“Great experience with an all-inclusive” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Now Amber Puerto Vallarta

You added Now Amber Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   David Alfaro Sisqueiros 164 | Col. Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Union, New Jersey
“Great experience with an all-inclusive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

i travel alot.

I was never big on all-inclusives but I have to say that I had a great experience at this place! I ended up here because of a destination wedding. The Now Amber shares it's property with Secrets. The Now Amber side is for families/kids and the Secrets side for adults ( nothing xrated- just kids are not allowed on that side.

located approx 15-20 minutes from airport. i booked amstar private car service but was pricey 30bucks per one way unless you had more people in your group/car. taxis i heard only cost 19bucks per way and seemed safe

when you arrive- they greet you with towels and champagne. check in was easy breezy

Rooms- all rooms are ocean view. the "preferred" are the same as the garden except they have jacuzzis. not worth the extra money to me because its so hot- i dont think anyone uses the jacuzzi. The rooms with the swim up pools are nice because you can use them at night. once thing about the resort that i didnt like is that they close the pools at 8pm- so it sucked for anyone without a swim up ( unless u snuck in the pool). anyway getting back to the rooms- the rooms were modern, clean and lovely. beds comfortable, bathrooms spacious, air conditioned, well-kept. big TV, awesome shower, the welcome toilette kit was plentiful. the refrigerator items in the room all apart of the all-inclusice. room service was 24/7 and all inclusive!

Service- everyone in the place always had a smile on their face and always was helpful. noone had any faces or attitudes. not once. they work hard and always wanted to please! A+ for service

Food/drink- its an all-inclusive. unfortunately top shelf liquor not included ( which i wasn't expecting) BUT it would have been nice if people could purchase top-shelf liquor if they wanted. there is so much you can do with frozen drinks all day long. the only time i had top shelp liquor was when we went into town to a nightclub. food...... the special restaurants (italian,french, asian etc) are only available for dinner. their food was pretty good. the french restaurant was my favorite. during the day- you had carnival restaurant (buffet), pool side grill and castaways ( sit down order menu). the day time food- although plentiful was decent at the most. watermelon juice at breakfast was delicious. yum.

pools- swim up pools both on the family and adult side. towels and chairs always available. waiters walking around to get drinks and always smiling/helpful. music plays throughout pool area. more lounge music on the adult side which i loved. i wished they had fire pits at night. would be an added touch. they would have movies playing in the pool areas on certain nights. adult side has a large chess game. plentiful activites thru out the day. the resort would give out daily calender of events like on the cruise ships which was cool. ask for a rainbow shot at the swim up! always a great time

beach- short distant to beach. plentiful chairs. i didnt go to the beach but i saw horses you can ride and jet skis etc available.

lobby- open lobby, beautiful...lots of seating. great to have drinks, listen to music at night, watch the sunset

excursions- I HIGHLY recommend you to do the OUTDOOR adventure with vallarta adventures. i also heard good things about the extreme adventure as well. for about 90/pp- you spend about 6-7 hrs out. you have to catch a taxi to the port ( easy) but once you start your adventure- they take care of you! start with speed boats across the bay then transfer to these yellow army truck/buses which takes you up most of the mountain. once you arrive- you are briefed, fitted for gear and set off on donkeys up to the first zipline. you cannot bring cameras because you will drop/ get them wet. the company takes awesome pix/video of you the entire time and they are available for purchase at the end. probably would spend 30-60 pp depending on size of group. the pix/video are worth it- clear and look professional! you will thank me. you zipline regular,backwards and even upside down! AWESOME! you rappel down waterfall and down ropes, waterslides etc. its so much fun. i was nervous at first but then felt very secure and safe. the staff really takes care of you. afterwards they take you to a tequilla distillery in the mountains and get to try pure tequila. AWESOME! my only dwnside of this excision- is that i tripped and fell off the army truck ( not the company's fault) and hurt my foot very badly. thank god no fractures. just be careful. i had changed into my flipflops/change of clothes because you get soaked during the excursion.

spa- i was able to get a massage free because i volunteered for their "vacation club" which sounded very similiar to a timeshare- just worded differently. they said 90 minutes but you are there much longer. i was there 3 hrs but i prepared myself for it. other than that- the spa was HEAVENLY. i got a 80 minute deep tissue- and it was excellent! the spa really is gorgeous. you are allowed to use the hydrotherapy suite all day if you want ( pool,jacuzzi,steam room, sauna, fresh juices etc). very relaxing. locker rooms spacious and clean. everything was clean!!!! if i had to pay - the massage was $180dollars

i also tried the "healing hands" massage place outisde the resort ( to the left). you get an hr massage for 25 bucks. great massage as well- just not in a luxury place like the spa. the staff was friendly and was ready to take me as soon as i inquired.

i would definitely return with a guy, friends and stay on the secret side next time. its a great time in vallarta! would avoid june because it was "monsoon" weather- rained every day at night. but the lightening was kinda nice at night ;)

Room Tip: all rooms are beach view. unless you are staying in the presidental suite- all the preferred rooms a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

great hotel, i stayed the 16th to the 21st of june 2013, i would have given it a 5 star rating except for their castaway restaurant, needs lots of improvement, food is not that good for the amount of time you have to wait for it.
room service is great, so is their evening restaurants, air conditioning works well. great service by their staff, very friendly. i hope this constructive criticism helps now amber resort and spa make the necessary improvements to castaway restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

this was a friend trip (eight of us total, all in late twenties) and our second all-inclusive experience. the food was incredible, the service phenomenal - we were literally handed champagne as we stepped out of the car and a cool towel that was scented with lavender. way better than the last place where we had to pour our own drink and the towels smelled weird.
instead of standing at the counter to check in, our concierge guy led us to a beautiful seating area overlooking the resort and took our drink orders before having us sign the required documents.
the resort is immaculate and yet I never (as at our last resort) saw anyone cleaning - really great service. we never had to do reservations for the restaurants except for the tampayaki (sp) table (that's hibachi) in the asian place. ALL OF THE FOOD WAS INCREDIBLE. I ordered something like three appetizers each night and never had anything that wasn't good. We ate at the asian place, the mexican place, the pool bars, the seaside restaurant, the french place, and the buffet and everyone was satisfied and happy at every place. they did a special dessert and serenade at the Mexican place for our friends' birthday - so cool!
the club/discoteca was super cool (you can rent hookah!) and had a great atmosphere. we danced here at the end of every night! at our first resort last year, they were playing songs from years ago and there was no videoscreen - this was a welcome change!
the shows were super lame except for the mindreader guy - he was cool and it was a good show. the others were very poor - think weird costumes and lip syncing - but there's so much else to do so we just did other stuff instead. they had live bands in the mexican restaurant and the bars so that was really cool to hang out and listen to all of that.
the entertainment team was FABULOUS - shout out Alejandro! we did the crazy pool game, volleyball, water basketball, yoga, dance lessons, kayak tour, and water aerobics and LOVED all of it.
service everywhere was fantastic. room service is free and arrived in no longer than 20 minutes, even at peak times. eggs benedict and fruit plate with honey and granola were the best for our group. they roll it in all fancy and have such great attitudes about serving - very welcome change from our resort from last year!
amenities were great - I wore the bathrobe pretty much always in the room. beds way comfortable, good TV channels to choose from, and a constantly re-stocked fridge with water, coke, diet coke, sprite, and Coronas. rooms were cleaned well.
our friends got a swim-out pool and really enjoyed it - they don't lead to a larger pool as some resorts do and are pretty private and secluded - perfect!
our balcony had an amazing view - I ate breakfast out there several mornings to watch the sunrise. truly epic.
we got massages at a place outside the resort (literally right out the front gate to the left, less than twenty steps away from the resort) called Healing Hands and it was PHENOMENAL - best massage my friends and I had ever had - and for $25 for an hour! Wow. One of the best hours of my life. A friend went BACK the next day for another one!
They say you can't walk back and forth from Secrets to Amber during the day but as long as you don't carry the wrong color beach towel nobody knows the difference, nor do they seem to care. totally awesome, since the Secrets side had a slightly better pool/barefoot grill area (and no kids, which is nice.)
The only thing that would give me pause about returning was the beach. I'm quite the beach snob, having been to White Sands, Turks & Caicos, Cancun, Cozumel, etc. - so take this with a grain of sea salt - but the beach sucked. the sand is brown and sticky, and has lots of ants and crabs. the water is the ocean - so greenish-brown, not see-through or anything. they took care of the beach really well and the water looked pretty with the sunsets on it but it's not a beach I would choose to return to - it reminded me of Galveston or Padre beaches - not places I would return to either.
They did have cool rentals - the "banana" boat was a hit with our group, as was the floating iceberg and trampoline (so fun!) and the water was the perfect temperature - but again, not really a beach I'd return to.
The vendors were OUT OF CONTROL, standing RIGHT in your view from your beach chair waving crap at you. They can't come on the actual hotel reserved beach but they're still there, and in your way, and it takes the classiness of the hotel down several notches to have them standing there. Also - I get that you're selling horse rides on the beach, but seeing them stand there all day with the fleabitten dog also took down the classy factor a bit. I've never seen vendors swarm like this - really obnoxious. One girl was taking her freaking WEDDING PICTURES and they kept standing there, waving their damn blankets - like, move, people!

HOWEVER - all of the above concerns are not anything the hotel can fix - so if you'd rather sit on the FREAKING AWESOME pool deck or in the INCREDIBLE infinity pool under the palms, this is the place. great service, great staff, beautiful property!

Room Tip: all rooms have an ocean view. get the swimout, the ones with the hot tubs on the balcony, or a high...
Fontana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Ok, where do I begin? My wife and I pulled up in front of the resort and were very impressed. Everybody is so nice and the service is awesome. Everywhere you go in the resort, all the staff members are saying, "It's a pleasure it's a pleasure." And it truly is their pleasure. The rooms are fantastic. They are also huge and romantic. We loved the walk-in shower and the jetted jacuzzi tub. We got upgraded to a ocean view room and the view truly was spectacular. Housekeeping comes twice a day so your room is always nice and clean. They leave incense sticks in the bathroom for you to light which has a wonderful aroma. Light it up while you soak yourself in the jacuzzi.

The restaurants are great but they did not impress me because we stayed at Dreams Riviera Maya last August in Cancun and it is part of the same company (AMResorts) which means all the same named restaurants and menus. The people at the lobby bar are always attentive with providing drinks.

The pool I thought was a bit small but it was nice with a small swim up bar. It would tend to get a bit crowded at times. Fernando at the swim-up bar was awesome each and every day with providing us with non-stop drinks.

It rained for about 4 or 5 days during our stay but it wasn't all day. It would rain around 4pm to 5pm and then stop after a while. There were about 4 BIG Thunder Storms and Lightning Storms at night which was a bit scary if you've never experienced one before. There was a lot of wind and it felt like a hurricane was coming but by morning it was nice, hot, and sunny again.

Basically this is a fantastic newer resort and you can't go wrong. People have left negative reviews but they are probably just very picky. You can put someone in a 5 star resort for free and they still would have something negative to say because you can't satisfy everyone all the time. Come on, you're on vacation....make the best of it and don't look for things to nit-pick on.

We did venture outside of the resort so let me quickly mention what we did before I end the review. If you are on a budget and want to get a massage done, then do not use the hotel spa because they will charge you $205 to $270 for a massage. Instead, go out of the gate of the resort and immediately make a left and in just a few steps there are about 6 massage spots that you can choose from. The average rate is about $20 to $25 for 75 minutes which isn't bad at all. You can get Hot Stones done for about $40. We hit up one on our 3rd day at the resort and then we went back again the morning of our flight....we had to get one more for the road cause it was so damn cheap and worth it.

We got tired of the Resort food quite quickly as we had already experienced it before so we went to a Mexican place about 10 minutes from the resort called Pipi's and it was awesome. This is more of a Tex-Mex restaurant like we get in the states but it was an awesome experience and great margaritas and food. We went to a tiny "hole in the wall" authentic mexican restaurant just down the street from the hotel on the main street called "Mi Puebilito" and it was awesome food. The fajitas were delicious. We also went to The Boardwalk which is about 5 to 10 minutes in the taxi or about 45 minutes walking. You have to visit this place if you go as it is beautiful. We ate at a little Pizza joint at The Boardwalk called Pinocchio Pizzeria (yes, just like the Disney cartoon) and it was one of the best pizzas we had ever had. If you are a pizza lover then you got to try this place out. And last, if you need to get some laundry done before you leave then do not use the resorts laundry facilities as it is quite expensive. When you go left outside of the resorts gates you will come up almost immediately to a strip center which is across the street from the OXXO convenient store. This is where most of the massage parlors are at. In this strip center there is a Laundry Facility and they do a great job. You don't even have to wait there for your clothes. You drop off your clothes as you would at the Dry Cleaners and they tell you to come back in about 4 or 5 hours to pick your clothes back up. They wash and dry it and even fold it and bag it up for you. They charge you by the weight but we had given them a decent amount of clothes and they charged us 50 pesos which is about $4 so not bad.

Anyways, this is my review of the resort and some of the places around it. The resort is fantastic and so is the location. You do not feel trapped inside the resort as you are able to venture out and go places that are nearby. And remember all the places that I mentioned are within 5 minutes walking but I would recommend taking a taxi to Pipi's Mexican Restaurant and also to The Boardwalk. Have a great time on your vacation as I did.....next year it is Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Just finishing up a stay at this resort. I can't wat to fly out of here tomorrow! Let me give you the details.
1. The room smells like mildew
2. All of my clothes me vitamins were damp all the time in the room. Had to throw out my vitamins because I left them o. The counter and the moisture killed them. When you get in bed, it feels damp which is gross.
3. I am a private person and had read the reviews about things being stolen for the rooms and even from the safe so I kept all my valuables with me all the time. They told me to leave the red light button on Outside the room and no one would come in. Well the cleaning staff came into my room twice even though the light was always left on. My suitcase had been opened, I guess she was scrounging for money or something. When I called the front desk, the guy said the cleaning lady said the light wasn't on. When I told him the light was on all while we were here and was on right now outside the room. His response was "sorry". Lucky for me my cash was on me the whole time.
4. The food in just average and one of our party salad sick for two days off the food. I was just careful what I ate so I didn't get sick
5. Music and loud people all day and I to the night so if you're looking for a little peace and quiet, this is not the place!
6. The beach where you enter the ocean is so rocky you can't walk in Barefoot. And the waves are so extreme I just didn't chance it and neither did a lot of other people. Everyone stayed In the po except a few daring people
There are sooooo many other places to go that are better.

• Stayed June 2013
Valley View
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is the nicest resort my husband and I have ever stayed!!! The room was incredible. Loved the walk in shower, jacuzzi tub, and the bed was very comfortable. It was super clean and they kept the fridge well stocked. The view was beautiful. The restaurants were Excellent! The buffet was great for breakfast and lunch but didn't care too much for dinner. The best part of the buffet was Nayley. She was always there to greet us with a huge smile and she remember our names after our first visit. Loved her! Then there was Israel at the pool bar. Great bartender!!!! Seemed happy all the time. All the staff were really hard working, warm and friendly but these two really stood out. We booked our trip through Cheap Caribbean and our representative was Felipe. He helped us with our excursions and anything else we needed. He was always available and ready to help. The resort is within walking distance of downtown about 20 min. If too far the bus stops nearby. This is a beautiful romantic resort and I highly recommend it! My only complaint is that when we got there we were immediately approached about going to a presentation to purchase a vacation membership. (Another name for timeshare). We made the mistake of going and didn't think we would ever get away. 90 min turns into 3 hrs. This will however get you a discount on excursion tickets.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just returned from a very relaxing mid week vacation to Puerto Vallarta. We chose the Now Amber based on proximity to the Malecon and the fact that the resort was new. Having traveled previously to both Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta, I can say I was pleasantly surprised by the Now Amber Resort and Spa. In the past you would have to book a stay in Nuevo Vallarta to stay in a "new" resort...but this has now changed with the NOW amber resort. This resort is
1) Safe and Secure (as in very tight security at the very front gate and also as you leave each time being asked your name and room number, plus they have their own taxi service with very new cars)
2) Ultra modern resort with all the attention you remember from previous stays in Vallarta (if you've stayed in other resorts you know what I am talking about)
3) Friendly staff that remember your name and try to make your experience a memorable one.

I am positive that the resort will only get better and better with time. We traveled during low season and we still got first class attention at all the bars, restaurants and pools we visited.
The poolside staff is by far the most hard working staff there is .... I am sure most people agree especially when they are the ones bringing you drink after drink after drink....

The rooms were ultra modern, however my only gripe....was I noticed that our sheets felt a bit not fresh....borderline musty each night (i know they change them nightly)...but that must be due to the humidity...we didn't complain at all, just wanted to point that out. We tipped the cleaning staff daily upon leaving our room for the day and each night it was nice and tidy! mini fridge filled daily with drinks water and beer...i even asked for additional waters vs soda and they oblidged!

The highlight of the trip was the lobby bar and the nightly sunset we witnessed each night as our server brought us drink after drink after drink.....if you get a chance please make it a point to view the sunset from either the lobby bar at NOW or SECRETS....you will not be disappointed!

If you are looking for an affordable ultra modern resort with all the amenities you are use to in an all inclusive then this resort is for you!!

We booked thru Expedia and received a great upgrade offer plus resort coupons that we put to good use !

My party will definitely come back here ! ! !

P.S I did not do the hotel tour and "timeshare" shpeel .... i'm to seasoned for that trap. ;)

P.P.S in the event at check out your flight leaves later than the "check-out" time, they will work with you to offer a hospitality suite to shower and get ready for your flight....plus unlike other resorts there are no wristbands so they will let you relax and keep enjoying food and drinks after your checkout time......if you absolutely need the room, it's 10 bucks per hour after noon checkout.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!