“Great resort and staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Now Amber Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Now Amber Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   David Alfaro Sisqueiros 164 | Col. Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #8 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Stony Plain, Canada
“Great resort and staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Let me start off by saying that a lot of the reviews that are negative, are towards other guests at the resort and not the grounds or staff. This is NOT managements fault for people that travel here.

This resort was beautiful no matter where you looked. The food was sometimes cold when it came, but it was very good none the less. there was a good selection at the buffets except the lunch ones didn't have a ton of selection. I think there are still some learnings that the resort is working out being as it's still fairly new. If there are people that complain about kids around making a bunch of noise, then they werent there when we were, and they should've coughed up the extra cash and stayed at the adults only side. All the kids and parents were great when we were there, and when we did frequent the adult side, we found that it was a colder decor, and not near as much fun. We do have kids, but never had them while we were on this trip, and found the pool area quite relaxing.

The rooms were wonderful and the beds were the most comfortable ones I've ever slept on, and I travel twice a year and stay at 4 1/2* or higher hotels every time. The cleaning staff did a great job in our rooms daily. Now, not everyone tips the staff, and that is up to you wether or not you do. If you can afford to travel from wherever you came from however, then I'm sure $2 or $5 bucks a day to make sure they give you all the little extras and take extra care in your room will be well worth it. If you choose NOT to do this, then don't be surprised if they do the basics and move on to the next room.

Entertainment was good for the shows I seen. Some of the shows that we had wanted to see had overlapped with the dinners we had, and since the a' la' carte restaurants only open at a certain time, then this was unavoidable. Poor timing of some of the shows, but like I have said, it's hotel learnings and reviews like this will hopefully help them work these out. There wasn't enough late night entertainment geared towards the adults though on the family side, OR the adult side. The disco was the only thing to do after around 11 p.m., and the "Dj" if thats what you would like to call him, played a continuous loop of music that never had an option of skipping past because he was never around. 4 of our 14 nights were spent attempting to have a good time in there, but it just couldn't happen. Every single person in the disco on the nights we were there had agreed, so I doubt it was just my taste in music.

Now as far as the beach goes, it's Puerto Vallarta people!!! If you want great beaches, then I hate to tell you, Puerto Vallarta is NOT known for great beaches! The beach at this hotel was just as good as any other resort that I have stayed at in P.V. and the staff would clean it daily and attempt to keep the rocks off of it. Unfortunately this resort is in an area where there are rocks in the water. There is probably a few beaches around that you can find that are private, or maybe even public, but it'd be doubtful that it would be at another resort. And if it was, you'd pay double the price.

The entertainment staff were very friendly and worked extremely hard all day long to keep people interested and active. The activities were fun for adults and kids. Some off the pool games we had got pretty competetive when there weren't kids playing, and it was well organized.

The swim up bar was fantastic, and even though the bartenders were overwhelmed with service, they worked extremely hard to get you your drinks in a timely fashion. If you watch, they aren't just making drinks for the people in and around the pool, but the waiters are bringing drinks to everyone around the beach area as well. This could be upwards of 200+ people for 2 bartenders! I'm sure that it wouldn't be any easy task.

Juan and Omar at the main pool bar were very personable and would ALWAYS go out of there way to make your drinks exactly the way you want them. If you want great drinks, and great service, then tip them well and you'll see why! You won't regret making friends with these two guys that work that hard to get your drinks. And TRUST me, they WILL remember you and your names.

When something doesnt come at the snap of your fingers, sit back, watch them work for their 10-12 hour shifts daily, 6 days a week in the hot sun, FULLY clothed, without taking breaks, and doing it with a smile on their faces, then maybe your 1 out of 10 drinks that arrive 5 minutes late won't seem so bad! SMILE! You're on vacation. Take your turn, be polite, treat others well, and watch how fun things will be for you.

The location was perfect. Close to the airport and everything else you'd want to do. The Waterpark was lots of fun and even if you didnt have kids. There are great restaurants in town and the Malicon was only a $5-$10 cab ride to get to depending on the time of the day.

Enjoy your vacation! This resort is definitely worth going to and it's really good for families. I hope this review helps your choice and if you have questions, feel free to ask them.

Room Tip: Every room faces the ocean. Above the 3rd floor is your best bet so that you can see above the trees...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

946 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

It was absolutely amazing. The Now Amber Resort was spectacular, with beautifully appointed rooms, exceptionally well trained and friendly staff, and much more.

When we arrived, we were greeted with a glass of champagne and a cool facecloth before we made it to the lobby. I would highly recommend the Preferred Club upgrade as we had a separate check in and concierge which took no time at all. Also... the Preferred Club room had "full size" amenities including sunscreen, skin cream, shampoo / conditioner, and also toothpaste, toothbrush, razor, shaving cream, and other standard toiletries. An amazing bathroom with a soaker tub, a 3" by 6" shower with a bench, and double sinks... all granite.

The hotel is so new that everything is in good order. All rooms are ocean view (except the main building's main and second floor which face the ocean, but have the pool and gardens in between (i think they are called Gardenview rooms). The Preferred Club building that we stayed in also had a separate bar and lounge area which had hot and cold breakfast, and hot and cold snacks all day. Our room also had a Jacuzzi tub on the balcony. Well worth it! In room safe was free and easy to use. Mini bar stocked daily with pop, Corona, juice, bottled water, Pringles, and M&M chocolate bars.

The facilities are exceptionally well maintained. Pools are clean. Towels are readily available and we never had difficulty finding beach loungers at any time of the day... wherever we wanted to be (pool or beach).

The restaurants are all ala carte except for the Carnival Buffet. I think families are a bit limited in where they can eat as most of the ala carte restaurants are adult only and change on a rotational basis. So... most nights there would be only one or two options for families. Since we traveled without the boys... we were able to eat anywhere, without reservations. The best part is that there are no wristbands and no reservations required for any of the restaurants! They are all amazing... we ate ala carte all 7 nights. All meals were like eating at a five star restaurant (Asian, Italian, Mediterranian, seafood, french, etc.). There is "free" (included) room service 24/7... we never tried it though... lots of great quality food everywhere.

The lobbies are open air and face the water with incredibly comfortable chairs. great sunsets. And the weather was unbelievable... 29 or 30C everyday... no rain or clouds!

Having a relatively small footprint compared to other resorts that we have stayed at... it was quick to get to anywhere in the resort. Also... lots to do outside the resort. We were able to walk on the beach or through the streets to "downtown" in about 25 minutes. Lots of shopping within minutes of the hotel... and we walked / or took a taxi (50 peso to most areas) and felt safe no matter what time of day. The resort has a "Now" side and a "Secrets" side... they are basically identical, but the Secret side is adult only.... they have their own pools and restaurants. Since there is no wristbands, we were able to go to which ever side we wanted to. All restaurants (on both sides) are accessible to guests of both Now and Secrets.

It is obvious that Puerto Vallarta is trying to revitalize its reputation as everyone is exceptionally friendly.

We only did one excursion... whale watching with Vallarta Adventures. We went out on a 25 person zodiac boat with a well versed marine biologist. For the almost the entire 3.5 hours, we were within 25-30 feet of humpback whales. Well worth the money!

The spa at the resort is beautiful, but expensive. There are at least 5 massage studios within two blocks of the resort which offer very inexpensive massage. We had a couples massage for 75 minutes for $50USD total. The fitness centre is very well equipped... but didn't use it once!

The beach was actually much nicer than we expected and what we have read on TripAdvisor. Soft golden sand and the water was quite clear and warm. But... certainly not like the Caribbean beaches / water. Lots of activities too... many organized by the entertainment team... kayak tours, beach volleyball, water polo, blackjack tournaments, bingo, Spanish lessons, dancing, water aerobics, etc.

The only downsides:

The free wifi (for Preferred Club) was a bit sketchy... tough to get going... usually only worked in the lobby and it was somewhat slow. Having said that... free international telephone calls from the room were excellent value.

The beach does have vendors that do approach you if you go beyond the rope barrier on the beach... they are polite and leave you alone if you say no... but they are on you right away. Counter their opening price with an offer of half... usually close to what we paid.

The entertainment shows at night ... were "okay". They try hard, but they are just okay.

Finally... the resort next door to the Now side of the resort has a very loud air conditioner that we could hear to some degree from our room. We were on the 7th floor (8 floors total on Preferred Club, and 15 floors in regular) about half way down the hall ... it wasn't a big deal... but, if on the first or second floor and close to the end of the hall... it would drive someone crazy. definitely recommend higher floors whether Preferred Club or regular... worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The resort was beautiful. The food was very good especially at the Bordeaux. The portions were small but was just right. When you check in don't pay for a room upgrade as all the rooms have a view of the ocean. Resort credits are worthless unless you want a romantic dinner on the beach. There are a number of places right outside the hotel you can get a massage for 25,00 for 90 minutes. Claudia's is one place we went and loved it.. Room service was good-my room bar was filled a couple of times a day. I would recommend the perferred pkge. You have your own private bar area with computers, plus in the lobby they have hot food, sandwiches and deserts all day. Our check in went faster to. Downtown was ok-there is a beautiful church and alot of vendors. We did a dunebuggy tour and had a great time. Take the bus instead of taxi's, you'll save alot of money. We've stayed at alot of places in Mexico and this ranks at the top.

Room Tip: Rooms may be quieter on th south side but the north side rooms get a nice breeze.
Allen, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our Travel agency arranged our ride from & to the Airport! Awesome-

As we pulled into the Resort we were PLEASANTLY surprised....Absolutely beautiful!!
We were greeted with a cool towel & a great glass of sparkling wine! And lots of smiles & friendly faces. We were directed where to go for check in, but I was confused a bit as a bellman was really trying to separate us from our luggage--maybe that was a good thing! But we prefer to take our luggage to the room with us or with the bellman.....But seems he was suggesting we look around the Resort & he will bring them up later! NOT-

The Lobby was beautifulllll....the Front desk girl was very nice, but did not provide me/us with some necessary info--that you only realize later in your trip!! We were taken to our room by "Beto" he was Great!! Once in the room, we were in Awe of the beauty-- we had an Ocean View & could hear the waves of the water instantly. Can you say ALL- INCLUSIVE TRULY!! It was great!
Few lil snafus’. The desserts are not as decadent as I would have desired...but I was there with a lg. group doing a boot camp, so I really did not need the desserts to be good--- The food was OK!! You must try the carrot and corn soup at "Castaways Restaurant". Our 1st housekeeper seemed great, but then left for 4 days off! The one we got in her place was less than average. Two people in a room & one day she literally left us ONE body towel! Did I say two females to a room?? Really one towel?! WTH (I will not say her name out of respect). We left a very small tip & it killed us to do so--as both of us believe in leaving good no great tips---but the service was just not good!
The do Need a serving window for room service, as they are definitely on time and the cart makes noise as it rolls down the hallway. BUT how cool is it to have FREE room service (well it's paid in my pkg, but still --it seemed free) All in all this was a GREAT experience & would easily recommend that anyone try it for themselves. OOHH wait the massages, every day my roomie and I had the BEST $25 massages for 75 minutes and a $5 top--- where can you get such a deal?? And Go to Majestic Massages, see Anna if you like a medium to deep tissue massage. My back & shoulders love her--- Don't fret, "Healing hands" and "Majestic massages" seem to be run by the same Lady!!
EASY access to the Malecon Mall (local shopping/souvenir shops) and the Airport-- Best location ever to me and YOU must try "Vista Grill" Restaurant. Awesome experience...Thanks to my traveling companion & her cousins recommendation. Also, they need to add a few signs they say "Watch your step" My friend fell once into a hole in the lobby/cafe area & I almost bit it coming out of the lobby area as I was leaving the Hotel...there was a step down that I did NOT see!!
Overall a Great Place to get some sun & have a Fab time...and I am a very picky person! some times a lil hard to please...NOT HERE!! GO!!! and Fast! before the satff or Hotel gets bought out or something crazy!!

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor & to the left ! away from the Music at the pool area...Very Noisy down...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband & I just return from on sat. from the Now Amber in PV and can not say enough great things about this resort.We had a bad experience in Jamaica a few years ago and were hoping we could have a better one on our next all inculsive and we did.
Never did we see or have a grumpy staff encounter.
The serves & food was top notch all the way.
The only negative is the staff that try to get you to go to the timeshare breaskfast, we were about it ahead of time so we didnt fall for the 1.5 hrs meeting (actually 4-5 hrs) We just told them that we would think about and were never bothered again.
We took advantage of the massages outside of the resort and were thrilled with the professionalism of each place we went ,you can't go wrong ,I went to two places and had three different massage theraphists and I'm sad to say I'll probably never have a better one in Canada!
We went Rhythm of the Nights & had a great experience, worth the cash!
All in all I'm hoping that we will be able to return next year but have a feeling that it will be out of our price range next year.

Room Tip: I would want ocean front,beautiful views.
Ellinwood, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Arrived to Now Amber very quickly. Airport was the easiest i have got through in all the years we have been going to PV. As we pulled into the resort was offered cool wash clothes but no drink(4th time to a Am Star) that was a bummer. Check in was not very good as we were being checked in we were shoved to the side so a lady could complain about her room, not cool as we were the only ones checking at the time. Room was nice(#1451) but the had construction just right outside of it from our day there to our last day and it still isnt done FYI. Housekeeping never cleaned the room til late afternoon(4:00 to 5:00 PM) Last night there it wasnt cleaned at all. As far as the food it was good and the service was great. The beach i thought was awesome and Able is the best beach waiter. All in all it was a good place but i have stayed in Dreams PV and liked it better.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view dont waste the money for up grade
Manning, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed at Now Amber from Jan 25th - Feb 1st. The first thing you notice when you arrive at this resort is the beautiful view from the lobby, it is spectacular. At the resort we were taken to the preferred club check in. Check in was painless and our bags were delivered to our room 10 minutes after we got there. So many positives to list about this resort: no wrist bands, no towel cards, you don't have to make reservations at the restaurants, the resort is new and clean, the staff was very happy and helpful. Our room was very nice and open with lots of space, we were on the 4th floor of the preferred club.

There are a lot of different activities throughout the day: kayaking, beach volleyball, tequila tasting, aqua aerobics, bar tending lessons, Spanish lessons, bingo around the pool, pool volleyball. It seemed like there was always something happening, if you didnt want to take part you were never pressured into it.

The food at the resort was great, the buffets had a great selection for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We ate at the Italian restaurant 2 times and the Japanese restaurant 2 times. The Italian was pretty good, the steak was cooked perfectly the first night, the 2nd night the pasta carbonara was tasty. Also had the mussels which tasted as good as it looked. At the Japanese restaurant we had the tepenyaki, the cook put on an exciting show and the food was excellent. Also my wife is allergic to seafood and nuts. The resort gave her a card listing her allergies in English and Spanish. We gave ous server this card at the restaurants and they would alert the other servers and cooks. At the Tepenyaki the cook waited till her beef was cooked and then put the seafood on the grill after serving her meal first. Ate the sushi the 2nd time at the japanese restaurant and it was as good as any sushi i've had in Canada.

During our stay we spent most of our time around the pool. The pool was heated which was nice. This is the kid friendly side of this complex so there were kids in and around the pool. We didn't mind the kids, they were funny to watch. This is not a party resort. There were a few drinking games during the week we were there, we didn't see anyone drink too much and get out of hand though.

The nightly entertainment were the best we have seen for an all inclusive resort, the mexican fiesta, fire show, miriachi night and others were and excellent way to finish up the evening.

Excellent family resort, excellent couples resort if you're looking to relax. It is easy to meet people and make friends with others. If you are looking for a party place, I would suggest the adults side at secrets which is in the same building.

In all our vacation was awesome, we will return in the future with kids. The staff was top notch, Nayely was our favourite worker, she was the hostess in the breakfast and lunch buffet.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Preferred Club on the 4th floor. I would recommend going on a different floor sinc...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!