“Wonderful place for so many reasons!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Now Amber Puerto Vallarta

You added Now Amber Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   David Alfaro Sisqueiros 164 | Col. Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
dallas
“Wonderful place for so many reasons!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

First of all, loved that the resort isn't far from the airport. Upon arrival we were greeted with cold drinks/little snacks while we got checked in nice chairs facing the open air with a view of the pools, palm trees and the ocean. The resort itself is beautiful, new and looks it. An added bonus is that it's next door to Secrets (same ownership) so you have more restaurant options (it's adults only so if traveling with kiddos will need to put them in the Explorer's club.) We tried all the restaurants except the Japanese one and were impressed with all of them. The Italian one was our favorite and the French one at Secrets had the best desserts. Another treat was the early afternoon fajita set-up by the pool area. So tasty! The kids club was definitely the coolest kids club I've ever seen vs. other hotels and cruise ships (we were traveling with our two kids, eight and 12.) They have an in-ground trampoline, rock climbing wall, mini-soccer field, regular trampoline with bungie cords and several playground equipment sets and the girls that worked there were so nice. Every evening housekeeping does a turndown service and leaves the next day's itinerary. Always packed with activities throughout the day including at the kids club and there's always some type of show at night (comedy, dance, fire show etc.) Some of the shows were better than others but still entertaining enough. The entertainment staff was GREAT! From organizing beach soccer, volleyball, water polo, tequila tastings, always something going on. The wait staff was very friendly in all areas, bars, restaurants. There was an incident that happened which made me even more impressed with the hotel and staff. Midway through our trip my son and daughter collided on the water slide and my son cut his chin. Immediately, a staff member came over and within minutes someone came down with a first aid kit. It wasn't a wide cut but deep enough for stitches. Was worried that we'd have to go to the hospital which was NOT appealing at all, then found out that there was a doctor/office at the hotel/on-site and since it just required two stitches it was taken care of right there! They even had the antibiotic and pain medicine delivered to us. WOW...so well handled! A doctor is there every day until 8pm so every evening for the remainder of the trip we would take our son back for the wound to get cleaned/fresh bandage. My son now is very proud of his expensive (actually not that bad cost-wise considering), permanent souvenir. We did two excursions while there...highly recommend the zoo...for an extra charge you get to hold tiger cubs and play with monkeys...even get to feed several different types of animals including parrots, flamingos and a GIRAFFE...it was awesome!! Other excursion was to a beach Las Moletas (sp?) that was a boat ride to a beautiful beach with snorkeling, kayaks, paddle boards, small ziplines for kids, donkey rides etc. Also included a nice lunch and unlimited drinks. Speaking of beaches that's the only thing that was a bit of a disappointment. We have been to Cancun and Cozumel with Corona commercial worthy beaches and that's not what you'll get here. Water still blue but don't plan to snorkel at the hotel. Also, there are a lot of rocks where the waves break so bring water shoes! My husband and I did some walks on the beach which were nice...if facing the beach make a right. You'll get approached to buy all sorts of things but when you say "no thank you", they were all very good about saying ok and walking away. Overall, was a fantastic trip with the resort being a big part of what made our trip so great. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Puerto Vallarta!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
Colorado Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel was the perfect place for us. Ease of transportation, ideal location, safety, activities galore. Please go on the Rhythm of the Nights tour. The boat ride itself is awesome (watch for water spray if you sit up front) The show was first class. I've spent more money in New York for a show of this caliber. Wear comfortable shoes! The City and Cultural tour is a must simply for the lunch you will receive after the tequila tasting. The seafood combo for 2 is over the top-lobster, crab, shrimp, bass, and some many other things. If you have a healthy appetite, this is the meal you should order. It was fantastic.

If you have a little down time and want to gamble, you can get to the casino from this hotel. P.S. The marina is across the street from the casino, Walmart, Sam's Club and a short block to the mall (you can see it) .Again, all about 7-10 mintues from the hotel. Taxi's range from 40 to 60 pesos to and from this area.

In short, the hotel ,staff, amenities, and service was excellent. Make sure you meet Bennie, Tony, and the great staff at Castaways and the preferred club.

I know some people complained about the food. I have to admit it wasn't top knotch, especially for a hotel like this. However, the Italian restaurant was good, as was room service. They aren't too picky about dress codes, as reported by other people. However, we tried to follow the rules stated in the brochure.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Now Amber Master suite w/plunge pool. Great views overall. Sunny at noon for prize...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

My first time ever going to a warmer climate for vacation and the now amber was the best place I believe we could have gone. The value of what you receive for what you pay is amazing. The food was great the staff exceeded our expectations of service and a very entertaining week. Going again this December!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Check in was a little chaotic but the champagne we were greeted with made it a much more painless experience. The lobby is stunning with an open air breeze and beautiful view of the ocean. The grounds were gorgeous as well. The room interior is always my most important factor when booking a hotel but in this case I made an exception. We spent so much time at our private pool outside. The best room on the deluxe side is room 1175 it has the most perfect view of the beach. It was so worth it to pay a little extra for the swim up pool. It made our girls weekend that much better. Overall, we had a fantastic time at the Now Amber. Try yoga on the beach in the morning it was such a cool experience.
On a side note I am terrified of iguanas and was in dreaded anticipation of seeing one on my trip. Sure enough I did! So just be prepared if you have reptile phobia. Anyhow, I highly recommend this all inclusive resort. Who doesn't like all you can drink piña coladas?

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

From the moment I arrived at Now Amber, I was very impressed with the resort staff as they immediately welcomed my group of friends and I with warm greetings and sincere smiles. Every server my group and I encountered (at the buffets or a la cartes) were very pleasant and overall we were very pleased with how well they tried to accommodate the requests of such a large group of us (10 people). The bartenders, drivers, and receptionists always had smiles on their faces and definitely made our stay very comfortable.

The entertainment staff (namely Juan Carlos, Hugo, Alejandro, Polux, Ali, and Irma) also made our stay very enjoyable as they coordinated lots of fun and interactive activities each day. Never once did the entertainment staff single anyone out and always encouraged us to try new things. If you ever visit Now Amber resort, make sure you make the effort to talk to such a great group of people as they will make your vacation a memorable one!

Unfortunately during my stay I had an accident while playing beach volleyball and hurt my knee pretty badly. However, I was very pleased with how well and prompt the lifeguards (namely Jairo and Ernesto) responded to my injury. I was thankful that they did such a great job in helping me clean and bandage up my leg so that it did not get infected.

Overall the resort staff, the quality of the food, and the shows/activities make Now Amber an excellent resort to visit. The only downside of the resort that I can think of is the narrow beach front, rocky shores, and murky water. Water sports were limited as the ocean tides were a bit strong during our stay. However, the beautiful swimming pools more than make up for the not-so-great ocean.

I highly recommend this resort and will definitely be back!

Suffern, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

First of all I am a travel agent and I considered my self a very well oriented person who's travelled the globe. Fist tip when arriving at the airport, just walk by and don't stop for the vendors who are their with bait to fish you in, just be polite and say "No Gracias". Once you pass them go outside to the curb and get a YELLOW taxi NOT a WHITE taxis, since these will charge you double. The taxi fare should be 10.00 pesos where the white cabs will charge 19.50. Like I said never take a WHITE taxi. Once we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by Alan at the vet with a smile and were greeted with a cold towel and champagne, nice touch. Quickly we were escorted to the front desk and were assigned room 2064 on the regular tower. I don't think preferred tower is worth the money if you ask me. Once we arrived to the room, everything was spotless and the views were amazing. We were in the 10th floor and "WOW". The grounds were amazing lush and so beautiful. We were hungry since we arrived late afternoon and headed to Carnival for the lunch buffet and there was plentiful, again. We're greeted with a smile and service for drinks were quick. That night we went to the French restaurant Bordeaux (adults only at Secrets side) and it was amazing. My husband had the rack of lamb and I had the shrimp and it was wonderful. The next day we headed to Carnival for breakfast and were greeted by lovely Nayelis and our server was Alberto who was sweet and super accommodating. These people work so hard and are there 7 days a week with no days off. I really admire them for their dedication! Breakfast was again plentiful from yogurt station to omelette station. We headed to the pool and there was the aqua aerobics Debra from New Mexico and she was wonderful. The next day we did the kitchen tour and it was so much fun and these people,chefs sous chefs, pastry chefs, assistance, waiters, ect. Work extremely hard and run a tight ship to make sure all their restaurants run efficiently. While we were there we tried Capers (italian flare) and it was really good and also Tamarindos (modern mexican) it was also excellent as well, but my favorite was Himitsu and you must do the teppenyaki table and Jesus at the cooking table was entertaining. We saw some of the shows and some of them were hit or miss. Now room service was quick and tasty. The maid service could have been a little efficient, I've seen that the rooms, some of the time get cleaned really late in the afternoon and that could be a huge flaw. The maid service replenish by mini bar all the time of our favorites I think this is a hit or miss on some guest. My favorite spot everyday was the Now lobby during sunset or everyday, I just love it there. The free wifi was spotty everywhere in the property and not sure why. I got good signal all the time at the lobby so I spend good amount there checking emails ect. I love this property and will try the Secrets side next time. Can't wait to get back!!!

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I heard a lot of people had a good time but I suppose our expectations were high seeing as we had been to the NOW Larimar in the DR. We were greatly disappointed with the NOW Amber. There was a wedding one night that had a DJ. The music was so loud and kept us awake and we had to get up early.
All the excursions you have to get yourself there. You need to taxi or city bus it everywhere.
We waited at least 20 minutes to get a drink each time if they came back at all.
We upgraded our room and they told us the price. They told us after we moved and had paid that they made a mistake and we owed $40 and needed to bring it down right away. They should have absorbed this for their mistake.
Maids cleaning the room was late in the afternoon. We were told it is their policy that the maids are not allowed to do anything special in your room like fold the towels into swans like most 5 star resorts do.
The food was often cold but the specialty restaurants were good. Twice we were late getting back to the resort and we could not get into any restaurants at 5pm. We were told we could only go to our room and get room service.
The beach is small rocks and big rocks under the water. Very hard on the feet. The beach is also very small.
The internet access is all over and you need to constantly change networks as you walk around. The wi-fi for Skype is not good. Not fast enough for a clear picture.
Dirty dishes were left in the hallways for sometimes 2 days. At least 12 hours every time we saw them.
I do not say that this is a 5 star resort compared to 5 stars I have been to. This is a good 4 star. I am not saying that you should not go but I know we will not return.

Room Tip: e upgraded to a swim out room and this was very nice. I recommend this.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mauricio M, General Manager at Now Amber Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Ms. Tara R.
Thank you for your feedback in in regards to your recent stay with us. We truly regret the outcome of your stay and will be taking the following steps to ensure no other guest experiences these inconveniences.
Your excursions can be really close or take you as far away from the resort as you like. Since they are not part of your all inclusive, transportation is an out of pocket expense. Excursions sold at our resort all have what is known as a meeting place. The most common meeting places are the Maritima Terminal or the airport, a short 5- 15 minute ride away from the resort.
Our internet service is constantly being overseen by our very capable IT department. We would have loved to have had the opportunity to take a look at your device to determine what the issue was.
On your next visit we ask that you please approach your concierge and ask your suite be given attention at the time that is best for you. We aim to have all the suites cleaned and in pristine condition early on the day. Our standards are high and this can be in occasion very time consuming. In regards to the towels, although a towel swan may be a nice detail however we feel the matter of hygiene (maids handling cleaning products and then your towel) is more important.
Now Amber has the luxury of having the deep blue Pacific Ocean as its backdrop in the beautiful Banderas Bay. We work hard to provide you the very best beach experience Mother Nature´s tide will allow.
The staff member who upgraded you has been asked to go over the upgrade prices and wants to extend their appreciation for your patience with this matter. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your swim out room and hope you will return and enjoy it again.

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!