would not have been as big a deal to have. The Wi-Fi though is pretty important to me although it can be dreadfully slow at time. The resort definitely needs a few more access points. I really don’t get why they don’t offer it to everyone frankly; most resorts do. You also get a few extra amenities like a comb, sunscreen (but it’s only SPF 15, you NEED something higher here), a razor and toothbrush but I always bring these items. You get the preferred lounge and bar but who wants to sit inside during the day when you can get all that at the pool? Finally be aware that you CANNOT check out at the main desk and HAVE to check out in the preferred building. I thought this was odd and frankly I was almost late catching my airport ride b/c there is ONE guy handling both check in/out and I had to wait for him to finish a check in. I thought I had given myself plenty of time but it took almost 20 minutes of me sitting there and waiting for him to get to me. Just something to keep in mind.

Vacation club presentation – we sat thru the presentation just so we could get the free upgrade to the preferred club. Be forewarned it is NOT 90 minutes! It was about 3 hours. It is in no way a good value; I really have no idea who signs up for this thing. You need to put up $30K with a 30 year commitment, pay a $120/year maintenance fee to use the AM Resorts, and another $200/year to use their RCI network resorts. It was rainy that morning so we couldn’t really do much anyway and it got us the free upgrade but otherwise just avoid it.

I did a tour of the spa but didn’t have any services; the spa looked wonderful though.

All in all, we'd definitely come back!

Room Tip: Although the swim up suites look awesome, the ones in the non-preferred have row of hedges in front...
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed for 3 days in the Amber Now in Puerto Vallarta, and it was great all around, far better than we expected. The resort is brand new, the service exceptional, the food oustanding. The only downside is that the beach is not great, but it's the same as everywhere else in Puerto Vallarta (no white sand and clear blue water).
The good:
- The buildings are new, beautifully designed, modern, etc. You feel in a great place.
- The pool area is very nice, 3-4 pools and a large jacuzzi.
- The service is by far the best I've had in a hotel, cruise, or AI resory. Everyone goes out of their way to pleae you, and it shows.
- There are 7 restarants (including those on the Secrets side), and they are all excellent. We are vegetarian and there were plenty of options for us, they modified dishes for us, and the other menu options sounded great. Very fancy restaurants, including, French, Mexican, Italian, Asian, the buffet.
- Room service included and they have good selection.
The other:
- The beach is not great. Acceptable, but would like it to be better.
- This is currently two resorts in one, Secrets and Now. Secrets is adults only and has a separate pool area than Now. However I would expect the noise from the Now side to spill over to Secrets always. At night the restaurants are shared and the shows as well. So it's a bit weird to book an adults-only resort that at night can be used by families.
- The hotel placement, blocks the sunrise and sunshing until about 11am or so. And the sunset cannot be seen from the preferred tower on the Now side.
- We stayed in a Preferred room, which meant a separate lobby in a separate tower, with a small lounge with food in the lobby. The rooms were probably bigger, and they had a jacuzzi on the balcony, which was nice. However, I wouldn't recommend staying in the preferred room again. The towe is actually farther from the restaurants than the other rooms, you could never see the sunset from the room, the food in the lobby was really not appealing. And your view was directly to the preferred town in the Secrets side. Don't ask for preferred rooms.

Everything else was great. Highly recommend Now for families, and Secrets for adults (although basically that means avoiding the kids during the day).

Room Tip: Don't choose the Prferred Club rooms! A high floor in the main building is much better. Swim out...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!