“Just as sweet the second time!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Now Amber Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Now Amber Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   David Alfaro Sisqueiros 164 | Col. Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #8 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Tsawwassen, Canada
“Just as sweet the second time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort when it first opened in April. We liked it so much that we decided to bring our two boys back for a week. We stayed from December 12 to the 19th. Originally we were booked into the “regular” tower but we upgraded to the Preferred Tower after the first night just as an extra bonus. When my husband and I stayed in April we booked into the Preferred Tower and when we inquired about the difference between the regular and the preferred we were told that the rooms are identical in both towers, this is in fact true. The rooms are identical in every way. The “perks” you pay for when you upgrade to the preferred are: private check in and check out , wonderful concierge who you will rarely have to stand in line to speak to, a very attentive bartender on the second floor ready to hand you a drink at a moment’s notice, two computers with internet and a printer to use at your whim. A small buffet of treats laid out for you as you walk into the tower and a nice sitting area. In your room you get little bottles of hard alcohol, peanut M&M’s and Pringles and some bath products in the bathroom. If you don’t need any of those things then you will be perfectly happy in the regular tower. It’s not like Dreams PV where the difference between the towers is like night and day.
Back in April when the resort was at 12% capacity I wondered how the resort would handle pool and beach seating when the resort was full. Well this time the resort was much busier and finding a seat wasn’t a problem. We spent most of our time at the kid’s pool with my 4 year old. He loved the waterslide, as did my 12 year old....in fact there were even some adults that seemed to like it. My 12 year old took advantage of all the activities that were offered by the Entertainment Team...I barely saw him. The Core Zone for the teens is a great area for them to hang out but I was happy to see that it was usually empty because all the kids were outside playing rather than inside playing video games and air hockey. The Explorers club for the younger kids was quite impressive as well, they had just about every activity available that you can imagine and when you drop your child off they will give you a buzzer to page you when your child is ready to leave. I really liked the daily itinerary they give you every night that lists the events for the next day as well as which restaurant are open.
We enjoyed the food, especially breakfast. Dinners on the beach were nice, though the entertainment left something to be desired. My kids are kind of picky eaters and they found something to eat everyday no matter where we ate. It would have been nice if I could have taken my kids into the Japanese restaurant. My boys love sushi and were very disappointed. The 24 hours room service is a nice perk. Try the chicken quesadillas. Yum!
The beach is not great, it is pretty rocky and the water is rough but then again we spent most of our time by the pool so it didn’t matter much to me.
The staff at this hotel is amazing. Seriously. We saw some of the same faces from back in April and also made some new friends and each of them helped to make our vacation special in their own way and for that we thank them. Adriana, Daniel, Gastavo, Boni, Migel, both bartenders in the preferred tower deserve a special mention though really everyone we encountered treated us wonderfully.
We will return to this resort again. And again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
edmond, ok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Now Amber for the week of Dec 17th

We stayed in the preferred tower in room 1677 (6th floorm ocean view, jr suite).. great view!

The room had a very comfortable bed, lots of pillows. The bathroom was gorgeous..the tub was huge. The shower was clogged and leaked everywhere the first time we tried to shower but someone came up and fixed it within ten minutes.

The staff was wonderful, very nice. I loved the preferred tower. They were extra nice to us, we were allowed to check in very early. We had special concierges to help us whenever we needed anything, yummy snacks in the preferred lounge, the best bar tender on the 2nd floor, and our balcony had a hot tub.

The hotel itself was gorgeous and very clean. There were lots of restaurants.
My husband and I are vegetarians. We loved the breakfast buffet.. so much to choose from and very very good. The lunch buffet was pretty good too, but the buffet isnt open for dinner. They had a buffet down by the pool one night and on the beach (with live music)... there was nothing at all for us to eat though... tons of meat! But the specialty restaurants were sooo good. We loved the french restaurant (on the secrets side, so no kids allowed) and the italian one. The coffee shop was also yummy.

The beach was beautiful. The water was very rocky and not the best to swim in, but the view was lovely and there were always lots of towels.. plenty of chairs by the beach and pool. The pools were clean and it never seemed crowded at all.

Overall we loved it. Our only request would be more vegetarian options at the buffets.. but the specialty restaurants did have a lot of veg options that were marked on the menus so no complaints here!

Clinton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The Now Amber is fairly new and they are still working out a few kinks in things, but nothing that I would consider a reason not to enjoy the hotel right now. I have stayed in several NOW properties and like their concept.
The restaurants are nice, food good and service through out the hotel was outstanding. I like that I don't have to make dinner reservations and that most of the restaurants are not buffets. I like not wearing an arm band. I was pleasantly surprised by the beds and the room. I love that the chair ratio to guest was wonderful, none of this "playing the chair game" of saving chairs early or not having one.

What I didn't like was that after a long flight, running the time-share gauntlet at the airport and finally getting to the hotel and thinking a person was going to show me to my room, that we was ambushed by their own people to listen to the "Vacation Club" spiel. This is a really tacky tactic on the AM resort's part. I am surprised that they endorse this. They seem very upscale otherwise. We listened the next morning and are thinking about it. But REALLY upon check-in! If it is that great of a deal, give us a minute to enjoy the hotel and grounds then approach us.

Another suggestion would be for the hotel to change up the lunch buffet selection. After 10 days it would have been nice to see some different offerings. On the other hand the special offerings daily at the pool were a very nice touch, even though I didn't partake.

Music in the lobby in the evening was very nice.

I was most impressed by the staff and the service they provided with a smile. Even the room service people went out of their way to encourage you to get whatever you wanted. The spa, while overpriced was exceptional. I think if they would lower their price to $80.00 for a massage and use of the hydro-therapy room, they would be busy all the time.

Room Tip: We were on the 11th floor, but in all honesty I don't think there are any bad rooms
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We traveled Dec 12-19, the trip was amazing beginning to end! The resort was gorgeous, the service was great, and the food was also great. The rooms were so nice, lots of space. Id recommend a higher floor for better views of the ocean. Our favorite restaurant was Himitsu ..... Best Japanese food ever. We ate there 3 nights out of the 7... only because we found out about it later. Needless to say.... WE WILL BE BACK!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Now Side.... anything higher then the 5th floor
edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

From Dec.2-9,my wife and I spent our time here being spoiled and pampered. Excellent check-in at concierge Preferred Club Tower with Violeta. Room entrance decorated with a sash hanging across the door, saying "Happy Anniversary". Tub filled with bubble bath, and rose petals spread along the rim of the tub.A chilled bottle of champagne a vase of roses ,a congratulatory letter for our anniversary and rose petals sprinkled on the foot of our bed was a wecome sight. Beds are very comfy, A.C. quiet, 40" T.V. with a cd/dvd player,black-out drapes, and modern furniture all within a very spacious room. Try the 24hr. room service which has over 30 items to choose from, and will arrive in 30 mins. or less. We stayed on the second floor, a short walk to the P.C.T. lounge down the hall-way. Benny and Gilberto are the bartenders here and they can let you try some of the finest tequilas,brandys,scotch,ryes,vodkas and other liqueurs, as well as Bud and Bud Lite and Corona and Modelo beers. Tamarindo a la carte was our favorite to eat at. Wonderful aura and a four piece band playing from table to table made this a special place. Waiter service was above par and food tastely presented and delish. Portions can be small, so ask how big they are before ordering and do not be shy to ask for more with order if you feel it is too small. Too many restaurants and buffets to choose from for one week, but French,Asian,Italian were all very good with the Italian being a little slow in service and overly bright in lighting. Pool and beach buffets were quite varied and well presented. We spent one evening for dinner at Dreams P.V. at Seaside restaurant. Recommend it to all. Superb service and a great menu to choose from. All included with Now Amber, you just need to pay the taxi fare to get there. Dreams P.V. at one time was called Camino Real and is 43 years old. The public washrooms remind me of a place that time forgot. Dumpy,worn,small and not anywhere as opulent as the ones at Secrets/Now Amber. If you grow weary of the beach vendors at N.A. you can find refuge at the pools or our favorite place just to the west o the P.C.T. Here you will find a grassy area with loungers,beach umbrellas and waiter service. Very few if any vendors will approach you here and you still have the same view of the beach as the people sitting on the sand. Outstanding service anywhere in the resort. Sandals,Barcelo,Melia,RIU,Breezes and Bahia resorts being many of the All. Incs. we have stayed at ,Now ranks with our top three of all. It is a tie between Excellence Cancun,Now Amber and Playacar Palace. Highly recommend the Now Amber for the Puerto Vallarta area.

Richmond, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We went in December to get away from the cold. Great resort for famillies. The staff was friendly, good food, and good kids club. There's nothing bad to say about this hotel.

What you need to look out for is the reps for vacation packages(sunwing, westjet,etc.). They scare you by telling you not to buy your excursions else where because you can't trust them. I was ripped off from them. They quoted me different prices for the same excursion. You can get much cheaper packages down the busy road.

Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We have just returned from a two week stay (Nov 30-Dec 14) at the Now Amber Resort in Puerto Vallarta and must start by saying this was the best vacation we have ever had. From the moment we arrived at the resort we were treated to Unlimited-Luxury®, towels and champagne were provided as we exited the bus from the airport. Our bags were taken care of & we were escorted to the front desk where Valery took care of us promptly and professionally. She explained everything including the free local & long distance calls to the US & Canada and the calls that were not included.
After a brief visit with the Residency Club sales person we went to our room and had our luggage delivered minutes later. Our room, a junior suite, was on the 11th floor & from the deck we were provided with a panoramic view of the entire resort & of Banderas Bay. The king bed seemed twice the size of a normal bed and was comfortable to sleep in. The bathroom has sliding paneled doors around it & they can be opened to provide the feeling of complete openness. The bathroom had 2 sinks, a frosted glass shower, a Jacuzzi tub and in a separate room a toilet. The shower was huge and there was always sufficient hot water. Towels, washcloths and supplies (soap, shampoo etc) were plentiful and replenished daily. The robes and slippers that were provided were a nice touch. The air conditioning was quiet and efficient and a huge, quiet, ceiling fan was great for at night when we wanted to leave the balcony doors open and listen to the ocean. Remember the air conditioning will not run if the balcony doors are even slightly open.
Our internet connection was fine for everyday use and as there were several available access points that could be accessed from our room we were able to switch as necessary to find the best connection. Even sitting on the beach under a palapa I could use my Ipod to surf the web and send emails. There were three elevators in our tower & they were fast and always in service.
The free room service was incredible and I think my wife enjoyed talking to Victor when she called more than talking to me in the morning! My wife ordered breakfast every morning and within 10 minutes her order was delivered by a smiling employee who was always friendly and courteous. The free mini bar was filled daily and contained pop, water and cute mini sized Coronas.
The employees at this hotel work extremely hard around the clock and do everything possible to please you. Valery at the front desk always seemed to be there morning, afternoon and night. She was always pleasant and did everything possible to assist you. The maid service was very good and every night would provide a turn down service and leave chocolates and a daily event newsletter for the next day. Maintenance and cleaning employees always seemed to be cleaning the elevators, pools, gardens, washrooms and other resort areas. This place is not only clean it is immaculately clean.
And now the restaurants.
Our favorite was the Bordeaux (French) because both the food and the service were excellent. This was truly gourmet dining and the serving sizes were sufficient to allow you to have salad/appetizer, soup, main dish and dessert. The serving staff were the best, especially Carlos and Gil. On our last night we were treated to a “Carlos Coffee” an item not on the menu and only served when the restaurant is quiet because there are a lot of flames going on as various liquors are ignited and poured between glasses and dishes. It was quiet spectacular! Juan and Jorge also provided excellent service when we were unable to be served by Carlos. Chef Armondo even made himself available when we had questions about ingredients and cooking methods.
The Garden Cafe offered a buffet for breakfast and lunch but was a la carte for supper. The buffet was very good and provided enough selection to satisfy just about any appetite. The service here was excellent and the food was superb. The Himitsu (Asian) is yet another fantastic place to eat. The menu is varied and the food is excellent especially the shashimi. Martin was our waiter every time we went and he bent over backwards to please. Capers (Italian) was probably the busiest of the a la carte restaurants and despite the high traffic both the service and food was very good. The Oceana and Castaways are basically the same restaurant, the former is on Secrets side the latter on the Now side. When eating here try to get Antonio as a waiter. The food is mostly seafood and once again meets the high standard that is found throughout. . The Tamarindo (Mexican) serves fine Mexican food in an authentic Mexican setting complete with a band.The Carnival buffet is one of the best buffets I have dined at. I found the smoked salmon and Bloody Mary’s started my days of with a kick. The food here was always fresh and on many occasions I watched as the chefs prepared the seafood, crab, calamari, snapper, mahi mahi etc and the end product was delectable. Every morning I was greeted by Allessandra and Nyali, two of the nicest hostesses (and probably the youngest) , in the Carnival. The Barefoot Buffet, a poolside snack shack, provided hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, pizza etc for those times when a quick snack was in order. The Coco Café has the most incredible sandwiches and pastries which for the most part I was able to avoid eating!
The beach waiter service was both professional and efficient I found Gustavo, Martin, Caesar and Alex to be exceptional. In fact service in all the bars was very good and the premium liquor added to the enjoyment. We tried the Disco lounge one night but given our ages and the volume level we didn’t last long!
The entertainment team did a wonderful job of putting on nightly performances on the beach, in the theatre and on the outdoor stage. Karaoke, Mayan dancers, Mexican Fiesta, Caribbean night, Grease, International dance show and Circuses just to name a few and to make things even better the beach shows were accompanied by a buffet dinner served on the beach. The lead person in the entertainment team was Hugo who remembered our names from day one.
In summary we would have to say the Now Amber is the best place we have ever stayed. The food is top notch, the service is exceptional and the location is great. We would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor for the best view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!