“Beautiful, Great Service, but not Super Tasty” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa

You added Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   David Alfaro Siquerios No. 164 | Col Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Boston, MA
“Beautiful, Great Service, but not Super Tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We had been to the Secrets in Cabo the year prior, so we knew what to expect (and recognized that Cabo, in general, is a much higher-quality / nicer resort town). We loved it so much in Cabo, we wanted to go back. And, it was great! The beach was beautiful, albeit a bit rocky, the pool was delightful - we barely got out of it - and the service was tremendous. The entire staff is so friendly, always, and we love it. The areas which could have used improvement were the quality of the food and the speed / quality of the wifi. It was frustrating to get to a buffet and realize the ribs were inedible (opposite of falling off the bone), and for our return trip, even though we were logged into wifi, there was no chance of downloading anything, to any device. So, kudos to Secrets for creating an oasis, with amazing service and great pool / outdoor space, but they should work on their quality of food!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This hotel was awesome. Great top of the line booze. Very friendly staff. Fernado #1 (shorter person) was amazing at serving our very large group and always smiling.
Rooms we always made up later in the afternoon but a great job done every day.
the only thing lacking a little was the entertainment staff were a little light and could have done more to get people involved. Missed the pool bingo that happened on our previous trip.
Five star all the way. the French restaurant was amazing as well.
Great hotel to go to for a kid free adult holiday......would go back again.

Room Tip: All rooms pretty well rooms with a view. No need to spend the extra $$$
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Yorktown, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Had an great stay at Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Only issue was the room. I was in 1815. Great room in itself but the view and noice from the entry area stunk! Liertally! The room exposure from the front door over looked a junky parking area, unpaved. The tour busses and some run down taxi's parked there. As well, there must have been a part time "farmer" with a bunch of chickens and a very loud rooster! Every day around 5:30 or so in the morning the dam thing would crow loudly! Then when you finally got out of your room, say around 730, the darn busses would kick up diesel smog and dust! Nasty mess to walk into coming out of your room to go get breakfast!

The room was great thou! Service could have been a little better than recieved. I was in bed the first night by 10PM fast asleep (long trip there!) and the maids came in to "turn down the bed!". A but distubing to say the least. That only happened once, partially my fault as I did not put the do not disturb sign on the door.

Food was fair to say the least. Had the steak at the buffet and was VERY disapointed! RAW! Had them re cook it. Selection was lacking at the buffets.

The free internet worked fine if you were in the lobby. Therwise it was a no go!

Room Tip: DO NOT get a room on the southern end of the main hotel.
platte sd
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

WE went DEC9th to 15th with two other couples had a wonderful time liked all the restaurants nice touch with a mini buffet at the pool it was great grilled chicken flank steak nachos yum shows at night were descent Disco was fun have gone to Mexico last 8 years never same resort might have to break that mold next year

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Great hotel, super friendly staff, cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in. I've been to Mexico five times, this was the best hotel in Mexico. The only complaint I would make was that there wasn't very much nightly entertainment (Cancun was much better for the shows). The restaurants all had great food and you didn't have to make reservation/have a maximum amount of restaurants you could try. We went as a group of six, with two vegetarians and never had an issue finding great food (minus the Mexican Buffet held on the beach, there was nothing vegetarian). The staff really made the trip fantastic. Highly recommend this hotel and going for the $25/hr massage at Healing Hands (at the end of the hotels driveway).

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Spruce Grove, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I have written a lot of reviews and have only ever written on other negative review!

We stayed at the Secrets Vallarta Bay in early November and chose here because of the great reviews.

CONS:

We paid to stay in the Premier room, which meant express check-in. Nothing fast about it this time. They sat us in the lounge where we sat for almost 20 minutes. Just when we thought our check -in was complete, they sent us to another desk to chat with another guy. This is where we got really frustrated. He proceeded to try to sell us on the "Secrets CLUB" (Timeshare) we must have spent another 20 minutes telling him as politely as possible, "No Thank-you"
After a total of about 45 minutes we were able to go to our room where our luggage still hadn't arrived. It is after 7:00pm, we are tired and hungry. Frustrating.

- Restaurants - We only ever had three meals that arrived "HOT" . One in the Asia Restaurant and two at the Italian (both of which were our favourites) Every meal we ordered was always luke warm at best. The french fries were always cold and seemed like they had been sitting for long periods of time. Yuk! The lunch buffet didn't have a lot of selection..... and no "Salad Bar" The service in the restaurants was great up until they dropped your food off, then they forgot all about you. Never asked if we wanted refills on drinks ect. Also, very slow. I know we are on vacation and things don't need to be rushed. But there is a thing as just way too slow! :-)

- Beach- (not the resorts fault) but the beach has some very rocky parts to it..... and please note : Bring Water Shoes . When walking into the ocean , it is very rocky!!
- Also, at any given time or day, there are a LOT of vendors. They seemed to be allowed up on the Secrets Beach to bother everyone. The one day I counted 26 just in front , this was not counting the ones at the sides . We did buy some stuff and we don't mind a few... but when you can't even look out at the ocean because they are all lined up or they think then you want to buy something because you look up!! Crazy!!

If you don't mind a noisy busy resort, then this is the place for you. There seemed to be a wedding every day that we were there, which meant that the party for the wedding carried on until 10:30 - 11 pm. The music would blare throughout the resort drowning out any other nice music that might be playing in the lounge upstairs. Disappointing !

Pros:
This resort is 10 minutes from the airport
Located right in PV so if you want to leave the resort and explore and go shopping very easy to do without having to take a taxi.

Our bed was very comfy! Our room was very clean and spacious. Our maid service was excellent. The jacuzzi tub was nice to have on the balcony.

The service on the beach was Excellent!! Our beach server, "Louis" was awesome! Always there with the perfect drink for us...... making them extra special!!!

The Service in the lounge upstairs was also excellent. The drinks made perfectly!

The resort over all is aesthetically pleasing. Very clean - the staff for the most part friendly.

Would we go back to the Secrets? No
Would we recommend to friends and family? No
Over all impression, Not impressed

Room Tip: The Premium is worth the $$
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Miguel B, General Manager at Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Robsbubba,

Please accept our deepest apologies for not having met your expectations. We regret the events that transpired during your stay and assure you we will be looking into them with the heads of the departments involved. I can share with you that myself and the staff have made efforts to personally clean up the beach to make it more inviting to our guests. We hope to be considered in your future holidays and show you the improvements first hand.

Miguel Beltran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I had never stayed in an all-inclusive before. I loved every minute. I traveled to PV/Secrets for my birthday. When I went up to my room there was a Happy Birthday sash angled across the door. I was surprised :D I went inside and was amazed at the size of the suite and the awesome view of the Bay. There was a jacuzzi tub which I utilized. As I entered the bedroom portion of the room there was another surprise - a chocolate mouse dessert on a decorated plate w/Happy Birthday, and a bottle of Champagne, on ice. There were balloons on the bed, in the chairs, in the bathroom. Every room has a view of the Bay.

All of the restaurants I ate in had excellent, attentive service w/o being a bother. Martine, my waiter on two separate occasions, mind you and Alberto, the Maitre d'/Sommelier of Bordeaux were absolutely wonderful. I must say the same of Eduardo, the Maitre d' of The Marketplace, very friendly, excellent service. The entire staff of both of these restaurants was wonderful!!

There is something going on every hour of the day and a schedule is left on your bed at night of the next day's happenings.

I felt the room was peaceful & quiet. I slept quite well w/o outside disturbances. There was a smell in the room which I soon discovered belonged to the incense sticks in the room for your use. I did not particularly like that scent. I threw them away. Voila - no smell.

The free WiFi, I found, did not work well - or not at all. BTW - be sure to get your international package for your phone before you travel to any foreign country!!

The pool/beach area was quite nice; maybe more chairs would be nice on the actual beach portion. Service in the pool area is excellent, as well, although I did not get anyone's name.

Secrets is not a timeshare. It's quite different. The first few desks as you enter are with the Vacation Club. They are NOT Concierge! So do not approach them for Concierge help. Their job is to direct you to the Now side to listen to the Vacation Clubs talk. If you do not want to hear it - just say NO. If you can't say NO then don't blame them. It's that simple. But you might want to hear a little - just in case.

I liked that the Secrets side is adults only. The Now is for families. No children made my stay much more enjoyable.

I enjoyed myself immensely during my stay. EVERYONE was just amazing. I can't wait to return!
Sharon

Room Tip: My room was on the 7th fl, few doors to the right of the elevator. Very quiet, beautiful large room...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Sharon B,

Thank you for sharing your glowing review. We're thrilled you enjoyed your birthday with us and that you found your experience enjoyable from begging to end!
It pleases us to know that our staff made you feel welcomed and at home and it is with pleasure that we will share your kind comments with our Department managers. We also note your comments and observations in regards to areas which could be improved. Your feedback is appreciated. Again, thank you for your preference, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Miguel Beltran

Been to Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!